Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: No encore
Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: October 15, 2022 10:39

stonesstein
NashvilleBlues
Is this The Rolling Stones’ first ever encore?
Wild footnote too!

[www.setlist.fm]

No, Let It Rock was an encore at Leeds 1971

Not saying it’s not, but it’s not listed that way on setlist.fm. What makes you say that? Were you there? What’s your proof?

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: October 15, 2022 10:48

Sorry, forgot to answer the OPs question.

The Stones almost exclusively played arenas then and the tickets were really hard to get.
These shows weren’t sold out they were sold-the-mthrfckng-pay your last dollar out.
There were no “bucket listers” or “oh honey we should go see Mick Jagger and those other guys” people.
If you were there you didn’t just want to be , you needed to be.
And if you were there you already knew- no encores.house lights up- thank you good night.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 15, 2022 13:01

In 1978 I saw the Marshall Tucker Band play a 10-song headlining set and then proceed to do four encores! Stones played no encore at all when I saw them that same year in Philly.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: October 15, 2022 14:29

lem motlow
“We’re gonna do one more then we’re gonna go “

I never saw them do an encore in the 70s , it was either 81 or 89.i remember being a little torn between glad to see it and not liking them being like everyone else.

That’s the thing. It wasn’t strange the Stones didn’t do an encore in the 60’s, the era many — or most — pop/rock concerts didn’t contain that as part of the event. What makes the Stones differ from the the other lot is, they more or less continued with that way into the 70’s when encores became standard offering at concerts.

Date: October 15, 2022 14:33

lem motlow
Sorry, forgot to answer the OPs question.

The Stones almost exclusively played arenas then and the tickets were really hard to get.
These shows weren’t sold out they were sold-the-mthrfckng-pay your last dollar out.
There were no “bucket listers” or “oh honey we should go see Mick Jagger and those other guys” people.
If you were there you didn’t just want to be , you needed to be.
And if you were there you already knew- no encores.house lights up- thank you good night.

In other words — the number of casual fans at the Stones concert was less in those times than today. And it wasn’t just the case for the Stones only, perhaps.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 15, 2022 15:01

I've seen a few shows lately where the bands said this is the part where we walk off & come back. We're going to skip that part. The bands were Drive-by Truckers & Afghan Whigs.

Date: October 15, 2022 15:13

crholmstrom
I've seen a few shows lately where the bands said this is the part where we walk off & come back. We're going to skip that part. The bands were Drive-by Truckers & Afghan Whigs.

Most likely it happens due to curfew, the band taking the stage delayed or playing over time. I have experienced a few. Not necessarily and strictly a ‘no encore’ case.

BTW are Afghan Whigs any good live? I have never seen them and their forthcoming show in my accessible region clashes with Saving Grace (ft. Robert Plant) so I’m wondering.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: October 15, 2022 15:59

NashvilleBlues
stonesstein
NashvilleBlues
Wild footnote too!

[www.setlist.fm]

Not saying it’s not, but it’s not listed that way on setlist.fm. What makes you say that? Were you there? What’s your proof?

Nashville, I have read that in (as I seem to recall now) multiple sources over the years which I thought may have originated with Roy Carr's Illustrated Record. However, I checked, and while a later edition of Carr's book did not, Wikipedia clearly designates it as an encore.

Stones 1971 UK Tour Wiki

I recall there being many other sources, too.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Date: October 15, 2022 16:22

Speaking of setlists — does anybody recommend me a website/internet source that has most complete and comprehensive Stones concert setlists through the years, apart from setlist.fm? One without asking register/sign in would be preferred.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: October 15, 2022 20:51

stonesstein
NashvilleBlues
stonesstein
NashvilleBlues
Wild footnote too!

[www.setlist.fm]

Nashville, I have read that in (as I seem to recall now) multiple sources over the years which I thought may have originated with Roy Carr's Illustrated Record. However, I checked, and while a later edition of Carr's book did not, Wikipedia clearly designates it as an encore.

