Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: 60 Years Ago Today, Dr. No and "Love Me Do" Change Pop Culture Forever
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 5, 2022 12:20

Re: OT: 60 Years Ago Today, Dr. No and "Love Me Do" Change Pop Culture Forever
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 5, 2022 18:10

Thanks tatters.thumbs up

"Six decades later, however, and it's still Bond and The Beatles who remain the foremost icons of their era".

Date: October 5, 2022 20:14

Coincidentally, the first Beach Boys album, Surfin' Safari, was released just a few days earlier, on October 1, 1962.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: October 5, 2022 20:34

I just bought Blofeld’s costume from SPECTRE at auction. “No, I expect you to die…”

Posted by: ds1984 ()
Date: October 5, 2022 20:57

Love me do is both a minor song and a minor hit.

The real success for The Beatles is 1963.

Posted by: StonesSmeth99 ()
Date: October 5, 2022 20:59

ds1984
Love me do is both a minor song and a minor hit.

The real success for The Beatles is 1963.

But cataclysmic in some ways, it led to Pete Best being dropped and Ringo being appointed.
And that unique sound heard by Britain (if not the USA) for the first time.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 5, 2022 21:05

I remember sitting in a movie theater as a kid in 1962. It was a Saturday morning and they would show kiddie cartoons, Three Stooges shorts. Then they would show a feature. Often it was a child's movie, like 'Pinnochio'. Presley movies were other faves for kids. Every once in a while they'd just play whatever they were showing at night, regardless of content. (Although there wasn't nudity, or foul language). One particular Saturday they showed 'Dr. No.' I wasn't really into adult films at that age, but I enjoyed the action, and the strange tingling Ursula Andress gave as she came out of the water in her bikini.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: October 5, 2022 21:06

Meanwhile, on July 12th 1962, the world was truly gifted with the greatest band ever.

Date: October 5, 2022 21:16

MKjan
Meanwhile, on July 12th 1962, the world was truly gifted with the greatest band ever.

The first Dylan album came out that year as well. For me, '62 is where it all begins. the Big Bang of Popular Culture, or at least, the pop culture that I'm personally interested in, having never been much into anything Fifties.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: October 5, 2022 23:19

tomcat2006
I just bought Blofeld’s costume from SPECTRE at auction. “No, I expect you to die…”

guess you got your halloween costume for this yeargrinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-05 23:19 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 5, 2022 23:53

.... beatlewashing again ......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: StonesSmeth99 ()
Date: October 6, 2022 00:16

Comments from Steve Jordan in The Guardian:
[www.theguardian.com]

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: October 6, 2022 00:47

StonesSmeth99
[www.theguardian.com]

That article really really contains a lot (not all) of rubbish.

To fully appreciate how different The Beatles' sound was you had to have been listening to 1950's bland Payola music for many years. That DIFFERENCE in late 1962 was stunning and on first hearing in 1962 it really stood out. (See later for an anecdote).

So, an article in 2022 that writes about that difference and uses as several examples comments from people who were not even born in 1962, or who lived in the USA and didn't hear "Love Me Do" until early 1964, can only be rubbish. Listeners in the USA in 1964 are most unlikely to have been exposed to "Love Me Do" before hearing many many other recordings by The Beatles and other bands in that invasion.

Exceptionally an honorable mention has to go to Lulu's contribution. Her background means that she really knows what she's talking about on this subject.

Worth recording that one year later in November 1963 when Beatlemania had really taken off with a vengance in the UK, that the Daily Express was reporting a comment by EMI that "Love Me Do" had only sold 90,000 copies. (By that stage "She Loves You" had gone to No 1 on release with a pre-order of 1,000,000 copies in the UK alone - population at that time about 50m.)

This is not an attempt to pound on and on about how good or bad The Beatles were, but to emphasise how DIFFERENT they were at that point in time.

Anecdote. In the late 1990's a work friend - who would have been about 18 or so in 1962/3 - found out that I then had the kit, and the software, to copy reel-to-reel tapes to CD. She had several tapes of off air recordings of (UK) Sunday evening 'Pick of the Pops' - which was the weekly run down of the UK charts ending with that week's No1. So, a great snapshot of the popular best selling music at that time. It's an entertaining and educational task and can only be done in real time. Listening through those several hours of tape really brought it home to me that the music pioneered by The Beatles (and then Merseybeat and then The Rolling Stones) really really really did sound very different to everything that had gone before.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: October 6, 2022 01:55

One was the beginning of hearing a great band the other was a great actor in a ridiculous fantasy

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 6, 2022 02:33

A good point here about that the context matters.

