Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 11 of 13
Re: What’s next from the vault?
Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: April 29, 2023 19:59

hockenheim95
Christiaan
Christiaan
From Nico Zentgraf page

[www.nzentgraf.de]

27th May: Amsterdam, Netherlands, Paradiso

Not Fade Away/
It’s All Over Now [re-started]/
Live With Me/
Let It Bleed/
Beast Of Burden/
Angie/
Wild Horses/
Sweet Virginia/
Dead Flowers/

Still A Fool/
Down In The Bottom/
Shine A Light/Like A Rolling Stone/
Jump On Top Of Me
/

Connection/
Band introduction/
Before They Make Me Run/
Slipping Away/
Monkey Man/

I Can’t Get Next To You/

All Down The Line/
Street Fighting Man/
Rip This Joint/
Respectable

Note: With special guest Don Was (org) on Shine A Light.
Shown simultaneously on a big video screen at Museumplein, Amsterdam.
A private video of the whole show exists (filmed from the screen outside).
Soundboard recording was made by Ed Cherney with the Eurosound
Mobile Truck. Also the whole show was professionally filmed.

Jump On Top Of Me live debut.
SAF /
DITB /
SAL /
LARS /
ICGNTY
All played or very rarely or for the second time ever

Looking back on this, it seems a little odd that there was a band introduction in between songs of Keit. It must been a typing mistake on Nico’s page probably. I’ll look what Rocks Off wrote about this one. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Mick was on stage for Connection for Paradiso 1 so I assume he was on stage for Paradiso 2 too. band Introductions were after Connection for Paradiso 1 on official Version and on Bootlegs. I think it's the Same for the second Show.

Thank you. I was at the Museum Square. But I have to admit, I can’t remember clearly. I can listen it back on the bootleg. Hadden’t done it yet. I will do it later smoking smiley

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: April 29, 2023 23:20

In my opinion, they should start a new trend. Something like ‘best of the rest’ and release records compiled using multiple sources and fill the gaps.
I’m thinking of something like a boxed-set presenting songs from NYC 75 (Santana + Clapton), leftovers of ‘Love You Live’, the highlights of Knebworth and so on…

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: May 1, 2023 16:58

How bout Horse Shoe Tavern Toronto 97

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 1, 2023 21:35

At the rate we're going the next vault release will be the new album!!!

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: May 2, 2023 05:40

smoking smiley

Posted by: Reagan ()
Date: May 4, 2023 16:58

Would love another show (Philly maybe) from the 72 tour.

And a show from the 70 tour. But I really doubt there’s a professional recording of one of those.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 4, 2023 17:25

All this is of course very good but I wish they had been more generous with vault releases in the 80s and 90s before streaming killed the CD/DVD (LP/VHS) format.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 4, 2023 22:53

Reagan

And a show from the 70 tour. But I really doubt there’s a professional recording of one of those.

Acc. to Glyn Johns in hos book all 3 Paris gigs were taped with the Mobile studio but faulty gear made the recordings unsusable.
Alright but sheer logic might say they fied the Mobile in England and shipped it back to Germany to tape the last gigs of the tour to keep a souvenir of that 70 trek.

Posted by: Reagan ()
Date: May 5, 2023 01:02

dcba

Acc. to Glyn Johns in hos book all 3 Paris gigs were taped with the Mobile studio but faulty gear made the recordings unsusable.
Alright but sheer logic might say they fied the Mobile in England and shipped it back to Germany to tape the last gigs of the tour to keep a souvenir of that 70 trek.

I've read that book, and I completely forgot about that!

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: May 5, 2023 03:58

dcba
Reagan

3 consecutive shows taped and only discovered afterwards that the gear was "faulty" with no listening sessions or at least quick checks inbetween the shows to discover and fix whatever was wrong?

I find that highly unlikely. There's a circulating soundboard from Paris that sounds suspiciously like a rough mix, probably on cassette tape, done "on the fly" for the band or one of the band members, that despite it's "rough mix" nature does not reveal any notable faults from the recording gear. So at least one of the Paris shows should be usable.

And, according to a photo of the vault shown in the recent 1970 tour thread, the multitracks of at least one Paris show still exist in their vaults. Plus another one, likely from Frankfurt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-05 04:01 by retired_dog.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: May 5, 2023 08:28

retired_dog
dcba
Reagan

3 consecutive shows taped and only discovered afterwards that the gear was "faulty" with no listening sessions or at least quick checks inbetween the shows to discover and fix whatever was wrong?

I find that highly unlikely. There's a circulating soundboard from Paris that sounds suspiciously like a rough mix, probably on cassette tape, done "on the fly" for the band or one of the band members, that despite it's "rough mix" nature does not reveal any notable faults from the recording gear. So at least one of the Paris shows should be usable.

And, according to a photo of the vault shown in the recent 1970 tour thread, the multitracks of at least one Paris show still exist in their vaults. Plus another one, likely from Frankfurt.

