Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Harlem Shuffle reconciles me with Dirty Work
Posted by: GJV ()
Date: September 18, 2022 21:11

GasLightStreet
Stoneage
I think that with Tattoo You in 1981 their mission was pretty much accomplished. Not as a live act but as a recording act. They seem to think the same if you study their setlists.
Still, 1964 to 1981 is a long productive period compared with most acts.

Harlem Shuffle was played every show of the 1989-90 tours. Same with Undercover Of The Night.

One Hit was played something like 14 shows and oddly enough it took them that long to figure out it doesn't work live. Then for some reason they apparently attempted it again in 1995 but from what I can figure fortunately only for one show.

Actually Undercover was never played in 1990, not in Japan and not in Europe.

Are you sure One Hit was played once in 1995, do you know where?

Date: September 18, 2022 21:38

I seem to think 'One Hit' was only played up to '89. It's a song that should have worked live.
Maybe it's just one of those great cuts (like 'Rocks Off') that doesn't come off live.
Others like 'Anybody seen my Baby' are understandable not working live. I watched the Double Door again, and that song weak.

IMO the good songs on DW are great (One Hit, Had it w/ you, Harlem Shuffle, Too Rude, and the first part of Dirty Work; before it completely falls apart). But the bad, is oh so bad, that it corrupts the entire album. Jagger tries to mask the tuneless cuts 'Hold Back' and 'Fight' with screaming; and "winning', 'Zero' are flatout embarrassing.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: September 18, 2022 21:46

GasLightStreet
Stoneage
I think that with Tattoo You in 1981 their mission was pretty much accomplished. Not as a live act but as a recording act. They seem to think the same if you study their setlists.

I agree with you about 90%.

Harlem Shuffle was played every show of the 1989-90 tours. Same with Undercover Of The Night.

One Hit was played something like 14 shows and oddly enough it took them that long to figure out it doesn't work live. Then for some reason they apparently attempted it again in 1995 but from what I can figure fortunately only for one show.

In regard to their set list essentially stopping with 1981 since the BANG tour, perhaps, that leaves space that shows they actually play post-1981 songs.

Harlem Shuffle was played live once in 2019. UOTN has been played on the VOODOO tours, 1999 SECURITY tour, LICKS and the BANG tours.

Rock And A Hard Place for some VOODOO, BRIDGES and LICKS shows.

Mixed Emotions in 2016 for one show.

Sad Sad Sad has had a bit more air time - VOODOO, LICKS, and 3 of the NO FILTER tours.

The Stones obviously have some love for UNDERCOVER, similar to how they do with GOATS HEAD SOUP. Wanna Hold You was played on the BRIDGES tours and the 2007 BANG tour. She Was Hot during the BANG tour.

The only other post-1981 tunes they've played, more so than any of the ones mentioned above, have been Slipping Away and You Got Me Rocking.

And Out Of Control of course...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 18, 2022 22:25

Palace Revolution 2000
I seem to think 'One Hit' was only played up to '89. It's a song that should have worked live.
Maybe it's just one of those great cuts (like 'Rocks Off') that doesn't come off live.
Others like 'Anybody seen my Baby' are understandable not working live. I watched the Double Door again, and that song weak.

IMO the good songs on DW are great (One Hit, Had it w/ you, Harlem Shuffle, Too Rude, and the first part of Dirty Work; before it completely falls apart). But the bad, is oh so bad, that it corrupts the entire album. Jagger tries to mask the tuneless cuts 'Hold Back' and 'Fight' with screaming; and "winning', 'Zero' are flatout embarrassing.

Agree with you mostly..."Too Rude" is a bit boring though and "Dirty Work" I lump in with the rest of the back half. Sleep Tonight I originally liked but then you get something like "Slipping Away" and now I don't care if I ever hear Sleep Tonight again.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 19, 2022 00:27

I saw them twice in 1989, at the Coliseum in Los Angeles. I don't remember them playing Harlem Shuffle, and I was looking forward to it. They didn't play anything from Dirty Work when I saw them. I don't think they played Undercover of the Night either, though they might have one of the nights.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 19, 2022 06:46

GJV
GasLightStreet
Stoneage

Actually Undercover was never played in 1990, not in Japan and not in Europe.

Are you sure One Hit was played once in 1995, do you know where?

Holy crap. Wow.

It's amazing how things get glazed over at times.

I have not found a date for it in 1995. It's easy to miss things when it's one different.

Date: September 19, 2022 06:47

shortfatfanny
GasLightStreet
Stoneage

I agree with you about 90%.

In regard to their set list essentially stopping with 1981 since the BANG tour, perhaps, that leaves space that shows they actually play post-1981 songs.

Harlem Shuffle was played live once in 2019. UOTN has been played on the VOODOO tours, 1999 SECURITY tour, LICKS and the BANG tours.

Rock And A Hard Place for some VOODOO, BRIDGES and LICKS shows.

Mixed Emotions in 2016 for one show.

Sad Sad Sad has had a bit more air time - VOODOO, LICKS, and 3 of the NO FILTER tours.

The Stones obviously have some love for UNDERCOVER, similar to how they do with GOATS HEAD SOUP. Wanna Hold You was played on the BRIDGES tours and the 2007 BANG tour. She Was Hot during the BANG tour.

The only other post-1981 tunes they've played, more so than any of the ones mentioned above, have been Slipping Away and You Got Me Rocking.

And Out Of Control of course...

Oh crap. Yes.

More glazing over!

Date: September 19, 2022 06:49

24FPS
I saw them twice in 1989, at the Coliseum in Los Angeles. I don't remember them playing Harlem Shuffle, and I was looking forward to it. They didn't play anything from Dirty Work when I saw them. I don't think they played Undercover of the Night either, though they might have one of the nights.