Stones 1971 UK Tour Wiki

I recall there being many other sources, too.

Cool. Thanks! thumbs up

Date: October 16, 2022 05:29

“A tentative list of encores by The Rolling Stones in the 70’s”

*Compiled from Gazza’s The “Rocks Off” Rolling Stones Setlists Page (Thanks!)

[rocksoff.org]

1970 European Tour (25 shows)
None

1971 ‘Goodbye Britain’ Tour (17 shows)
12-03 Liverpool (early show): Let It Rock
12-03 Liverpool (late show): Let It Rock
13-03 Leeds: Let It Rock
14-03 London (early show): Let It Rock
14-03 London (late show): Let It Rock

1972 North American Tour (51 shows)
08-06 San Francisco (late show): Honky Tonk Women
11-06 Los Angels (early show): Honky Tonk Women
11-06 Los Angels (late show): Honky Tonk Women
13-06 San Diego: Honky Tonk Women
18-07 Boston: Honky Tonk Women
20-07 Philadelphia: Uptight/Satisfaction (Medley)
21-07 Philadelphia (early show): Uptight/Satisfaction (Medley)
21-07 Philadelphia (late show): Uptight/Satisfaction (Medley)
24-07 New York: Uptight/Satisfaction (Medley)
25-07 New York (early show): Uptight/Satisfaction (Medley)
25-07 New York (late show): Uptight/Satisfaction (Medley)
26-07 New York: Uptight/Satisfaction (Medley)

1973 Winter Tour (14 shows)
18-01 Los Angels: Midnight Rambler

1973 European Tour (42 shows)
None

1975 ‘Tour Of The Americas’ (46 shows)
01-06 Baton Rouge (early show): Midnight Rambler
01-06 Baton Rouge (late show): Midnight Rambler
22-06 New York: Sympathy For The Devil
23-06 New York: Sympathy For The Devil
24-06 New York: Sympathy For The Devil
25-06 New York: Sympathy For The Devil
27-06 New York: Sympathy For The Devil
09-07 Los Angels: Sympathy For The Devil
10-07 Los Angels: Sympathy For The Devil
11-07 Los Angels: Sympathy For The Devil
12-07 Los Angels: Sympathy For The Devil
13-07 Los Angels: Sympathy For The Devil

1976 European Tour (41 shows)
21-05 London: Sympathy For The Devil
22-05 London: Sympathy For The Devil
23-05 London: Sympathy For The Devil
27-05 London: Sympathy For The Devil

1978 American Tour (25 shows)
14-06 Passaic: Street Fighting Man
08-07 Chicago: Satisfaction
13-07 New Orleans: Street Fighting Man
16-07 Boulder: Satisfaction
26-07 Oakland: Satisfaction

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-17 01:25 by RisingStone.

Date: October 16, 2022 07:01

RisingStone
“A tentative list of encores by The Rolling Stones in the 70’s”

*Compiled from Gazza’s The “Rocks Off” Rolling Stones Setlists Page (Thanks!)

[rocksoff.org]

Nashville, hope this helps, as it is much more specific than mine.

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: October 16, 2022 08:16

So, 1975- 3 cities on a 46 date tour
1976 - 1 city on a 41 date tour
and 1978 5 on a 24 date tour.
I didn’t see 72 but it looks like the encores were either LA or the rave up with Stevie.

London, LA and New York were a big deal back then,I remember they had the lotus stage that opened up in 75 in NY and LA only.
In the stadium era no one cared about the cities anymore.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: October 16, 2022 08:46

A few memorable ad hoc encores I witnessed:

Neil Young & Crazy Horse, 10/21/09 at the Comcast Arena (aka Everett Events Center) in Everett, Washington.

After a blistering set topped off by a cover of the Beatles “A Day In The Life” for the encore, the house lights had come up and about half the crowd had left, when they came back out to play “The Sultan”, an ultra-rare song from Neil’s pre-Buffalo Springfield band, The Squires.

