Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Dead & Company - The Final Tour
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 23, 2022 22:58

[twitter.com]
--

[twitter.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-15 23:50 by bye bye johnny.

Re: OT: Dead & Company - The Final Tour
Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: September 23, 2022 23:50

Thank goodness

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: September 24, 2022 01:06

How to increase dwindling ticket sales 101

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: September 24, 2022 01:15

Not really dwindling sales,

They generated over $45,000,000 for the last tour.

[touringdata.wordpress.com]

Just another way to charge more for this tour.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: September 24, 2022 01:32

As a life long Dead fan this is the best news I have heard in a while.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 24, 2022 02:11

Do they promise? How can we miss them if they won't go away?

OT: Dead and Company
Posted by: dkwalika ()
Date: May 14, 2023 18:27

Any others going to see them this year?

Any reviews from shows so far?

Re: OT: Dead and Company
Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: May 14, 2023 18:59

I listened to the broadcast from Cornell on the 8th and I don’t think they could have sounded any better.

If you’re a Dead fan, there is a lot to like. John Mayer has some serious chops on lead guitar and whoever they got on piano was fantastic. I’m of the opinion that Bob Weir’s vocals are better than ever. As a young man I think he was trying too hard and he has stopped with the grunting and groaning.

I likely won’t go see them on their last go-around, but from what I heard I would recommend it to others.

Posted by: likecats ()
Date: May 15, 2023 02:18

The piano player is Jeff Chimenti. He's been playing with Grateful Dead offshoots for a long time now.
I was disappointed to hear that Bill Kreutzmann dropped out barely a month before the tour. The band statement said it was not a health issue, it was "a culmination of a shift in creative direction".
He's been playing this music for nearly 60 years, yet couldn't hang in there for a couple more months to fulfill the final tour and then walk away. It seems strange to me and I'm sure there's more to it that we'll never know.

Anyway, I'm going to see them in L.A., both shows. Looking forward to getting my Grateful Dead fix.

Date: May 15, 2023 14:41

Wrigley Field last year was my first show ever, and I was very impressed, despite some missing players. And I agree that Weir's voice is excellent. And Mayer is incredible.

Posted by: Lamorinda ()
Date: May 15, 2023 21:54

I just saw then at Jazz Fest in New Orleans. Due to the festival set up it was not a typical show. They played one set consisting of 11 songs with lots of extended jams.

Have to admit that at times it sounded like he John Mayer band featuring Bob Weir. John Mayer, Jeff Chimenti, and Oteil Burbridge do all the heavy lifting. Weir’s guitar is very low in the mix (and he’s still got that tinny, percussive sound to his playing, for the guitar players out there).

Mayer is a fantastic player and has a found a way to get his own style/phrasing into familiar Dead tunes without copying Jerry licks (in my opinion).

They finish the tour at Oracle park here in San Francisco. I’ll probably see them again.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: May 15, 2023 22:32

This will be a fantastic tour.

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: May 15, 2023 23:03

I have seen them 4 times in the past. I'm done. I went to those past shows for some fun, which I had, no complaints except for the tempos of the songs. They play too slowly for me. I always felt the Grateful Dead were a rocking band, to me at least, and this incarnation is a bit boring for me.

Date: May 15, 2023 23:05

Ithaca NY, May 8

Minglewood Blues and Althea (starts @ 19 min)

China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider (starts @ 29 min)

Date: May 16, 2023 17:28

bye bye johnny
Ithaca NY, May 8

Minglewood Blues and Althea (starts @ 19 min)

China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider (starts @ 29 min)

Thanks!

Date: June 10, 2023 16:06

We saw them at Wrigley Field in Chicago last night amid a haze of pot smoke and some wildfire smoke visible as the sun set.

They were great for the most part. A few wrinkles, but they are worth your money. Highlights were John Mayer on many songs, especially Sugaree. They did fantastic versions of Dancing in the Streets and Terrapin Station (!).

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: June 12, 2023 16:17

I saw them in St. Louis last Wednesday. Absolutely epic! It's too bad they're going their separate ways but they initially only convened for the $$$ anyway. I think LiveNation talked them into one more summer of parking and beer sales.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 15, 2023 21:39

JimmyTheSaint
I listened to the broadcast from Cornell on the 8th and I don’t think they could have sounded any better.

Talk about damning with faint praise.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 16, 2023 01:36

24FPS
JimmyTheSaint

I wonder (sort of) if they brought in a drummer who can keep time.

Posted by: likecats ()
Date: June 16, 2023 09:40

Bill Kreutzmann dropped out a little less than a month before the tour. It was stated that the reason was not medical, but some kind of creative divergence.
Bill played this music for almost 60 years but then had creative differences a month before the final tour? There must have been something else going on.
Anyway, they got Jay Lane to take his place. I enjoyed the two shows I saw.

Date: June 16, 2023 14:43

And, I'm struggling to find a boot of the Chicago 6/9/23 show. Can anyone help a brother out?

Date: July 7, 2023 17:28

A trippy use of drone technology...........I can imagine the Stones tongue hovering over a stadium....

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 7, 2023 18:03

dkwalika
And, I'm struggling to find a boot of the Chicago 6/9/23 show. Can anyone help a brother out?
When I saw them, you could buy each show from their website or Nugs. I imagine that must still be the case?

Date: July 7, 2023 22:12

Dead & Company posted a few images from the Folsom Field drone display - great visuals.

600 drones from Boulder based @NovaSkyStories dance in the sky surprising and delighting the crowd for final epic moments at Folsom Field. Special thanks to Kimball Musk, Jeremy Stein, Don Strasburg, Lance Carl and Ryan Gottlieb. We love you, Boulder!

LARGE Version

LARGE Version

LARGE Version

[twitter.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 7, 2023 22:24

24FPS
JimmyTheSaint

Yeah, but they should be grateful.

Posted by: Lamorinda ()
Date: July 8, 2023 02:19

Anyone here going to the San Francisco shows? I’m checking StubHub….but will probably take it down to the wire….prices are sky high.

Posted by: Torontoluke ()
Date: July 8, 2023 20:38

I’m going to all 3 shows in sf

Date: July 15, 2023 14:38

Jay Blakesberg

Dead & Company: What A Long, Strange (Extended) Trip It’s Been

James Zoltak
07/14/2023

[news.pollstar.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-15 15:04 by bye bye johnny.

Posted by: MizzAmandaJonez ()
Date: July 16, 2023 07:22

Looking at their 100% different set list on night#2 makes me realize how special these guys are to their fans. Can you imagine going to three stones shows and no songs are repeated…

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: July 16, 2023 09:37

MizzAmandaJonez
Looking at their 100% different set list on night#2 makes me realize how special these guys are to their fans. Can you imagine going to three stones shows and no songs are repeated…

It's a thing with jambands to not repeat themselves over several nights, though the Grateful Dead were probably the first rock band to adopt it.

Phish played 13 nights (Baker's Dozen) at MSG in NYC in 2017 with 0 repeats.

With 400 songs under their belt, the Stones could've done it at some point, but I guess the closest we got was the Licks 02-03 tour. Still, the fact they mix up even 3-4 songs a night is pretty good for a 'classic rock' band.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1646
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home