Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Lamont Dozier RIP
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 9, 2022 13:24

[www.theguardian.com]

Lamont Dozier, the Motown legend behind hits for artists such as the Supremes, the Four Tops and the Isley Brothers, has died aged 81.

The news was confirmed by his son Lamont Dozier Jr on Instagram. No cause of death has been released as yet.

As one third of production team Holland–Dozier–Holland, Dozier was responsible for 10 of the Supremes’ 12 US No 1 singles, including Baby Love and You Keep Me Hanging On.

The trio was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1988 and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1990.

Ronnie Wood, who covered the trio’s 1963 single Leaving Home in 2001, paid tribute to Dozier on Twitter. “God bless Lamont,” he wrote. “His music will live on.” Mick Hucknall, who worked with Dozier in the 1980s, also tweeted his condolences calling him “One of the greatest songwriters of all time.”

Born in Detroit, Michigan on 16 June, 1941, Dozier started his musical career working for a few Detroit labels with little success. His luck changed in 1962 when he and songwriting brothers Brian and Eddie Holland started work at Motown. They hit the ground running, scoring three hits – Come and Get These Memories, Heatwave, and Quicksand – for Martha and The Vandellas.

They were followed in 1964 by Where Did Our Love Go, the first of 10 US chart-toppers the trio would write for The Supremes. Four years later, having helped define the Motown sound, Holland–Dozier–Holland left the label to start the Invictus and Hot Wax labels. Dozier would go on to record as a soloist for both labels.

After leaving Holland–Dozier–Holland in 1973, Dozier focused on his solo career, with one of his early singles, Going Back To My Roots, later becoming a huge success for disco group Odyssey in 1981.

Seven years later Dozier collaborated with Phil Collins on the US No 1 Two Hearts, winning the pair a Golden Globe and a Grammy. Dozier also worked with other British artists during the 80s, including Alison Moyet and Simply Red.

Dozier is survived by his second wife, Barbara Ullman Dozier, and his six children.

Re: OT: Lamont Dozier RIP
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 9, 2022 13:56

RIP

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: August 9, 2022 13:58

Music can’t get any better than those Supremes and Four Tops singles.

Rest in power.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 9, 2022 15:10

Another great one who left us RIP

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 9, 2022 17:02

Respect, admiration, and appreciation for the life and work of Lamont Dozier.

Every time a H-D-H song is being played it has enhanced the moment for me, whether I've been actively listening or just hearing it in the background from someone else's radio. Music taken to a higher plane, creating a shared experience of elevation for us lucky listeners.

Condolences to his family and associates. His life was a gift to everyone. I would have liked to have been his friend, because his music was a friend to me.

RIP.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 9, 2022 18:24

How wonderful the H-D-H songs were!

(I listened to some of those by the Supremes only yesterday morning.)

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 9, 2022 19:59

Very sad...a legend...

RIP Lamont Dozier

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: August 9, 2022 21:20

Another legend gone. RIP

Posted by: VoodooAllie ()
Date: August 9, 2022 22:57

Sad to hear this news! Playing “Cool Me Out” loud in Lamont’s honor!

Posted by: northof49 ()
Date: August 9, 2022 23:58

Stones covered this one on their first album in 1964.Had previously been recorded by Marvin Gaye.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 10, 2022 17:15

He gave us some wonderful music to listen to that still sounds great today. RIP

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1872
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home