Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Hottest Shows, Coldest Shows And Shows With The Craziest Weather?
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 18, 2022 01:28

Yeah sure was .... ankle deep in mud ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 18, 2022 02:23

PaintMonkeyManBlack
nijmegen 2007 was very very hot during the day. But then hell broke lose and lightning even struck the stage. Van Morisson played 3 songs and then left (and never returned)

Definitely the wettest and wildest weather at a Stones show I've ever attended, but miracles happen and the storm completely stopped by the time the Stones came on.
I do remember Van cutting his set short - we could barely see him through the heavy downpour as we were huddling/cowering under tarps and ponchos, etc,, but I don't recall lightning hitting the stage!
Similar scenario at a Stones show in San Francisco during Licks when it rained on Sheryl Crow (though nowhere near as heavy as Nijmegen), but again the skies cleared for the Stones.

edit: Link to IORR Reviews along with a few pics: Nijmegen, Netherlands Friday June 8, 2007

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-18 02:54 by Hairball.

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: August 18, 2022 11:40

PaintMonkeyManBlack
nijmegen 2007 was very very hot during the day. But then hell broke lose and lightning even struck the stage. Van Morisson played 3 songs and then left (and never returned)

I was there too. That could have ended a lot worse with 65000 people in a clump. There were two support acts that day. Lohues & the Louisiana Blues club were pretty good, when they left the stage it started pouring. When lightning struck the stage, Van the Man called it quits. But just before The Stones hit the stage, the rain stopped.. It was the second show after Keith's brain surgery and he was in pretty bad shape that night. The setlist was pretty good with songs like She Was Hot, CYHMK, Sweet Virginia and It's All Over Now.

Groningen 1999 was a similar experience. Eexcept it didn't stop raining until halfway through the show

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-18 11:52 by ribbelchips.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: August 18, 2022 15:54

windmelody
The final concert of the Stones in June 1999 was special: They played an incredible performance in the driving rain of Cologne; Mick Jagger was brilliant, as was the interaction between Keith Richards and Charlie Watts.

I remember. I still have a picture of Mick in a raincoat. As I was standing front row at the B-stage, my favorite part was coming now. Charlie was first and sat down under a massive umbrella protecting him and the drum-kit. But when the others had arrived, a little miracle happened - the rain stopped. Route 66 then really rocked. The sound was awesome and Mick was again wearing the awesome blue raincoat and the hat. After the song he got rid of the coat and threw the hat in the crowd - a real crowd-pleaser. Like a Rolling Stone and Midnight Rambler were awesome as well but the sound was getting worse. The guitars came straight and the drums were delayed!? But that did not really matter anymore at this point.

Posted by: bjornone ()
Date: August 18, 2022 17:14

Bangalore 2003. When we left the pre-show party at MG Road in downtown Bangalore with a rickshaw for the concert the weather was still quite ok. The hell rain started the same moment as Stones entered the stage, as I remember it. Then the flood was on until the last tune. (Thank God, it was almost 30 degrees in the air!) Still I had a hell of a time close to the stage, dancing in the flooded field, and also made some new friends. (There were 3 sections if I remenber correctly, and even tickets to the front one was dirt cheap, appr. 13 bucks.)

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: August 18, 2022 17:38

Good afternoon Schwonek, it was quite a night!

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: August 18, 2022 17:46

Paddy
Slane 2007 was a bit of a mud bath.

Not as bad as Alpine Valley in 1989.

Chicago 2006 was cold but not below freezing. It just seemed like it.

Washington DC, opening night in '94. Steamy temps were still in the upper 80s(F) when it ended.

Posted by: Chitown23 ()
Date: August 18, 2022 20:19

Soldier Field in Chicago 2006 had to be the coldest.
Grabbed "cheap" front row tickets for the show. Barely saw most of the band as they stayed by the heaters.
Cold and windy. Jacket, hood and mitten weather. I do believe the temp was just around 32F degrees. What do you expect for weather in October?!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-18 22:08 by Chitown23.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: August 18, 2022 21:21

wiredallnight
Per-Arne
Hottest show for me ever was Cirkus Krone Munich 2003

Per Arne

Exactly! thumbs up

Oooh yes! I drank more than 2 liters of water right after the concert. Incredible. Keith was leaning against the "setlist screen" next to Charlie's drumset and looked like a flat grey zombie ... fantastic concert, though.

