Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: The King passed 45 years ago today
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 16, 2022 17:46

Some great quotes regarding Elvis in the linked article. Just watched the recent Elvis movie. It was okay, some things not necessarily right. At the end it got to me when the movie closed with video of the real Elvis struggling through a song while someone holds a microphone in front of him. I, for one, will be blasting Elvis through the speakers today, shaking my old hips best I can while itching like a man on a fuzzy tree. Hope y'all do the same.

[bestclassicbands.com]

Re: OT: The King passed 45 years ago today
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 16, 2022 17:54

I remember the moment I found out. I was sitting in my basement room (without needle but yes, a spoon for ice cream - it was a really hot August day), and my father came in the room and announced it to all the kids.

Total shock.

In the coming days I went out and bought the album "Moody Blue", his latest release and played it over and over. Not a great record but some solid singing.

He lived such a tragic life really, and yet accomplished so much inside of 20 or so years. Amazing, and to think Lennon was even younger when he was taken away.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 16, 2022 19:58

I remember hearing it n the news that day 45 years ago .

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: August 16, 2022 20:58

Chuck Berry died in 2017 not 45 years ago.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 16, 2022 21:58

45 years ago is yesterday in memory, a lifetime in reality. In 1977 you got maybe a break-in on the news to announce his death. The next day is when I pored over the newspaper with his story, photos, reactions, etc. Now it would be 24 hour wall to wall coverage for days.

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: August 16, 2022 22:10

I have 2 copies of the Memphis newspaper from that day with the headline announcing his death. I bought them directly from the paper via mail-order at the time.

HBK

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: August 17, 2022 00:11

I was 21 years old at a Linda Ronstadt concert on 8/16/77 in my hometown of Rochester, NY when she announced that Elvis had died to the audience. Just a few months earlier, in May 1977, I saw Elvis in my hometown playing at the same venue- the Rochester Community War Memorial. In a lot of ways, probably the strangest concert I had ever been to.

A lot of people still can't wrap their heads around the fact that Elvis was only 42 years old when he died. As his health had deteriorated, a lot of people I know thought he was much older than 42.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-17 02:03 by Sighunt.

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: August 17, 2022 01:00

Cooltoplady

Well played !

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: August 17, 2022 01:40

umakmehrd
Cooltoplady

Well played !

indeed

i think elvis more then earned the respect and fame he gets as a pioneering rock 'n roll musician and performer

but there is only one true original king of rock 'n roll and it's charles edward anderson berry

however making this point in a thread about the 45th anniversary of elvis's death is maybe in a bit disrespectful and in poor taste

so let's leave rhis argument for another thread

Date: August 17, 2022 02:23

ProfessorWolf
umakmehrd
Cooltoplady

Well played !

indeed

i think elvis more then earned the respect and fame he gets as a pioneering rock 'n roll musician and performer

but there is only one true original king of rock 'n roll and it's charles edward anderson berry

however making this point in a thread about the 45th anniversary of elvis's death is maybe in a bit disrespectful and in poor taste

As a long time closet guitar player who has also emulated and tended to view Chuck as the rightful king, on a separate argument, we can certainly debate the influence and popularity of Elvis, but one cannot deny that it was white artists like Elvis and the Stones who helped bring and re-introduce black artists to a mainstream music audience. Just saying...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-17 02:31 by Sighunt.

Date: August 17, 2022 02:54

Sighunt
ProfessorWolf
umakmehrd
Cooltoplady

Well played !

indeed

As a long time closet guitar player who has also emulated and tended to view Chuck as the rightful king, on a separate argument, we can certainly debate the influence and popularity of Elvis, but one cannot deny that it was white artists like Elvis and the Stones who helped bring and re-introduce black artists to a mainstream music audience. Just saying...

true but it's also worth noting why it was necessary for white artists to record black music for white audiences to acknowledge and take interest in the music being made by there fellow countrymen

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: August 17, 2022 07:56

ProfessorWolf
umakmehrd
Cooltoplady

Well played !

indeed

Thanks to you both for the thread crap

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 17, 2022 08:16

I suspect those who don’t recognise or understand why Elvis was dubbed the ‘King’, were not around to appreciate the sheer explosion that he was in the 1950’s. Chuck Berry was an absolutely extraordinary talent and hugely important, but he wasn’t the cultural revolution that Elvis was. Elvis was, and is, simply on a whole other level.

