Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: New Bill Wyman album coming!
Posted by: Congratulations ()
Date: January 18, 2023 23:40

With a little encouragement, Bill Wyman could've been a valuable 3rd songwriter in the group (The Stones' very own George Harrison!). Check these gems out...

...and, of course:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-18 23:42 by Congratulations.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 19, 2023 00:13

Taylor1
Bill is an amazing bassist and was part of rocks greatest rhythm section.But none of his solo music is great

None of them put out solo music that is great. Nothing that reaches the level of Stones songs. But that's because they are all about the chemistry of the band itself, and why there haven't been very many good Stones covers by other groups. It's why the band took a step down they never recovered from when Bill left.

The Beatles, on the other hand, ended up putting out some classic solo work, including Ringo.

When I put on Crosseyed Heart I knew what to expect, and that's exactly what I got. Bill's, at least, was novel. And if Bill does put out a new album I'll check it out, not knowing what he'll come up with.

Date: January 19, 2023 00:17

24FPS
Taylor1
Bill is an amazing bassist and was part of rocks greatest rhythm section.But none of his solo music is great
None of them put out solo music that is great. Nothing that reaches the level of Stones songs.

I'd rather listen to 'Wandering Spirit' than 'Voodoo Lounge' in its entirety, and both 'Talk Is Cheap' and 'Primitive Cool' are superior to 'Dirty Work' imo. But it was Bill Wyman who had the biggest 'solo' hit of all, at least in the UK!

Date: January 19, 2023 00:30

Congratulations
24FPS
Taylor1
None of them put out solo music that is great. Nothing that reaches the level of Stones songs.

I'd rather listen to 'Wandering Spirit' than 'Voodoo Lounge' in its entirety, and both 'Talk Is Cheap' and 'Primitive Cool' are superior to 'Dirty Work' imo. But it was Bill Wyman who had the biggest 'solo' hit of all, at least in the UK!

I think the song Warring People on the Superheavy album is fantastic. As is the Jagger/Grohl Eazy Sleazy. (The best Stones song not put out by the Stones in years).

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: January 19, 2023 01:24

treaclefingers
Taylor1
In Another Land and Jumping Jack Flash as co-writer are the only songs I like.

didn't he bang out the Paint It Black riff on the piano as well?
And does he get credit for the Nanker Phelge songs?

Posted by: JivinSisterFanny ()
Date: January 19, 2023 02:07

I was stunned and surprised (and puzzled) to hear "(Si Si) Je Suis Un Rock Star" in its entirety over the PA while waiting in line to clear security at San Francisco Int'l Airport last fall.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 19, 2023 17:25

24FPS
Congratulations
24FPS
Taylor1

I think the song Warring People on the Superheavy album is fantastic. As is the Jagger/Grohl Eazy Sleazy. (The best Stones song not put out by the Stones in years).

We are simpatico on this for sure. And I actually like much of the Superheavy album. I'm not sure why he put so much effort into it with the rest of them, and then did little to nothing to promote it.

And can you even fathom the reaction if the song Easy Sleazy was released by the Stones as a proper release, instead of just Mick on YouTube? I believe we'd be collectively over the moon. I only hope they have something similar up their sleeves for their first single. No ballad please!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-19 17:27 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: January 19, 2023 18:15

treaclefingers
24FPS
Congratulations
24FPS
Taylor1

We are simpatico on this for sure. And I actually like much of the Superheavy album. I'm not sure why he put so much effort into it with the rest of them, and then did little to nothing to promote it.

And can you even fathom the reaction if the song Easy Sleazy was released by the Stones as a proper release, instead of just Mick on YouTube? I believe we'd be collectively over the moon. I only hope they have something similar up their sleeves for their first single. No ballad please!

I, too, am a huge fan of the Superheavy album. Also love ES, but I'm not sure the vast majority would be over the moon. I think Driving Too Fast is a fantastic latter-day rocker that could have been a decent single. It rocks harder than ES even, but it seems to garner no appreciation here. I fear ES would be in a similar vein - oh it's Stones By The Numbers, or the lyrics are too trivial, etc. I still long for a proper physical release. Even if for RSD.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: January 19, 2023 22:04

VoodooLounge13
treaclefingers
24FPS
Congratulations
24FPS
Taylor1

I, too, am a huge fan of the Superheavy album. Also love ES, but I'm not sure the vast majority would be over the moon. I think Driving Too Fast is a fantastic latter-day rocker that could have been a decent single. It rocks harder than ES even, but it seems to garner no appreciation here. I fear ES would be in a similar vein - oh it's Stones By The Numbers, or the lyrics are too trivial, etc. I still long for a proper physical release. Even if for RSD.

you found one of the only latter stones releated projects i don't like in superheavy

and one of my favorite tracks of abb

Date: January 19, 2023 22:20

ProfessorWolf
VoodooLounge13
treaclefingers
24FPS
Congratulations
24FPS
Taylor1

you found one of the only latter stones releated projects i don't like in superheavy

and one of my favorite tracks of abb

That's what makes the world go round, my friend!! I'm also a big fan of Damian Marley and Joss Stone, my ultimate dream woman!!! Still hoping she reschedules who show for Ridgefield, CT one of these days!!!