[www.setlist.fm]

[neilyoungnews.thrasherswheat.org]

—————

The Grateful Dead 09/03/88, The Capital Centre, Landover, Maryland

They had finished the show with an encore of “One More Saturday Night”. Much of the crowd had already exited. I was just about to walk out the exit doors when a roar burst out from the remaining crowd as the band returned to the stage. A fan had made a request for them to play “Ripple” through the Make-A-Wish Foundation. They reciprocated with their first and only version of the song since the early 1970’s, an especially rare electric rendition at that.

[archive.org]

————-_

The Grateful Dead, 06/22/86 The Greek Theater, Berkeley, California

This was the third and final night of three shows at The Greek to open the Summer tour. It was broadcast live on radio. After a “U.S. Blues” encore, there was about a 15 minute wait, where again, many had left, thinking the show was over, when they came out and performed “Box Of Rain” which Phil Lesh had just returned to their repertoire that March at Hampton Coliseum.

[archive.org]

These were all “you had to be there” moments.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 16, 2022 08:53

...... this one takes toppin' ....... pour it on James .....

ROCKMAN

Date: October 16, 2022 12:19

One thing that's always annoyed me is when a band will let the audience scream their lungs out for an encore for an extended period of time .... and then turn the lights up. I think good concert etiquette dictates that if you're not going to do an encore, just turn the lights up right away so the crowd doesn't clap their hands raw for nothing.

I remember seeing David Crosby on a solo club tour in 1981 and he let the crowd go nuts for 10 minutes before deciding not to return. I can just picture the scene backstage. The club owner saying, "Will you please get the @#$%& back out there?" and Dave on the crack pipe saying "Okay, just one more hit man!" before finally deciding that he was just too @#$%& up to play another song.

Fast forward to 1991, and I'm at a Fifth Dimension concert, of all things, the last time they toured with all 5 of their original members. They finished their set, but still hadn't played their biggest hit, "Aquarius," so of course, the crowd knew there would be an encore. Except that after many long minutes of enthusiastic applause, they still hadn't returned. Finally, the audience gave up and started to file out. Half of us were already in the lobby when we finally heard the first notes of "Aquarius." People were pissed! "Too long, man! Too long!" I heard some lady say as we rewarded the band's bad behavior by reluctantly heading back into the theater.

I've also frequently seen bands return for encores even though there was no great particular demand from the audience to hear more music. Just a smattering of applause was enough to get them back out there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-16 12:27 by tatters.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: October 16, 2022 14:51

Javadave

Neil Young & Crazy Horse, 10/21/09 at the Comcast Arena (aka Everett Events Center) in Everett, Washington.

After a blistering set topped off by a cover of the Beatles “A Day In The Life” for the encore, the house lights had come up and about half the crowd had left, when they came back out to play “The Sultan”, an ultra-rare song from Neil’s pre-Buffalo Springfield band, The Squires.

[www.setlist.fm]

[neilyoungnews.thrasherswheat.org]

—————

The Grateful Dead 09/03/88, The Capital Centre, Landover, Maryland

They had finished the show with an encore of “One More Saturday Night”. Much of the crowd had already exited. I was just about to walk out the exit doors when a roar burst out from the remaining crowd as the band returned to the stage. A fan had made a request for them to play “Ripple” through the Make-A-Wish Foundation. They reciprocated with their first and only version of the song since the early 1970’s, an especially rare electric rendition at that.

[archive.org]

————-_

This was the third and final night of three shows at The Greek to open the Summer tour. It was broadcast live on radio. After a “U.S. Blues” encore, there was about a 15 minute wait, where again, many had left, thinking the show was over, when they came out and performed “Box Of Rain” which Phil Lesh had just returned to their repertoire that March at Hampton Coliseum.