Posted by: Paul Kersey ()
Date: May 5, 2023 11:22

retired_dog
dcba
Reagan

Collecting dust angry smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 5, 2023 16:12

Paul Kersey

Collecting dust

Either Jagger thinks very little of the band’s legacy i.e. he manages it while he’s alive while being fully aware the band will fade into oblivion once they’re dead. Maybe he thinks rock and roll is a funny dumb thing to do but it’s pretty much disposable mass entertainment.

OR... Jagger wants to band’s fame to be preserved after he’s gone so he keeps these unreleased material - live and studio - as some sort of dry powder to keep the band’s legacy after the band is no more.

In that respect waiting 50 60 or 70 years before releasing new works is not that uncommon in the realm of litterature for instance.
Do you think Jagger’s vista goes that far... I wouldn’t under-estimate him.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: May 5, 2023 20:03

dcba
Paul Kersey

Collecting dust

Either Jagger thinks very little of the band’s legacy i.e. he manages it while he’s alive while being fully aware the band will fade into oblivion once they’re dead. Maybe he thinks rock and roll is a funny dumb thing to do but it’s pretty much disposable mass entertainment.

OR... Jagger wants to band’s fame to be preserved after he’s gone so he keeps these unreleased material - live and studio - as some sort of dry powder to keep the band’s legacy after the band is no more.

In that respect waiting 50 60 or 70 years before releasing new works is not that uncommon in the realm of litterature for instance.
Do you think Jagger’s vista goes that far... I wouldn’t under-estimate him.

Jagger? Yes, definitely don't under-estimate him, in general and in particular in the case of unreleased material. I've often wondered why the Stones did not start vault releases earlier or why comparatively only a small handful from their glory first two decades has appeared until now while at the same time other bands throw out everything they are able to unearth in an almost desperate attempt to squeeze as much money from their past while it still seems to be lucrative enough.

First, as long as they're an active touring band, the Stones do not actually need the -comparatively- little extra income vault releases generate. They gave us something over the years, but definitely not exhaustive like Springsteen, Deep Purple or who else. Doesn't mean that Jagger is "not interested in the band's (recorded) legacy" (as some here regularily suspect). Far from it. It's a known fact that he supervised the digital transfer of the band's vast analog tape archive and its cataloging (see "Being Mick" for example). Plus, he is a clever businessman. All in all I find it more likely that he is intentionally holding back material from their first two decades for a time when the band is not actively touring anymore and when the Rolling Stones brand as a whole (back catalog, merchandise etc.) needs some stimulation from a "hot" release every now and then, just like El Mocambo did last year, regardless if any given release would generate any substantial income or not. What counts is not the profit of a certain release, but the "general picture", so these are strictly strategic decisions and have unfortunately nothing to do with fans' wishes to "finally get a proper 1972 tour release" or "Wembley 1973" and the like.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-05 20:04 by retired_dog.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: May 6, 2023 11:56

What the band is likely acutely aware of is that their ability to monetise these legacy shows reduces with each passing year as the original generation of fans passes away.

They may have already judged that the business case for investing money in old live shows is weak. Or, that resource should only be applied to shows that require little or no technical intervention to make them fit for purpose. That we have mainly seen recent PPV shows, the latter option looks like the policy they’re following.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: May 6, 2023 12:52

I would like to have Memphis '78. It has probably one of the best takes of TD. Although, the Fort Worth ('78) show that was released had (IMO) terrible sound compared with the best boots. So who knows... even if Memphis gets released it might not be much of an upgrade. Maybe the coolest way to release old shows is to find concerts that has not yet surfaced on bootlegs. In that cace it would be lesser complains about what it could have been, and more appreciation for actuall "new stuff" How about a show like St. Louis or Minneapolis '72???

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 8, 2023 01:11

How about something? This will be the first time in many years we have no known vault product on the horizon, no tour, no known album release date. They almost give us something for the summer. In 2010 it was Exile super duper with Plundered My Soul on the radio. We've gotten something, anything, pretty much since. They haven't 'gone dark' in a long time.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: May 8, 2023 09:50

24FPS
How about something? This will be the first time in many years we have no known vault product on the horizon, no tour, no known album release date. They almost give us something for the summer. In 2010 it was Exile super duper with Plundered My Soul on the radio. We've gotten something, anything, pretty much since. They haven't 'gone dark' in a long time.
true that
but wasn't the first one we got the extended YaYa's?

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: May 8, 2023 11:42

Whale
24FPS
true that

That was from ABKCO, not from Promotone B.V. / Eagele Rock Entertainment / Universal.

Date: May 8, 2023 12:53

24FPS

Is less than a year since we got El Mocambo. Patience, please smiling smiley

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: May 8, 2023 12:54

UrbanSteel
Whale
24FPS
true that

That was from ABKCO, not from Promotone B.V. / Eagele Rock Entertainment / Universal.
and the 6 concert downloads? did they not also precede the exile bonus disc?

