Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 13
Re: What’s next from the vault?
Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: September 23, 2022 19:20

hockenheim95
StonedRambler
ProfessorWolf
24FPS
GasLightStreet
StonedRambler
24FPS
ProfessorWolf
24FPS
Harlem Shuffler
The 1999 Shepherd’s Bush Empire gig?

We already have a 1999 No Security DVD. Is Shepherd's Bush Empire a different setlist?

oh hell yeah!

have a look

the setlist

Shattered
It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (but I Like It)
Respectable
All Down THe Line
Some Girls
Melody
I Got The Blues
Brand New Car
Moon Is Up
Saint of Me
Honky Tonk Women (with Sheryl Crow)
Band Introductions
You Got the Silver
Before They Make Me Run
Route 66
You Got Me Rocking
Tumbling Dice
Brown Sugar
Jumpin' Jack Flash (encore)

Not appreciably different. I'm surprised how slowed down Shattered is. When I saw them in Anaheim they came out blazing with JJF.
It's more like the original tempo. I think that's much cooler than many of the rushed versions we have.

The 1994-95 version of Shattered is supreme. Especially 8-14-1994.

Sometimes slower is better. Shattered especially prospered from that.

The last thing Shattered needed was to be slowed down. It's a fast punkish song. When I saw them in 2005 they slowed Get Off of My Cloud almost down to a waltz. I prefer the relentless drive on Got Live If You Want It.

your wrong about shattered but right about get off of my cloud

2005 version is terrible and the version gliywi has never been beat

2005 was actually quite good IMHO. What I thought was really terrible were the speed up 2006 versions when Mick sang "hey! you! getoffamycloud". He sang "getoffamycloud" as if it was one word while the backing vocals sang is normal. It was just really strange.

The Salt Lake City 2005 version has got the same speed as the studio version! I just compared it. Can you tell which version is slow? btw some songs on Pheonix Theatre 2005 are VERY slow. Especially Tumbling Dice. Keith starts very slow and Charlie tries to speed up. Sounds funny.
. I think there IS a confusion with 19th nervous breakdown

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: September 23, 2022 20:59

Big Al
Spud
I think we must accept that sometimes the quality expected of a commercial release just isn't there in the surviving original sources.

On balance, I think I'd usually prefer to see and/or hear what we have than to get something that's been digitally mucked about with under the guise of "restoration". "

It's just that I wonder whether they could've done any more with Ladies & Gentlemen. Whilst I certainly wouldn't have like the producer to tinker too much, I'd have hoped they could at least create something that's listenable. I'll put the release on again soon, but I just don't recall it being very good.

Out of curiosity: what was the source of the scrapped 1972 live album? Could that not be worked on for a 'vault release?'
The problem with L&G in addition to it's crappy sound,is that although some tracks like Happy, Dead Flowers , Love in Vain are great, All Down the Line, JJ Flash, Street Fighting Man, Brown Sugar , Bitch , were done better at other shows on the tour

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: September 23, 2022 21:15

Taylor1
Big Al
Spud
I think we must accept that sometimes the quality expected of a commercial release just isn't there in the surviving original sources.

On balance, I think I'd usually prefer to see and/or hear what we have than to get something that's been digitally mucked about with under the guise of "restoration". "

It's just that I wonder whether they could've done any more with Ladies & Gentlemen. Whilst I certainly wouldn't have like the producer to tinker too much, I'd have hoped they could at least create something that's listenable. I'll put the release on again soon, but I just don't recall it being very good.

Out of curiosity: what was the source of the scrapped 1972 live album? Could that not be worked on for a 'vault release?'
The problem with L&G in addition to it's crappy sound,is that although some tracks like Happy, Dead Flowers , Love in Vain are great, All Down the Line, JJ Flash, Street Fighting Man, Brown Sugar , Bitch , were done better at other shows on the tour

Also right. I always felt like it didn't really showcase the magic that the 1972 tour had. The performance certainly plays a role but the sound as well, also the video who shows mainly close ups of Mick and Keith, not capturing anything of the energy in the room.

At least Some Girls live in Texas '78 fixed all of those things. It's the perfect documentation of the 1978 tour. Maybe they learned from L&G

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-09-23 21:16 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: September 23, 2022 21:16

I wonder if the Dirty Work stuff we all know exists will ever see the light of day.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 23, 2022 21:33

StonedRambler
Taylor1
Big Al
Spud

Also right. I always felt like it didn't really showcase the magic that the 1972 tour had. The performance certainly plays a role but the sound as well, also the video who shows mainly close ups of Mick and Keith, not capturing anything of the energy in the room.