Wow!

Of 4 shows, show 3 they didn't play Harlem Shuffle!

Learn something here every visit!

Date: September 19, 2022 06:50

24FPS

They played UOTN all 4 shows.

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: September 19, 2022 09:42

Always like Had it with you and Sleep tonight too...
Dirty Work (the song) is not so bad as well. Winning Ugly and Back to zero are troublesome but i prefer Dirty Work ten times more than Steel Wheels or Undercover !

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 19, 2022 10:33

GasLightStreet
24FPS

Where did you get the setlists for the individual nights? I'd love to see them.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 19, 2022 12:21

24FPS
GasLightStreet
24FPS

[www.setlist.fm]

Date: September 19, 2022 18:51

24FPS
GasLightStreet
24FPS

[www.nzentgraf.de]

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: September 19, 2022 23:10

They played all those songs you said they did not play.

24FPS

Date: September 20, 2022 12:58

GasLightStreet
emotionalbarbecue
I listened Harlem Shuffle at high volume yesterday and WOW!!

It reconciled me with Dirty Work.

Everybody plays songs written by others BUT the only covers that really deserve that name are the ones that improve the original song. And the Stones always hit the target.

(and Bill Wyman as always adds the supreme flavour)

Curious.

How does that reconcile you with DIRTY WORK?

Hi Gas

It reconciles me in the sense of wanting to listen the record again and being less critical. There are some gems in there.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 20, 2022 13:28

Dirty Work certainly ain't the best album they ever made...

but for me , one reason so many folks think its the worst is Steve Lillywhite's horrible production.

[ To be fair to him ..it was endemic in the '80s ]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 20, 2022 14:02

ROCKMAN

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 20, 2022 14:58

Spud
Dirty Work certainly ain't the best album they ever made...

but for me , one reason so many folks think its the worst is Steve Lillywhite's horrible production.

[ To be fair to him ..it was endemic in the '80s ]

For me, it's the bad songs, nothing to do w/ production.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 21, 2022 14:10

Harlem Shuffle is great, One Hit prosaic, Had it with You fair. The rest is utter crap.

Mathijs

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 21, 2022 15:24

"Had It With You" is a good example that the Stones were still trying to be experimental and avoided repeating themselves. But at the same time an example how desperated and forced their ideas of reinventing themselves started to be like when there was no real inspiration. I mean the idea of 'not sounding like a typical Stones R&B number', hey let' s leave the bass out!

But still the tune is one of the best things in the album, me thinks, despite being like the Mother of all fillers. But unfortunately that tells more about the over-all quality of the album.

But dammit - they still tried something with that album, no matter hard it was. It is an interesting album.

- Doxa

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 21, 2022 16:27

When the occasional anti-DW thread pops up here, I feel an urge to play my old worn out LP bought on release date: I still enjoy it a lot, I still love the cover art (sooner or later I will by myself one of those suits!) I still can't nail Keith's guitar fills on Sleep Tonight (one of his best ballads). I don't even skip winning ugly and back to zero anymore

It's no Exile, but I like it!

C

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: September 21, 2022 17:19

Maybe had Mick used his best songs from She’sthe Boss, like Hard Woman, Lucky in Love, Just Another Night ,or from Promitive Cool, Throwaway, Radio Control , Say You Will, maybe Dirty Work would have been better. Are there any fans out there of Turn the Girl loose?

Date: September 21, 2022 17:24

IMO, only three tracks off She's The Boss would have improved DW: Just Another Night, Secrets and Hard Woman. Maybe Lonely At The Top as well.

Primitive Cool came out after DW.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 21, 2022 18:59

Doxa
"Had It With You" is a good example that the Stones were still trying to be experimental and avoided repeating themselves. But at the same time an example how desperated and forced their ideas of reinventing themselves started to be like when there was no real inspiration. I mean the idea of 'not sounding like a typical Stones R&B number', hey let' s leave the bass out!

But still the tune is one of the best things in the album, me thinks, despite being like the Mother of all fillers. But unfortunately that tells more about the over-all quality of the album.

But dammit - they still tried something with that album, no matter hard it was. It is an interesting album.

- Doxa

And perhaps a cautionary tale of how NOT to record and release and album. I mean the cover itself should be warning enough.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 21, 2022 22:30

liddas
When the occasional anti-DW thread pops up here, I feel an urge to play my old worn out LP bought on release date: I still enjoy it a lot, I still love the cover art (sooner or later I will by myself one of those suits!) I still can't nail Keith's guitar fills on Sleep Tonight (one of his best ballads). I don't even skip winning ugly and back to zero anymore

C

It's not as bad as some people think...

And when compared to the current alternative which is nothing...zero...zilch...I think Dirty Work is actually quite good.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: September 21, 2022 22:44

I Love One Hit, Too Rude, Harlem Shuffle and Sleep Tonight.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 21, 2022 22:49

liddas

C

That's the spirit! thumbs up

- Doxa

Posted by: woodyweaving ()
Date: September 22, 2022 05:41

Anyone else here a fan of the alternate version of Back to Zero?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 22, 2022 06:27

.... yeah its cool and from deeper inta the jungle

ROCKMAN

Date: September 22, 2022 06:38

emotionalbarbecue
GasLightStreet
emotionalbarbecue
I listened Harlem Shuffle at high volume yesterday and WOW!!

It reconciled me with Dirty Work.

Everybody plays songs written by others BUT the only covers that really deserve that name are the ones that improve the original song. And the Stones always hit the target.

(and Bill Wyman as always adds the supreme flavour)

Curious.

How does that reconcile you with DIRTY WORK?

Hi Gas

It reconciles me in the sense of wanting to listen the record again and being less critical. There are some gems in there.

Aside from the misquote, are you talking about U or DW?

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1747
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home