Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: OT: Rest in Peace, Queen Elizabeth II
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: September 8, 2022 22:26

RIP QE II. You were and will be a lasting symbol of what was/is England, Great Britain. May your successor be as good.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 8, 2022 22:30

That’s a nice, and quite personal, message from Mick.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: September 8, 2022 22:56

I recall reading a quote by Mick, perhaps in the 81 tour book: I'm one of the best things England's got. Me and the Queen.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 8, 2022 23:01

Very Sad............ RIP Queen

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 8, 2022 23:02

An amazing record of service, rest in peace indeed.

Date: September 8, 2022 23:33

I remember that Tony Blair more or less had to force the Queen to say a few words in public about Diana's passing. I still wonder what the Queen's relationship between her and her son prince Charles was about .

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: September 8, 2022 23:38

Weird, my first thought: Now the Stones even outlived her.
RIP Lizzy

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 8, 2022 23:44

As an American I have no idea why there is still a Royal Family in the 21st Century. Still, if it makes the U.K. sad in her passing, that makes me sad. I understand that as Royals go, she was a good example.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: September 8, 2022 23:53

Just seen this beautiful tribute.

Phillip came to me today, and said it was time to go. I looked at him and smiled, as i whispered that "I know". I then turned and looked behind me, and seen I was asleep.
All my Family were around me, and I could hear them weep.
I gently touched each shoulder, with Phillip by my side. Then I turned away and walked, with My Angel guide.
Phillip held my hand, as he lead the way, to a world where King's and Queens, are Monarchs every day.
I was given a crown to wear or a halo known by some. The difference is up here, they are worn by everyone.
I felt a sense of peace, my reign had seen its end. 70 years I had served my Country, as the people’s friend.
Thank you for the years, for all your time and love.
Now I am one of two again, in our Palace up above.

Regardless of anyones thoughts, her passing is so sad for anyone that loved her. Rest In Peace your majesty.

Credit: Just found out it was written by an English lady, Joanne Boyle, who must have written it within minutes of hearing of the passing of our Dear Queen Elizabeth ll.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-09-09 01:04 by crawdaddy.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: September 9, 2022 00:00

Queen Elisabeth II was a woman of dignity, a woman of style, with a sense of duty and a sense of humour. Respect to the British on this board. Charles will be a great king.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-09-09 00:03 by windmelody.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: September 9, 2022 00:12

crawdaddy
Just seen this beautiful tribute.

Phillip came to me today, and said it was time to go. I looked at him and smiled, as i whispered that "I know". I then turned and looked behind me, and seen I was asleep.
All my Family were around me, and I could hear them weep.
I gently touched each shoulder, with Phillip by my side. Then I turned away and walked, with My Angel guide.
Phillip held my hand, as he lead the way, to a world where King's and Queens, are Monarchs every day.
I was given a crown to wear or a halo known by some. The difference is up here, they are worn by everyone.
I felt a sense of peace, my reign had seen its end. 70 years I had served my Country, as the people’s friend.
Thank you for the years, for all your time and love.
Now I am one of two again, in our Palace up above.

Regardless of anyones thoughts, her passing is so sad for anyone that loved her. Rest In Peace your majesty.

Credit: Unknown Author

What a remarkable tribute.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: September 9, 2022 00:17

Lyrics will now change to God Save The King and also currency in Commonwealth countries will change to have Charles on it. I'm assuming all the commonwealth countries have Queen Elizabeth on like here in Canada.

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: September 9, 2022 00:21

A very sad day. I'm 60 and I've never known a world without the Queen. I think for many of us it was easy to think that the Queen WAS the monarchy.I wouldn't be too hasty to condemn Charles. My uncle, an ex-Royal marine has met him many times and won't hear a bad word said about him. Charles has made mistakes but i think he's an honourable man, playing the cards he's been dealt to the best of his ability.

its jarring to hear 'God Save the King' but we'll get used to it...

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: September 9, 2022 00:30

TheflyingDutchman
I remember that Tony Blair more or less had to force the Queen to say a few words in public about Diana's passing. I still wonder what the Queen's relationship between her and her son prince Charles was about .

[www.youtube.com]

Well that's Blair's account (and he and his wife expressed Republican sentiments in their past) and The Queen does not answer back. We will not get the full picture until 40 years after Diana's death under the 'forty year rule' re release of documents.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: September 9, 2022 00:33

bakersfield
A very sad day. I'm 60 and I've never known a world without the Queen. I think for many of us it was easy to think that the Queen WAS the monarchy.I wouldn't be too hasty to condemn Charles. My uncle, an ex-Royal marine has met him many times and won't hear a bad word said about him. Charles has made mistakes but i think he's an honourable man, playing the cards he's been dealt to the best of his ability.

its jarring to hear 'God Save the King' but we'll get used to it...