At least Some Girls live in Texas '78 fixed all of those things. It's the perfect documentation of the 1978 tour. Maybe they learned from L&G

I'd say it was a perfect representation of them playing in a small space. I don't think the Stadium gigs were as great. At least not the one I saw in Cleveland, which was the perfect use of the term shambolic. We get L&G because that's what was filmed. Does anyone know any other '72 gigs that were professionally shot?

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: September 24, 2022 00:43

AntoineParis
hockenheim95
StonedRambler
ProfessorWolf
24FPS
GasLightStreet
StonedRambler
24FPS
ProfessorWolf
24FPS
Harlem Shuffler
The 1999 Shepherd’s Bush Empire gig?

We already have a 1999 No Security DVD. Is Shepherd's Bush Empire a different setlist?

oh hell yeah!

have a look

the setlist

Shattered
It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (but I Like It)
Respectable
All Down THe Line
Some Girls
Melody
I Got The Blues
Brand New Car
Moon Is Up
Saint of Me
Honky Tonk Women (with Sheryl Crow)
Band Introductions
You Got the Silver
Before They Make Me Run
Route 66
You Got Me Rocking
Tumbling Dice
Brown Sugar
Jumpin' Jack Flash (encore)

Not appreciably different. I'm surprised how slowed down Shattered is. When I saw them in Anaheim they came out blazing with JJF.
It's more like the original tempo. I think that's much cooler than many of the rushed versions we have.

The 1994-95 version of Shattered is supreme. Especially 8-14-1994.

Sometimes slower is better. Shattered especially prospered from that.

The last thing Shattered needed was to be slowed down. It's a fast punkish song. When I saw them in 2005 they slowed Get Off of My Cloud almost down to a waltz. I prefer the relentless drive on Got Live If You Want It.

your wrong about shattered but right about get off of my cloud

2005 version is terrible and the version gliywi has never been beat

2005 was actually quite good IMHO. What I thought was really terrible were the speed up 2006 versions when Mick sang "hey! you! getoffamycloud". He sang "getoffamycloud" as if it was one word while the backing vocals sang is normal. It was just really strange.

The Salt Lake City 2005 version has got the same speed as the studio version! I just compared it. Can you tell which version is slow? btw some songs on Pheonix Theatre 2005 are VERY slow. Especially Tumbling Dice. Keith starts very slow and Charlie tries to speed up. Sounds funny.
. I think there IS a confusion with 19th nervous breakdown

yep you're right at least in my case i was confusing 19thnb with goomc

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: October 1, 2022 03:53

24FPS
I can't believe it. I just thought of two more releases, I don't think either was filmed, but they were Golden Age, and they were club dates. It wouldn't have been like them not to record them.

1981 - Sir Morgan's Cove. As a setlist its got Everybody Needs Somebody to Love, Mona, the first time they played Let It Bleed, I Just Want To Make Love To You, and She's So Cold, which might have sounded better in a small venue. And of course warhorses. Not a long set, 17 songs, but it would still make a nice little release.

1989 - Toad's Place - an even shorter set. Maybe they could do a twofer. Pretty much warhorses, but they perform Little Red Rooster.

Did they do a European warmup for Urban Jungle?

Can anyone think of any smaller gigs where they did an interesting setlist?

The other Stripped Paradiso show.
The Double Door 1997
Wiltern Theatre 2002
Paris Olympia 2003 from the Four Flicks dvd
Circus Krone 2003.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-01 03:58 by boogaloojef.

Date: October 1, 2022 07:26

boogaloojef
24FPS
I can't believe it. I just thought of two more releases, I don't think either was filmed, but they were Golden Age, and they were club dates. It wouldn't have been like them not to record them.

1981 - Sir Morgan's Cove. As a setlist its got Everybody Needs Somebody to Love, Mona, the first time they played Let It Bleed, I Just Want To Make Love To You, and She's So Cold, which might have sounded better in a small venue. And of course warhorses. Not a long set, 17 songs, but it would still make a nice little release.

1989 - Toad's Place - an even shorter set. Maybe they could do a twofer. Pretty much warhorses, but they perform Little Red Rooster.

The Double Door 1997
Wiltern Theatre 2002
Circus Krone 2003.

Not exactly Golden Age.

Date: October 1, 2022 13:17

24FPS
boogaloojef
24FPS

The Double Door 1997
Wiltern Theatre 2002
Circus Krone 2003.

