Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
OT: Buddy Guy - Damn Right Farewell Tour
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 19, 2022 21:36

[www.buddyguy.net]

--

"Guy confirmed a batch of February and March tour dates in the U.S. with more to come."

[www.jambase.com]

--

3/24 - More dates added:

[twitter.com]

--

6/20 - More dates added

[twitter.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-20 21:34 by bye bye johnny.

Re: OT: Buddy Guy - Damn Right Farewell Tour
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 19, 2022 22:29

As Mick said about John popper - he plays too many notes.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: October 19, 2022 22:49

Farewell? Dammit! And thanks for the heads up. Snagged good seats. The Toronto dates don’t go on sale on TicketBastards until Friday, but if you go direct to the Massey Hall site, they’re available now. Says there’s a code but it loads automatically. I’ll miss him. Champagne and Reefer is one of my favourite tracks - I went to Milwaukee in ‘15 when I heard he was opening in hopes they would play it and I was not disappointed.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 19, 2022 23:10

Elmo Lewis

Sacrilege!

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 20, 2022 14:11

Elmo Lewis
This reminds me of someone and my way of thinking on this is that if the said to many notes are tasteful and have something to say in a musical way from a master of there instrument then play on and on !

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 20, 2022 14:14

Buddy Guy is one of the best bluesman period

Date: October 20, 2022 15:32

TheGreek

Jimi Hendrix once cancelled a show to go watch Buddy. & remember Keith giving Buddy his guitar during the "Shine a Light" show. Ultimate respect! & Buddy is a reallly nice man. I had the chance to have a drink with him once & I just listened to him tell stories. I'll always cherish that memory. He's the last of those guys who came up to Chicago from the cotton fields & is a national treasure. We are so lucky to have him still with us & out there playing!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-20 15:34 by crholmstrom.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 20, 2022 16:44

crholmstrom
[.. We are so lucky to have him still with us & out there playing!

thumbs up

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: October 20, 2022 18:35

Does Buddy Guy have the worst tone live of everyone? Yes Incredibly trebly harsh and brittle. Sorry. Love the man but wow it’s so bad

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: October 20, 2022 19:49

Damm the guy is 86 years old!

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: October 20, 2022 20:42

At his ripe age Buddy is an all rounded nice man now. Way back in time, in the Supershow, filmed in Staines, Britain, March 1969, young Buddy Guy challenges even younger Eric Clapton in a relentless manner, carrying an edgy vibe around him, which frightened me.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: October 20, 2022 21:42

Spud
crholmstrom
[.. We are so lucky to have him still with us & out there playing!

thumbs up

I second that. Buddy is a goddam force of nature and a national treasure. Saw him perform about 6 weeks ago and he still knocks it out of the park.

Drew

Posted by: JDSAM1994 ()
Date: October 20, 2022 22:05

crholmstrom
TheGreek

Jimi Hendrix once cancelled a show to go watch Buddy. & remember Keith giving Buddy his guitar during the "Shine a Light" show. Ultimate respect! & Buddy is a reallly nice man. I had the chance to have a drink with him once & I just listened to him tell stories. I'll always cherish that memory. He's the last of those guys who came up to Chicago from the cotton fields & is a national treasure. We are so lucky to have him still with us & out there playing!

I think that the gifting of the guitar was a movie stunt. Keith still has the guitar. Saw him playing it in 2019

Date: October 20, 2022 22:35

JDSAM1994
crholmstrom
TheGreek

I think that the gifting of the guitar was a movie stunt. Keith still has the guitar. Saw him playing it in 2019

Actually it's up on the wall of Buddy's club in Chicago.