Malieveld 2003 (The Hague, NL) and Nijmegen 2007 (NL) (just before the Stones started, but Van Morrison was completely washed from the stage within 15 minutes) were very, very wet (but Paris 1995 apparently was much worst!)

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 18, 2022 21:45

ribbelchips
PaintMonkeyManBlack

I was there too. That could have ended a lot worse with 65000 people in a clump. There were two support acts that day. Lohues & the Louisiana Blues club were pretty good, when they left the stage it started pouring. When lightning struck the stage, Van the Man called it quits. But just before The Stones hit the stage, the rain stopped.. It was the second show after Keith's brain surgery and he was in pretty bad shape that night. The setlist was pretty good with songs like She Was Hot, CYHMK, Sweet Virginia and It's All Over Now.

Groningen 1999 was a similar experience. Eexcept it didn't stop raining until halfway through the show

Keith had surgery over a year prior in May, 2006 (Keith surgery), and the Nijmegen show was not until August, 2007 - over a year later.(Europe 2007)
Between those dates, there were dozens of shows in both Europe and the US.> (Europe 2006) and (US Fall 2006).

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 18, 2022 22:39

Keith wrote about that moment where they were all unsure if he would do all right, it was a dress rehearsal in Milano 2006.

Date: August 19, 2022 01:24

Chitown23
Soldier Field in Chicago 2006 had to be the coldest.
Grabbed "cheap" front row tickets for the show. Barely saw most of the band as they stayed by the heaters.
Cold and windy. Jacket, hood and mitten weather. I do believe the temp was just around 32F degrees. What do you expect for weather in October?!

I remember this show well. I was down front and remember Ronnie wearing a heavy coat. I think was the least movement ever by Jagger. He along with the others stayed close to the heaters.

Posted by: normanplace ()
Date: August 20, 2022 01:41

If not mistaken they played “She wasHot”that cold Chicago night?

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: August 20, 2022 11:35

normanplace

They did. And it was the live debut of the song.

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: August 20, 2022 12:11

Waiting for the Astoria gig to start was a punishing experience. Crushed and boiled. Then when it started I was thrown all over the place. Be careful what you wish for…

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 20, 2022 19:06

Hairball
ribbelchips
PaintMonkeyManBlack

Keith had surgery over a year prior in May, 2006 (Keith surgery), and the Nijmegen show was not until August, 2007 - over a year later.(Europe 2007)
Between those dates, there were dozens of shows in both Europe and the US.> (Europe 2006) and (US Fall 2006).

Thats is correct Hairball. I don't know if people just like to make things up.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: August 20, 2022 20:27

Talking about crazy weather Madrid 82 was for sure a crazy show with all the decorations falling down due to strong wind and techs holding elements of the stage. These days the show would be probably cancelled due to dangerous weather, but in the 80s it was apparently not an issue.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: August 20, 2022 20:32

Hottest for me was inside - '81 in the Fox, ATL. Scorching.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: August 20, 2022 21:58

5.9.1998 at the Malieveld in The Hague, Netherlands on the BtB tour. With 86,000 present in a park in the middle of the city, it started raining torrentially shortly after the start and continued to do so throughout the show. We all got soaked to the skin but the band still performed remarkably well, though they did cut the vote song from their set. The fans were remarkably jovial and in good spirits and no-one seemed to be too bothered about getting soaked!

[m.youtube.com]

26.5.2014 at the Telenor Arena in Oslo, Norway. I was at this show with local boy Dandelion Powderman who I met for the 1st time at a Stones tribute show the night before. A very poor venue with no air con as DP said earlier and very poor ventilation. Acoustics leave a lot to be desired too. I was front row at the end of the catwalk and saw several people being taken out in distress by security.