Not exactly Golden Age.

i don't think you'll get a more unique or interesting set list then that

also echoplex 2013

i must know what love in vain with taylor and ronnie sounded like

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-01 13:21 by ProfessorWolf.

Date: October 1, 2022 22:57

ProfessorWolf
24FPS
boogaloojef
24FPS

The Double Door 1997
Wiltern Theatre 2002
Circus Krone 2003.

Not exactly Golden Age.

also echoplex 2013

That would be fantastic. Who owns/possesses the Crawdaddy tapes? I would imagine ABKCO would claim ownership.

Date: October 2, 2022 00:18

24FPS
ProfessorWolf
24FPS
boogaloojef
24FPS

The Double Door 1997
Wiltern Theatre 2002
Circus Krone 2003.

Not exactly Golden Age.

also echoplex 2013

That would be fantastic. Who owns/possesses the Crawdaddy tapes? I would imagine ABKCO would claim ownership.

i believe mick bought them at auction a couple years ago

i think theres a thread about it

i'll have a look and see if i can find it for you

EDIT

here ya go lots of info in this thread
iorr

also the contract in the case apparently says on loan from matt leeconfused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-02 00:26 by ProfessorWolf.

Date: October 2, 2022 02:50

ProfessorWolf
24FPS
ProfessorWolf
24FPS
boogaloojef
24FPS

The Double Door 1997
Wiltern Theatre 2002
Circus Krone 2003.

Not exactly Golden Age.

also echoplex 2013

i believe mick bought them at auction a couple years ago

i think theres a thread about it

i'll have a look and see if i can find it for you

EDIT

here ya go lots of info in this thread
iorr

also the contract in the case apparently says on loan from matt leeconfused smiley

Thanks

Posted by: NoPanic ()
Date: October 2, 2022 18:25

Now we've seen there are a lot of tapes from 1970 - just release one of those shows ( or 2 or 3 ....)

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 2, 2022 20:50

NoPanic
Now we've seen there are a lot of tapes from 1970 - just release one of those shows ( or 2 or 3 ....)

Where have you seen them?

Date: October 2, 2022 22:19

retired_dog
NoPanic

yes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-02 22:23 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: October 2, 2022 23:22

What dates can we read on the labels?

Top row the three reels on the left are clearly marked as Fort Worth 72 1st show. The fourth is marked as Fort Worth 2nd and has a label on it saying 24/06/72, which is the date of the Fort Worth show.

The second from the right reads like 24/09/70, which would be a show from Paris.

The fourth on the bottom is marked with a pen as "FR AM 1st show PT II". This could be Frankfurt am Main in Germany where they played 2 shows on October 5 and 6, but not two shows on one day. No other city on that tour begins with the letter "F". The fifth from the left looks like 14/01/70, which wouldn't make any sense because tere is no known show on that date. But the box has the letters ROLLING STONES written in the same way as the "Frankfurt" reel. If it's a typo it could also be the 14/09/70 show in Hamburg, but then I can't figure out what "FR AM" means.

The one on the bottom right looks like 25/06/1972 - the Houston show.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-02 23:33 by hockenheim95.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: October 3, 2022 02:08

24FPS
boogaloojef
24FPS

The Double Door 1997
Wiltern Theatre 2002
Circus Krone 2003.

Not exactly Golden Age.

It's doubtful it will be anything which involves Abkco and most likely will be a show with Ronnie and likely of a more recent vintage. There are more shows with Ronnie which have decent video footage so those shows are more likely to be chosen not to mention that Ronnie is still a current member.

Date: October 3, 2022 02:11

hockenheim95

Top row the three reels on the left are clearly marked as Fort Worth 72 1st show. The fourth is marked as Fort Worth 2nd and has a label on it saying 24/06/72, which is the date of the Fort Worth show.

The second from the right reads like 24/09/70, which would be a show from Paris.

The fourth on the bottom is marked with a pen as "FR AM 1st show PT II". This could be Frankfurt am Main in Germany where they played 2 shows on October 5 and 6, but not two shows on one day. No other city on that tour begins with the letter "F". The fifth from the left looks like 14/01/70, which wouldn't make any sense because tere is no known show on that date. But the box has the letters ROLLING STONES written in the same way as the "Frankfurt" reel. If it's a typo it could also be the 14/09/70 show in Hamburg, but then I can't figure out what "FR AM" means.