I'm sadder than I expected to be. It is more than the death of one woman but the end of an era for many of us. For me with a ( still living) mother only a few years younger than Her Majesty, there are thoughts of what is coming inevitably too.
Nice messages from Mick and the Stones via their PR. Didn't Mick receive his actual knighthood from Prince (now King) Charles?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 9, 2022 00:36

DGA35
I recall reading a quote by Mick, perhaps in the 81 tour book: I'm one of the best things England's got. Me and the Queen.

The famous quote is from 1978. So there's only Mick left...

- Doxa

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 9, 2022 00:58

Lady Jayne
TheflyingDutchman

[www.youtube.com]

Well that's Blair's account (and he and his wife expressed Republican sentiments in their past) and The Queen does not answer back. We will not get the full picture until 40 years after Diana's death under the 'forty year rule' re release of documents.

Well and even if that turns out to be true, we all have moments of regret through our lives. She was protecting the family and while she may have had some other shortcomings for 7 decades she led through some tumultuous times with duty, boundless energy, honour, grace, and style.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: September 9, 2022 02:46

I am Scottish, British and strongly opposed to the Monarchy but I still feel sad at the news. I’m 55 and she’s been there all my life. She had the role forced on her without warning as a 25 year old mother of 2 small children and spent the next 70 years giving it her all as she saw fit, with unstinting dignity, energy and a strong sense of duty, right to her final breath. Just 2 days before she died, she met with and appointed yet another Prime Minister (the 15th of her reign). When she became Queen, the Prime Minister was Winston Churchill!

Big Respect and Rest in Peace, Lizzie Windsor. I don’t think we’ll ever see her like again.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: September 9, 2022 03:52

RIP Your Majesty

She's up there with Prince Philip now.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: September 9, 2022 04:11

as an american my condolences to her family and the british people

she seemed like a good lady

sad day

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: September 9, 2022 06:30

My sincere condolences to such a beautiful and loyal woman to her country. Will be strange without her. I never saw the Queen but thought I would one day. Thank you for your long service, a job very well done. You will be missed. May you RIP

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 9, 2022 06:45

By Paul McCartney: "God bless Queen Elizabeth II May she rest in peace Long live The King" - [Twitter.com] .

By Ringo Starr: "God bless Queen Elizabeth peace and love to all the family peace and love Ringo." - [Twitter.com] .

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: September 9, 2022 09:01

RIP HRH Queen Elizabeth II.

Thank you for everything.

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: September 9, 2022 11:09

What happens next?...well

It is expected that Charles will be officially proclaimed King on Saturday. This will happen at St James's Palace in London, in front of a ceremonial body known as the Accession Council.

This is made up of members of the Privy Council - a group of senior MPs, past and present, and peers - as well as some senior civil servants, Commonwealth high commissioners, and the Lord Mayor of London.

More than 700 people are entitled in theory to attend, but given the short notice, the actual number is likely to be far fewer. At the last Accession Council in 1952, about 200 attended.

At the meeting, the death of Queen Elizabeth will be announced by the Lord President of the Privy Council (currently Penny Mordaunt MP), and a proclamation will be read aloud.

This proclamation is then signed by a number of senior figures including the prime minister, the Archbishop of Canterbury, and the Lord Chancellor.

The King attends a second meeting of the Accession Council, along with the Privy Council. This is not a "swearing in" at the start of a British monarch's reign, in the style of some other heads of state, such as the President of the US. Instead there is a declaration made by the new King and - in line with a tradition dating from the early 18th Century - he will make an oath to preserve the Church of Scotland.

After a fanfare of trumpeters, a public proclamation will be made declaring Charles as the new King. This will be made from a balcony above Friary Court in St James's Palace, by an official known as the Garter King of Arms.

He will call: "God save the King", and for the first time since 1952, the national anthem will be played with the words "God Save the King".

Gun salutes will be fired in Hyde Park, the Tower of London and from naval ships, and the proclamation announcing Charles as the King will be read in in Edinburgh, Cardiff and Belfast.

Then next year......The coronation

The symbolic high point of the accession will be the coronation, when Charles is formally crowned. Because of the preparation needed, the coronation is not likely to happen very soon after Charles's accession.

For the past 900 years the coronation has been held in Westminster Abbey - William the Conqueror was the first monarch to be crowned there, and Charles will be the 40th. His gold crown will weigh a hefty 2.23kg - almost 5lbs.

Date: September 9, 2022 11:44

DGA35
ukcal
RIP Queenie, it very British but we say Long live the King....King Charles

Actually, I read that he is expected to take the name King George VII.

