Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: No encore
Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: October 17, 2022 19:20

The Supersuckers have patented the FAKE ENCORE where they announce the show is over, never leave the stage and stand around a few minutes before loudly thanking the crowd for cheering for more music. Brilliant idea

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: October 18, 2022 03:43

Hi folks,

Any more comments or thoughts of yours on the Stones’ encores pre-1980’s (or lack thereof)? In particular, recollections of those who were there are very welcome.

Just look into the list upthread. The group played 266 shows in the 1970’s (including Knebworth 76, El Mocambo 77 and Oshawa 79 — none of them had an encore). Of them, 39 shows saw the band give an encore, which means less than 1/7 of the total number.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: October 18, 2022 14:54

Javadave
I was at the 3/20/86 show at Hampton too, Stonestein. I got backstage that night, but was out in the middle of the floor in front of the soundboard when Bob Weir said “now we’re going to prove that practice makes perfect” and they launched into Box Of Rain, eliciting a collective orgasmic reaction from the crowd. It was the first set closer, though, not the encore that night.

Javadave, then you and I were within feet of one another, as I, too, was on the floor and not too terribly far from where you describe. I recall staring at Phil and how his face seemed to contort with a smile (I guess the shrooms were kicking in well!) and felt like something was going to happen. March 20, 1986 was my first Dead show, and when Phil went into "Look out of any window ....." the place did emit (your excellent words) "a collective orgasmic reaction" unlike any I had experienced in any concert to that date. I was a 2nd year at UVA in the Spring of 1986, and a collective of us Chi Phi brothers headed down to the gig. I graduated in the Spring of 1988, and I never saw another show at Hampton Roads. I was in the parking lot for the 3 Atlanta Dead shows in the Spring of 1990 and heard all about the legendary Hampton Roads 1989 Warlocks gigs. Special times.

While I never saw the Stones until Steel Wheels, it is clear that by the time of the 1981 US Tour, the (still) cocaine-fueled Stones were much more "all business" with their concert presentation than were the Grateful Dead. They had a setlist, stuck to it (largely) and honed it to a perfected presentation/experience for their most adoring fans. By then, an encore had to be part of that concert experience. The mid-to-late-80s live Dead, by comparison, were a wholly different concert vibe of a much more free form experience that few (at that time) realized were going thru a similar ordeal with Jerry's drug use and addiction that the Stones had dealt with in Keith in 76 and Ronnie in 81-82.

(Pardon my straying a smidge from the core topic for a couple paragraphs, IORR!)

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Date: October 18, 2022 16:05

The Rolling Stones already stepped into the ‘Vegas’ realm in 1981 before morphing into the post-89, fully-fledged modern Stones. The pre-arranged encore was part of that procedure.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: October 19, 2022 15:32

RisingStone
The Rolling Stones already stepped into the ‘Vegas’ realm in 1981 before morphing into the post-89, fully-fledged modern Stones. The pre-arranged encore was part of that procedure.

I agree with you, RisingStone, but the erratic quality of performances from night to night suggests that their initial "Vegas" phase was approached with a certain "cavalier" (perhaps cocaine-fueled?) attitude until, IMO, it was 1989 before they acted like true grownups. As Bono once was quoted - "In the 80s, rock and roll woke up and put on its jogging shoes."

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: October 19, 2022 17:52

As for the Stones, did the fist encore take place in 1972 with the "Wonder" Satisfaction? And then in 1975 on SFD with Santana?

In fact, I did enjoy the Stones without encore, and without bow. They were royalties. The were arrogant

So encore would be seen as cheap thrill, low budget effet.

Enjoy SFM because after it's over amigo

As Sam Cutler put about the Stones shows in 1969 (sort of):
Get in, hold tight, enjoy the show, split the money, goodbye

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 19, 2022 18:03

stonesstein
RisingStone

I agree with you, RisingStone, but the erratic quality of performances from night to night suggests that their initial "Vegas" phase was approached with a certain "cavalier" (perhaps cocaine-fueled?) attitude until, IMO, it was 1989 before they acted like true grownups. As Bono once was quoted - "In the 80s, rock and roll woke up and put on its jogging shoes."

Didn't Keith get in a fist fight with Ronnie in San Francisco on that tour because Ronnie was out of control on the freebasing? 1981, not 1989.

Date: October 19, 2022 18:39

stonesstein
RisingStone

For someone like me who hadn’t seen the Stones in person back in time, a large portion of the image of their 1981 tour was, of course, shaped by Still Life and Let’s Spend The Night Together. As you suggest, there may have been other sides to their 1981 incarnation those artifacts did not capture. Put that aside, in hindsight, there was an indication of the future direction the group would turn to on the live album and, in particular, in the motion picture. A lot of people think the Vegas era started in 1989. In reality, it’s not that clear-cut.

The modern Stones weren’t built in a day.

Date: October 19, 2022 18:54

The Joker
As for the Stones, did the fist encore take place in 1972 with the "Wonder" Satisfaction? And then in 1975 on SFD with Santana?

See the list on page 2 of this thread. Their first encore on record is Let It Rock in Liverpool, both early and late shows, 12 March, 1971.