Where on the reels on the left top shelf do they say Ft Worth?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-03 02:12 by Taylor1.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: October 3, 2022 02:56

Tempe 1981
Paris 1976

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 3, 2022 05:37

They did not perform any warm up gigs for the 1990 Euro tour.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: October 3, 2022 09:36

Taylor1
hockenheim95

Where on the reels on the left top shelf do they say Ft Worth?

It's only one shelf I think. I first thought it would be two but it's just two Pictures of another part of the same shelf. If you look at the "FR AM" reel it's identical on top and bottom. Fort Worth is written with a pen on top of the 3 reels on the left (2 of 4 and 1 of 4 can be read too)

Posted by: jigsaw69 ()
Date: October 3, 2022 16:38

Urban Jungle Tour 1990

An overlooked tour in my opinion with no live releases - yet !!

The gig at Barcelona Olympic Stadium would make a fantastic CD and DVD (with the correct mix obviously by say Mr Clearmountain). Think the original film of the gig (with a few songs sadly removed due to the editors) was broadcast on Sky or similar back in late 1990, and was excellently mixed and edited.

Set list includes Terrifying, Almost Hear You Sigh, Angie, Street Fighting Man, many of which not played regularly on Steel Wheels tour.

Urban Jungle stage looks great in yellow and multi-colours as the gig evolves from dusk to darkness, inflatable dogs eating Mick, young fans building pyramids with their bodies in the crowds on the pitch, fans in front of the stage right up for the gig.

I genuinely believe it had a different "summery" type of vibe which probably was a reflection of the time of year, young crowd and different stage.

Most of all the band which inc Bill Wyman on his last ever tour are on top top form and are right up for the gig as well !!!!!

Go on, release it, you know it makes sense !!!!!!!!

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 3, 2022 17:36

At this point, I would be happy if we had at least one recording from each tour up to 1990.

So far we are missing:

Any concert that can do justice to the US 72 tour - including Stevie's set a second CD

A good 1973 Pacific Tour recording

A complete Europe 76 concert

As jigsaw69 noted above, a good 1990 Urban Jungle concert.

Of course, a massive release of finished or unfinished outtakes, as is, warts and all, would be welcome. They could promote it with a contest open to diehard fans, who guesses the credits and year of recording wins!

C

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: October 3, 2022 19:42

Going way back to that media release from some years ago, it seems St. Louis 1997 is still in the queue. And I can't recall, maybe there was a mention of At The Max 1990 getting re-issued? Though I suppose that's not a true vault item, just a re-issue....and of course St. Louis has partial release on DVD.

Apologies if this has already come up in recent pages.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-07 19:19 by floodonthepage.

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: October 3, 2022 19:48

liddas

Of course, a massive release of finished or unfinished outtakes, as is, warts and all, would be welcome.

C

You'v got something winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-03 19:58 by AntoineParis.

Date: October 3, 2022 19:57

AntoineParis
liddas

Of course, a massive release of finished or unfinished outtakes, as is, warts and all, would be welcome. They could promote it with a contest open to diehard fans, who guesses the credits and year of recording wins!

C

You'v got something winking smiley

are you hinting at something that's coming or agreeing with him?

because if it's the former....grinning smiley

Posted by: kevinkamphuis ()
Date: October 3, 2022 20:48

ProfessorWolf
retired_dog
NoPanic

yes

Damn this is holy grail material! With these tapes the Ladies & Gentlemen film could be restored with perfect sound!

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: October 3, 2022 23:22

liddas
At this point, I would be happy if we had at least one recording from each tour up to 1990.

So far we are missing:

Any concert that can do justice to the US 72 tour - including Stevie's set a second CD

A good 1973 Pacific Tour recording

A complete Europe 76 concert

As jigsaw69 noted above, a good 1990 Urban Jungle concert.

C

I agree with you. But there are one tour missing from your list...1970(!) Also I think the concerts in '69 that isn't part of the tour should be released. Hyde Park with the first live Rambler, (and maybe the best version ever). Altamont as maybe the most famous concert they ever did, and last the two London shows after the tour.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: October 3, 2022 23:28

kevinkamphuis
ProfessorWolf
retired_dog
NoPanic

yes

Damn this is holy grail material! With these tapes the Ladies & Gentlemen film could be restored with perfect sound!

That would be nicethumbs up

Date: October 4, 2022 01:32

It’s hard to believe they only recorded the Texas shows and I guess thePhiladelphia showsfrom the1972tour.That tour was the biggest entertainment event of that summer.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1795
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home