Now "Love Me Do" sounds like a funny, harmless and innocent little pop song, but I can only imagine how different and fresh it sounded at the time. That it was just a minor hit - it didn't even make UK Top Ten lists if I recall right - it surely made an instant impact on recieving ears. One of those pairs was own by a collective called The Rollin' Stones. Like is claimed in many Stones biographies the Stones were really stunned by hearing it from a radio, it having a harmonica and all. They thought the band in question was doing the same R&B thing as them, and them being even angry and jealous about it. At that time they felt The Beatles were in the same corner as them, soul brothers in music. In a way they were, and would remain, no matter what minor - but of course crucial for many of us fans of each group - differences the groups stylistically had.

So yeah, I accept that the release of the first Beatles single was a turning point in many ways. Of course, the birth of Beatlemania and all that blah blah blah took some time to happen. But it all, the beat group mania, and with that, the 60's pop culture, started with "Love Me Do". The new sound was introduced there.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-06 02:37 by Doxa.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 6, 2022 05:22

The true birth of the 60s culturally right there whether your a Bond or Beatles fan. Stunning it's still significan't 60 years later.

Do you think in 1962 they were looking back fondly at the cultural impact of 1902? I'd wager if anything it was 1942...and maybe not too fondly at that.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: October 6, 2022 05:35

treaclefingers
The true birth of the 60s culturally right there whether your a Bond or Beatles fan. Stunning it's still significan't 60 years later.

Do you think in 1962 they were looking back fondly at the cultural impact of 1902? I'd wager if anything it was 1942...and maybe not too fondly at that.

Cultural Cringe moment. If you live in the USA, then indeed 1942 (pedantically December 1941) may well have significance.

But in the UK, whence Bond & Beatles, 1939 would be far more meaningful. (Arguably 1938 the year of the Munich "agreement" or even earlier years when you-know-who invaded/annexed other European nations - as I type it sounds familiar!)

(Important note. For many though, WW2 started in the mid-1930s with the Japanese invasion of China and the Nazi support of the insurgents attempting to overthrow the elected govt of Spain. There may be other skirmishes that I ought to mention...)

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 6, 2022 06:27

The reality for American listeners is we didn't hear Love Me Do until deep into 1964. There were so many other Beatle releases that had evolved far past it, that the two-year-old song sounded ancient by the speed at which the Beatles were moving.

American rock and roll was not exactly moribund when the Beatles arrived. We had a great radio time with Phil Spector's recordings, and it's hard to explain to a foreigner how big the Beach Boys were. Of course they were just sort of recycling a Chuck Berry sound at that time. The Beatles were so much more.

As for the Stones it took a while for them to break from the British Invasion pack in America. A lot of great music being made.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-06 06:41 by 24FPS.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 6, 2022 07:23

Love Me Do is great. I think reaching #17 for your first release isn’t too bad. Thinking about it, it’s almost other worldly. We think of the Beatles battling it out against the Stones, Who and The Kinks, etc. For their debut release in ‘62, the U.K. competition was more along the lines of Cliff Richard and The Shadows, Billy Fury and some bloke called ‘Elvis’ Different times indeed.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: October 6, 2022 08:53

Big Al
Love Me Do is great. I think reaching #17 for your first release isn’t too bad. Thinking about it, it’s almost other worldly. We think of the Beatles battling it out against the Stones, Who and The Kinks, etc. For their debut release in ‘62, the U.K. competition was more along the lines of Cliff Richard and The Shadows, Billy Fury and some bloke called ‘Elvis’ Different times indeed.

I was waiting for this one, Big Al winking smiley
In 1962 I was 14 and indeed the music scene was dominated by the likes of Elvis, Cliff, Fury, Steele, Beach Boys, the Everlys, Chuck, Jerry Lee and the likes. Not until well into 1963 these Liverpool kids became “talk of the day”, based on a silly song called “She loves you”. Nobody talked about the song, giggling girls dominated the conversations on who was the most cute one of those “long haired” lads. It was the beginning of a hype and it took a little while before the music took over the conversations.
To me The Beatles were nothing more than the start of yet another hype, helped by pirate radio stations. The tactics of airing music was the big change and helped the Beatles a lot with their release of merely silly songs. Only well into 1964 the band started to write some decent own material. Them writing own songs was a game changer in the music world. All the rest was hype.
cool smiley

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: fzv98d ()
Date: October 6, 2022 13:44

There is a great new book about this called, Love and Let Die about this

Date: October 6, 2022 13:52

CaptainCorella
treaclefingers

Cultural Cringe moment. If you live in the USA, then indeed 1942 (pedantically December 1941) may well have significance.