Posted by: roma1927 ()
Date: October 20, 2022 22:47

Do you think there are any chance to see him in Europe or uk in 2023? He has put three gigs in Australia and the name of his tour is “damnt right farewell world tour”

Posted by: JDSAM1994 ()
Date: October 20, 2022 23:01

crholmstrom
JDSAM1994
crholmstrom
TheGreek

That guild is there yes. But I'm referring to the white ES 345. Perhaps what I'm thinking of was an outtake. There's some pics (Very similar to the one next to the guitar at legends) of Keith and Buddy at the beacon where Keith is playing the white ES 345 in a short sleeve almost sleeveless shirt

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 20, 2022 23:31

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: October 21, 2022 02:48

JDSAM1994
crholmstrom
JDSAM1994
crholmstrom
TheGreek

That guild is there yes. But I'm referring to the white ES 345. Perhaps what I'm thinking of was an outtake. There's some pics (Very similar to the one next to the guitar at legends) of Keith and Buddy at the beacon where Keith is playing the white ES 345 in a short sleeve almost sleeveless shirt

Keith did come get the guitar after the movie stunt, but Buddy swiped another one at a show much later and told Keith if he wants it back he's gotta come and get it. Still remains in Buddy's Chicago bar.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: October 21, 2022 08:11

I wonder if that is the final tour or whether it will be like Elton John's final tour which lasts half a decade and hits every city 3 times. I have seen him at least ten times and would go once more.

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: October 21, 2022 10:54

Cooltoplady
Does Buddy Guy have the worst tone live of everyone? Yes Incredibly trebly harsh and brittle. Sorry. Love the man but wow it’s so bad

Yes, he absolutely has issues with his guitar tone, usually I can't even begin to appreciate his playing due to that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-21 10:55 by skytrench.

Posted by: Ruskafarian ()
Date: October 21, 2022 14:23

Very sad news about the passing of Buddy's piano player, Marty Sammon - he was a key member of Buddy's band for many years; passed away mid-OCT2022 unfortunately.

Marty wrote a book, which had a forward by Chuck Lavalle.

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: October 21, 2022 14:52

Speaking of books, Buddy's autobiography is definitely worth reading.

Buddy Guy, When I Left Home

Date: October 21, 2022 14:58

daspyknows
I wonder if that is the final tour or whether it will be like Elton John's final tour which lasts half a decade and hits every city 3 times. I have seen him at least ten times and would go once more.

At age 86 now you can't be sure how long it will go on. Buddy has defintely earned his rest, he's been a road warrior for a real long time. I've seen him play in a small bar with Junior Wells (he played on standing on the bar) to much larger venues. He always puts on a good show & has mentored many young blues guitar players. I'm sure you know all that @daspyknows , haha. I don't see a Seattle date yet but the announcement does say more dates to be announced.

Posted by: roma1927 ()
Date: October 21, 2022 15:50

crholmstrom
daspyknows

At age 86 now you can't be sure how long it will go on. Buddy has defintely earned his rest, he's been a road warrior for a real long time. I've seen him play in a small bar with Junior Wells (he played on standing on the bar) to much larger venues. He always puts on a good show & has mentored many young blues guitar players. I'm sure you know all that @daspyknows , haha. I don't see a Seattle date yet but the announcement does say more dates to be announced.

There are any possibilities to see him in Europe 2023?

Date: October 21, 2022 17:19

roma1927
crholmstrom
daspyknows

There are any possibilities to see him in Europe 2023?

I would guess that will happen in the more dates to be announced part of the post.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 1, 2023 18:07

Buddy played his second of three Toronto shows last night, and it’s sad to think it’s the last time I’ll see him play. He has come through nearly every spring and plays at (now newly restored) Massey Hall. He’s 86 now and slowing down a bit, but still kills. As always, he had the adoring audience in the palm of his hand - lots of stories, turning the lights on the audience when folks were singing along so he could see ‘who’s f*cking up my song’ etc. Damn, that man’s smile could light up a small country. I’ll miss you Buddy - thanks for the tunes.

