Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
1970 European Tour
Posted by: ElectricBoogaloo ()
Date: October 17, 2022 16:47

What a wonderful tour. I did not attend it myself as I am too young, but I have listened to almost all of the shows on boots.

This tour tends to get overlooked and deserves more recognition. I think my favorite shows were Essen and Cologne.

The band was really cookin' on this tour. How fantastic would it be if they released an official recording from this tour?

Re: 1970 European Tour
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 17, 2022 17:19

Well, yeah of course. Think many of us would love this idea.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 17, 2022 17:40

A tour that’s only neglected due to the lack of truly excellent-sounding recordings. I also suspect that it’s somewhat in the shadow of the iconic U.S. tour of the previous year.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: October 17, 2022 20:29

Big Al
A tour that’s only neglected due to the lack of truly excellent-sounding recordings. I also suspect that it’s somewhat in the shadow of the iconic U.S. tour of the previous year.

thumbs up

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: October 17, 2022 22:50

and surely also eclipsed by the 71 UK farewell.

It could nice to have a complete show with support acts. I think Buddy Guy and Eric Clapton were part of it.

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: October 17, 2022 23:22

a nice find, a Rolling Stone article about 1970 European Tour

rollingstone.com/stones-finish-european-tour

"Buddy Guy and Junior Wells, who were the opening act, helped to cool things down for an hour or so".

"All three Paris shows (the last two of which were a bit, but not much, calmer) were taped by a mobile recording unit brought over from England. For an album? “We are just recording,” says Marshall Chess, new Stones recording chief, “just recording.” "

Posted by: ElectricBoogaloo ()
Date: October 18, 2022 00:39

djgab
a nice find, a Rolling Stone article about 1970 European Tour

rollingstone.com/stones-finish-european-tour

"Buddy Guy and Junior Wells, who were the opening act, helped to cool things down for an hour or so".

"All three Paris shows (the last two of which were a bit, but not much, calmer) were taped by a mobile recording unit brought over from England. For an album? “We are just recording,” says Marshall Chess, new Stones recording chief, “just recording.” "

Awesome article, thank you for sharing it!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 18, 2022 02:37

djgab

It could nice to have a complete show with support acts. I think Buddy Guy and Eric Clapton were part of it.

Clapton was on tour with Derek & The Dominos in the UK when this tour took place.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: October 18, 2022 07:18

Gazza
djgab

Clapton was on tour with Derek & The Dominos in the UK when this tour took place.

22 September 1970, Palais des Sports, Paris, France
(Eric flies out to Paris today to see Buddy Guy and Junior Wells, who are supporting The Rolling Stones. He ends up onstage with them for “It’s My Life Baby.”)

— from “Eric Clapton Day By Day The Early Years 1963-1982” by Marc Roberty

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-18 14:39 by RisingStone.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: October 18, 2022 11:55

wow!grinning smiley

now we even have footage of the opening act from paris

by the way how much of this footage was shot at paris?

is what's circulating all there is?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 18, 2022 12:22

"All three Paris shows (the last two of which were a bit, but not much, calmer) were taped by a mobile recording unit brought over from England. For an album? “We are just recording,” says Marshall Chess, new Stones recording chief, “just recording.”

In his memoir, Glyn Johns says :
"The Rolling Stones had commissioned a state-of-the-art mobile recording unit in a truck and had given the job to Stu to organize. He in turn came to me for advice and assistance.
In late September, the truck was finally finished and ready to test. So we took it to Paris to record the Stones in concert. Unfortunately the trip was wasted, as neither of the two 16-track tape machines that Stu had got some kind of deal on proved to be operable."

One problem here ;
the Mobile unit didn't receive its baptism of fire in September 1970 in Paris but in March at Stargroves...

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 18, 2022 12:54

dcba
"All three Paris shows (the last two of which were a bit, but not much, calmer) were taped by a mobile recording unit brought over from England. For an album? “We are just recording,” says Marshall Chess, new Stones recording chief, “just recording.”

"The Rolling Stones had commissioned a state-of-the-art mobile recording unit in a truck and had given the job to Stu to organize. He in turn came to me for advice and assistance.
In late September, the truck was finally finished and ready to test. So we took it to Paris to record the Stones in concert. Unfortunately the trip was wasted, as neither of the two 16-track tape machines that Stu had got some kind of deal on proved to be operable."

One problem here ;
the Mobile unit didn't receive its baptism of fire in September 1970 in Paris but in March at Stargroves...

I think the Mobile started recording in October 1970 at Stargroves.

It could very well be that no show of the 1970 tour except for the first Paris show was recorded professionally.

Mathijs

Date: October 18, 2022 14:21

ProfessorWolf
wow!grinning smiley

now we even have footage of the opening act from paris

by the way how much of this footage was shot at paris?

is what's circulating all there is?

I don’t know…

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: October 18, 2022 14:32

The fantastic show in Paris has been on my wish list for years. More recordings from this tour are always welcome.

Date: October 18, 2022 14:47

Essen 1970, one of my all time favourites. Straight from the heart.

Date: October 18, 2022 19:30

TheflyingDutchman

Thanks for posting, really, really great. MT's solo on LIV is fantastic!

Date: October 18, 2022 20:05

RobertJohnson
TheflyingDutchman

You're welcome. He plays with the feeling of a violinist. Splendid. thumbs up

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 19, 2022 03:01

RisingStone
Gazza
djgab

(Eric flies out to Paris today to see Buddy Guy and Junior Wells, who are supporting The Rolling Stones. He ends up onstage with them for “It’s My Life Baby.”)

