Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: RIP Ramsey Lewis
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: September 13, 2022 18:28

He passed yesterday. He was my intro to jazz. I caught him on one of those afternoon talks shows in the early 1960s and went wow, what is this, as he and his trio swung through some numbers. This was before he scored his first major hit, The In Crowd. I have a few of his albums and love his "Ramsey Lewis Trio Sound Of Christmas" which swings like crazy and doesn't need to be saved for Christmas time listening. Check him out if you haven't.

[bestclassicbands.com]

Re: OT: RIP Ramsey Lewis
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 13, 2022 19:12

He also put out a "More Sounds of Christmas" album which is very good. Both get a lot of spins here in December. (I'll play "The In Crowd", etc., all year long, but I reserve Christmas albums for Christmas time--starting the day after Thanksgiving--but that's just me!)

Great artist. Huge loss. Rest in Peace.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 14, 2022 14:34

He did a fine version of "A Hard Day's Night," a song that must already have seemed like a bit of an "oldie" when he recorded it in October 1965.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-09-14 14:37 by tatters.

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: September 14, 2022 16:48

His 1970's 'Sun Goddess' period was massively popular - and musically influential - on the west coast where I was living and recording. He got major airplay on the east coast with the soul-rock fusion tune 'This Ain't No Fantasy' around the late 1980's. As recently as 2008 or so he had a notable hit on modern jazz stations with an instrumental remake of 'Oh Happy Day;' it's truly inspirational and elevating.

A hitmaker over at least SIX decades. Wow; congrats to Ramsey Lewis for a life so well lived!

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: September 14, 2022 18:38

The Ramsey Lewis Trio - more music from the soil, 1961 Chicago on vinyl sounds great RIP

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 15, 2022 02:17

i had several of the Ramsey Lewis Trio albums .. once I got into that instrumental piano trio stuff, I found what he does to be a lot of fun to listen to. Saw him several times. Most enjoyable to listen to. A gentleman..
maybe my favorite album of his is ‘Funky Serenity’

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: September 15, 2022 02:58

Did he play with Mick on one of his solo albums

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1805
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home