Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
John Pasche - The Rolling Stones tongue logo designer
Posted by: harleybla ()
Date: August 8, 2022 00:43

NY Post Article:

[nypost.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-29 12:58 by bv.

Re: NY Post - Iconic Rolling Stones logo
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 8, 2022 00:50

The article is about John Pasche and the T&L-logo. But no new insights.

Re: NY Post Article
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 8, 2022 00:53

Always interesting to read his version of the story, but there's much more to it than meets the eye.

Date: August 8, 2022 01:05

Interesting comments by the NYP readers: Lance McMillan - "I thought Ruby Mazur created the logo? Someone is lying." And reader Jon C - "I always thought Andy Warhol did that logo."

Reader Christopher Jones - "I’ve run into 5 girls with the Stones Logo on their shirt. No joke, not a single one of them knew that it was the Stones logo. Every one of them said they just like the way it looks."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-08 01:15 by Irix.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: August 8, 2022 01:27

Irix
Interesting comments by the NYP readers: Lance McMillan - "I thought Ruby Mazur created the logo? Someone is lying." And reader Jon C - "I always thought Andy Warhol did that logo."

Yeah, yeah, Mazur apparently had some laywers on his neck. On request I worked out all the nonsence Mazur put out. Lying is one thing, but what he did was behaving like a spoiled child that desperately needed attention.
The Warhol mistake was made by many, including me, soon after the Sticky Fingers album was released. Warhol never lied about it!

Pasche did the "one white stripe" on the tongue version, so he should not have posed in front of the "two white stripes" versions. It's meanwhile well known that the "two white stripes" version was created in the USA by Craig Braun together with Walter Velez and Tony DiMicelli. the "second" white stripe surfaced when Braun viewed a booklet full with Alan Aldridge drawings inspired by Beatles songs (in this case the ice licking girl of "Day Tripper").

smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Date: August 8, 2022 02:12

Yes georgie - gotta give credit to Alan Aldridge who came up with the first version in the Beatles songbook - photo credit to Irix who posted this back in 2015 (found via google search) -> Beatles tongue :

Irix
The Beatles Songbook by Alan Aldridge - these are the pages 110-111 of the First Edition from 1969:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-08 02:14 by Hairball.

Date: August 8, 2022 03:05

georgie48

the "second" white stripe surfaced when Braun viewed a booklet full with Alan Aldridge drawings inspired by Beatles songs (in this case the ice licking girl of "Day Tripper").

There's the rubber-stamp version, created by John Pasche end of 1970 (used on letterhead by Rolling Stones Records) and it has already two white stripes - [iorr.org] . Craig Braun's version was from February 1971.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 8, 2022 03:08

can we get back ta who shot JFK .....

ROCKMAN

Date: August 8, 2022 03:15

Rockman

can we get back ta who shot JFK .....

"When after all it was you and me" .... [Keno.org] . winking smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 8, 2022 07:23

Hairball
Always interesting to read his version of the story, but there's much more to it than meets the eye.

No there isn't.

Stop with your FoX Newsian aspect of Bernie. Fake news galore.

Date: August 8, 2022 15:13

Irix
georgie48

the "second" white stripe surfaced when Braun viewed a booklet full with Alan Aldridge drawings inspired by Beatles songs (in this case the ice licking girl of "Day Tripper").

There's the rubber-stamp version, created by John Pasche end of 1970 (used on letterhead by Rolling Stones Records) and it has already two white stripes - [iorr.org] . Craig Braun's version was from February 1971.

I know Irix. Pasche made several tongue & lips versions according to Marchall Chess and they were discussed in the Netherlands after the 1970 tour finished there on October 9, 1970. The "one striped" version was eventually chosen as inlay for Sticky Fingers (Europe). The primitive rubber stamp "two striped" version was only used on paper/letters to start with.

