Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 13
Re: What’s next from the vault?
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: October 12, 2022 12:42

Would like a pro recording of the best Hawaii 1973 show, and the Nicaraguan Benefit concert. But it doesn’t seem they exist

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: October 12, 2022 12:47

Meise
It might be true that all shows since Steel Wheels have been professionally recorded. There might have been brilliant shows since then, some of which were already released officially.
But there are so many raw diamonds from the 1960s throughout the 1980s in the vaults - these are the shows I'm really interested in watching. There is no official release from 1970, 1973, neither from 1976, or did I miss it?
Let's go for the good ol´times when Bill Wyman was still rolling ... Did any of you ever listen to Bill's bass plaxing on El Mocambo or Hamption 1981? THAT's the Rolling Stones ...

Brussels Affair 1973

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: October 12, 2022 14:08

Taylor1
Would like a pro recording of the best Hawaii 1973 show, and the Nicaraguan Benefit concert. But it doesn’t seem they exist

The Nicaraguan benefit concert does exist as audio recording. I own that CD. Compared to the major tours 1972/73, it's a rather poor performance. In particular, Sweet Virginia is terible ...

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: October 12, 2022 15:19

Meise
London 2012 was a mess. Boring and lousy playing. Hope they will never release it!

Clearly you were not there. Boring?!! Take a look at the setlists!

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: October 12, 2022 20:17

Mathijs
ProfessorWolf
Mathijs
ProfessorWolf
Taylor1
It’s hard to believe they only recorded the Texas shows and I guess thePhiladelphia showsfrom the1972tour.That tour was the biggest entertainment event of that summer.

i guess we could hope that they at least recorded the rest like pittsburgh and msg

by the way does anyone know if they kept the first generation tape of that show and the other shows they taped like that?

are they in there archive?

Professionally recorded were Philly, Fort Worth, Houston, Pittsburgh and all New York shows.

Mathijs

philly, fort worth, and houston sure

but aren't the others just recorded onto cassette right off the mixing desk?

or do you mean that in addition to those circulating recordings there are unreleased multi-track recordings of these shows?

Pro recorded with the Record Plant Mobile. Washington has always been rumored to be recorded and filmed but I never seen proof.

Mathijs

so new york and pittsburgh are sourced from a multi-track

amazing!

the 72 stuff in there vaults just keeps getting more interestingsmiling smiley

by the way do you mean washington dc or washington state?

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: October 12, 2022 21:48

ProfessorWolf
Mathijs
ProfessorWolf
Mathijs
ProfessorWolf
Taylor1
It’s hard to believe they only recorded the Texas shows and I guess thePhiladelphia showsfrom the1972tour.That tour was the biggest entertainment event of that summer.

i guess we could hope that they at least recorded the rest like pittsburgh and msg

by the way does anyone know if they kept the first generation tape of that show and the other shows they taped like that?

are they in there archive?

Professionally recorded were Philly, Fort Worth, Houston, Pittsburgh and all New York shows.

Mathijs

philly, fort worth, and houston sure

but aren't the others just recorded onto cassette right off the mixing desk?

or do you mean that in addition to those circulating recordings there are unreleased multi-track recordings of these shows?

Pro recorded with the Record Plant Mobile. Washington has always been rumored to be recorded and filmed but I never seen proof.

Mathijs

so new york and pittsburgh are sourced from a multi-track

amazing!

the 72 stuff in there vaults just keeps getting more interestingsmiling smiley

by the way do you mean washington dc or washington state?

Let's get The Big 50th Anniversary Touring Party Box set!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-12 21:49 by GetYerAngie.

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: October 13, 2022 00:08

VoodooLounge13
Is Professional Grade not basically the same thing? To me if it’s professional grade then it’s good enough to be official and the sound should be impeccable.

No, it just means that it's not a so called home made cd-r, or dvd-r, but a professional made cd-r, like a silver disc, but it has nothing to do with the quality of the source and sound. So it can be an awfull audience recording recorded outside the stadium with a freeway between.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: October 13, 2022 07:36

GJV
VoodooLounge13
Is Professional Grade not basically the same thing? To me if it’s professional grade then it’s good enough to be official and the sound should be impeccable.

No, it just means that it's not a so called home made cd-r, or dvd-r, but a professional made cd-r, like a silver disc, but it has nothing to do with the quality of the source and sound. So it can be an awfull audience recording recorded outside the stadium with a freeway between.

Oh I see. I figured that with the price it was probably a decent recording. The prices vary a lot from one boot to the next and I figured it all related to the quality of the recording.

Date: October 13, 2022 08:29

UrbanSteel
Meise
It might be true that all shows since Steel Wheels have been professionally recorded. There might have been brilliant shows since then, some of which were already released officially.
But there are so many raw diamonds from the 1960s throughout the 1980s in the vaults - these are the shows I'm really interested in watching. There is no official release from 1970, 1973, neither from 1976, or did I miss it?
Let's go for the good ol´times when Bill Wyman was still rolling ... Did any of you ever listen to Bill's bass plaxing on El Mocambo or Hamption 1981? THAT's the Rolling Stones ...

Brussels Affair 1973

I meant the release of DVDs/BRs ...

Date: October 13, 2022 08:31

Captain Teague
Meise
London 2012 was a mess. Boring and lousy playing. Hope they will never release it!

True, I wasn't there. But all the videos I watched on DVD/BR or at YT didn't give the impression of good concerts as the Stones were rather lame and played ... partly lousy.

Date: October 13, 2022 12:04

Meise
Captain Teague
Meise

True, I wasn't there. But all the videos I watched on DVD/BR or at YT didn't give the impression of good concerts as the Stones were rather lame and played ... partly lousy.

