Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
how certain soundboards came into circulation!
Posted by: illyad1960 ()
Date: October 6, 2022 15:05

Saw a thread about soundboards and there are numerous stories about how certain soundboards came into circulation. Can anyone share any of these stories?

Re: how certain soundboards came into circulation!
Posted by: 1specialrider ()
Date: October 7, 2022 00:51

I was told years ago,by somebody in a position to know , the Welcome to NY( MSG 1972) soundboard was originally circulated by a person angry at the Stones. To pick the story up,Ken Douglas,one of the original TMOQ partners,says he traded for a copy
from the owner of an LA area record store.How the record store owner came to acquire the tape ,I do not know.

Posted by: GivenToFly15 ()
Date: October 7, 2022 21:42

What about the soundboard recording of Paris 1998? How did this one come to light?

Posted by: illyad1960 ()
Date: October 7, 2022 23:51

I have heard that the Passaic NJ 1978 soundboard was stolen by a fan. Wished he had waited until SFM was complete....

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: October 8, 2022 00:19

1specialrider
I was told years ago,by somebody in a position to know , the Welcome to NY( MSG 1972) soundboard was originally circulated by a person angry at the Stones. To pick the story up,Ken Douglas,one of the original TMOQ partners,says he traded for a copy
from the owner of an LA area record store.How the record store owner came to acquire the tape ,I do not know.
The sound sucks on the Welcome to New York soundboard

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 8, 2022 04:32

illyad1960
I have heard that the Passaic NJ 1978 soundboard was stolen by a fan. Wished he had waited until SFM was complete....

he ripped it out of the tape that was running at the mixing desk mid-way through the last song and scarpered out of the theatre, apparently.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: October 8, 2022 05:34

Taylor1
1specialrider

Taylor1, you must not have the right version. My red wax WTNY on TMOQ from 1973 is amazing sound. Welcome to New York 1973 TMOQ

The no-noised bullsh!t version from 1989-ish is another story. Welcome to New York TSP Reissue

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 8, 2022 08:25

stonesstein
Taylor1
1specialrider

Taylor1, you must not have the right version. My red wax WTNY on TMOQ from 1973 is amazing sound. Welcome to New York 1973 TMOQ

The no-noised bullsh!t version from 1989-ish is another story. Welcome to New York TSP Reissue

He apparently doesn't like the mix - NoNoise doesn't change that.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: October 8, 2022 08:41

How about that video of a complete show from Oakland either 1994 or 1997 which I think was made from the footage that the video guys took for the large screens, kind of the equivalent of soundboard, just that it was video instead of audio. Or correct me if I am wrong in some of that.

plexi

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: October 8, 2022 10:39

GivenToFly15
What about the soundboard recording of Paris 1998? How did this one come to light?

From a friend of mine, Michel bought it from a guy who works in the stadium for 7000 french francs at the time.
This mono sdb tape was in fact used for the little "football" speakers in the stands of the stade de france.
This night the sound was just crystal clear loud. Mix is so simple, Keith in the front, Charlie snare and a tired Mick. Best Keith sound ever!!

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: October 8, 2022 12:08

I remember being in Hamburg on October 2 1973 at the first of two Rolling Stones concerts in the Ernst Merck Halle. I was about 5 meters from the front of the stage and in the middle. On the left of me was a French guy with a cassette recorder. Occasionally he asked me to hold it (maybe getting another cassette).
In between we helped getting a girl, who had fainted, away from the crowd. We (several people) sort of moved her to the left.

At the end of the concert the French guy promised me that he would send me a copy of the recording. Well, that never happened.
In the past I tried to find a recording of that first concert but without success.

The guy, if still alive, is by now an old dude (just like me grinning smiley) and will maybe never read this, but if he does, get that recording out, for the sake of all the (mostly German) fans (and me grinning smiley).

smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Date: October 8, 2022 17:19

French people can't be trusted (trust me, I'm French).

Date: October 8, 2022 17:20

AntoineParis
GivenToFly15

From a friend of mine, Michel bought it from a guy who works in the stadium for 7000 french francs at the time.
This mono sdb tape was in fact used for the little "football" speakers in the stands of the stade de france.
This night the sound was just crystal clear loud. Mix is so simple, Keith in the front, Charlie snare and a tired Mick. Best Keith sound ever!!

Merci pour l'info. 7000 francs, ouah!

Date: October 8, 2022 17:26

GivenToFly15
AntoineParis
GivenToFly15

Merci pour l'info. 7000 francs, ouah!
1500 euro for this quality soundboard = best deal ever

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: October 8, 2022 18:01

Slightly off topic- I sat next to the guy who recorded "Welcome to Washington" 1994-08-03 (I believe he passed away a few years back..) I didnt know it at first or I would have kept my big mouth shut. Good seats, great show, great setlist.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 8, 2022 19:03

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-08 19:04 by dcba.

