Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 13
Re: What’s next from the vault?
Posted by: kevinkamphuis ()
Date: October 5, 2022 01:56

Yes the Philly shows are also recorded on 16 track multitrack. Some Mick Taylor super deluxe tour boxset with liveshows from 1969-1973 would be awesome. Amazing if you thought about it!

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: October 5, 2022 03:55

Taylor1
It’s hard to believe they only recorded the Texas shows and I guess thePhiladelphia showsfrom the1972tour.That tour was the biggest entertainment event of that summer.

i guess we could hope that they at least recorded the rest like pittsburgh and msg

by the way does anyone know if they kept the first generation tape of that show and the other shows they taped like that?

are they in there archive?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-05 04:41 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 5, 2022 04:57

ProfessorWolf
Taylor1
It’s hard to believe they only recorded the Texas shows and I guess thePhiladelphia showsfrom the1972tour.That tour was the biggest entertainment event of that summer.

i guess we could hope that they at least recorded the rest like pittsburgh

by the way does anyone know if they kept the first generation tape of that show and the other shows they taped like that?

"Recording shows" and "professionally recording shows on multitrack" are two different things.

Back then, the former was usually nothing more than recording a show straight from the mixing desk on cassette or reel-to-reel tape for easy playback by band members afterwards in hotel rooms or at home after the tour. Talk is that recordings like this were done aplenty for band members, some got lost or stolen (Welcome To New York '72, Passaic '78, Winter Tour '73 and the Pittsburgh show you mentioned). If any of these cheap private mixing desk tapes were ever archived by the band or at least still exist in private collections of band members is unknown.

Professional multitracks are a different thing altogether. However, even here you won't find a confirmed complete list of anything that's in their archives anywhere.

Date: October 5, 2022 12:59

retired_dog
ProfessorWolf
Taylor1

"Recording shows" and "professionally recording shows on multitrack" are two different things.

Back then, the former was usually nothing more than recording a show straight from the mixing desk on cassette or reel-to-reel tape for easy playback by band members afterwards in hotel rooms or at home after the tour. Talk is that recordings like this were done aplenty for band members, some got lost or stolen (Welcome To New York '72, Passaic '78, Winter Tour '73 and the Pittsburgh show you mentioned). If any of these cheap private mixing desk tapes were ever archived by the band or at least still exist in private collections of band members is unknown.

Professional multitracks are a different thing altogether. However, even here you won't find a confirmed complete list of anything that's in their archives anywhere.

thank you

did/does mick view these as disposable and not worth his attention or the cost of archival preservation do you think?

imperfect as these tapes are i personally would pay for a official release of any show from 1972 professional multitrack or not

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 5, 2022 21:30

retired_dog
ProfessorWolf
Taylor1

Oh come on. You know if Bill ever had any they're catalogued in chronological order and digitally transferred for posterity.

Date: October 6, 2022 10:34

ProfessorWolf
retired_dog
ProfessorWolf
Taylor1

thank you

did/does mick view these as disposable and not worth his attention or the cost of archival preservation do you think?

imperfect as these tapes are i personally would pay for a official release of any show from 1972 professional multitrack or not

Well, these cheap cassette or reel-to-reel soundboard dubs were never meant for commercial use, just for private listening. As such, I guess the band never cared too much about them. These may be holy grail items for us fans, but nothing more than quick jobs for the band - listen to those tapes once or twice aftershow at night in the hotel room or at home after the tour. I would not say that none of these were ever properly archived (cost would be next to nothing), but I think it's also fair to say that in many (most?) cases they were treated with little to no care - lost, ending up in dustbins, stolen, handed out to hanger-ons or drugdealers... there are numerous stories about how certain soundboards came into circulation!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-06 10:38 by retired_dog.

Date: October 6, 2022 10:37

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-06 10:37 by retired_dog.

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: October 10, 2022 22:14

smoking smiley

Date: October 11, 2022 01:29

retired_dog
ProfessorWolf
retired_dog
ProfessorWolf
Taylor1

thank you

Well, these cheap cassette or reel-to-reel soundboard dubs were never meant for commercial use, just for private listening. As such, I guess the band never cared too much about them. These may be holy grail items for us fans, but nothing more than quick jobs for the band - listen to those tapes once or twice aftershow at night in the hotel room or at home after the tour. I would not say that none of these were ever properly archived (cost would be next to nothing), but I think it's also fair to say that in many (most?) cases they were treated with little to no care - lost, ending up in dustbins, stolen, handed out to hanger-ons or drugdealers... there are numerous stories about how certain soundboards came into circulation!

thank you

i've always been curious about what the deal was with these recordings

your answer was very informative

i wonder how many of these are still in private hands outside of the band

have any ever come up for auction?

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: October 11, 2022 15:31

which only PPV never come out officialy ? winking smiley

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: October 11, 2022 15:35

AntoineParis
which only PPV never come out officialy ? winking smiley

Saitama 2006 and London Newark 2012!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-11 16:07 by hockenheim95.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 11, 2022 15:56

ProfessorWolf
Taylor1

i guess we could hope that they at least recorded the rest like pittsburgh and msg

Professionally recorded were Philly, Fort Worth, Houston, Pittsburgh and all New York shows.

Mathijs

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: October 11, 2022 16:05

London 2012 was a mess. Boring and lousy playing. Hope they will never release it!

Date: October 11, 2022 16:07

The PPV of course was Newark, not London :-)

Date: October 11, 2022 16:13

Meise
London 2012 was a mess. Boring and lousy playing. Hope they will never release it!