But in the UK, whence Bond & Beatles, 1939 would be far more meaningful. (Arguably 1938 the year of the Munich "agreement" or even earlier years when you-know-who invaded/annexed other European nations - as I type it sounds familiar!)

(Important note. For many though, WW2 started in the mid-1930s with the Japanese invasion of China and the Nazi support of the insurgents attempting to overthrow the elected govt of Spain. There may be other skirmishes that I ought to mention...)

All like most people, you could argue the Second World War started when The United Kingdom declared war on Germany, after they invaded Poland. Isn't this mentioned in Fawlty Towers? grinning smiley

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: October 6, 2022 14:18

tomcat2006
Goldfinger quote, not Blofield

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 6, 2022 15:04

Big Al
Love Me Do is great.

To me it's ear saccharine.
Fortunately the cure for this silly pop band came in 1963. And 59 years later we're still fans of Mick Keith and Charlie Watts.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: October 6, 2022 15:59

The first Beatles single was the the first step towards a new culture, better saying a new pop culture. Honestly speaking, without the Beatles's success the Stones would have remained as a blues band.

I don't see that major influence for James Bond films - maybe another genre but not more. Those films didn't generate the earthquake as the Beatles music. If one could compare at all ...

Date: October 6, 2022 17:25

dcba
Big Al
Love Me Do is great.

To me it's ear saccharine.
Fortunately the cure for this silly pop band came in 1963. And 59 years later we're still fans of Mick Keith and Charlie Watts.

With a limp cover of a pretty average Chuck Berry number. Love Me Do is the far superior record!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-06 17:26 by Big Al.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: October 6, 2022 19:23

Come On was the start for the Rolling Stones, and their amazing catalog, which they are still performing in 2022.

The Beatles limped out after about 10 years. Love Me Do is a nod to Hey Baby.Not that original.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: October 6, 2022 23:30

Did anyone see the new doc on David Bowie, Moonage Daydreams?
At one of his shows, he started singing "Love Me Do," with the whole audience joining after a few bars.

From this topic, I have more understanding, I think, about why he chose that song.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 7, 2022 02:35

CaptainCorella
StonesSmeth99
[www.theguardian.com]

That article really really contains a lot (not all) of rubbish.

To fully appreciate how different The Beatles' sound was you had to have been listening to 1950's bland Payola music for many years. That DIFFERENCE in late 1962 was stunning and on first hearing in 1962 it really stood out. (See later for an anecdote).

So, an article in 2022 that writes about that difference and uses as several examples comments from people who were not even born in 1962, or who lived in the USA and didn't hear "Love Me Do" until early 1964, can only be rubbish. Listeners in the USA in 1964 are most unlikely to have been exposed to "Love Me Do" before hearing many many other recordings by The Beatles and other bands in that invasion.

Exceptionally an honorable mention has to go to Lulu's contribution. Her background means that she really knows what she's talking about on this subject.

Worth recording that one year later in November 1963 when Beatlemania had really taken off with a vengance in the UK, that the Daily Express was reporting a comment by EMI that "Love Me Do" had only sold 90,000 copies. (By that stage "She Loves You" had gone to No 1 on release with a pre-order of 1,000,000 copies in the UK alone - population at that time about 50m.)

This is not an attempt to pound on and on about how good or bad The Beatles were, but to emphasise how DIFFERENT they were at that point in time.

Anecdote. In the late 1990's a work friend - who would have been about 18 or so in 1962/3 - found out that I then had the kit, and the software, to copy reel-to-reel tapes to CD. She had several tapes of off air recordings of (UK) Sunday evening 'Pick of the Pops' - which was the weekly run down of the UK charts ending with that week's No1. So, a great snapshot of the popular best selling music at that time. It's an entertaining and educational task and can only be done in real time. Listening through those several hours of tape really brought it home to me that the music pioneered by The Beatles (and then Merseybeat and then The Rolling Stones) really really really did sound very different to everything that had gone before.

Like Lulu, I was 13 (and British) when Love Me Do appeared. The British charts were mostly full of (a) White American artists - Elvis, Roy Orbison, the Everleys (b) Covers of American pop hits by British artists (c) Tame British pop and (d) quite a lot of very middle of the road songs with strings, for middle-aged people. Love Me Do didn't sound like any of them, and the harmonica was a rare instrument when we didn't get to hear any American blues on the radio beyond the occasional Chuck Berry release.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-07 02:41 by Green Lady.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: October 7, 2022 03:21

love me do opened the flood gates on a cultural revolution the gave us untold amounts of wonderful new and creative music, art, literature and film that changed the world

dr. no gave us......

um.....

oh yeah!

grinning smiley

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1860
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home