Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones archive fire ??
Posted by: rolling1us ()
Date: September 17, 2022 21:16

I have no confirmation of this but i remember some years ago there was some news about a storage in the UK that burned down.

In a report i have read around that time there was mentioning of tapes by the Stones that were stored there and were lost in the fire.
Again, it is a memory, i have no further details.

Anyone else knows more about it ?

PS: hope i am wrong of course.

Re: Stones archive fire ??
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 17, 2022 22:56

A good reason to hold back releasesspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: September 18, 2022 00:07

It was a fire at some archive from Universal Music if I remember right. But I don't think it was ever really confirmed which tapes from which artists got burned. The Stones seem to store most of their tapes in their own storage rooms as can be seen in the "my life as a rolling stone" documentary series, so I don't think they were affected

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: September 18, 2022 00:58

it was in 2008 in los Angeles

as a music fan it's truly horrifing

between 118,000 and 175,000 master tapes lost!

incuding most of the chess master tapes and chuck berry's!angry smiley

this wasn't just a sad event this is a huge loss for future generations and humanity as a whole

a huge hole was burned through the cultural legacy of the 20th century

the fact that few know about this is very disturbing to me

just look at the list of artists that lost masters and tell me it dosen't bring you nearly to tears

wikipedia

and yes safety copies for many of these tapes were stored elsewhere but that's not the point these tapes are cultural artifacts there loss is still a loss even if these tapes won't be playable in a hundred years

as far i know the stones weren't effected but many of the artist that inspired and influenced them were

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: September 18, 2022 01:15

ProfessorWolf

this wasn't just a sad event this is a huge loss for future generations and humanity as a whole

just look at the list of artists that lost masters and tell me it dosen't bring you nearly to tears

wikipedia

and yes safety copies for many of these tapes were stored elsewhere but that's not the point these tapes are cultural artifacts there loss is still a loss even if these tapes won't be playable in a hundred years

as far i know the stones weren't effected but many of the artist that inspired and influenced them were
That list of artists is insane

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 18, 2022 01:18

rolling1us
I have no confirmation of this but i remember some years ago there was some news about a storage in the UK that burned down.

In a report i have read around that time there was mentioning of tapes by the Stones that were stored there and were lost in the fire.
Again, it is a memory, i have no further details.

Anyone else knows more about it ?

PS: hope i am wrong of course.

This one? [www.hollywoodreporter.com]

"The larger labels have said they have stock at other locations, but many of the smaller indies are facing devastating losses. A Sony rep told Billboard that some 25 million discs total — including CDs, DVDs, Blu-ray discs and video games — were destroyed."

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 18, 2022 01:22

Redlands fire 1973 ........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 18, 2022 01:39

ROCKMAN

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: September 18, 2022 04:51

That is an incredibly list of artists affected by the Universal fire. Wow.

Posted by: rolling1us ()
Date: September 18, 2022 14:41

Thanks for all the info. Guess time will tell if the Stones lost tapes with those fires.

Rockman, no doubt valuable stuff was lost in the Redlands fire but even Keith was in no state to remember that in those days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-09-19 11:53 by rolling1us.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: September 18, 2022 16:10

ProfessorWolf

wikipedia

Doc, there is a thread on this site and I tried to find it, but can't. It was the fire in LA and we lost a bunch of originals.

Posted by: daniel t ()
Date: September 18, 2022 16:18

Only good news is that some masters of recordings by Yoko Ono were lost...

Re: 2008 fire in Universal Music vault
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 18, 2022 16:25

shattered

Doc, there is a thread on this site and I tried to find it, but can't. It was the fire in LA and we lost a bunch of originals.

The old thread - [iorr.org] .

Date: September 18, 2022 16:40

Sheryl Crow only discovered in June 2019 the loss of their original Master-Tapes - 11 years after the fire - just due to the 2019 NY-Times-article - [www.BBC.com] .

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: September 18, 2022 16:45

Aw, you almost gave me a heart attack there, I thought the present archive had burned down....

Date: September 18, 2022 16:50

RobberBride

Aw, you almost gave me a heart attack there, I thought the present archive had burned down....

Yeah - it would be better to change the thread-title, e.g. to '2008 fire in Universal Music vault' - [www.NYTimes.com] .

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: September 18, 2022 19:11

From that list it looks like Bill Wyman was the only Stone .

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: September 19, 2022 00:24

Irix
shattered

The old thread - [iorr.org] .

thank you

i hadn't read that before

but i really like this post from doxa

Re: semi OT: UMG vault fire
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 12, 2019 13:46

Makes me (also) wonder is the record companies like Universal any longer right places to take care such a historically significiant material. The thing is that UMG is a business corporate designated to make money, or, to be precise, nowadays tries to survive in a dying business. Storaging and taking care of stuff asks money, and I do understand that in most cases - think of, say, Chess and Impulse material (RIP) - the profits are smaller than the costs.

My suggestion is that forget 'owning' the stuff and put them (of what is left) into museum or national archives or something. Its value is not any longer importnat business-wise but more that of cultural history. I think the people thinking it in more terms like that would treat them differently too (with more care and respect).

- Doxa

completely agree

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1535
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home