Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: A discussion with producer Daniel Lanois
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: September 20, 2022 17:12

What a great read. I wondered while reading it what a record by the Stones produced by Lanois would sound like. I think it would be one of the more interesting Stones albums in quite awhile.

[www.popmatters.com]

Re: OT: A discussion with producer Daniel Lanois
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 20, 2022 18:10

Imho he was a one-trick pony mainly turning albums he worked into some hazy foggy sonic adventures.

It wouldn't work with a band whose production motto has always been "make it simple and dry sounding". Plus I don't think Keith would say "ok" to a producer telling him to add layers after layers of guitar overdubbing.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 20, 2022 18:30

I enjoy some of Lanois' work but a Stones record in his style would sound horrific.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 20, 2022 18:43

He is extremely eclectic, and his works with Dylan and U2 is clear enough evidence that he could also handle a "stones sound" quite well.

Among his later works, I highly recommend his collaborations with Rocco de Luca, Mercy and Rocco de Luca above all!

C

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 20, 2022 22:21

liddas
He is extremely eclectic, and his works with Dylan and U2 is clear enough evidence that he could also handle a "stones sound" quite well.

Among his later works, I highly recommend his collaborations with Rocco de Luca, Mercy and Rocco de Luca above all!

C

I had concurred with Gazza when I first read his comment, but I think you may be right. He would certainly respect their "sound".

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: September 21, 2022 02:40

That’s what the Stones should do, use a producer who takes them out of their comfort zone. I for one dislike the dry production sound

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: September 21, 2022 02:53

Taylor1
That’s what the Stones should do, use a producer who takes them out of their comfort zone. I for one dislike the dry production sound

A worthwhile opinion. Whether it works or not is another matter, though. Walking Into Clarksdale, Steve Albini-produced Jimmy Page & Robert Plant’s album, springs to my mind as an example of undesirable result.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 21, 2022 02:56

I think he would do a mighty fine job, and besides, what do they have to lose?
Dylan's Time Out of Mind is an absolute classic by any standards (and a multi-Grammy winner), and I think some of those particular production values would work great with the Stones.
Lanois' work with Neil Young also resulted in a sonic winner with Le Noise imo, and while that particualr sonic sound may or may not pair well with the Stones, it shows how eclectic Lanois can be.
At the least he could produce a single, and then the Stones would have another new song to talk about in interviews...they really should release something more at this point, and hopefully it would include Charlie.
Otherwise, it's been nothing but silence regarding brand new material, and it's deafening. At over two years old, Living in a Ghost Town already seems like an oldie but goodie at this point.............

Posted by: masseywinos ()
Date: September 21, 2022 03:24

FYI they are all at the age most people are in retirement homes eating jello. Its beyond amazing they still can do what they do. And really does anyone on the planet care outside this board if they release new music or not? No one under 50 could care less about the greatest rock band in history.And no one gives a shit about albums anymore. So I think it is a waste of time talking producers, new album etc. Let's hope they can give us a few more shows and if they ever release new music that's a bonus.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 21, 2022 06:20

dcba
Imho he was a one-trick pony mainly turning albums he worked into some hazy foggy sonic adventures.

It wouldn't work with a band whose production motto has always been "make it simple and dry sounding". Plus I don't think Keith would say "ok" to a producer telling him to add layers after layers of guitar overdubbing.

Lansois is not a one-trick pony by any means.

The very idea that you think it wouldn't work because of what they have been is the very reason why it's a fantastic idea. Perhaps you are too rigid in the idea of how the Stones record.

BRIDGES TO BABYLON says as much.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 21, 2022 06:22

To assume that Lanois with the Stones would result in whatever it is y'all are thinking is absurd.

He would do wonder for the Stones. And it would not sound like U2. Get over it.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: September 21, 2022 17:25

I love another album with the quality of Bridges

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: September 21, 2022 17:31

Reading the comments I thought of an album produced by Lanois that could be used for a template regarding him working with the Stones - "Yellow Moon" by the Neville Brothers. This album is so good, grooves like crazy and still sounds fantastic. I'll tell y'all, if you haven't heard it, check it out. Some cuts on Dylan's "Oh Mercy" album could also be used as template songs.

Posted by: drwatts ()
Date: September 21, 2022 17:50

GasLightStreet
dcba

Lansois is not a one-trick pony by any means.

The very idea that you think it wouldn't work because of what they have been is the very reason why it's a fantastic idea. Perhaps you are too rigid in the idea of how the Stones record.

BRIDGES TO BABYLON says as much.
thumbs upThe man is absolutely brilliant. His resume speaks for itself.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: September 22, 2022 18:27

Loved the stuff he did with Willie and Emmylou too.

Funny enough, my kid was playing Red Dead Redemption and I happened to hear the music and thought, that sounds like Daniel Lanois...I'm like, what is that music, and sure enough he did all the music for that which my kid was digging...had to introduce him to the Acadie album (which is really good if you haven't heard it).

Not saying all that qualifies him for a Stones album but then again I think he could certainly bring out an interesting sound out of them. Something along the lines of Dancing with Mr. D comes to mind...

Posted by: Fernandobsas ()
Date: September 22, 2022 21:37

I think they they should have cloned Jimmy Miller !!!!!!!!

Bye
Fernando

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: September 23, 2022 00:09

Anyone who did see him live recently ? He is playing in a small club Saturday night in Berlin / Germany. Was thinking of going to see him ….

Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1341
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home