Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Jumpin’ Jack Flash REMIXED!
Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: October 1, 2022 01:35

Listen with earphones. This guy has digitally processed the song to extract and separate the instruments.

You can hear two drum tracks - the original drums plus Keith’s acoustic guitar quite faintly in the left channel and which was recordedb on the Phillips cassette recorder and later transferred to the studio multitrack recorder, and the overdubbed drum track in the centre. The electric guitar to right - I’ve always thought there was a piano in there reinforcing the riff, am I right?

It turns out that the instrumentation is actually quite sparse - only two guitars, drums x2, bass, and possible piano during the first half of the song. The official release is somewhat murkier and blurred together which gives the impression there’s more going on. Later on a third guitar, maracas and organ are added.

A great recording that was built up by adding each instrument separately, rather than the whole band recording live together in the studio as they did on almost every other recording. Street Fighting Man was recorded the same way. If only they’d utilised this approach for more songs.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-01 11:35 by WeLoveYou.

Re: Jumpin’ Jack Flash REMIXED!
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 1, 2022 02:56

Why mess with perfection? 1 of the greatest singles ever, right up there with "Good Vibrations". If these remixers are so great, why aren't they doing their own work on something original?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 1, 2022 03:35

I don't know how many times I've listened to JJF but I never tire of it. I have very songs that are like that for me.

Satisfaction is the opposite for me, so I've avoided it for a couple of decades, but now when I do hear it I can still enjoy it.

Brown Sugar the same...just too much treacle.

Having said all of that the remix is fine but doesn't add anything and in fact overall is a bit worse. Nice curio though but glad this wasn't the final mix.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: October 1, 2022 03:47

crholmstrom
Why mess with perfection? 1 of the greatest singles ever, right up there with "Good Vibrations". If these remixers are so great, why aren't they doing their own work on something original?

Hmmm, I wouldn't put Good Vibrations anywhere near JJF.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: October 1, 2022 04:11

WeLoveYou
Listen with earphones. This guy has digitally processed the song to extract and separate the instruments.

You can hear two drum tracks - the original drums plus Keith’s acoustic guitar quite faintly in the left channel and which was recorded on the Phillips cassette recorder and later transferred to the studio multitrack recorder, and the overdubbed drum track in the centre. The electric guitar to right - I’ve always thought there was a piano in there reinforcing the riff, am I right?

It turns out that the instrumentation is actually quite sparse - only two guitars, drums x2, bass, and possible piano during the first half of the song. The official release is somewhat murkier and blurred together which gives the impression there’s more going on. Later on a third guitar, maracas and organ are added.

A great recording that was built up by adding each instrument separately, rather than the whole band recording live together in the studio as they did on almost every other recording. Street Fighting Man was recorded the same way. If only they’d utilised this approach for more songs.

Jumpin’ Jack Flash (2021 Stereo Remix / Remaster) - Rolling stones - Youtube
Im not sure that’s totally accurate. There is also a blues harp or a mellotron that sounds like a blues harp at the end of the song.On the isolated tracks cd you can hear it and what also sounds like more than 3 guitars. On the software app where you can remove the vocals it sounds like more than 3 guitars

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: October 1, 2022 05:36

How do you remix a song without having access to the original tracks? You can’t. People are just enhancing the final mix. Different eq’s

Posted by: northof49 ()
Date: October 1, 2022 05:37

Somewhat anti-climactic. Sounds pretty much the same to me as the song i heard for the first time with my transistor radio held up to my ear while on my newspaper route...about a hundred years ago.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 1, 2022 07:23

MKjan
crholmstrom

Hmmm, I wouldn't put Good Vibrations anywhere near JJF.

True. Good Vibrations is pure genius, from Brian, the Beach Boy harmonies, and the greatest studio musicians on the West Coast. JJF is a totally different animal. Among the best pure rock and roll records ever made. Two different sounds.

Date: October 1, 2022 09:30

Software was used to separate out the instruments. It’s not a compete remix sure, it’s as near to one as one can get.

This version is clearer. The point of doing this is to hear the instruments more clearly with a degree of separation. To me the official released recording has always been a bit of a mystery, how did they record it? Now it’s a bit less of a mystery. Sure keep listening to the original. I’m glad this version was created though.

Agree re mellatron/harp at the end. I still can’t hear more than three guitars though. I only hear the acoustic guitar to the left, electric guitar to the right (Gibson LP Custom?), and an electric guitar dead centre during the bridge part.

But what’s bugging me - can anyone hear a piano bolstering the right-panned electric guitar main riff?

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: October 1, 2022 09:57

tiger rodgers has done well over twenty "stereo remixes" of stones tracks mostly from mono tracks

what's stands out to me in the new "mix" of jjf is the background vocals just wow

and i love listening to these stereo "mixes" he does of tracks tat have always been in mono

it's not about messing with perfection or improving upon it

it's about experiencing something familiar in a new way

here my favorite

now what i wish someone would do with this technology is give us a proper stereo (or mono) mix of got live if you want it

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-01 09:59 by ProfessorWolf.

