Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Bill Wyman 2022
Posted by: RG ()
Date: August 6, 2022 14:25

I was wondering how Bill Wyman is doing nowadays?
I didn’t read/seen interviews of him for a while. Hopefully he is still in a good condition. Do you think that we’ll see him ever on stage again? With the Rhythym Kings for example? I know he will turn 86 in October.. but time is on his side.
Maybe some of you have some more information. Thanks!

Re: Bill Wyman 2022
Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 6, 2022 14:37

I met Bill Wyman in London in May this year, just before the tour start. It was at a photo exhibition, when he was doing book signing. I talked to him, he remembered me from past meetings, and he was very friendly, relaxed and seemed happy. It was great to see him, I have always been a fan of his works and his performances, both with The Rolling Stones and separately.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-06 14:38 by bv.

Date: August 6, 2022 14:46

Thank you, BV. He looks happy indeed. Very good to hear!
I am glad he is doing well. I started listen to the Rhythym Kings lately and I am really love his work with that band.

Date: August 6, 2022 14:58

There is a separate Bill Wyman section on IORR. It is by no means complete, but there are some links to shows and reports. Some of my recent favorites are the Rjukan show, Notodden, Glastonbury (the day before The Stones played there), and more...

Bill Wyman (IORR)

Bjornulf

Date: August 6, 2022 14:59

Thank you!!!!

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: August 6, 2022 15:48

my god he looks good for his age

i'll give him that

bv did he mention anything about the 6oth anniversary or acknowledge it in anyway when you saw him?

not that i expect him to or anything but be neat to hear what it means to him

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 6, 2022 20:17

Part of the greatest drum/bass duo in rock history.Met him in New York years ago at one of his book signing.He was very funny and made everyone laugh imitated Mick doing his rooster dance.I am sorry I was too young to hear him on earlier shows but he was great at Shea Stadium 1989.When I saw the Stones again in1994 at the Meadowlands the loss on bass was obvious

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 6, 2022 22:43

He's probably working away on some new project. Would love to hear his true, unvarnished memories of what he observed and what he really thought of people.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 7, 2022 02:22

Bill should have been involved or acknowledged in the SIXTY tour in some way - even if just a thank you message and/or some pictures of him on the giant screen at some point.
It would have been nice had they done that for every past member in fact, but seems they've been trying to erase and rewrite their history for quite some time now.
Hats off to Bill...and Brian...and Mick Taylor...and the rest...and at least they haven't forgotten about Charlie...yet...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 7, 2022 02:48

and poor ole Blondie who did so much under the boards ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: bam ()
Date: August 7, 2022 02:51

Rockman
and poor ole Blondie who did so much under the boards ....
cool smiley

Date: August 7, 2022 04:08

Hairball
Bill should have been involved or acknowledged in the SIXTY tour in some way - even if just a thank you message and/or some pictures of him on the giant screen at some point.
It would have been nice had they done that for every past member in fact, but seems they've been trying to erase and rewrite their history for quite some time now.
Hats off to Bill...and Brian...and Mick Taylor...and the rest...and at least they haven't forgotten about Charlie...yet...

that's a bit of a low blow there

charlie's different

Date: August 7, 2022 04:17

... what else do ya expect ... always punchin below the belt

ROCKMAN

Date: August 7, 2022 05:09

It is strange how low key the 60th is/was. I guess there was such a big deal made around the 50th that there isn't much left to say. Not even yet another Greatest Hits package. Maybe Charlie's passing dampened their own enthusiasm. The American and European tour did have a bit of a working man's vibe to it. No frills stage. No sentimentality except for the Charlie video upfront.

Date: August 7, 2022 06:30

i'd say the loss of charlie put a damper on their enthusiasm for celebrating the 6oth

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 7, 2022 09:50

24FPS

It is strange how low key the 60th is/was.

When Pink Floyd's album 'The Wall' turned 40 years in 2019, a journalist asked in an article: "What's the best way to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the album?" And immediately replied it by himself: "Do nothing".

Stones' Exile 50th anniversary in 2022 was also quite low key - not even a Carnaby Red-Vinyl so far ....

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: August 7, 2022 11:17

24FPS
It is strange how low key the 60th is/was. I guess there was such a big deal made around the 50th that there isn't much left to say. Not even yet another Greatest Hits package. Maybe Charlie's passing dampened their own enthusiasm. The American and European tour did have a bit of a working man's vibe to it. No frills stage. No sentimentality except for the Charlie video upfront.

I don't think they like to emphasise anything that reminds them/us? how old they are, especially Mick. So anniversary's are a bit of a double edged sword these days. He's never really loved reminiscing.
Nice to read the news of Bill. In a way it would have been good to have an episode on him for the recent 60 series - as well as the band's story, I find it fascinating how eccentric in many ways each of the individuals are and Bill is another such original.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 7, 2022 11:45

Lady Jayne

So anniversary's are a bit of a double edged sword these days.

Yep, there're people in normal life who don't celebrate their birthdays anymore because they won't be remembered how time flies ....

Date: August 7, 2022 11:55

Last berfday celebrated was about
two years before they discovered candle wax ......

ROCKMAN

Date: August 7, 2022 14:26

Bill Wyman did his last show with the Stones at Wembley stadium back in August 1990. It is 32 years ago this month. There is more in life than playing in a rock band and touring the world every 2-3 years. I have seen and met Bill many times at his shows and at other events since then, and it is clear to me that he do enjoy his life as it is now, with no need to be on the big stage touring the world.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-07 14:27 by bv.