19.7.2022 at the Groupama stadium in Lyon, just a month ago. The hottest weather for any show I’ve attended by any act in my lifetime. It touched 40c during the day and only fell to 36c by showtime at 930pm. Security did a good job with plenty of water on offer but it was uncomfortable with security removing several people in distress and a song being cut from the set.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-20 21:59 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: August 20, 2022 22:12

normanplace
"On a cold chigaco ni-i-ight"

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: August 21, 2022 01:34

My hottest (weatherwise) show was the Stones in Vienna in 1981. Perhaps the hottest day of the year. Me and my brother and a friend got to the stadium at 12 o'clock noon to make sure we were in the first batch of people to be let in, so to get a nice place close to the stage (in which we succeeded). But they didn't let us take drinks in and whatever beverages they sold inside the stadium were so expensive that we couldn't afford them. The Stones came on with quite some delay (and that after two support acts) and we got well-dried from thirst and the sun... There were a number of announcements by the MC blaming the delay on "problems with Keith's guitar" - funny excuse as it was clear to everyone that Keith has more than just one single guitar ... Bill Wyman later said in an interview that the driver who took him to the stadium hit a person somewhere on the way, and that he (Bill) agreed to go on to the stadium only after he was sure that person was taken care of properly, and that that was the reason for the delay.

Somewhat to my surprise, the best act that day were not the Stones but the J. Geils Band, who delivered a dynamite show.

Date: August 22, 2022 02:28

Hey guys i compiled some clips from the Stones show Live at Soldier Field, Chicago on October 11, 2006. Hope you like it.
More info here: [iorr.org]
Enjoy! [we.tl]

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: August 22, 2022 12:19

Hairball
ribbelchips
PaintMonkeyManBlack

Hmm than my memory is failing me smiling smiley. I remember the reviews of the Werchter show, which was just before Nijmegen and those reviews were pretty bad, suggesting Keith was drunk. Now that I mention it, I remember a show in Spain where he fell over on stage...

Date: August 22, 2022 13:30

ribbelchips
Hairball
ribbelchips
PaintMonkeyManBlack

Hmm than my memory is failing me smiling smiley. I remember the reviews of the Werchter show, which was just before Nijmegen and those reviews were pretty bad, suggesting Keith was drunk. Now that I mention it, I remember a show in Spain where he fell over on stage...

pretty sure that was helsinki.

bit off topic but very strange that keith after surgery was great in 2006, but hit and miss in 2007. Must be the moustache.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 22, 2022 14:09

I suspect that Keith's adherence to "doctors orders" was a bit variable in 2007.

...but wasn't that also around the time that Patti had cancer ?

There was so much nonsensical gossip and b*llocks [not least on these pages] following Keith's bump on the the noggin and surgery...

[...and folks often seemed to forget that Keith had been prone to the odd trainwreck throughout his whole career , not just after 2006 ! ]

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: August 22, 2022 18:40

Waldbühne this year was the hottest show for me.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: September 11, 2022 22:48

Found this quote from Keith. Might be bit exaggerated though.

[West Palm Beach, November 30, 1969.] We'd done this incredible flight from New York to West Palm Beach and sat on the tarmac in the plane for 9 hours at LaGuardia, in New York, while they got it ready. We got to the gig 8 hours behind schedule, after a helicopter flight. We got on at 4 o'clock in the morning. Below zero. And that was the last gig of the tour proper... Such a sight. That place wasn't much better than Altamont. Everyone was frozen stiff... You could enjoy the people for hanging around that long but it was too @#$%& cold to play properly and we tried to do the whole show... too @#$%& cold. A bummer. After Madison Square Garden, came out of 3 shows there to freeze your balls off in a Florida swamp.
- Keith Richards, 1971

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: September 11, 2022 23:41

franzk
Found this quote from Keith. Might be bit exaggerated though.

[West Palm Beach, November 30, 1969.] We'd done this incredible flight from New York to West Palm Beach and sat on the tarmac in the plane for 9 hours at LaGuardia, in New York, while they got it ready. We got to the gig 8 hours behind schedule, after a helicopter flight. We got on at 4 o'clock in the morning. Below zero. And that was the last gig of the tour proper... Such a sight. That place wasn't much better than Altamont. Everyone was frozen stiff... You could enjoy the people for hanging around that long but it was too @#$%& cold to play properly and we tried to do the whole show... too @#$%& cold. A bummer. After Madison Square Garden, came out of 3 shows there to freeze your balls off in a Florida swamp.
- Keith Richards, 1971

thanks i haven't read that before

yeah it looks pretty cold

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: September 11, 2022 23:56

My wife enjoyed the 2006 Chicago show because of the unique coats, jackets, etc. the Stones wore during the show.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1875
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home