Date: October 8, 2022 19:06

PaintMonkeyManBlack

1500 euro for this quality soundboard

1100? grinning smiley

Date: October 8, 2022 20:03

roryfaninva
Slightly off topic- I sat next to the guy who recorded "Welcome to Washington" 1994-08-03 (I believe he passed away a few years back..) I didnt know it at first or I would have kept my big mouth shut. Good seats, great show, great setlist.

How did he manage to hook it up with the board? A Stones employee?

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: October 8, 2022 21:37

retired_dog
stonesstein
Taylor1
1specialrider

He apparently doesn't like the mix - NoNoise doesn't change that.

NoNoise has made every recording to which I have ever heard it applied sound worse than before. The TSP Welcome to New York (like the TSP Philly Special) is an abomination. Maybe I'm wrong, but does anyone here like the NoNoised WTNY or Philly Special better than the originals?

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 8, 2022 23:32

timbernardis
How about that video of a complete show from Oakland either 1994 or 1997 which I think was made from the footage that the video guys took for the large screens, kind of the equivalent of soundboard, just that it was video instead of audio. Or correct me if I am wrong in some of that.

plexi

Hats off to the guy that intercepted the BBC's satellite feed of the Glastonbury concert in 2013.

Posted by: keithglimmer ()
Date: October 9, 2022 00:01

What about Kansas City, MO 1981 the night Mick Taylor played with them.

Date: October 9, 2022 00:36

keithglimmer

Audience recording

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: October 9, 2022 01:55

I love these stories on how the bootlegs came to be. Does anybody know how we got the place Pigalle and related products?

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: October 9, 2022 05:09

DandelionPowderman
keithglimmer

Audience recording

there is a soundboard

i think this is one of the many that were recorded by a camera man on the tour

that's where all the mono soundboards from 81 came from

the stereo ones i think come from the tapes sold off from arthur collins estate

and thanks for pointing out the audience recording from kansas city

i didn't know about this one

could someone post the lossless version for me this is really a fantastic recording!smiling smiley

Date: October 9, 2022 05:36

and i think ronnie traded a bunch of his new barbarian tapes for drugs in the 80's

that's how we ended up the the drug dealer tapes vol. 1-2

and it was ronnie's son who sold the dac tapes that where used for voodoo brew, stew, and residue

Date: October 9, 2022 05:39

i believe i remember that the tape that was used for munichland melodies was stolen by a journalist from keith

Date: October 9, 2022 05:42

wasn't the tapes for the satanic majesties session pulled out of a dumpster outside olympic studios?

or is that just a myth?

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: October 9, 2022 06:19

I know in Dublin for a good few years SBD recordings came about through criminal enterprises. They would hook direct to the mixing board through whatever conversations or hint at implications. Bouncers in the venues usually were part of the conversation with the guy on the desk. I saw it lots of times. By the mid 90s you could go to the gig Friday night and have a SBD cassette of it in certain shops the next morning. One guy in Temple Bar always had them first and they would be soundboard quality.

I pictured a flat with 2 printers and 200 cassette decks dubbing at high speed all night to get these into the shops and stalls next morning. They mostly had yellow or green sleeves with a shitty black picture on the front.

I’m guessing theres a lot of Stones SBD boots out there because of crime. Bootlegging was a profitable business back in the pre Internet days.

Posted by: 1specialrider ()
Date: October 9, 2022 08:36

Gazza
illyad1960

he ripped it out of the tape that was running at the mixing desk mid-way through the last song and scarpered out of the theatre, apparently.
It’s been decades since I’ve thought about the details surrounding the appearance of the Passaic 78 tape. At the time ,I was acquainted with several of the principles.Here’s my best recollection: Steve K.attended the first 2 shows of the 78 tour. He noticed a blinding white light flash/ affect that occurred near the beginning of Street Fighting Man. He hovered near the soundboard in Passaic,and,at the moment the blinding light flash occurred,snatched the soundboard.He then flew to L.A.,where he hooked up with Brad B.,a dealer in Stones memorabilia with bootleg connections.They issued In Again,Out Again and Out on Bail,two single lps ( one w/ bonus 45).These were followed by Garden State 78,the 2 lp set version.
A couple interesting asides: Steve told me the 2 single lps were the raw ,unprocessed soundboard. The 2 lp set had some minor processing.
Steve then became involved with Andrea W.( the infamous Vicki Vinyl).
He put out a 2 lp set under her auspices,A Summer Romance With The Rolling Stones.Most copies were seized by the Feds when Vicki was busted in 1979. Only several hundred copies of the original 2lp set made it out. It was eventually counterfeited by another bootlegger .The second version is distinguished by blurred color on some of the images.

Date: October 9, 2022 10:13

ProfessorWolf
i believe i remember that the tape that was used for munichland melodies was stolen by a journalist from keith

Daniel Vermeille.
IORR member LiveAtHydePark knows the story behind the cassette. Maybe he'll chime in to tell us a thing or two.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1227
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home