Date: October 1, 2022 10:20

The original London release of Got Live is good, on vinyl and CD. Find it on file sharing bittorrent sites.

The current official CD and streaming version that’s been out for quite a while is dreadful.

Date: October 1, 2022 11:07

you know a thought that's been rattling around in my head for awhile now after i found out how disney took 40+ years off of james earl jones and mark hamill's voices

is what happens in 5 to 10 years from now when the technology/software to convincingly "de-age" someone's voice is something that normal people have access to

now i couldn't see mick doing this but people on youtube i'm sure will

imagine somebody going over all the outtakes that mick has added vocals to over the last decade and altering his vocals so it sound like they were recorded by him in the 70's instead of by him in his 70's

or altering his voice on live recordings made in the last couple years to make it sound like him in the early 60's

and even crazier picture hearing ghost town except instead of 77 year old mick it's 27 year old mick singing

or the opposite imagine someone replaced all of micks vocals from exile with the mick of today

i don't know if i should be appalled or excited by this idea

but i do think it's gonna happen eventually

Date: October 1, 2022 11:16

WeLoveYou
The original London release of Got Live is good, on vinyl and CD. Find it on file sharing bittorrent sites.

The current official CD and streaming version that’s been out for quite a while is dreadful.

i have the original vinyl release in stereo and mono (several copies of the stereo) plus several versions on cd

and i still find the mixes pretty poor

what i did is i recorded the the stereo vinyl with my computer and then i split the the track into two separate tracks with audacity

then deleted the left channel with mostly mick's vocals and doubled the right channel and recombinded it into one track

this is my current favorite way to listen to gliywi

mick's vocals are still there but there much more level with the band then on the official mono versions and it gives it a bit more omph!

Date: October 1, 2022 11:19

ProfessorWolf
WeLoveYou

i have the original vinyl release in stereo and mono (several copies of the stereo) plus several versions on cd

what i did is i recorded the the stereo vinyl with my computer and then i split the the track into two separate tracks with audacity

then deleted the left channel with mostly mick's vocals and doubled the right channel and recombinded it into one track

mick's vocals are still there but there much more level with the band then on the official mono versions and it gives it a bit more omph!

It’s true the original release is a bit odd, vocal on one side and the band on the other.

By the way, how do you embed a youtube video? I can’t get the video in my original post above to embed.

Date: October 1, 2022 11:28

got to the video link tap in the bottom left of the icons above this text and add the the url from whatever youtube video you want to add BUT delete the s from https so that it's http

for example

https://m.youtube.co

becomes

http://m.youtube.co

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-01 11:30 by ProfessorWolf.

Date: October 1, 2022 11:32

also here ya go

Date: October 1, 2022 11:36

Thanks, posted again thumbs up

Date: October 1, 2022 11:39

and with pictures you need to be on a device running windows (since i can't and don't think you can with a android device)

then find the image you want to add online right click on it and click on "copy image address" or something similar with the word image in it

then click on the "insert image url" tab above this text

paste the image address and there ya go

i know you didn't ask this but many are also confused about this as well so thought i'd show you how to do this too

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-01 11:42 by ProfessorWolf.

Date: October 1, 2022 11:41

WeLoveYou
Thanks, posted again thumbs up

your welcome

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: October 1, 2022 12:27

ProfessorWolf
WeLoveYou

The issues with AI is, that once you have mono, you won't get separated guitars. The only AI software I know that can separate acoustic and electric guitar is LALAL. But even there, instruments sometimes switch from one channel
to the other, which gives you a hard time listening to it (at least on headphones).
So if you wanna have some stereo effekt in the instruments, you have to do some weird arrangements. With that I mean putting bass, drums or vocals in one channel, although they all should be centered.

So long story cut short: I guess you won't get a satisfying result right now
by working on mono recordings with AI.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-01 12:28 by falo01.

Date: October 1, 2022 12:42

falo01
ProfessorWolf
WeLoveYou

The issues with AI is, that once you have mono, you won't get separated guitars. The only AI software I know that can separate acoustic and electric guitar is LALAL. But even there, instruments sometimes switch from one channel
to the other, which gives you a hard time listening to it (at least on headphones).
So if you wanna have some stereo effekt in the instruments, you have to do some weird arrangements. With that I mean putting bass, drums or vocals in one channel, although they all should be centered.

So long story cut short: I guess you won't get a satisfying result right now
by working on mono recordings with AI.

ahh well shucks

i guess we'll all just have to wait for the stones to come to there senses and give us a proper stereo mix

that being said i still wouldn't mind hearing what you described above

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 1, 2022 13:48

The 'solo' or lead guitar in the middle sure sounds much clearer now, and the notes are quite different to what I always thought they are, and different to what has always been played live.

