Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Blessed Poison - Bridges to Babylon 25 anniversary!!!
Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: September 28, 2022 00:03

This great and awesome but underrated album is turning 25 years!!!

And of course, the best stage ever and tour and setlist!

Re: Blessed Poison - Bridges to Babylon 25 anniversary!!!
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: September 28, 2022 02:22

A classic.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: September 28, 2022 03:03

Decent album if not classic. When it came out, though, I was puzzled by the artwork. Still I am. A lion with the Tower of Babel (or something) under the chin? What it represents is beyond me. This is a case an ill-conceived cover detracts from the substance.

The B2B Tour is my favorite of the modern Stones era (1989-).

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 28, 2022 03:11

RisingStone
Decent album if not classic. When it came out, though, I was puzzled by the artwork. Still I am. A lion with the Tower of Babel (or something) under the chin? What it represents is beyond me. This is a case an ill-conceived cover detracts from the substance.

The cover distracts from the substance? Are you referring to the music?

Posted by: Rocknroll1969 ()
Date: September 28, 2022 03:18

I always thought Flip the switch was a pretty good rock song. The live versions really rock.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: September 28, 2022 03:21

The last great album.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: September 28, 2022 03:35

More Hot Rocks
RisingStone

I put “detracts” not “distracts”. Well, the difference doesn’t matter much here.

Music is music. The cover, sleeve, jacket, whatever, doesn’t change it one bit.
That being said, a superb jacket enhances the listening experience. On the other hand, there are albums around whose good contents (= music) are not appreciated properly because of a poor cover art. Can’t remember a good example right now, though. Sorry.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: September 28, 2022 03:37

It's the best of the last 5 albums, imho. I think VL is maybe equally good... but DW, SW and ABB are far behind, I think. I still occasionally listen to each of these, though!

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: September 28, 2022 03:41

RisingStone

great album terrible terrible cover design

it makes grrry the grrr! gorilla postivley inspired looking in comparison

the lion looks like it should be crawling out of a meteor crater to destroy tokyogrinning smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 28, 2022 03:55

Average album at best. A couple of decent tunes here, and several terrible tunes there, while the rest fall somewhere in between.
Equal to the other latter era albums as they all have a similar amount of positives, negatives, and elements that fall in to no mans land.
And like the other latter era albums, impossible to listen from start to finish without grimacing at various points as if someone had passed the gas.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: September 28, 2022 03:55

The first tour I saw them on.
I think it’s aged well, I remember a mate hating it back then, I threw it on a year or so ago on a “stones night” of record playing and didn’t tell him what album it was, “Why don’t I have this, this is pretty good, what album?”
The one you slated 20 years ago pal.grinning smiley

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 28, 2022 05:02

RisingStone
More Hot Rocks
RisingStone

I put “detracts” not “distracts”. Well, the difference doesn’t matter much here.

Music is music. The cover, sleeve, jacket, whatever, doesn’t change it one bit.
That being said, a superb jacket enhances the listening experience. On the other hand, there are albums around whose good contents (= music) are not appreciated properly because of a poor cover art. Can’t remember a good example right now, though. Sorry.

My mistake! I’m up to late

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: September 28, 2022 05:06

It’s a great album

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: September 28, 2022 05:31

Hairball
Average album at best. A couple of decent tunes here, and several terrible tunes there, while the rest fall somewhere in between.
Equal to the other latter era albums as they all have a similar amount of positives, negatives, and elements that fall in to no mans land.
And like the other latter era albums, impossible to listen from start to finish without grimacing at various points as if someone had passed the gas.

Out of the 13 tracks on the album the only one me I cringe at is Might As Well Get Juiced. That’s a no-man’s land track.

All Ready Over Me & Always Suffering are negatives.

The remaining 10, all positives and yes that includes Keith’s You Don’t Have to Mean It.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-09-28 05:31 by rattler2004.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: September 28, 2022 07:15

Juiced is one that Keef shoulda put his foot down on. But then maybe we wouldn’t have had the 3 Keef gems. Who knows. The ballads here are great. Also the first tour I saw them on, and I love the album cover. For me it’s the last time that they cared about a cover. With the slipcase too. For me, it was showing that the boys were still the kings with the Babylonian excess to boot. Great friggin stuff.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: September 28, 2022 07:26

Hairball

Fair assessment! Not a huge fan of the album, haven't played it in a number of years. Saw them in Vancouver in early 98 on the tour, not sold out, only 37000 or so. After 2 sold out shows in both 89 and 94, perhaps a bit of overexposure. Did sell out again in 06.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 28, 2022 07:36

An album that contains a couple of latter-day classics: Out of Control and Saint of Me. The former is still a live highlight, whilst it baffles me that they haven’t at least given Saint of Me a try since 2003. It could still be a real crowd-pleaser. I’m regard to the rest of the album: well, in retrospect, it was the last time Mick bought his contemporary hat to the Stones’ table with success: Anybody Seen my Baby, etc, have that late-90’s sound, definitely. Dated? Yes, but I still like it. How Can I Stop is a beautiful closer. Bridges to Babylon is not a great album, yet at least they were trying something different. Call this preposterous, but you could argue it’s their 90’s Satanic Majesty’s. Something totally left field; for them, anyway.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 28, 2022 07:40

RisingStone

The BRIDGES tour was part of the beginning of the modern era of music consumerism.