‘Before Elvis, there was nothing’ - John Lennon

Date: August 17, 2022 08:18

Justin
ProfessorWolf
umakmehrd
Cooltoplady

Well played !

indeed

Thanks to you both for the thread crap

thumbs up Agreed, Justin. That’s why I made my post above, too. Unnecessary.

Posted by: Thru and Thru ()
Date: August 17, 2022 08:51

While my husband and I were driving across country to visit his family in New Jersey at the beginning of August, 1977, I insisted we take the route through Memphis so I could go see Graceland. I had been a big Elvis fan and had seen him live in 1968 and once in the early 1970s. We stopped at the big gates to Graceland and at the time they had a little golf cart or something that took fans/visitors through those gates and up the circular driveway, stopped right in front of the mansion for photos, etc. and then back out. Of course we went through and Elvis was actually home that day, unimaginable for that to happen nowadays! Anyway, we had just returned back home from our trip and I was back at work when I heard of his death, I was completely devastated! I still to this day marvel at how I was right in front of Elvis' house a mere two weeks before he died, what are the odds?

Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind...

Date: August 17, 2022 08:56

Big Al
I suspect those who don’t recognise or understand why Elvis was dubbed the ‘King’, were not around to appreciate the sheer explosion that he was in the 1950’s. Chuck Berry was an absolutely extraordinary talent and hugely important, but he wasn’t the cultural revolution that Elvis was. Elvis was, and is, simply on a whole other level.

‘Before Elvis, there was nothing’ - John Lennon

“If you had to give rock and roll another name, you might call it Chuck Berry.” - John Lennon

“He was writing good lyrics and intelligent lyrics in the 1950s when people were singing ‘Oh baby I love you so. It was people like him that influenced our generation to try and make sense out of the songs rather than just sing ‘do wah diddy.'” - John Lennon

“my hero, the creator of Rock and Roll.” - John Lennon

but i think your mostly right except elvis was only at another level then chuck when it came to fame

not musically in that regard i would give the crown to chuck

not to say that elvis wasn't very very VERY good as well and when it came to being good onstage consistently elvis was much much MUCH more consistent in that regard

but as i said before this isn't the place for this fight

let's just remember the king

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-17 09:14 by ProfessorWolf.

Date: August 17, 2022 09:27

I think John’s ‘before Elvis, there was nothing’ quote is really about the sheer impact that Elvis had. There was no cultural phenomenon in popular music before him. He kickstarted the revolution that was rock and roll!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 17, 2022 09:35

The Rockin' Machine with some girls ..........

ROCKMAN

Date: August 17, 2022 11:15

Big Al
I think John’s ‘before Elvis, there was nothing’ quote is really about the sheer impact that Elvis had. There was no cultural phenomenon in popular music before him. He kickstarted the revolution that was rock and roll!

i agree

he made rock and roll an overwhelmingly popular force in youth culture for decades

Posted by: PatrickS77 ()
Date: August 17, 2022 14:08

Sighunt
I was 21 years old at a Linda Ronstadt concert on 8/16/77 in my hometown of Rochester, NY when she announced that Elvis had died to the audience. Just a few months earlier, in May 1977, I saw Elvis in my hometown playing at the same venue- the Rochester Community War Memorial. In a lot of ways, probably the strangest concert I had ever been to.

A lot of people still can't wrap their heads around the fact that Elvis was only 42 years old when he died. As his health had deteriorated, a lot of people I know thought he was much older than 42.

Why? Was it one of those 1 hour shows?

With me being born in '77, I always thought it funny/strange/a certain connection that that was his death year. We only overlapsed 3 months. I'm older now than he was. Seems strange too. And it feels like yesterday that I attended an Elvis night, in honour of the 30th anniversary of his death. And to think that only 2 years after that his future ex son in law, of whom I'm a big fan, also died way prematurely. I visited Graceland some years back and it's an impressive place... and feels like he could come back any minute.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-17 14:09 by PatrickS77.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: August 17, 2022 14:56

I remember that day very well, I was in Langley, close to Vancouver at some friends place, we were doing a 6 weeks roadtrip through BC and State of Washington!

Date: August 17, 2022 17:36

PatrickS77
Sighunt

Why? Was it one of those 1 hour shows?