Which show(s) did you attend where they didn’t give an encore, the place and the date?

Date: October 19, 2022 19:23

RisingStone
The Joker

See the list on page 2 of this thread. Their first encore on record is Let It Rock in Liverpool, both early and late shows, 12 March, 1971.

Which show(s) did you attend where they didn’t give an encore, the place and the date?

Thanks
. Brussels 17 october 1973, first show
. Paris 1976 : attended two shows among four, I think it was shows 3 and 4

Date: October 19, 2022 20:53

The Joker
RisingStone
The Joker

Thanks

So you attended ‘The Brussels Affair’ and both televised shows — lucky you!

I have a guess, naturally, the audience wanted more and clapped their hands when the group walked off from the stage. Did they complain when the lights were turned on eventually, or just head for the exit like lambs?

Date: October 20, 2022 13:42

RisingStone
The Joker
RisingStone
The Joker

Thanks

So you attended ‘The Brussels Affair’ and both televised shows — lucky you!

I have a guess, naturally, the audience wanted more and clapped their hands when the group walked off from the stage. Did they complain when the lights were turned on eventually, or just head for the exit like lambs?

Cannot say. Brussels, I was knocked out, in awe...

Date: October 20, 2022 16:13

In the cartoon-esque, rock fantasy of the seventies, the Stones were princes of darkness smoking smiley
Princes of darkness don't lower themselves in bows and encore.
They bloody whiped you with Street Fighting Man and hasta la vista baby
First time I witness a Stones'encore I thought: how humiliating, what a cliché, so much déjà vu. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: October 20, 2022 16:47

The Joker
Cannot say. Brussels, I was knocked out, in awe...

I bet you were!

If you remember the Stones’ show, you weren’t there.

And if you remember their encore in the 60’s, and the 70’s for the most part, you were DEFINITELY not there.

Merci beaucoup.

Date: October 20, 2022 17:04

Imagine an Altamont's encore
That would be the weirdest of all

[static.abc.es]

Date: October 20, 2022 17:16

The Joker
Imagine an Altamont's encore
That would be the weirdest of all

[static.abc.es]

That would have added fuel to the fire, the already existing pandemonium, yeah.

Date: October 20, 2022 17:42

The Joker
In the cartoon-esque, rock fantasy of the seventies, the Stones were princes of darkness smoking smiley
First time I witness a Stones'encore I thought: how humiliating, what a cliché, so much déjà vu. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I’m just thinking. They still did encores at quite a few shows in New York, LA and, to a lesser extent, London in the 70’s.

Did the princes of darkness succumb to the favoritism?

Date: October 20, 2022 18:06

RisingStone
The Joker

I’m just thinking. They still did encores at quite a few shows in New York, LA and, to a lesser extent, London in the 70’s.

Did the princes of darkness succumb to the favoritism?

I thought about it. Why encore during STP 1972 and not during the European Tour 1973 ?
Well, for one America invented the entertainment business so maybe they were more prone to indulge into that trick in the USA, being slightly ahead of Europe rock audience, and for two they had a special thing with this Stones-Wonder's Wonderlove combo. It was a very special encore, because a mix of the two bands
As for 1971, I had no clue there was encore. Gazza's post was brand new information to me.

Date: October 20, 2022 18:35

On a similar topic

Keith's mini set inside a Stones show

. First: Happy during STP 1972. Mick stayed on stage, and half-stealed Keith's lead vocals. So you have Keith's material, and Mick doesn't stop fooling around. Brothers in arm. This goes until 1978 - Some Girls tour.

. 1981-82 : there is a rumour. Mick and Keith were so at odds that some clause in the contract would make Mick's exit compulsory during Keith' mini set.

. Modern area: Keith's mini set is not only a treat, but also an opportunity for Mick to rest. In fact, when Mick has some voice issue, Keith may play three songs instead of two.

Date: October 20, 2022 19:10

The Joker
On a similar topic

Keith's mini set inside a Stones show

. First: Happy during STP 1972. Mick stayed on stage, and half-stealed Keith's lead vocals. So you have Keith's material, and Mick doesn't stop fooling around. Brothers in arm. This goes until 1978 - Some Girls tour.

. 1981-82 : there is a rumour. Mick and Keith were so at odds that some clause in the contract would make Mick's exit compulsory during Keith' mini set.

. Modern area: Keith's mini set is not only a treat, but also an opportunity for Mick to rest. In fact, when Mick has some voice issue, Keith may play three songs instead of two.

I saw a show in Vancouver at the end of Bigger Bang where we got a 3 song Keith set. It was excellent!

Date: October 20, 2022 19:42

For the fans who attended the New York and LA shows in 1972 and 1975, unlike most of the other regions. encore was a given. They demanded it as a matter of course and their expectation was fulfilled. It is easy to imagine when the Stones did not give an encore at the MSG on 26 June, 1975, the only ‘no encore’ show during these residencies, fans booed, feeling shortchanged.

The 1978 American tour was a different animal. The Stones didn’t do an encore either in New York (at the Palladium, a small 2,000 seater) or in LA (at the Anaheim Stadium). They did instead in a sundry of choice locations, e.g. Passaic, NJ, and Boulder, Co. These may well have been ‘real’ encores, rather than pre-arranged.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-20 21:17 by RisingStone.