Weird how Mick thought doing BRIDGES was "too soon" after VOODOO considering the 1970s. Guess he was used to the 1980s.

Here is a good place to read about the artwork, page 6 going into 7, which still doesn't explain the connection directly from what I can understand regarding bridges:

[iorr.org]

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: September 28, 2022 08:20

This album is still one of my favorites. A classic Dtones album. I remember very well ir's release and the joy I had, listening to it again and again.
Their last studio album with own compsitions, that counts.
I was 34 years and playing theatre, having a real great lifetime!

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: September 28, 2022 08:35

RisingStone
Decent album if not classic. When it came out, though, I was puzzled by the artwork. Still I am. A lion with the Tower of Babel (or something) under the chin? .

it's an assyrian styled beard, see: [www.fotocommunity.de]

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: September 28, 2022 08:37

Isn't there an album talk we can tread on?

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: September 28, 2022 08:45

Yes, Out of Control and Saint of Me are great songs. Saw them in Albuquerque and twice in Oakland on this tour. I seem to remember they played Starfrigger at one of the Oakland shows as a song vote choice, first time I'd heard them play that in many a year, and never since. I was very happy when that was announced as the choice, but seem to remember that it was only OK when they played it. And in Oakland, we were on the floor a distance away from the B stage, but when they came out there, the floor kind of emptied around us of folks who wanted to get near it and we did the same and got quite close, the closest I'd been to them in many a tour. I think they were playing Little Queenie and Keith and Ronnie were just so powerful executing those Berry licks. Exciting.

plexi

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 28, 2022 08:58

Wish they'd have gone with the
Blessed Poison title ...it may have
even changed the direction of the album ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: September 28, 2022 09:11

For me this is the best album since Tattoo You! I can play it from start to finish and only get slightly annoyed by listening to "Always Suffering"! The best songs are Flip The Switch, Out Of Control, Might As Well Get Juiced and Too Tight for me!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 28, 2022 10:16

RisingStone
A lion with the Tower of Babel (or something) under the chin? What it represents is beyond me.

Classic Babylonian art.
[www.alamyimages.fr]
Nothing to do with the Biblical (hence imaginary) Tower of Babel.

Agreed! It's a great album worthy imo of an expanded re-release.

Date: September 28, 2022 10:42

As a collection of songs – an album – B2B is very uneven, imo. There are highs and lows, and the album doesn't flow.

Some fantastic songs in there, though: Anybody Seen My Baby, Saint Of Me, Out Of Control, How Can I Stop.

Gunface must be the ultimate clunker in the Stones's catalog, though.

There are songs with potential that never came to life: Might As Well get Juiced, Always Suffering, Too Tight.

I'm not one of them who dislike the Dust Brothers-production of Juiced, though. It's the vocal melody I don't like. It's too easy, almost lazy, too predictable for me.

The rockers are good, but not great, imo, although I like the drive of Flip The Switch. Lowdown is Stones by numbers, but they manage to make it interesting with some cool parts (slide, horns). Too Tight starts out promising, but falls flat when the bridge comes in. By the chorus it's enough for me.

Keith's songs are good, but all of those songs are laidback in a similar fashion. It's interesting that he presents three different musical genres with his three songs, though (Blues/gospel, soul and reggae).

Incidentally, I gave the vinyl a couple of spins the other day. Lots of good stuff to enjoy, but as an album – a piece of art – it's too fragmental for me.

Posted by: MizzAmandaJonez ()
Date: September 28, 2022 10:46

One deep sigh and a desperate Moan..

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 28, 2022 10:53

Too Tight is a good-'un, though I'd wager it's probably one of the most obscure Stones tracks

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 28, 2022 10:55

- "Flip the Switch" 7/10. They should have worked it a bit more.
- "Anybody Seen My Baby?" 7/10. Not bad at all.
- "Low Down" 6/10. Filler, but nice.
- "Already Over Me" 5/10 Meh.
- "Gunface" 5/10. Doesn't work for me, mediocre
- "You Don't Have to Mean It" 6/10 okayish
- "Out of Control" 7/10. Good,but not very original.
- "Saint of Me" 8/10. Good, rather fun
- "Might as Well Get Juiced" 5/10 mediocre
- "Always Suffering" 5/10 Meh
- "Too Tight" 4/10 Bad filler.
- "Thief in the Night" 9/10 Highlight of the album, maybe even 10/10
- "How Can I Stop" 7/10. Okay.

All in all, an okay "latter day" album. Would have been better without the 4/10 and 5/10. It's better than Voodoo Lounge and ABB, but not as "together" as Steel Wheels. Obviously better than Dirty Work. Compared to all albums before DW, it's not very good and only better than Between the Buttons and - maybe - Their Satanic Majesties Request. TSMR has more absolutely terrible songs, but also a number of songs that are miles better.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: September 28, 2022 10:59

Bridges to Babylon is probably their last ambitious album - not everything on it is great, yet it was a good time to be a fan when it came out. I really enjoyed the tour in 98 and 99. Keith Richards was on top of his game then. Many grooves on the album still work very well, and Mick Jagger's performance is elegant, as are the beats by Charlie Watts.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1499
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home