Mathijs

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 1, 2022 14:30

I wonder if this person used the mono mix, or the original, 1968 stereo-mix of Jumpin’ Jack Flash as the source. I ask, as I do notice that on their page, they’re seemingly remixing mono-only tracks: Come On, Carol, etc.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: October 1, 2022 16:04

ProfessorWolf

imagine somebody going over all the outtakes that mick has added vocals to over the last decade and altering his vocals so it sound like they were recorded by him in the 70's instead of by him in his 70's

or altering his voice on live recordings made in the last couple years to make it sound like him in the early 60's

Professor! I have long thought this, because the "sharp" "nasal" vocals of Mick since the Exile outtakes included on its bonus disc sound, well, out of place and very "21st Century" vox on 20th Century music. (Well, they are 21st Century vox, after all!) Between these, and Mick's "affectations" such as singing Beast of "bah-din" instead of Beast of "burr-den" are noticeable and, to me, detract from the trax' being as good as they could be.

Still, to some degree, I think that this has been addressed on trax such as those on Tattoo You's bonus material, because thereon, Fiji Jim may be the best and most classic Stones' sounding track (along with Rough Justice and Claudine) that the band has released for the past 35 years.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Date: October 1, 2022 16:17

stonesstein
ProfessorWolf

Professor! I have long thought this, because the "sharp" "nasal" vocals of Mick since the Exile outtakes included on its bonus disc sound, well, out of place and very "21st Century" vox on 20th Century music. (Well, they are 21st Century vox, after all!) Between these, and Mick's "affectations" such as singing Beast of "bah-din" instead of Beast of "burr-den" are noticeable and, to me, detract from the trax' being as good as they could be.

Still, to some degree, I think that this has been addressed on trax such as those on Tattoo You's bonus material, because thereon, Fiji Jim may be the best and most classic Stones' sounding track (along with Rough Justice and Claudine) that the band has released for the past 35 years.

i agree fiji jim is great

i've actually gotten used to micks vocals as they are on these bonus discs

but am curious what they would sound like with the vocals altered to sound like a younger mick

and i think it's just a matter of time at this point

i'm sure this technology will eventually become more widely available and messing with vocals on songs will definitely be a big use for it online

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 1, 2022 22:51

Totally fascinating. Great shock to the ears to hear what's actually going on here. Very fun. Such a dynamic track.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: October 1, 2022 23:57

Big Al
I wonder if this person used the mono mix, or the original, 1968 stereo-mix of Jumpin’ Jack Flash as the source. I ask, as I do notice that on their page, they’re seemingly remixing mono-only tracks: Come On, Carol, etc.

It hasn’t been remixed. As I stated before it just been re EQ d. You can do some work by isolated different frequencies. But as far as the original 8 tracks or so it is impossible to do without the original in mixed tracks. This is why George Martins son can do the work on Beatles material. He has access to the original tracks

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 2, 2022 02:33

Cooltoplady
Big Al

It hasn’t been remixed. As I stated before it just been re EQ d. You can do some work by isolated different frequencies. But as far as the original 8 tracks or so it is impossible to do without the original in mixed tracks. This is why George Martins son can do the work on Beatles material. He has access to the original tracks

Sorry to say this, but you're wrong. This new technique isn't about just EQing by "isolating different frequencies", it's about extracting certain instruments and vocals so you can in fact create a true stereo mix from a mono source without access to the original multitrack tapes.

That said, there are indeed limitations. If you have for example two guitars like in nearly all Stones mono mixes it is close to impossible to separate them because the guitar frequencies are usually in the same frequency range, so you can't create a stereo mix with the two guitars panned left and right in the stereo spectrum.

However, the Tiger Rogers YouTube channel has quite a few excellent stereo mixes of early Stones material that's only available in mono so far. Just listen and decide for yourself if it was worth the effort.

Posted by: Hansel1976 ()
Date: October 2, 2022 10:39

Nice,trying to replicate those chords to sound true to the records can be challenging,so having the isolated tracks is handy.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: October 3, 2022 03:13

retired_dog
Cooltoplady
Big Al

Sorry to say this, but you're wrong. This new technique isn't about just EQing by "isolating different frequencies", it's about extracting certain instruments and vocals so you can in fact create a true stereo mix from a mono source without access to the original multitrack tapes.

That said, there are indeed limitations. If you have for example two guitars like in nearly all Stones mono mixes it is close to impossible to separate them because the guitar frequencies are usually in the same frequency range, so you can't create a stereo mix with the two guitars panned left and right in the stereo spectrum.

However, the Tiger Rogers YouTube channel has quite a few excellent stereo mixes of early Stones material that are only available in mono so far. Just listen and decide for yourself if it was worth the effort.

Sometimes the guitars are the same frequency. Sometimes the guitar and harmonica are the same frequency which makes it impossible to separate for DES mix.

If you listen to DES mixes on YouTube, many of them have dropouts. Tiger's mixes don't have dropouts even when the frequencies change.

Tiger separated the instruments and made new mixes.

It sounds like he worked on JJF's tape wobble too.

Someone asked, "Why didn't he work on something new?" Maybe Tiger loves the Stones. I'm glad he does. I enjoy his work.

Tiger is the best.

What needs to be turned into stereo from the Stones that Tiger hasn't done?

[www.youtube.com]

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1981
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home