[archive.org]

I'm not a Prince fan (and I haven't been there) but this deserves a honorable mention:
[www.setlist.fm]

Date: October 16, 2022 16:33

slewan
I'm not a Prince fan (and I haven't been there) but this deserves a honorable mention:
[www.setlist.fm]

Speaking of Prince —

[www.setlist.fm]

I was there, the penultimate show of what would turn out to be his last ever Japanese tour (he did six times between 1986 and 2002). He gave three encores (on setlist.fm, no.20-30, 31-33 and 34). After the second one, the house lights were turned on, and the audience was leaving the floor. The crew started to demolish the gear. Everybody thought the show was over. Then — the man came back on his own without fanfare, acoustic guitar in his hands. The remaining crowd, about half of the whole that had been there, rushed to the stage, flocking in the front area, looking up at the man strumming the guitar and singing Last December. Then he left the stage, pride beaming from his face, all over his body. When everything was over, the show clicked on 2 hours and 55 minutes, the longest ever he delivered in Japan. A memorable night.

Date: October 16, 2022 21:32

RisingStone
crholmstrom

Most likely it happens due to curfew, the band taking the stage delayed or playing over time. I have experienced a few. Not necessarily and strictly a ‘no encore’ case.

BTW are Afghan Whigs any good live? I have never seen them and their forthcoming show in my accessible region clashes with Saving Grace (ft. Robert Plant) so I’m wondering.
They're good but I was a little disappointed. I go way back with them & have seen way better shows. Their longtime guitar player passed away from cancer & the new guy isn't quite as good. If you've never seen them I'd recommend it. I'm sure Plant will be good too but expensive & his shows are on the short side lately.

Date: October 16, 2022 21:35

tatters
One thing that's always annoyed me is when a band will let the audience scream their lungs out for an encore for an extended period of time .... and then turn the lights up. I think good concert etiquette dictates that if you're not going to do an encore, just turn the lights up right away so the crowd doesn't clap their hands raw for nothing.

I remember seeing David Crosby on a solo club tour in 1981 and he let the crowd go nuts for 10 minutes before deciding not to return. I can just picture the scene backstage. The club owner saying, "Will you please get the @#$%& back out there?" and Dave on the crack pipe saying "Okay, just one more hit man!" before finally deciding that he was just too @#$%& up to play another song.

Fast forward to 1991, and I'm at a Fifth Dimension concert, of all things, the last time they toured with all 5 of their original members. They finished their set, but still hadn't played their biggest hit, "Aquarius," so of course, the crowd knew there would be an encore. Except that after many long minutes of enthusiastic applause, they still hadn't returned. Finally, the audience gave up and started to file out. Half of us were already in the lobby when we finally heard the first notes of "Aquarius." People were pissed! "Too long, man! Too long!" I heard some lady say as we rewarded the band's bad behavior by reluctantly heading back into the theater.

I've also frequently seen bands return for encores even though there was no great particular demand from the audience to hear more music. Just a smattering of applause was enough to get them back out there.

For big stadium shows some of that has to do with the band escaping before the mob lets out. Have seen it happen a few times. In fact, the Stones were kind of doing it with the fireworks in the not too distant past. U2 comes to mind also as using that tactic.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 16, 2022 21:47

slewan

[www.setlist.fm]

My wife and I were at one of those Forum shows in 2011 which I think was part of a ten night residency...maybe more....
We also saw him in Vegas in 2006 as part of his club residency at the Rio the same night that we saw the Stones at MGM Arena.
Immediately after the Stones show, we jumped in a cab to the Rio where Prince's show began after midnight....a true double whammy of a night.
Prior to that Vegas show I wasn't much of a fan of his, but afterwards I was... he was an incredible live performer.

Date: October 16, 2022 22:18

crholmstrom
tatters

For big stadium shows some of that has to do with the band escaping before the mob lets out. Have seen it happen a few times. In fact, the Stones were kind of doing it with the fireworks in the not too distant past. U2 comes to mind also as using that tactic.