Date: October 21, 2022 22:48

There was a notorious incident triggered by ‘no encore’ in Japan, where the concertgoers have customarily demanded an encore from way back. On 25 June, 1973, Deep Purple did not return for an encore at the Budokan in Tokyo. A mass riot ensued by the deeply offended crowd who wanted more, hundreds of pipe chairs smashed on the ground floor. As a result, the scheduled second show the following night was cancelled.

In January of the same year, The Rolling Stones were scheduled to play the series of their first ever concerts in Japan at the Budokan, that were eventually cancelled due to Mick’s previous drug conviction. Had the group been admitted to enter the country, duly started and finished the first show and then not come back to the stage for an encore before the fans who went nuts with excitement, what would have happened? We will never know…

[theamazingkornyfonelabel.wordpress.com]

Date: October 21, 2022 22:59

RisingStone
For the fans who attended the New York and LA shows in 1972 and 1975, unlike most of the other regions. encore was a given. They demanded it as a matter of course and their expectation was fulfilled. It is easy to imagine when the Stones did not give an encore at the MSG on 26 June, 1975, the only ‘no encore’ show during these residencies, fans booed, feeling shortchanged.

The 1978 American tour was a different animal. The Stones didn’t do an encore either in New York (at the Palladium, a small 2,000 seater) or in LA (at the Anaheim Stadium). They did instead in a sundry of choice locations, e.g. Passaic, NJ, and Boulder, Co. These may well have been ‘real’ encores, rather than pre-arranged.

I was at Boulder & it didn't seem pre-planned. Also, the crowd had to sit through a pretty severe storm between Kansas & the Stones. My first Stones show!

Date: October 21, 2022 23:44

crholmstrom
RisingStone

I was at Boulder & it didn't seem pre-planned. Also, the crowd had to sit through a pretty severe storm between Kansas & the Stones. My first Stones show!

I wonder if they rewarded the fans with an ad hoc encore for persevering with the foul weather.

And you traveled all the way from the Northwest to Colorado to catch the Stones live? That was quite an adventure for a young first timer, wasn’t it? Carry on, wayward son!

Date: October 22, 2022 12:31

RisingStone
crholmstrom
RisingStone

I wonder if they rewarded the fans with an ad hoc encore for persevering with the foul weather.

And you traveled all the way from the Northwest to Colorado to catch the Stones live? That was quite an adventure for a young first timer, wasn’t it? Carry on, wayward son!

I've told this story before but it's worth repeating. In 1978 I was 17 & had been "awoken" musically 2 years before by Jeff Beck when he opened for Aerosmith. I was really heavily into the Stones by 1978. As you know, the Some Girls tour didn't really have that many dates & the closest was either Denver or the Bay area. At this point it really looked like the Canadians were going to toss Keith in jail for a significant amount of time. Well, I had to see the Stones at least once in my life so I conned my parents into letting me go to Boulder to see them. I still don't know how I pulled that one off. In many ways that was the best time I saw the Stones. They were still very stripped down compared with what was to come. It was totally worth the trip. Since then I've travelled to Portland, Vancouver & Vegas several times for them & seen them in all sizes of venue from club to stadiums. That show in Boulder also had Eddie Money & more importantly for me Peter Tosh open. It was a fantastic day!

Date: October 22, 2022 15:32

crholmstrom
RisingStone
crholmstrom
RisingStone

I've told this story before but it's worth repeating. In 1978 I was 17 & had been "awoken" musically 2 years before by Jeff Beck when he opened for Aerosmith. I was really heavily into the Stones by 1978. As you know, the Some Girls tour didn't really have that many dates & the closest was either Denver or the Bay area. At this point it really looked like the Canadians were going to toss Keith in jail for a significant amount of time. Well, I had to see the Stones at least once in my life so I conned my parents into letting me go to Boulder to see them. I still don't know how I pulled that one off. In many ways that was the best time I saw the Stones. They were still very stripped down compared with what was to come. It was totally worth the trip. Since then I've travelled to Portland, Vancouver & Vegas several times for them & seen them in all sizes of venue from club to stadiums. That show in Boulder also had Eddie Money & more importantly for me Peter Tosh open. It was a fantastic day!

Thank you. A nice story to read. Yeah, it’s a common experience among us sometimes you had to push hard to ‘get what you want.’

“They were still very stripped down compared with what was to come” — strictly speaking, 1978 was the last touring year for them as the vintage Stones, rather than 1981 when it bloated and the Vegas syndrome started to manifest itself, as I stated above.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: October 22, 2022 17:42

In1973 at Brussels an encore would have been anticlimactic

Date: October 22, 2022 18:50

One possible hypothesis: as they grow old, the encore break may give them a short rest. That’s why there is. No?

Date: October 24, 2022 03:58

Another thing I noticed about the Stones’ encore is that they have never returned more than once if they did. Multiple encores are not their cup of tea.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: October 24, 2022 04:30

It's an extra stones song, or 2. I'll take as many as I can get.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1788
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home