Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Newcastle 1971 Recording
Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: October 14, 2022 08:55

I just this evening discovered that apparently, in July, 2017, a reel to reel recording of the Newcastle 1971 show was sold. If true and genuine, THIS IS HUGE!!! If it is more bullsh!t, then please tell what you know.

Here are the details, and if anyone knows anything about this or has heard this, please, please, please share!!!

Rolling Stones Newcastle 1971 Recording Sells July 2017

Treaclefingers, you got any dope on this?

Thanks in advance!

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Re: Newcastle 1971 Recording
Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: October 14, 2022 09:10

whaaat!eye popping smiley

please tell me this isn't to good to be truegrinning smiley

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: October 14, 2022 09:50

Can anyone read the track list ? Was this the gig where CYHMK was rumoured to have been played?

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: October 14, 2022 11:26

Long discussion in an older post:

[iorr.org]

Posted by: riccardo99 ()
Date: October 14, 2022 13:11

If someone is a registered user of the auction site more photos could be available.

Posted by: GivenToFly15 ()
Date: October 14, 2022 14:12

Date: October 14, 2022 15:42

Rank Stranger
Long discussion in an older post:

[iorr.org]

Good reference Stranger, and anyone who has not read that thread ought to go back and read it, because lots of IORR folk contributing to the question of Newcastle & UK 1971 setlists.

Still, as far as my research throughout IORR's archives suggests, there's been no mention of this tape and/or auction. I am surprised that no one among the IORR cats has seen this in the past 5 years.

Maybe a band member or someone working for the band bought it. Otherwise, I suspect that we'd've heard of it or that it would have been "released" by now in some form of unauthorized or bootleg format.

Thoughts?

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Date: October 14, 2022 22:20

GivenToFly15

ok is that the actual song order because if so that would mean they played sfm and then went straight into stray cat blues

now that's pretty freakin' crazy?

also still no cyhmk or wild horses

Date: October 14, 2022 22:55

Not the order, and not complete.

Date: October 15, 2022 00:57

DandelionPowderman

ok

that makes more sense

Date: October 15, 2022 06:15

ProfessorWolf
DandelionPowderman

ok

that makes more sense

Actually, Professor, none of this sh!t (about this (purported) reel to reel recording of the Newcastle 1971 Stones' show) makes sense to me! If it is genuine, it baffles me that no portions have surfaced in traders' markets.

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: GivenToFly15 ()
Date: October 15, 2022 09:19

There were two shows on the same day, right?

Anyway, i don't see why the person who bought it would necesseraly have published it. There are people who are very happy with something that they know no one has: that's human nature... Not saying I agree, but it's not "baffling".

Date: October 15, 2022 16:03

GivenToFly15
i don't see why the person who bought it would necesseraly have published it. There are people who are very happy with something that they know no one has: that's human nature... Not saying I agree, but it's not "baffling".

GiventoFly15, point taken, but with as rare of an artifact as this is, it is even more baffling to me that none among this IORR community of 10s of 1000s of people has not heard of this before or brought it to anyone's attention.

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 15, 2022 16:12

stonesstein
ProfessorWolf
DandelionPowderman

ok

that makes more sense

Actually, Professor, none of this sh!t (about this (purported) reel to reel recording of the Newcastle 1971 Stones' show) makes sense to me! If it is genuine, it baffles me that no portions have surfaced in traders' markets.

Just about the entire 1973 tour was recorded with the Mobile truck, yet nothing ever surfaced.

Mathijs

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 15, 2022 18:07

GivenToFly15

Imo this is nothing but pure fake:

1. The fact alone that the setlist is reshuffled is proof that it can't be an original concert recording.

2. The setlist looks suspiciously like the Leeds BBC broadcast minus Let It Rock reshuffled.

3. Even the seller's description claims:

"This very tape has been recorded by an English radiostation and was never ever duplicated."

This is more than telling indeed. No 1971 shows were recorded by any "English radiostations", not even the BBC. Leeds was recorded by the Stones organisation with the mobile truck and an incomplete tape (minus the two opening numbers Jumping Jack Flash and Live With Me) was given to the BBC for the well-known broadcast.

Fake from start to finish imo.

Date: October 15, 2022 23:21

retired_dog
GivenToFly15

1. The fact alone that the setlist is reshuffled is proof that it can't be an original concert recording.

2. The setlist looks suspiciously like the Leeds BBC broadcast minus Let It Rock reshuffled.

"This very tape has been recorded by an English radiostation and was never ever duplicated."

This is more than telling indeed. No 1971 shows were recorded by any "English radiostations", not even the BBC. Leeds was recorded by the Stones organisation with the mobile truck and an incomplete tape (minus the two opening numbers Jumping Jack Flash and Live With Me) was given to the BBC for the well-known broadcast.

RetiredDoc, your analysis makes a lot of sense.

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 15, 2022 23:53

Another thing :
the band would never have allowed a premiere show to be taped.
Jagger knew very well his band needed a few gigs to be in proper musical form.