Date: April 1, 2023 18:34

SomeTorontoGirl
Buddy played his second of three Toronto shows last night, and it’s sad to think it’s the last time I’ll see him play. He has come through nearly every spring and plays at (now newly restored) Massey Hall. He’s 86 now and slowing down a bit, but still kills. As always, he had the adoring audience in the palm of his hand - lots of stories, turning the lights on the audience when folks were singing along so he could see ‘who’s f*cking up my song’ etc. Damn, that man’s smile could light up a small country. I’ll miss you Buddy - thanks for the tunes.

I'm looking forward to seeing him in August.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: April 1, 2023 19:06

I’ve seen Buddy a handful of times through the years.

In the early 1990s, I saw him on a solid bill at Wolf Trap Farm Park’s Filene Center in Vienna, Virginia, between a solo set from John Hammond and a closing set from John Lee Hooker and his band. Buddy did all his guitar tricks, playing behind his back, over his head, and with his teeth, but came off as trying too hard to be flashy while lacking the soulfulness or majesty of Hammond and Hooker’s performances that night.

By far, my favorite time seeing him was at the Marcus Amphitheatre in Milwaukee opening for the Stones in 2016 on the Zip Code Tour. He played a lot of Muddy Waters material, and neither overplayed or tried to be too flashy. He also guested during the Stones set on Champagne & Reefer. It was a great night of music, and nice to see the Stones have a legit opener instead of the usual tripe they have featured too often for the last several tours.

The last two times I’ve seen Buddy have been at New Orleans Jazzfest, in 2019 and 2022. Both times he played with the shrill tone referenced above. Whether he just likes to play too loud, or has simply become tone deaf, is anyone’s guess. Last year, I simply couldn’t take it anymore, and gave up a good seat in the Blues Tent after three songs. It was the last performance slot of Jazzfest, and I didn’t want to end it on a sour note. I ended up gathering up my chair at the Main Stage where Trombone Shorty was playing. He was also being a little too showbiz, so I dropped by Paul Prudhomme’s food window to try the Shrimp & Corn Chowder before stopping into the Jazz Economy Tent to see the end of Kermit Ruffins’ tribute to Louis Armstrong. It made for a much more palatable and delightful end to the Festival for me.

God bless Buddy. I always love his playing when he shows a little restraint. His playing accompanying Muddy on Muddy Waters Folksinger is a great example. He gets too caught up in trying to prove he is on Jimi Hendrix’s level. That’s really not what I’m looking for when I listen to Blues music. Hendrix was one of a kind, and was also at his best when he dropped the flashiness and tricks and just played straight from the soul.

Posted by: Chitown23 ()
Date: April 1, 2023 19:15

I saw Buddy at his club in Chicago during his January residency in 2022 and 2023.
In 2023, his son, Greg, did a lot of playing. I don't recall Greg playing in 2022. He rips, btw.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-01 19:17 by Chitown23.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: April 1, 2023 20:01

You never know which Buddy you're going to get. There's the force of nature, hurricane of blistering six-string fire, focused and ferocious Buddy "M-ther F-ck-ng" Guy...

OR

There can be Attention Deficit Buddy who stops and starts songs, forgets what he's saying (or playing), meanders all over the stage and venue acting a bit goofy and, while entertaining, isn't terribly fulfilling musically.

# # #

I saw the former do a 45 minute opening set for the Stones in Chicago on the last night of BB tour in Chicago, 1999. He was vicious and I think he was pissed that the United Center was only a third full for his hometown set and, perhaps, because he wasn't sitting in with the Stones later. Rather, the Stones did a quick, tidy show that began at the stroke of 8pm apparently because they had to be out of the country by midnight per work/visa rules or something.

I've seen plenty of ADD Buddy shows as well. Living in a medium sized market a couple hours from Chicago we get to see Buddy at least once a year.

Also, I'm old. I saw Buddy with Junior Wells when I was in high school. I'll be 66 next month.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-03 16:37 by rbk.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1891
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home