King Charles III

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: September 9, 2022 12:00

ukcal
What happens next?...well

It is expected that Charles will be officially proclaimed King on Saturday. This will happen at St James's Palace in London, in front of a ceremonial body known as the Accession Council.

This is made up of members of the Privy Council - a group of senior MPs, past and present, and peers - as well as some senior civil servants, Commonwealth high commissioners, and the Lord Mayor of London.

More than 700 people are entitled in theory to attend, but given the short notice, the actual number is likely to be far fewer. At the last Accession Council in 1952, about 200 attended.

At the meeting, the death of Queen Elizabeth will be announced by the Lord President of the Privy Council (currently Penny Mordaunt MP), and a proclamation will be read aloud.

This proclamation is then signed by a number of senior figures including the prime minister, the Archbishop of Canterbury, and the Lord Chancellor.

The King attends a second meeting of the Accession Council, along with the Privy Council. This is not a "swearing in" at the start of a British monarch's reign, in the style of some other heads of state, such as the President of the US. Instead there is a declaration made by the new King and - in line with a tradition dating from the early 18th Century - he will make an oath to preserve the Church of Scotland.

After a fanfare of trumpeters, a public proclamation will be made declaring Charles as the new King. This will be made from a balcony above Friary Court in St James's Palace, by an official known as the Garter King of Arms.

He will call: "God save the King", and for the first time since 1952, the national anthem will be played with the words "God Save the King".

Gun salutes will be fired in Hyde Park, the Tower of London and from naval ships, and the proclamation announcing Charles as the King will be read in in Edinburgh, Cardiff and Belfast.

Then next year......The coronation

The symbolic high point of the accession will be the coronation, when Charles is formally crowned. Because of the preparation needed, the coronation is not likely to happen very soon after Charles's accession.

For the past 900 years the coronation has been held in Westminster Abbey - William the Conqueror was the first monarch to be crowned there, and Charles will be the 40th. His gold crown will weigh a hefty 2.23kg - almost 5lbs.

thank you that was very informative

Posted by: hickorywind ()
Date: September 9, 2022 13:22

A very sad day indeed. Queen Elizabeth rest in peace.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: September 9, 2022 13:25

May Mrs. Windsor rest in peace and the monarchy, too

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: September 9, 2022 16:34

Can't seem to find the Eric Clapton link?

Anyway the show went ahead last nite in the US, in Columbus, Ohio.

On the day on which the U.K.'s longest reigning monarch passed away ending a 70 year era of British history, Eric opened the show by playing "God Save The Queen" alone in tribute to Queen Elizabeth II. At the start of the acousitic set, prior to "Driftin," Eric also spoke about his memories of the Queen as a young lad.

The show contained a few big suprises "Tearing Us Apart" as the opening song with the full band, a funky "After Midnight" in the acoustic set and "The Sky Is Crying" which has not been a part of the set list since the January 1984 tour.

Eric’s band was Doyle Bramhall II, Paul Carrack, Nathan East, Sonny Emory and Chris Stainton with Sharon White on backing vocals. All shows have Jimmie Vaughan as special guest.

The complete opening night set list was:

01. God Save The Queen
02. Tearing Us Apart
03. Key To The Highway
04. River Of Tears
05. Hoochie Coochie Man
06. I Shot The Sheriff
07. Driftin'
08. After Midnight
09. Nobody Knows You When You're Down And out
10. Layla
11. Tears In Heaven
12. Badge
12. Wonderful Tonight
14. Crossroads
15. The Sky Is Crying
16. Cocaine
17. Before You Accuse Me - with Jimmie Vaughan (Encore)

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: September 9, 2022 16:54

ukcal
Can't seem to find the Eric Clapton link?

Anyway the show went ahead last nite in the US, in Columbus, Ohio.

On the day on which the U.K.'s longest reigning monarch passed away ending a 70 year era of British history, Eric opened the show by playing "God Save The Queen" alone in tribute to Queen Elizabeth II. At the start of the acousitic set, prior to "Driftin," Eric also spoke about his memories of the Queen as a young lad.

The show contained a few big suprises "Tearing Us Apart" as the opening song with the full band, a funky "After Midnight" in the acoustic set and "The Sky Is Crying" which has not been a part of the set list since the January 1984 tour.

Eric’s band was Doyle Bramhall II, Paul Carrack, Nathan East, Sonny Emory and Chris Stainton with Sharon White on backing vocals. All shows have Jimmie Vaughan as special guest.

The complete opening night set list was:

01. God Save The Queen

should it not be 'God Save The King'?

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1762
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home