Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
TOP 25 Greatest Hits Albums of ALL TIME!
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 29, 2022 20:41

This is a fab list and I'm pleased to own a very good many number on this list...interesting on the rankings as well.

I'm sure not everyone will agree. Or will you?:

[www.yardbarker.com]

Re: TOP 25 Greatest Hits Albums of ALL TIME!
Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 29, 2022 20:48

Ahhh! My big brother is number 1. I have to agree. I'm glad to see The Who's Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy on the list.

Pretty cool site also. TY!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-09-29 20:48 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: September 29, 2022 20:54

Decent list, like Treacle, I have a number of them. Perhaps Aerosmith should have been higher up. Also, I would put Alice Coopers Greatest Hits in there somewhere!
Too bad AC/DC doesn't have an actual greatest hits album!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 29, 2022 21:07

Funny, I own a couple them, but not the number one... (is that any good? grinning smiley)

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-09-29 21:09 by Doxa.

Date: September 29, 2022 21:11

Great list except for Madonna beating out some of the others like CCR is a joke.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: September 29, 2022 21:22

Two I like that aren't listed:
Santana (GH)
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers (GH)

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: September 30, 2022 00:50

100% agree on TP & the Heartbreakers... that CD spent a lot of time in my car deck

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 30, 2022 03:02

Well they sure got No1 right .................

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: September 30, 2022 08:09

Rockman
Well they sure got No1 right .................

you right but i'd put made in the shade at no. 2

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: September 30, 2022 08:17

i have

not a bad list but i'd put chuck berry's golden decade vol. 1 and 2 in there too

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: September 30, 2022 15:40

Steve Miller Band GH 1974-78 belongs up there.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: September 30, 2022 17:49

I prefer the reissue Rolled Gold + to Hot Rocks. Rolled Gold + has every song on Hot Rocks + some more charting songs from More Hot Rocks and a few not on either compilation like Little Red Rooster and I Wanna Be Your Man.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-09-30 17:54 by boogaloojef.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: September 30, 2022 19:56

Me too - Rolled Gold. And a Byrds compilation. winking smiley

Date: September 30, 2022 20:01

boogaloojef
I prefer the reissue Rolled Gold + to Hot Rocks. Rolled Gold + has every song on Hot Rocks + some more charting songs from More Hot Rocks and a few not on either compilation like Little Red Rooster and I Wanna Be Your Man.

True and you could also make an argument for the 80 song version of GRRR!

I think they went with the iconic greatest hits releases from each band though.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 3, 2022 18:09

treaclefingers
This is a fab list and I'm pleased to own a very good many number on this list...interesting on the rankings as well.

I'm sure not everyone will agree. Or will you?:

[www.yardbarker.com]

I like hits comps but I don't have very many. The two U2 ones, the two Beatles ones, the red Aerosmith one, Al Green, Pink Floyd, HOT ROCKS, of course; two of David Bowie but not the one in the article; REM (they have another one that's a 3 disc set that's really good), Bob Marley (anyone that doesn't have that one, they be touched), Carly Simon, Tom Petty's first one, both of The Cult's Beggars Banquet Records comps, and Def Leppard's VAULT. I think I have Guns'N'Roses' hits album for some reason.

Perhaps it hasn't had enough time yet to make lists like that but Zep's MOTHERSHIP is killer.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-03 18:10 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: October 4, 2022 04:42

boogaloojef

The one thing that always bugged me about Hot Rocks was the exclusion of The Last Time.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 4, 2022 07:02

There's always BIG HITS.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 4, 2022 07:48

Yeah High Tide Green Grass -- UK version ....

ROCKMAN

Date: October 4, 2022 08:35

Happy Jack
boogaloojef

The one thing that always bugged me about Hot Rocks was the exclusion of The Last Time.

Absolutely. And She's A Rainbow. I mean seriously.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 4, 2022 09:13

treaclefingers
Happy Jack
boogaloojef

Perhaps DECCA wanted to save some hits for More Hot Rocks?

Date: October 4, 2022 09:32

DGA35
treaclefingers
Happy Jack
boogaloojef

Funny you should say that...I was thinking about this.

Here's my thoughts. At the end of the contract ABKCO wanted a big pay day thinking 'this was it', their biggest act is gone. Let's throw the best greatest hits we can.

HOT ROCKS.

It was, it was fantastic. But it missed some things, like She's A Rainbow. Why no SAR? I think that the TSMR album was fairly roundly derided when it first came out and the band quickly found it's footing again with JJF and BB/LIB.

