Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Elvis Costello Sets 10-Night NYC Residency
Posted by: jmd ()
Date: September 22, 2022 00:07

[variety.com]

Sounds like an interesting concept.

Saw Elvis and The Imposters with Nick Lowe to open at Paso Robles, CA, at the beginning of September. Great show!

Re: OT: Elvis Costello Sets 10-Night NYC Residency
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 22, 2022 07:01

Oh wow.

Brilliant.

Holy crap.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: September 22, 2022 12:23

GasLightStreet
Oh wow.

Brilliant.

Holy crap.

When I saw this response, I thought it was sarcasm or something. Then I clicked the link to the Variety article on the first post and my reaction was — “Oh wow. Brilliant. Holy crap.”

This time EC (not Eric Clapton, just to make sure) will go solo for the first run of five nights and then with Steve Nieve on piano for the second. He must have a big artistic motivation to make these shows happen.

Saw him with The Imposters recently at Ipswich Regent on 22 June on my way to the Stones@Hyde Park — first time in ten years and my eleventh occasion to catch him live since 1987. A solid 2 hrs and 15 mins performance, he still got it. Charlie Sexton, the longtime cohort of Bob Dylan and ex-idol rocker from the 80’s (remember the MTV hit, Beat’s So Lonely?) played a mean guitar in the back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-09-22 12:27 by RisingStone.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: September 22, 2022 18:02

EC and Steve Nieve did a handful of shows back in the 90s that resulted in a limited ed. live boxed set that is fabulous. Watching the Detectives with just elec. guitar and piano is divine. The songs from the excellent All This Useless Beauty album (his most recent at the time) are also fabulous. Those NYC sets will be superb.

Posted by: jmd ()
Date: September 22, 2022 19:53

RisingStone
GasLightStreet
Oh wow.

Brilliant.

Holy crap.

When I saw this response, I thought it was sarcasm or something. Then I clicked the link to the Variety article on the first post and my reaction was — “Oh wow. Brilliant. Holy crap.”

This time EC (not Eric Clapton, just to make sure) will go solo for the first run of five nights and then with Steve Nieve on piano for the second. He must have a big artistic motivation to make these shows happen.

Saw him with The Imposters recently at Ipswich Regent on 22 June on my way to the Stones@Hyde Park — first time in ten years and my eleventh occasion to catch him live since 1987. A solid 2 hrs and 15 mins performance, he still got it. Charlie Sexton, the longtime cohort of Bob Dylan and ex-idol rocker from the 80’s (remember the MTV hit, Beat’s So Lonely?) played a mean guitar in the back.

Meant to mention Charlie Sexton in prior post. When I saw Elvis C. earlier this month, Charlie was on fire (matching the 100 degree weather in Paso during the early-September California heat wave). Great guitarist…

And bringing the discussion about the ECs (Elvis and Eric) full circle, discussion of Sexton reminds me of seeing Clapton at one of his Royal Albert Hall engagements back in 2009. Sexton and Doyle Bramhall II opened with Arc Angels. They reunite from time to time playing some TX gigs from what I’ve read.

Sadly, doesn’t appear I’ll be able to get to NYC for Costello in February…planning a trip around Springsteen’s show in Houston on 2/14 (which will include a side trip to Nola…)

Date: September 22, 2022 23:05

Tate
EC and Steve Nieve did a handful of shows back in the 90s that resulted in a limited ed. live boxed set that is fabulous. Watching the Detectives with just elec. guitar and piano is divine. The songs from the excellent All This Useless Beauty album (his most recent at the time) are also fabulous. Those NYC sets will be superb.

I caught the Costello & Nieve show twice. On the first occasion at the 1400 seater Sankei Hall, Osaka, 18 December, 1999, we were treated to a whopping 40-song set that lasted nearly 3 hours. That is the best Costello show I have attended to this day and one of my all-time greatest concerts.

[www.setlist.fm]

Still reeling from the experience that night, I welcomed their return to the same venue, 4 October, 2003, with huge expectation. Unfortunately Costello was under the weather this time, his voice sounding like having a throat problem. They still delivered a great show if not epic, playing for about 2 hours.

Date: September 22, 2022 23:07

jmd
RisingStone
GasLightStreet
Oh wow.

Brilliant.

Holy crap.

Meant to mention Charlie Sexton in prior post. When I saw Elvis C. earlier this month, Charlie was on fire (matching the 100 degree weather in Paso during the early-September California heat wave). Great guitarist…

And bringing the discussion about the ECs (Elvis and Eric) full circle, discussion of Sexton reminds me of seeing Clapton at one of his Royal Albert Hall engagements back in 2009. Sexton and Doyle Bramhall II opened with Arc Angels. They reunite from time to time playing some TX gigs from what I’ve read.

Sadly, doesn’t appear I’ll be able to get to NYC for Costello in February…planning a trip around Springsteen’s show in Houston on 2/14 (which will include a side trip to Nola…)

Adding to his guitar-playing skill, considering his almost perfect look, that Sexton has veered away from the road to major stardom is incomprehensible. Maybe he is too real a musician to resign himself to the life as a pop star. Terry Reid springs to my mind as a similar case.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-09-22 23:40 by RisingStone.

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: September 23, 2022 02:18

Saw the show in Thousand Oaks, very much enjoyed it and Nick Lowe was outstanding. I was really excited to see Charlie again too.

Fito Paez guested on Radio Radio which just blew my mind when he was introduced. Elvis stated he stole Radio Radio from Paez...no word on giving back the royalties.

Fito Paez was my highlight for sure but the whole show was great. The venue felt a bit too...sanitized, but that's Thousand Oaks for you.

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: September 24, 2022 05:27

That’s ballsy. Love it

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 24, 2022 13:03

May try to catch a couple of these Gramercy Theatre shows.. great concept.

Seeing him a couple times in San Francisco next week, once at the Hardly Strictly festival in Golden Gate Park, and once at a benefit concert where he'll be performing the music of Jerry Garcia & Robert Hunter. [liveforlivemusic.com]

Always a great show.. smileys with beer

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 25, 2022 07:36

RisingStone
GasLightStreet
Oh wow.

Brilliant.

Holy crap.

Costello is excellent!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1635
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home