The USA (Braun) version (on the flip side of the SF sleeve) was kind of a surprise then.
The SF record sleeves came from the USA. They actually had to be modified (from the inside, extra thick paper glued inside), because the metal zipper damaged the vinyl album (due to pressure when they were shipped as piles).
Braun told me that he was actually nervous, because he thought that he "crossed the border" with that USA version (and could be sued by the band, which off course never happened).

He also told me that there was a lot of pressure to get the album out as quick as possible, because they (the Stones people) were afraid of bootlegging, which had started to become a serious thread by then.

smileys with beer

Date: August 8, 2022 15:25

Hairball
Yes georgie - gotta give credit to Alan Aldridge who came up with the first version in the Beatles songbook - photo credit to Irix who posted this back in 2015 (found via google search) -> Beatles tongue :

Irix
The Beatles Songbook by Alan Aldridge - these are the pages 110-111 of the First Edition from 1969:

Yep Hairball, he should, but within the limits of the fact that Braun had laid eyes on that illustrated book and helped him (and Velez!) give inspiration to eventually come up with the mighty sharp USA version. When I started my "research" (my goodness, that was some time in 2009, I think ...) I collected loads of tongue/lips images from the Internet from way before Aldridge came up with his one. Girls lips, when coloured with shiny (red) lipstick usually show "those fainted eyes" reflexions simply because of the shape of the upper lip. The same is the case when our hilly tongue sticks out. In Aldridges version those "reflexions" were only very lightly touched.
Like Keith once said: "the best song writers are those with the largest record collection", or ... inspiration can be discovered all around ..cool smiley

Re: John Pasche - Stones logo designer - NY Post Article
Date: August 8, 2022 15:40

georgie48

Yep Hairball, he should, but within the limits of the fact that Braun had laid eyes on that illustrated book and helped him (and Velez!) give inspiration to eventually come up with the mighty sharp USA version.

But if you compare the rubber-stamp version (created by John Pasche end of 1970, used on letterhead by RS-Records) with Alan Aldridge's illustration then you get the urgent impression that this helped & inspired John Pasche as well - [iorr.org] .

Posted by: kv2915 ()
Date: August 8, 2022 22:07

In the new doc, Mick made mention of suggesting some Hindu god with a tongue…..I didn’t catch the name but I had never heard that before.

Date: August 8, 2022 23:05

kv2915

In the new doc, Mick made mention of suggesting some Hindu god with a tongue…..I didn’t catch the name but I had never heard that before.

Hindu goddess 'Kali' (Year 600 CE) - [iorr.org] .

[www.YouTube.com]

Date: August 9, 2022 16:46

Irix
georgie48

Yep Hairball, he should, but within the limits of the fact that Braun had laid eyes on that illustrated book and helped him (and Velez!) give inspiration to eventually come up with the mighty sharp USA version.

But if you compare the rubber-stamp version (created by John Pasche end of 1970, used on letterhead by RS-Records) with Alan Aldridge's illustration then you get the urgent impression that this helped & inspired John Pasche as well - [iorr.org] .

Hi Irix,

in theory one could assume tht Pasche saw Aldridge's Beatles Illustrated booklet and as such could have felt inspired by the ice licking girl.
I mentioned to Hairball that there are many examples of tongue/lips images from well before Aldridge's Daytripper image. Again, what makes it very unlikely is that the "eyes" as well as the "stripes" on the ice licking girl's image are very, very thin/faint, so he could just as easily (or even more likely) have found other images with much clearer distinctions. Also, the shape of that girl's lips is nothing special to be called a unique Aldridge "invention".
The 100% clear distinction of both the eyes and stripe(s) on John Pasche's design(s) are highly distinctive and absolutely unique. Not to be found anywhere else. Even Craig Brauns "Licks" logo (also owned by the Rolling Stones and given to him for merchandise use for a period of three years by Musidor BV) are still "far" away, simply because it doesn't have the eyes and it has distinguished teeth, like in the girl's image.
To me that suggests that Braun already had seen Aldridge's image before he gave Cefalu (in February 1971 in the presence of Chess) a handdrawn suggestion to make something out of Cefalu's mouth-only image with a tongue sticking out.
As you said correctly, the USA vesion was already in the hands of Velez and DiMicelli in late 1970, well before (several months) it was printed on the USA produced Sticky Fingers sleeve (backside) and on the USA album inside LP package.

cool smiley

Date: August 9, 2022 20:20

georgie48

The 100% clear distinction of both the eyes and stripe(s) on John Pasche's design(s) are highly distinctive and absolutely unique.