So when they put the greatest hits album together, they didn't even consider those beautiful little psychedelic ditties from 67-68. Or HYSYMBSITS etc.

When the album became an uber-hit, I think they scrambled to find a companion piece, maybe not expecting they'd even need to.

So MORE while it has great cuts just feels like such a hodge-podge. I don't think you'd put out Hot Rocks and More Hot Rocks in those sequences today with the benefit of hindsight.

But what a great one-two punch for the band from the record company they loathed.

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: October 4, 2022 12:01

More hot rocks is more a b-sides and rarity album than a Greatest Hits album in my opinion. Sure, it contains hits like It's All Over now, The Last Time and She's a Rainbow. But the majority consists of songs like Bye Bye Johnny, Money, Poison Ivy, Long Long While and Fortune Teller...

If I remember correctly, the true successor to Hot Rocks was supposed to be an album called Necrophillia, a mix of previously unreleased tracks (later released as Metamorphosis) and b-sides and rarities (Which became More Hot Rocks).

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: October 4, 2022 12:30

How can a Stones compilation that doesn't include Tumbling Dice, Start Me Up, Miss You and Angie be considered one of the best greatest hits albums?
It's not even the best Stones compilation. GRRR! was maybe the best Stones compilation that ever existed. Spanning all the years.

Or if you put HONK and Hot Rocks together you also got a pretty solid one.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: October 4, 2022 12:48

Honk is my favorite stones compilation album

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: October 4, 2022 13:23

Good list.
Elvis 30 #1 hits is great; foundation of R&R.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 4, 2022 14:51

treaclefingers
DGA35
treaclefingers
Happy Jack
boogaloojef

Here's my thoughts. At the end of the contract ABKCO wanted a big pay day thinking 'this was it', their biggest act is gone. Let's throw the best greatest hits we can.

HOT ROCKS.

It was, it was fantastic. But it missed some things, like She's A Rainbow. Why no SAR? I think that the TSMR album was fairly roundly derided when it first came out and the band quickly found it's footing again with JJF and BB/LIB.

So when they put the greatest hits album together, they didn't even consider those beautiful little psychedelic ditties from 67-68. Or HYSYMBSITS etc.

When the album became an uber-hit, I think they scrambled to find a companion piece, maybe not expecting they'd even need to.

So MORE while it has great cuts just feels like such a hodge-podge. I don't think you'd put out Hot Rocks and More Hot Rocks in those sequences today with the benefit of hindsight.

But what a great one-two punch for the band from the record company they loathed.

I have a soft spot for Hot Rocks, as it was my first-ever Stones purchase in the late-90’s. However, it’s a bit of an odd compilation in terms of the track-listing: there’s a fair bit missing. Big Hits (and Fazed Cookies) completes the picture, though. I’m still surprised it sells so steadily, considering there’s far more comprehensive compilations that’ve been released subsequently, as faceless as they may be, of course: 40 Licks, Grr, etc. If you just want the cream of the 60’s, I’d opt for the re-release of Rolled Gold. That’s a terrific overview.

Date: October 5, 2022 06:10

Big Al
treaclefingers
DGA35
treaclefingers
Happy Jack
boogaloojef

HOT ROCKS.

I have a soft spot for Hot Rocks, as it was my first-ever Stones purchase in the late-90’s. However, it’s a bit of an odd compilation in terms of the track-listing: there’s a fair bit missing. Big Hits (and Fazed Cookies) completes the picture, though. I’m still surprised it sells so steadily, considering there’s far more comprehensive compilations that’ve been released subsequently, as faceless as they may be, of course: 40 Licks, Grr, etc. If you just want the cream of the 60’s, I’d opt for the re-release of Rolled Gold. That’s a terrific overview.

Rolled Gold + is the most comprehensive of the RS 60s greatest hits compilations.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: October 5, 2022 19:06

Interesting list, but it beggars the question - just how many of the songs on these albums were hits?

Nice to note someone else mentioned Elvis. I still have him in my mind wearing that gold suit on a hits collection.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 6, 2022 01:53

I would include The Allman Brothers Band's long out of print "The Road Goes On Forever".

I own some version of the Top 9 and many of the others. My life has been validated!

Date: October 6, 2022 05:18

Elmo Lewis
I would include The Allman Brothers Band's long out of print "The Road Goes On Forever".

I own some version of the Top 9 and many of the others. My life has been validated!

I have 17 of the top 25 and 3 'other' greatest hits for other artists. I think I have albums by all 25 artists.

I am supremely validated! Or something.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1358
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home