Date: October 16, 2022 12:52

dcba
Another thing :
the band would never have allowed a premiere show to be taped.
Jagger knew very well his band needed a few gigs to be in proper musical form.

They have recorded the entire tour with the Mobile truck.

Mathijs

Date: October 16, 2022 16:53

Really?

I thought they followed the M.O. introduced in 69. Let the band warm up with each gig played, then pro-tape the end of the tour when the band's really hot (NY + Boston).

They did that in 69 72 and 73 ("down-under").
Of course the tiny distances between each gig of the "Farewell" tour made possible the use of the Mobile lorry for each 71 gig.

Which would mean Jagger "sits" on live renditions of WH and CYHMK on 16 tracks reels...

Posted by: wiredallnight ()
Date: October 16, 2022 18:09

retired_dog
GivenToFly15

I have the impression that your analysis is 100% correct.
In 2012 the BBC also rebroadcasted Leeds in a (different) reshuffled order, so this is more than likely.

Date: October 18, 2022 12:53

dcba
Really?

I thought they followed the M.O. introduced in 69. Let the band warm up with each gig played, then pro-tape the end of the tour when the band's really hot (NY + Boston).

Of course the tiny distances between each gig of the "Farewell" tour made possible the use of the Mobile lorry for each 71 gig.

Which would mean Jagger "sits" on live renditions of WH and CYHMK on 16 tracks reels...

It is my understanding that from the moment the Mobile truck was ready to record (most likely from about October 1970) they recorded all European shows from the 1970's. American shows were recorded with the Record Plant Mobile that was rented, so selected shows were recorded, resulting in about half of the 1972, 1975 and 1978 shows to be recorded professionally. Starting halfway the 1972 tour all shows were recorded straight from the soundboard.

Mathijs

Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: October 18, 2022 16:22

I may well be wrong (it was a long time ago !!) but I dont think the Coventry shows in 1971 were recorded.

I hope they were, but at both shows and queuing around the side of the theatre I don't remember seeing the Mobile there.

Coventry Theatre also had very little space outside, only one side alley giving access to the stage door. Although you could get a lorry down that side to unload stage props, equipment etc. even the Stones lorries for their amps etc were not parked there as I recall.

So I don't believe there is any official recording of the Coventry 1971 UK shows existing.

I would be very very happy for someone to prove me wrong !

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: October 18, 2022 17:00

Mathijs
dcba
Really?

It is my understanding that from the moment the Mobile truck was ready to record (most likely from about October 1970) they recorded all European shows from the 1970's. American shows were recorded with the Record Plant Mobile that was rented, so selected shows were recorded, resulting in about half of the 1972, 1975 and 1978 shows to be recorded professionally. Starting halfway the 1972 tour all shows were recorded straight from the soundboard.

Mathijs

How do you think they approached Wild Horses live in '71? We know at the Marquee, Richards was going to play a 12-string. You think Taylor played acoustic as well?

Date: October 18, 2022 17:14

Isn't it a missed opportunity that for 1.170 we didn't chip in as fans and make it public. Or doesn't it work this way. Have no idea about this kind of business.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: October 18, 2022 17:42

Mathijs

Have you come across concrete proof or evidence that verifies it?
Personally I am doubtful and I think some selected dates were recorded per tour, but that’s just my guess.

Date: October 18, 2022 18:14

Kingbeebuzz
I may well be wrong (it was a long time ago !!) but I dont think the Coventry shows in 1971 were recorded.

I hope they were, but at both shows and queuing around the side of the theatre I don't remember seeing the Mobile there.

Coventry Theatre also had very little space outside, only one side alley giving access to the stage door. Although you could get a lorry down that side to unload stage props, equipment etc. even the Stones lorries for their amps etc were not parked there as I recall.

So I don't believe there is any official recording of the Coventry 1971 UK shows existing.

I would be very very happy for someone to prove me wrong !

I do not know the setup of the Coventry theatre, but for many shows they parked the Mobile inside the building, right behind the stage.

Mathijs

Date: October 18, 2022 18:16

RisingStone
Mathijs

Personally I am doubtful and I think some selected dates were recorded per tour, but that’s just my guess.

I know for sure the entire 1971 and 1973 tours, most of 1975, the entire 1976 tour and about half of 1978 tour were recorded professionally.

Mathijs

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: October 18, 2022 18:43

The 1972,1973 and 1975 were fantastic tours. Hopefully the tapes of those shows are not rotting away in some storage room. .Maybe Bill Wyman has some in his personal collection

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: October 18, 2022 18:43

Mathijs
RisingStone
Mathijs

I know for sure the entire 1971 and 1973 tours, most of 1975, the entire 1976 tour and about half of 1978 tour were recorded professionally.

Mathijs

Sorry to bother you — where did you get the information? Could you please specify the source?

Date: October 18, 2022 19:17

Mathijs

Mathijs

That leaves hope for a "Dick's Pick" kind of archive release when the powers that be will decide to open the vaults.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1679
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home