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: January 20, 2023 00:17

Hey... getting a tad OT here guys!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: January 20, 2023 16:15

Are we though? Superheavy took its inspiration from music from the past to write and record the songs that they did. Bill Wyman's Rhythm Kings enjoyed performing covers of old R&B and Blues songs, and now the founder of that band is working on a new album. So, like with many topics on here, we conversate, drift in wide circles around various loosely related non-political topics, and then come back full circle again......

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: January 20, 2023 17:33

I also consider Bills solo work as quirky but I enjoy quirky. He seems to be a rather quirky guy overall actually which probably helped the Stones forward in a way I didn't really consider before. Basslines are either quirky or bland. I didn't read the whole thread but many of you seem strongly opinionated on him so if he wants to hit a nerve (what quirkyness usually does) he certainly did.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: January 20, 2023 21:08

Bill's Rhythm Kings were always great fun. Not original music, but great live delivery. His bass playing was just delicious.

Date: January 21, 2023 00:09

Nikkei
I also consider Bills solo work as quirky but I enjoy quirky. He seems to be a rather quirky guy overall actually which probably helped the Stones forward in a way I didn't really consider before. Basslines are either quirky or bland. I didn't read the whole thread but many of you seem strongly opinionated on him so if he wants to hit a nerve (what quirkyness usually does) he certainly did.

Keith seems to have understood how good Bill was. I wonder if Mick appreciated it? I heard Plundered My Soul the other day and Bill's bass makes that song. I don't know if I'd call his bass playing with the Stones quirky. Maybe. There was definitely humor in it sometimes. Keith made a comment once that Bill had the bass thing down when he joined the band. Bill may not be the greatest solo artist ever from a band, but he will always be the greatest bass player in the greatest rock and roll band.

Date: January 21, 2023 03:01

24FPS
Keith seems to have understood how good Bill was.

Really? I've always thought that Keith has underplayed Bill's importance, even when he was still in the band. Compare how often Keith praised Charlie to how little he's said anything good about Bill.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: January 21, 2023 13:55

I think it's important to acknowledge that there were bullying dynamics in the early Rolling Stones. Bill must have been on the receiving end of it as was Brian most of the time. But Bill turned out much more resilient and he always could count on Charlie as a real friend who would have his back. Don't really wanna comment on Mick and Keiths role in it but stuff like that never completely resolves. It evolves, though: Bill hinted several times publicly that he could just as well leave, but that was for Mick and Keith to read. When he finally went through with it, Keith throwing the "You only leave in a coffin" tantrum that alone tells already half the story. Bill just proved him wrong one day.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: January 21, 2023 16:56

Congratulations
24FPS

Really? I've always thought that Keith has underplayed Bill's importance, even when he was still in the band. Compare how often Keith praised Charlie to how little he's said anything good about Bill.

There's a clip of Keith from a few years ago in which he is extremely complimentary regarding Bill's playing.

Charlie said something about Bill that I think sums it up, that he didn't understand what Bill was doing until he wasn't there to do it anymore.

Date: January 21, 2023 18:37

That's good to know. Do you have a link?

From both of their autobiographies, it is clear that they were never close. I know that Mick and Bill have stayed in contact (Bill pops up in 'Being Mick'), but I can't imagine Keith and Bill doing the same. I'd love to be proven wrong though!

The first Stones album I knew from the age of 3 onwards (it was actually my parents') was this one:

It wasn't until years later that I discovered he wasn't actually the group's leader!

Date: January 21, 2023 23:17

Congratulations
24FPS

On YouTube there's an Ask Keith segment where he addresses the subject of Bill Wyman. He praises Bill's playing and gives him the full credit, and totally understands Bill's art. He ends with, "I've got to say, he's the top bass player for me."

Date: January 21, 2023 23:19

blivet
Congratulations
24FPS

There's a clip of Keith from a few years ago in which he is extremely complimentary regarding Bill's playing.

Charlie said something about Bill that I think sums it up, that he didn't understand what Bill was doing until he wasn't there to do it anymore.

I think what he said if that he didn't understand Bill's importance until he stopped playing, and the bottom fell out of the band. I think he also said he didn't understand until later when listening to their old records how clever Bill was.

Date: January 21, 2023 23:29

Found it! Nice words indeed (and I couldn't agree more).

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: January 22, 2023 15:30

So what about Bill's new album now? When will it be out?

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: January 22, 2023 20:10

Congratulations
Found it! Nice words indeed (and I couldn't agree more).

Not nice words by Keith, but the truth

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1470
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home