I'm trying to remember if I've ever been at a show where they turned the lights on and the crowd simply would not accept no for an answer; where they continued to stand there and refused to leave and demanded to hear more music, until finally the house lights dimmed and the band returned. I could swear I've seen that happen, but I can't for the life of me think who the band might have been. I do remember that at the New Barbarians show in New York in '79 they turned the lights on and a large portion of the crowd refused to leave, believing that if they just stuck around long enough, something amazing would surely happen. It didn't, of course. grinning smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-16 22:21 by tatters.

Date: October 16, 2022 23:23

Prince did encore afterparty gigs. Not the same i know

Date: October 16, 2022 23:28

tatters
crholmstrom
tatters

I'm trying to remember if I've ever been at a show where they turned the lights on and the crowd simply would not accept no for an answer; where they continued to stand there and refused to leave and demanded to hear more music, until finally the house lights dimmed and the band returned. I could swear I've seen that happen, but I can't for the life of me think who the band might have been. I do remember that at the New Barbarians show in New York in '79 they turned the lights on and a large portion of the crowd refused to leave, believing that if they just stuck around long enough, something amazing would surely happen. It didn't, of course. grinning smiley

Bruce Springsteen in 1978. After the lights were on & a good portion of the crowd had left Bruce & band came back out & did Rave On & Twist and Shout then trashed the stage. Last night of tour in Seattle right before CHristmas. Unbelievable show. I have a tape for proof haha.

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: October 16, 2022 23:39

crholmstrom

I have been to more than 30 shows by U2 and never there have been any fireworks...

Date: October 17, 2022 00:17

Papo
crholmstrom

I have been to more than 30 shows by U2 and never there have been any fireworks...

I meant sneaking out while the crowd is still cheering. We left a bit early during the encores & almost got ran over by the motorcade. This was on the last Joshua Tree tour.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: October 17, 2022 01:10

NashvilleBlues
Wild footnote too!

[www.setlist.fm]

Also they didnt play HTW encore the night after.

Date: October 17, 2022 02:17

schwonek
NashvilleBlues
Wild footnote too!

[www.setlist.fm]

Also they didnt play HTW encore the night after.

My good guess is that the band gave a rare encore on Boston first night to make amends for the late start/late finish.

Date: October 17, 2022 16:15

Javadave

————-_

[archive.org]

Javadave, I was at the Dead show in Hampton on March 20, 1986 when Phil busted out "Box of Rain" for the first time since 1973. Magical moment, that.

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: October 17, 2022 19:03

I was at the 3/20/86 show at Hampton too, Stonestein. I got backstage that night, but was out in the middle of the floor in front of the soundboard when Bob Weir said “now we’re going to prove that practice makes perfect” and they launched into Box Of Rain, eliciting a collective orgasmic reaction from the crowd. It was the first set closer, though, not the encore that night.

I saw them a bunch of times at Hampton Coliseum. Another similar moment was when they brought Dark Star back into the repertoire on 10/09/89 at the second night of the Formerly The Warlocks shows. In both cases, the crowd reaction went on and on, unlike anything else I’ve ever seen. That one ranks very highly of the times I saw them, as they also played Attics Of My Life for the first time since 1971 as the encore that night, and the first East Coast Death Don’t Have No Mercy in many moons as well:

[archive.org]

The Hampton spaceship is a charmed venue. I also saw an excellent Jerry Garcia Band show there around 1992 with Bruce Hornsby sitting in.

Of course, the Stones had a high moment there too, the 1981 show that was the world’s first pay-per-view show, the one where Keith bashed the fan who rushed past the security onto the stage under cover of the balloon drop during the Satisfaction encore with his guitar before cooly strapping his axe back on and finishing the song. That’s one of my favorite rock ‘n’ roll moments. I wasn’t at that one, but the first night of the Capital Centre shows in Landover, Maryland on that tour was my then 16 year old self’s first Rolling Stones show.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1333
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home