PatrickS77, my remarks above had more to do with the ambience, Elvis's performance, and the behavior of the concertgoers who attended the show. It could have been a great sociological study exploring the world through the eyes of your hardcore, rabid Elvis fans LOL!

Let's set the scene. At that time in my life, I had long, shoulder-length, curly hair, wearing torn denim jeans and matching denim jacket (reminiscent of how Plant or Daltrey might have looked in the '70's). I was definitely out of place!

A lot of the guys in the audience who appeared to be in their 40's, maybe early 50's, kinda looked like Elvis -with jet black hair, long black sideburns, shades on-all wearing leisure suites which were fashionable in the day. One of the most memorable moments was when Elvis hit the stage. From where I was sitting, I could see elderly women, some with canes-rushing the stage screaming for Elvis!

Regarding the concert itself, Elvis (who appeared extremely overweight and pasty and looked older than his 42 years), from what I remember did have moments where he was slurring or forgetting his words. However, he also displayed moments of brilliance, especially on the ballads where he exhibited quite a great range.

There was one particular segment in the concert that I will never forget. I believe it was during the song "My Way (?)", Elvis couldn't remember the words to the tune, and his roadie came out with the lyrics on paper, and if I'm not mistaken, Elvis put on a pair of classes so he could read it!

As I stated above, probably the strangest concert I had ever been to...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-17 17:40 by Sighunt.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 18, 2022 00:10

Rockman

The Rockin' Machine with some girls ..........

His future wife was 13 when he met her? Hmmm?

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 18, 2022 01:06

I attended one of those one hour shows. Tickets and ads said exactly that - "One Hour With Elvis". You could set a timer on this promise. The other thing that occurred at this show - and others from what I read about them - was they had a Las Vegas style comedian come out and do his bit for the audience, the band played some instrumentals and the backup chorus for Elvis did a few numbers as warm up for Presley. Then, bada boom bang, his opening theme song and there he was and one hour later he wasn't. The announcement then came on, "Elvis has left the building".

During an Elvis show I attended at the old Cap Centre in Largo, Maryland, they switched off the overhead video screens so there was nothing to see from the stage, only this ghostly figure way down on the stage with a band playing around him. Again, one hour and that was it.

Regarding Elvis and Priscilla, I believe she was 14 when he started courting her in Germany, where he was stationed with the Army at that time. Regarding her age, not unheard of in terms of the American south. Marrying or courting young was, might still be, a way of life for some folks down home.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 18, 2022 06:39

something much more important and dire happened 53 years ago today - Hurricane Camille.

[www.weather.gov]

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 18, 2022 06:41

He died?
... not so sure, I saw the house a few months ago and I definitely saw a shadow of a man peaking out from behind the curtains.

Date: August 18, 2022 07:07

dmay
I attended one of those one hour shows. Tickets and ads said exactly that - "One Hour With Elvis". You could set a timer on this promise. The other thing that occurred at this show - and others from what I read about them - was they had a Las Vegas style comedian come out and do his bit for the audience, the band played some instrumentals and the backup chorus for Elvis did a few numbers as warm up for Presley. Then, bada boom bang, his opening theme song and there he was and one hour later he wasn't. The announcement then came on, "Elvis has left the building".

During an Elvis show I attended at the old Cap Centre in Largo, Maryland, they switched off the overhead video screens so there was nothing to see from the stage, only this ghostly figure way down on the stage with a band playing around him. Again, one hour and that was it.

Regarding Elvis and Priscilla, I believe she was 14 when he started courting her in Germany, where he was stationed with the Army at that time. Regarding her age, not unheard of in terms of the American south. Marrying or courting young was, might still be, a way of life for some folks down home.

i'm an american (though not a southerner) but i can tell you that this sort of behavior is nearly universally frowned apon by the overwhelming majority of americans today

we are a deeply divided country on every imaginable issue but whether or not grown men should be able to court and/or have sex with teenage girls is an issue we are thankfully not very divided on

that being said i'm not passing judgment on what elvis did half a century ago no matter how much i personally find it repugnant

i understand it was a different era with a different range of views and beliefs on this issue even at the regional level

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-18 10:10 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: August 18, 2022 19:14

thumbs upsmileys with beer>grinning smiley<
Cooltoplady

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: August 18, 2022 19:29

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 18, 2022 19:45

The king is dead, long live the king!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1852
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home