Not the show I catched. It was fantastic.

Date: October 11, 2022 16:16

hockenheim95

Exactly winking smiley

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: October 11, 2022 16:37

I would really love for Miami 2019 to get an official release. There's a pro-shot boot available, so the content is there. If and when they do release another album, I think this would be a fitting inclusion for a Ward Super Deluxe release of it, with the CD/BluRay of Charlie's last show as a fitting homage to the man.

Date: October 11, 2022 17:09

VoodooLounge13
I would really love for Miami 2019 to get an official release. There's a pro-shot boot available, so the content is there. If and when they do release another album, I think this would be a fitting inclusion for a Ward Super Deluxe release of it, with the CD/BluRay of Charlie's last show as a fitting homage to the man.

a pro shot boot?
I don't think so

Date: October 11, 2022 17:39

AntoineParis
VoodooLounge13

a pro shot boot?
I don't think so

Well it's labelled as Pro on the website - I'm not a huge Boot person, so does that mean something else? For the price they're charging, I'm guessing the quality is pretty damn good.

Date: October 11, 2022 17:52

AntoineParis
hockenheim95

Exactly winking smiley

It's nice to have it official but I don't think they'll improve anything as we already have it in full HD and the last re-releases have rather been a downgrade soundwise. I hope for some bonus tracks from the other shows.

Date: October 11, 2022 20:15

VoodooLounge13
AntoineParis
VoodooLounge13

a pro shot boot?
I don't think so

Well it's labelled as Pro on the website - I'm not a huge Boot person, so does that mean something else? For the price they're charging, I'm guessing the quality is pretty damn good.

huh!?eye popping smileyconfused smiley

a pro shot miami 2019?

could you share a link?

Date: October 11, 2022 20:24

Mathijs
ProfessorWolf
Taylor1

Professionally recorded were Philly, Fort Worth, Houston, Pittsburgh and all New York shows.

Mathijs

philly, fort worth, and houston sure

but aren't the others just recorded onto cassette right off the mixing desk?

or do you mean that in addition to those circulating recordings there are unreleased multi-track recordings of these shows?

Date: October 11, 2022 21:18

ProfessorWolf
VoodooLounge13
AntoineParis
VoodooLounge13

a pro shot boot?
I don't think so

a pro shot miami 2019?

could you share a link?

I'd welcome any enlightment as to what I'm looking at, if I'm wrong. Like I said, boots are not my thing.

Miami 2019 Boot

Posted by: ds1984 ()
Date: October 11, 2022 23:48

VoodooLounge13
ProfessorWolf
VoodooLounge13
AntoineParis
VoodooLounge13

a pro shot boot?
I don't think so

a pro shot miami 2019?

could you share a link?

I'd welcome any enlightment as to what I'm looking at, if I'm wrong. Like I said, boots are not my thing.

Miami 2019 Boot
Are you refering about the "2Pro-CDR+1Pro-DVDR"
That doesn't mean pro recording but mostly to "Professional Grade CD-R Media"

Date: October 12, 2022 00:05

Is Professional Grade not basically the same thing? To me if it’s professional grade then it’s good enough to be official and the sound should be impeccable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-12 03:43 by VoodooLounge13.

Date: October 12, 2022 04:08

VoodooLounge13
Is Professional Grade not basically the same thing? To me if it’s professional grade then it’s good enough to be official and the sound should be impeccable.

thanks for sharing the link

i'm really not sure what to think but his suggestion of it being related to the quality of the physical media might be it

does any more knowledgeable person on here maybe have a clue?

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: October 12, 2022 09:06

It might be true that all shows since Steel Wheels have been professionally recorded. There might have been brilliant shows since then, some of which were already released officially.
But there are so many raw diamonds from the 1960s throughout the 1980s in the vaults - these are the shows I'm really interested in watching. There is no official release from 1970, 1973, neither from 1976, or did I miss it?
Let's go for the good ol´times when Bill Wyman was still rolling ... Did any of you ever listen to Bill's bass plaxing on El Mocambo or Hamption 1981? THAT's the Rolling Stones ...

Posted by: Paul Kersey ()
Date: October 12, 2022 10:15

Meise
It might be true that all shows since Steel Wheels have been professionally recorded. There might have been brilliant shows since then, some of which were already released officially.
But there are so many raw diamonds from the 1960s throughout the 1980s in the vaults - these are the shows I'm really interested in watching. There is no official release from 1970, 1973, neither from 1976, or did I miss it?
Let's go for the good ol´times when Bill Wyman was still rolling ... Did any of you ever listen to Bill's bass plaxing on El Mocambo or Hamption 1981? THAT's the Rolling Stones ...

Couldn't have put it better myself thumbs up

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 12, 2022 12:06

ProfessorWolf
Mathijs
ProfessorWolf
Taylor1

Mathijs

philly, fort worth, and houston sure

but aren't the others just recorded onto cassette right off the mixing desk?

or do you mean that in addition to those circulating recordings there are unreleased multi-track recordings of these shows?

Pro recorded with the Record Plant Mobile. Washington has always been rumored to be recorded and filmed but I never seen proof.

Mathijs

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: October 12, 2022 12:16

! WARINING !

I always have to think about this collage one fan once did:

Some people here got really offended, I actually like it. Of course I also dream of a vault publication of this one. But currently I am just waiting for the new record. Bring it on, boys.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2104
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home