Not true. Great playing, great setlist.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: October 13, 2022 12:50

DandelionPowderman
Meise
Captain Teague
Meise

I think the IEM recordings that circulate of those London shows can give the impression that these shows sounded rusty and boring. But that's the case for all IEM recordings at least to me. In the end it's all a matter of taste...I was in London for both shows and I thought they sounded fantastic.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 13, 2022 13:02

UrbanSteel
Meise

Brussels Affair 1973
Booming like a cannon . This is a top of the summit performance for sure !

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 13, 2022 13:03

DandelionPowderman
Meise
Captain Teague
Meise

+ 1

Date: October 13, 2022 14:06

hockenheim95
DandelionPowderman
Meise
Captain Teague
Meise

I think the IEM recordings that circulate of those London shows can give the impression that these shows sounded rusty and boring. But that's the case for all IEM recordings at least to me. In the end it's all a matter of taste...I was in London for both shows and I thought they sounded fantastic.

I avoid IEM-recordings like the plague. Especially Micks smiling smiley Low on guitars, lots of Chuck and bass.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-13 14:09 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 13, 2022 14:15

The guitars are too low on almost all of the "Vaults" releases of shows from VL onwards.

It's almost as though whoever is mixing them has no knowledge whatsoever of what the Rolling Stones are all about...

" ...Lets mix down those nasty, 'orrible guitar noises and it'll sound nicer "

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 13, 2022 14:28

Meise
Taylor1

The Nicaraguan benefit concert does exist as audio recording. I own that CD. Compared to the major tours 1972/73, it's a rather poor performance. In particular, Sweet Virginia is terrible ...

That night they sounded exactly like they were as a band in early 73 : rusted and under-rehearsed.
Of course I'm happy to have a more than decent aud tape of that night.

Otherwise image the lengthy 300-pages threads here with "dream gig" "look at the setlist!!" "Mick release this one!" comments.

Date: October 13, 2022 15:25

dcba
Meise
Taylor1

The Nicaraguan benefit concert does exist as audio recording. I own that CD. Compared to the major tours 1972/73, it's a rather poor performance. In particular, Sweet Virginia is terrible ...

That night they sounded exactly like they were as a band in early 73 : rusted and under-rehearsed.
Of course I'm happy to have a more than decent aud tape of that night.

Otherwise image the lengthy 300-pages threads here with "dream gig" "look at the setlist!!" "Mick release this one!" comments.
I like the laid back vibe to the LA benefit and the Hawaii shows

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 13, 2022 16:53

"I like the laid back vibe to the LA benefit"

In all honesty MT shines during that gig but the band struggles (by 72-73 standards). Maybe that night he discovered they were a bunch of dead weights and he'd better play with other (more talented?) people? grinning smiley

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: October 13, 2022 21:34

The big question is: what are we getting for christmas in the year of the 60th anniversary -a pair of new socks????

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 14, 2022 00:48

S.T.P
The big question is: what are we getting for christmas in the year of the 60th anniversary -a pair of new socks????

There hasn't been a word about getting anything this year for the usual Stones Christmas package. El Mocambo might be it. (And believe me I'm grateful).

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 14, 2022 02:23

dcba

In all honesty MT shines during that gig but the band struggles (by 72-73 standards). Maybe that night he discovered they were a bunch of dead weights and he'd better play with other (more talented?) people? grinning smiley

...only to discover that more complex music may be artistically satisfying, but doesn't necessarily fill your stomach... Sure, with people like Carla Bley you don't have to explain what a "D Dim 7" chord is, but the resulting music didn't create much stir!

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 14, 2022 02:29

24FPS
S.T.P

There hasn't been a word about getting anything this year for the usual Stones Christmas package. El Mocambo might be it. (And believe me I'm grateful).

A while ago I posted that I heard they were talking with ABKCO, but so far the remastered and cleaned-up 60's promo videos on YouTube seem to be the only "joint venture" outcome.

But the 60th anniversary year is not over yet, so there's still hope...

Date: October 14, 2022 03:17

retired_dog
dcba

...only to discover that more complex music may be artistically satisfying, but doesn't necessarily fill your stomach... Sure, with people like Carla Bley you don't have to explain what a "D Dim 7" chord is, but the resulting music didn't create much stir!
He didn’t quit because of that but due to drug problems and probably most importantly lack of song writing credits. If he had he gotten credit for co- writing Till the Next Goodbye and Time Waits For No One, he probably would not have quit

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-14 03:18 by Taylor1.

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: October 14, 2022 23:57

rogerriffin from Rocks Off (Foro Stones En Español version) say that Wiltern will be released on BluRay in
December 2022
[rocksoff.org]

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: October 15, 2022 00:06

AntoineParis predicts a release of Newark 2012 and rogerriffin a release of Wiltern 02. I hope for the second one but it could also bei possible that they'll release both. Let's see who's right

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: October 15, 2022 00:07

S.T.P

perhaps the stones will start selling tounge shaped coalgrinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-15 00:08 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: October 15, 2022 00:25

Ricky
rogerriffin from Rocks Off (Foro Stones En Español version) say that Wiltern will be released on BluRay in
December 2022
[rocksoff.org]

rogerriffin is a reliable source...

Posted by: artinis1 ()
Date: October 20, 2022 01:53

It’s getting late, probably nothing before the end of this year right?

Posted by: ElectricBoogaloo ()
Date: October 20, 2022 07:08

I would gladly take a Blu Ray release of Wiltern in its entirety. What a smokin' show.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1242
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home