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: May 8, 2023 13:00

24FPS
If you read carefully that promo statement from 2018 about their deal with Universal:
The Stones have held a record deal with Universal since 2008, prior to which the British band’s albums came out on Virgin Records, which was owned by EMI. (UMG eventually acquired EMI Music in 2012 for $1.9bn.)

Under the new agreement, UMG extends its position as the home for a significant chunk of The Rolling Stones’ catalogue – from Sticky Fingers (1971) through to the band’s latest studio album, the Grammy award-winning Blue & Lonesome (2016).

Classic albums which pre-date Sticky Fingers, such as Let It Bleed (1969) and Beggars Banquet (1968), remain owned by ABKCO Music and sit outside the new UMG deal.

From Sticky Fingers onwards, the Stones’ catalogue is owned by Promotone BV – the band’s own company – which in turn licenses the music to Universal.

And below that:
As part of the agreement, Eagle Rock will also re-issue several classic concert films from their archives including: Atlanta (1989) (actually, Atlantic City); Steel Wheels (1989-90); Voodoo Lounge (1994); Bridges to Babylon (1997-1998); Four Flicks (2002) and Bigger Bang (2005-2006).

I have a feeling that they either out of that contract by now (judging low profile they kept for the latest releases, just like for Rarities in 2005) and are looking for the revision/extension of the deal or trying to put the 'new' album on the market by the end of the year.

In any case, there is a good marker for their activities - Universal Music Japan. That site had no announcements since March 10, 2023. And before that there were no announcements between August and November 2022. That kind of limbo is not a sign of healthy activities with the band.

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: May 8, 2023 13:17

Has the 'From the Vault' series (un)officially ended? The last entry was San José 99 if i'm not mistaken.

It was (at least for me) very unclear what it exactly entailed. At first the releases were pretty much concentrated on 30-40 year old shows. which made me assume that the label was exclusively for older shows, but then they started to release shows from 1999, 2005 and even 2015. Sticky Fingers Live at the Fonda was recorded just 2 years before the release.. Those tapes never reached any vault smiling smiley

And then all of a sudden they started releasing older shows without the 'FtV' label. Vooodoo Lounge uncut, Steel Wheels Live.. And we never really got any < 1990 show again sad smiley. El Mocambo excepted. But that was audio only of course...

Date: May 8, 2023 13:37

ribbelchips
Has the 'From the Vault' series (un)officially ended? The last entry was San José 99 if i'm not mistaken.

It was (at least for me) very unclear what it exactly entailed. At first the releases were pretty much concentrated on 30-40 year old shows. which made me assume that the label was exclusively for older shows, but then they started to release shows from 1999, 2005 and even 2015. Sticky Fingers Live at the Fonda was recorded just 2 years before the release.. Those tapes never reached any vault smiling smiley

And then all of a sudden they started releasing older shows without the 'FtV' label. Vooodoo Lounge uncut, Steel Wheels Live.. And we never really got any < 1990 show again sad smiley. El Mocambo excepted. But that was audio only of course...

That show was not in the «From The Vault»-series, was it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-08 13:38 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: May 8, 2023 14:46

I guess you're right. I always thought the artwork on the thumbnail was in the 'From the Vault' style (and it sure looks a lot like it) but it's not mentioned anywhere on the cover.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: May 8, 2023 15:22

ironbelly
As part of the agreement, Eagle Rock will also re-issue several classic concert films from their archives including: Atlanta (1989) (actually, Atlantic City); Steel Wheels (1989-90); Voodoo Lounge (1994); Bridges to Babylon (1997-1998); Four Flicks (2002) and Bigger Bang (2005-2006).

Have they? Wasn't the Bridges show expected to be St. Louis? Was it instead the Bremen show?

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: May 8, 2023 16:52

Now that they've relased so many shows from the last three decades, I'd vote for tour footage unseen before, such as the tours in 1969 (no Gimme Shelter movie restoration), 1970, 1973, 1976. Those were the days when the Stones was a true rockband ...

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: May 8, 2023 17:15

"What's next from the vault?" That's what I was asking myself at the coronation when the King was invested with all kinds of regalia.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 8, 2023 19:33

How many more PPV's have yet to be released? That's really more of what's indicative to come still, I would think. Not much work involved in getting those ready to officially release. Also, we just got Grrr Live in February so we've had a new release this year already.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: May 8, 2023 19:53

kovach
ironbelly

Have they? Wasn't the Bridges show expected to be St. Louis? Was it instead the Bremen show?
I do not remember that St. Louis was specifically mentioned in 2018. It was suggested over here that they will issue an uncut version of that concert like they did to Miami 1994. In any case, I can live w/o St. Louis and with Bremen instead. Unless, you are missing Dave Matthews winking smiley.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-08 20:17 by ironbelly.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 11 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1507
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home