But both designs (A. Aldridge and J. Pasche) are very, very similar in shape & geometry. Compare it here - [iorr.org] . You can of course believe in coincidences if you like. winking smiley

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: August 10, 2022 17:20

Irix
georgie48

The 100% clear distinction of both the eyes and stripe(s) on John Pasche's design(s) are highly distinctive and absolutely unique.

But both designs (A. Aldridge and J. Pasche) are very, very similar in shape & geometry. Compare it here - [iorr.org] . You can of course believe in coincidences if you like. winking smiley

I remember flipping through a friend's copy of Aldridge's book when I was 13 or 14, back in the 70s, and when I got to that page I assumed that he had drawn the girl's mouth that way as a joking allusion to the Stones' logo.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 11, 2022 00:57

Ya probably right .....

ROCKMAN

Date: August 11, 2022 06:23

Irix
georgie48

What's lost for some, it seems, is the context OF the logo.

Especially for Ernie.

Double Oh Seven or Double Zero Seven?

It IS double zero seven.

Oh, or O, is not a number, a numeral.

Enter Ernie.

Date: August 11, 2022 18:23

GasLightStreet
Irix
georgie48

What's lost for some, it seems, is the context OF the logo.

Especially for Ernie.

Double Oh Seven or Double Zero Seven?

It IS double zero seven.

Oh, or O, is not a number, a numeral.

Enter Ernie.

This is very American mistery talk, GLS. (I do know the difference between zero and Oh and know that there are two ways of saying 007).
My modest Dutch way of thinking is not with you here. Maybe you can say what you mean differently.
cool smiley

Date: August 11, 2022 18:40

georgie48

Maybe you can say what you mean differently.

Ernie Cefalu. And then this whole T&L-logo discussion - [iorr.org] , [iorr.org] - will start all over again. Please not .... winking smiley

Date: August 11, 2022 21:47

Irix
georgie48

Ernie Cefalu. And then this whole T&L-logo discussion - [iorr.org] , [iorr.org] - will start all over again. Please not .... winking smiley

Yep Irix, please not!
But in case, you can always add those links winking smiley

Date: August 11, 2022 23:20

georgie48
Irix
georgie48

Yep Irix, please not!
But in case, you can always add those links winking smiley

Clearly, there's more to the picture than meets they eye.

The story behind the Stones tongue
Posted by: Meise ()
Date: September 29, 2023 12:51

Nice video: John Pasche on designing the famous logo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-29 12:53 by Meise.

Re: The story behind the Stones tongue
Date: September 29, 2023 13:05

Meise

Nice video: John Pasche on designing the famous logo

Date: October 1, 2023 06:09

Hairball

Not when it comes to the original logo created by John Pasche.

Date: October 1, 2023 06:11

Irix

Reader Christopher Jones - "I’ve run into 5 girls with the Stones Logo on their shirt. No joke, not a single one of them knew that it was the Stones logo. Every one of them said they just like the way it looks."

"Someone is lying."

That's just typical garbage by someone that knows nothing ("I thought" being key). Like the idiots that scream HAARP about hurricanes and climate change.

Fake news.

Purposeful misinformation.

If they'd only read a little.

Re: John Pasche - The Rolling Stones tongue logo designer
Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: October 1, 2023 10:39

...”John P. sold the copyright in 1982 ”....who bought it ?

Re: John Pasche - The Rolling Stones tongue logo designer
Date: October 1, 2023 11:35

jp.M

...”John P. sold the copyright in 1982 ”....who bought it ?

The Rolling Stones: Musidor B.V. - [iorr.org] , [www.GerbenLaw.com] .

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1342
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home