Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Blessed Poison - Bridges to Babylon 25 anniversary!!!
Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: October 1, 2022 12:39

24FPS
VoodooLounge13
Like others have said, this was the first time I'd seen the band live as well. So really, for as much as everyone laments that they miss Bill or Mick T, or Brian. I have only ever known the Stones live as the Darryl era. I've found no problems with them, but then I've nothing to compare it to, so that might explain some of us younger folks' attitude toward things. And really, having gotten into the band at 13 with SW and Flashpoint, there really wasn't much of an exposure to Bill. Can a 13-year old really tell the difference in bass players??? To me, Voodoo Lounge was primal and faaaaaaaaaaaar supreme to SW's tinniness. But I'm digressing. I think BTB has held up remarkably well over time. And yes, I think it was the last time that they really took chances with the setlists - the whole BTB/No Security tour. When I look at my first setlist now, holy crap!!!

Satisfaction
It’s Only Rock n Roll
Let’s Spend the Night Together
Flip the Switch
Gimme Shelter
Sister Morphine
Anybody Seen My Baby
19th Nervous Breakdown
Out Of Control
Star Star
Miss You
All About You
Wanna Hold You
Little Queenie
Crazy Mama
The Last Time
Sympathy For The Devil
Tumbling Dice
Honky Tonk Women
Start Me Up
Jumpin Jack Flash
Brown Sugar

How many of us would be ecstatic for a setlist like that nowadays?!?!? Mind you, there were 8 - EIGHT - songs I'd never even heard before in that list. I didn't own them and I hadn't heard them on the radio. That's what caused me to start collecting more albums.

BTB will always hold a special place for me, because that tour started a life long obsession, and it's been 25 years today since that album dropped. I gave it a listen earlier today, and it still sounds remarkably fresh, and if the boys gave us something of this caliber as the final bow, I'd be one happy mofo!!!

Alwasy interesting to hear of 'new' fans who came upon the Stones at a much later date. (Even though it's a quarter of a century now). I wouldn't expect a 13-year old to understand what bass, especially Bill's, did to their songs. I just assumed they were all great musicians and didn't really understand Bill's contribution until later. I assumed when he left they would find a top notch rock bassist to replace him like Busta Cherry Jones. They still haven't.

I have no idea what it would be like to listen to post Wyman Stones, not knowing any other sound. The Brian Jones era. Mick Taylor. Nicky Hopkins. Bobby Keys. Bill Preston. They would all mean nothing.

i was born march 4th, 1991 the same day the last studio single with bill highwire/sex drive was released and got into the stones when i was 16 (2007)

imagine my view on them and what drew me to them and there music

the only live version i've known is the post wyman band and since becoming a fan the only version live is the post 2012 band

the only album released in that time is blue and lonesome

i can't even imagine what it was like to be a stones fan when brian was alive or see them with mick taylor in the band

or what it would have been like to listen to the big four when they came out for the first time with the rest of my generation

when the stones where gods with unparalleled impact and influence on popular culture and the musical tastes of the young

i can't imagine what's it's like to have experienced and been conscious of the band back then and then have to experience what they have become in the present

i don't find it hard to imagine why someone likes you has an often negative view on the latter day incarnation of the band

and i think it at least in part has to do with nostalgia for what was

nostalgia is a heavy burden to bear and it colors and shades the way we experience the world around us in profound ways

i don't have that burden i have the luxury and privilege to be able to experience the stones and there music on an even plain of something that has mostly happened in the past

and i think it's because of that that i'm able to basically enjoy all there music in some way

it all has deep meaning and value to me as a fan

i love bridges and exile and dirty work and a bigger bang

i listen to them all regularly in almost equal preportions

that doesn't mean i'm crazy clearly exile is better then bridges but they're both terrific albums to me just not on the same level

and i love brian, billy, bobby, the ians, nicky, ollie brown, jack nitzsche, mick taylor, and rocky dijon

they've all affected the way i view the world around me and live my life in ways i find difficulty putting into words and probably will for the rest of my life

they all have a great deal of meaning to me

sorry for ranting just suddenly had a lot to say

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: October 1, 2022 13:43

Big Al
RisingStone
I saw all but one of the Bridges to Babylon shows in Japan 1998, Tokyo Dome x 3 and Osaka Dome x 2. I didn’t see the tour opener, Tokyo first night. All of the shows I was at were fabulous, Tokyo second night (14 March) and both Osaka nights (20 and 21 March) in particular. The web vote that was introduced for the first time was fun. Genuine or fake, it didn’t matter. And that unforgettable bridge to the B-stage! It was a magic moment that transformed the huge stadium concert into a club gig sort of an atmosphere. It felt as if it was a bridge to the fans. After almost 25 years, these shows still remain some of my all-time favorite Stones concerts.

I flew over to London the next year to attend the two nights at the old Wembley Stadium, first time for me to see them on their home turf. As much as I enjoyed the shows, I was somewhat disappointed at them as well. No more web vote, the same selection of the three songs played on the B-stage both nights and the omission of YCAGWYW from the encore (the pattern passed on from the B2B Europe 98). I felt something was lost in the transition from the B2B 97/98 through the No Security US 99 to the Europe/UK 99.

IIRC the UK tour 1999 was a postponed leg of the B2B Europe 98 for some tax-related reason. Some information source (e.g. Wiki, setlist.fm) includes the Europe/UK 99 in the No Security Tour. I’m not sure. Whatever it was, to me, these London shows felt like a degraded version of the B2B Tour.

My understanding is that the 1999 European and U.K. shows were part of the Bridges to Babylon Tour, with the original stage setup and design. I’m not sure if the European dates were rescheduled from the previous year, or I’d they were newly-added.

I think they projected the visual used for the No Security Tour on the stage back screen at the Wembley Stadium for the show opening.

According to the Wiki article, “The European Leg is mainly consisted of cancelled shows from the Bridges to Babylon Tour and festivals.” Actually these dates were newly added apart from the UK shows.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: Hansel1976 ()
Date: October 2, 2022 10:32

Nothing beats the sounds of the Fender guitars and amplifier's on the opening number during the live shows.Added guitar solo on Satisfaction makes for a satisfying experience.

Posted by: ds1984 ()
Date: October 2, 2022 22:49

Hansel1976
Nothing beats the sounds of the Fender guitars and amplifier's on the opening number during the live shows.Added guitar solo on Satisfaction makes for a satisfying experience.

It is the opposite for me. Keith playing the LP on it during the WL tour was SO awesome.

And I can't believe Bridges to Babylon is already that old.
In my calendar I feel like being just 10 years old or so.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-02 23:02 by ds1984.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: October 3, 2022 01:23

ds1984
Hansel1976

It is the opposite for me. Keith playing the LP on it during the WL tour was SO awesome.

You mean, the VL tour.

I agree. Hearing Satisfaction being played a few songs into the set from the show start, embellished with guitar solo by Keith armed with the beefy-sounding Les Paul, was quite refreshing. A nice way of revitalizing a warhorse.

I also like Satisfaction as the opener of the B2B show.

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: October 3, 2022 03:17

I like already over me a lot. Good record. Thief in the night top shelf.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 3, 2022 05:21

RisingStone
ds1984
Hansel1976

You mean, the VL tour.

I agree. Hearing Satisfaction being played a few songs into the set from the show start, embellished with guitar solo by Keith armed with the beefy-sounding Les Paul, was quite refreshing. A nice way of revitalizing a warhorse.

I also like Satisfaction as the opener of the B2B show.

It was a fresh change from the drawn out boring versions of 1981 and 1989-90. Short and to the point with muscle.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1574
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home