[www.youtube.com]

Yes. With Guy and Wells. Not the Stones. Oddly enough the Dominos had a show in England that day.

Date: October 19, 2022 04:30

Gazza
RisingStone
Gazza
djgab

[www.youtube.com]

Yes. With Guy and Wells. Not the Stones. Oddly enough the Dominos had a show in England that day.

According to Roberty’s book, the Dominos played in Leicester on the 21st and Brighton the 23rd, but the 22nd was an off-day. That seems to be logical.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: October 19, 2022 04:52

Gazza
RisingStone
Gazza
djgab

[www.youtube.com]

Was Duane Allman still in the Dominioes when they’re did that tour. Would like to have heard him and Taylor playing together on stage

Date: October 19, 2022 05:10

Taylor1
Was Duane Allman still in the Dominioes when they’re did that tour. Would like to have heard him and Taylor playing together on stage

No chance, unfortunately. When the Stones toured Europe, Duane was busy touring the US with The Allman Brothers Band. He joined the Dominos onstage only twice, Tampa, 1 December, 1970, and Syracuse the following day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-19 05:16 by RisingStone.

Date: October 19, 2022 09:27

TheflyingDutchman
RobertJohnson
TheflyingDutchman

You're welcome. He plays with the feeling of a violinist. Splendid. thumbs up

The setlist is remarkable: three songs that were never recorded in the studio (official releases): Roll Over Beethoven, Let It Rock, Little Queenie, and two songs that had not been released at the time: Brown Sugar and Dead Flowers. I think they also played Honky Tonk Woman and Street Fighting Man that night, yet there were more than 33% unknowns that night (okay, Little Queenie had been available on GYYYO for a month).

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: October 20, 2022 14:48

Mathijs
dcba

One problem here ;

It could very well be that no show of the 1970 tour except for the first Paris show was recorded professionally.

Mathijs

Yes Paris was recorded.
i remember that the Stones management ask Europe1 Radio a copy of the show (maybe 5/10 years ago) but there is some troubles with the tape. That makes me think that the Stones have nothing for this tour for an official release

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-20 14:51 by AntoineParis.

Date: October 20, 2022 14:56

AntoineParis
Mathijs
dcba

One problem here ;

Mathijs

Yes Paris was recorded.
i remember that the Stones management ask Europe1 Radio a copy of the show (maybe 5/10 years ago) but there is some troubles with the tape, not good enough for an official release. That makes me think that the Stones have nothing for this tour for an official release

Date: October 20, 2022 14:59

AntoineParis
AntoineParis
Mathijs
dcba

One problem here ;

Mathijs

Yes Paris was recorded.
i remember that the Stones management ask Europe1 Radio a copy of the show (maybe 5/10 years ago) but there is some troubles with the tape, not good enough for an official release. That makes me think that the Stones have nothing for this tour for an official release.

From Europe 1 there is olympia complete shows from 65 to 67 in perfect quality (both 66 complete show!!!) I The 1964 show is definitly lost.
I had the chance to listen to all this shows, it sounded just @#$%& great

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: October 20, 2022 16:10

dcba

There's 5 minutes of footage of Johns working in the mobile studio in Paris (dated to September 24) in the Huntley Archives.

With all the film footage from Berlin, Paris and Amsterdam shot for the abandoned docu on the 1970 tour (there's nearly hours of footage of it in the Huntley Archives) there must have been some professional audio recording as well. You surely need the audio for the video.
Or this was the very reason why the docu was abandoned - because they did not succeed to get a decent audio recording (resulting from the described issues they had with the non-working tape machines).

N

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: October 20, 2022 16:54

I was there at the show in Essen / Grugahalle / Germany.
Up front. We had our arms or elbows on the edge of the stage.
A small young girl standing right next to me jumped on the stage when
Jagger left his belt after Midnight Rambler on the stage - the one he wore at the Hyde Park concert the year before - grabbed the belt and jumped back into the audience.
I still can remember Bill Wyman laughing while he was recognizing the scene.
Yes, those were the days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-20 16:57 by Phil Good.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 20, 2022 19:28

NeddieFlanders
dcba

There's 5 minutes of footage of Johns working in the mobile studio in Paris (dated to September 24) in the Huntley Archives.

With all the film footage from Berlin, Paris and Amsterdam shot for the abandoned docu on the 1970 tour (there's nearly hours of footage of it in the Huntley Archives) there must have been some professional audio recording as well. You surely need the audio for the video.
Or this was the very reason why the docu was abandoned - because they did not succeed to get a decent audio recording (resulting from the described issues they had with the non-working tape machines).

N

What is known about the abondoned docu of this tour? When the Amsterdam video material was released just about everyone was amazed the show apparently was filmed -that was as far as I know not mentioned anywhere ever. Of the many people I know who were there nobody ever mentioned seeing any camera's.

Mathijs

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: October 20, 2022 23:24

A complete video in good quality of a 1967 show. The Stones never looked cooler on stage than on that tour.I suppose none exists , unfortunately

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: October 21, 2022 02:12

Mathijs
NeddieFlanders
dcba

N

What is known about the abondoned docu of this tour? When the Amsterdam video material was released just about everyone was amazed the show apparently was filmed -that was as far as I know not mentioned anywhere ever. Of the many people I know who were there nobody ever mentioned seeing any camera's.

Mathijs

so that's what it's all from

if they don't have the professional audio to go with the video and it's just rotting away in some vault just stick up the silent footage on youtube and let the fans make something out of it

never gonna happen i know but really what do they have to lose by sharing it?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1843
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home