Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Dylan and Springsteen sell catalogs
Posted by: illyad1960 ()
Date: August 17, 2022 20:35

I was wondering if these sales also include the rights to any live or studio material still unreleased by each artist. Would the new owners of these songs be able to sell previously bootleg material as their own because they now own the rights to all the songs. Anyone with more knowledge on this topic, I will happily defer to you expertise

Re: OT: Dylan and Springsteen sell catalogs
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 17, 2022 23:07

[www.theguardian.com]

[www.nytimes.com]

[www.bbc.co.uk]

It does presumably include as yet unreleased material. Dylan's back catalogue was sold this year and his publishing for an even bigger amount in 2020.

I guess the details vary from artist to artist, however the artist would still be able to have clauses on how the music is used and what gets released.

I know that Springsteen has done this to prevent his music being misused in a way he wouldnt feel is appropriate (the most obvious example would be 'Born in The USA' being used for a political campaign).

Not the first time someone has had to be careful about the misuse of their work. I remember Johnny Cash's family taking umbrage at the potential use of 'Ring Of Fire' in an ad for haemorrhoid cream a while back

[news.bbc.co.uk].

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1958
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home