Date: August 7, 2022 21:15

bv
Bill Wyman did his last show with the Stones at Wembley stadium back in August 1990. It is 32 years ago this month. There is more in life than playing in a rock band and touring the world every 2-3 years. I have seen and met Bill many times at his shows and at other events since then, and it is clear to me that he do enjoy his life as it is now, with no need to be on the big stage touring the world.

Glad you got to know him a little better. People don't understand that he wasn't invested in the Stones like Mick and Keith. He probably felt the Stones were keeping him from leading a normal life. He was very good at his job in the group, excellent in retrospect, but that's what it was to him. Time has shown that he did indeed have varied interests. A great photographer, a great diarist. And he got to play with his own band when he wanted to play. He knew when to quit. The Golden Age was over. He made enough money to live a comfortable life, a luxurious one by most of our standards. I wish he'd been a little more appreciated and recognized, then, and now. But he seems to handle it all quite well.

I was a little sad watching 'The Quiet One' when he came to tears recalling how inadequate he felt to play with Ray Charles when Ray Charles requested him. It was obvious that Ray Charles could hear his genius, but Bill didn't believe it.

Date: August 7, 2022 21:46

Lady Jayne
24FPS

I don't think they like to emphasise anything that reminds them/us? how old they are, especially Mick. So anniversary's are a bit of a double edged sword these days. He's never really loved reminiscing.
Nice to read the news of Bill. In a way it would have been good to have an episode on him for the recent 60 series - as well as the band's story, I find it fascinating how eccentric in many ways each of the individuals are and Bill is another such original.

Yet the 50 and Counting Tour was all about celebrating the 50th anniversary of the band, and was a tour which included guest performances by former members.
As far as reminiscing, I wonder what goes through Mick's mind when he's performing songs that are decades old which a majority of the setlist is made up of, and some of which are near 60 years old.
Does he completely block out the past when he wrote the lyrics, or does his mind maybe drift back a little bit to when, where, and why he wrote those lyrics - or perhaps some other memory that might be triggered.
He might not like to reminisce much in interviews, etc., but it would seem impossible not to drift back in his mind when performing tunes such as Out of Time, Lets Spend the Night Together, Paint it Black, etc., etc., etc.

Date: August 7, 2022 23:58

Hairball
Lady Jayne
24FPS

Yet the 50 and Counting Tour was all about celebrating the 50th anniversary of the band, and was a tour which included guest performances by former members.
As far as reminiscing, I wonder what goes through Mick's mind when he's performing songs that are decades old which a majority of the setlist is made up of, and some of which are near 60 years old.
Does he completely block out the past when he wrote the lyrics, or does his mind maybe drift back a little bit to when, where, and why he wrote those lyrics - or perhaps some other memory that might be triggered.
He might not like to reminisce much in interviews, etc., but it would seem impossible not to drift back in his mind when performing tunes such as Out of Time, Lets Spend the Night Together, Paint it Black, etc., etc., etc.

Mick is so guarded and controlled in interview, it seems impossible to gauge his thought processes but he always seems to prefer talking about the present and future - at least to media - and he is very edited in what he says about the past. I think he learnt early to protect himself. No memoir - he said he'd forgotten when he returned the advance but I don't believe him, he just doesn't want to spill his guts.

Date: August 8, 2022 00:01

bv

I also don't think Bill was much respected by the other Stones [excepting Charlie] especially Keith. It must have rankled over the years. Of course, you could say Keith doesn't respect anyone in the band much but Mick doesn't care and has the limelight and upper hand with the money and Ronnie was easier going.

Date: August 8, 2022 00:18

Lady Jayne
Hairball
Lady Jayne
24FPS

Mick is so guarded and controlled in interview, it seems impossible to gauge his thought processes but he always seems to prefer talking about the present and future - at least to media - and he is very edited in what he says about the past. I think he learnt early to protect himself. No memoir - he said he'd forgotten when he returned the advance but I don't believe him, he just doesn't want to spill his guts.

True enough Lady Jayne, it does seem he's very guarded and controlled in most interviews, though there have been a few where he opens up quite a bit to the past (I recall a nice one in a Rolling Stone magazine)
But then there's the fact there's been no memoir...yet...hopefully there will be some day as it would be nice to read his history from his own perspective, and in his own words...

But along with singing all the oldies and what might go through his mind, I wonder what he thinks when he's going through all the past recordings searching for yet another "lost gem"...
Scraping the bottom of the barrels in the basement when he's all alone...living in the past....wondering and soul searching...maybe thinking to himself "I recall when I wrote this on a cold and lonely night"...
Or maybe thinking "wow this is great...we were all young and having fun...why didn't we ever finish and release this"!!! Surely he must drift back/reminisce once in a while...at least privately and in his own mind...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 8, 2022 01:28

Hairball

I think that whole thing with the 50th left a bitter taste. Too bad.

Date: August 8, 2022 01:34

Bet Morvan and Pilatus once sat hunched in their
lonely basement and wished they'd have learnt to sing .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 8, 2022 02:14

Rockman
Bet Morvan and Pilatus once sat hunched in their
lonely basement and wished they'd have learnt to sing .....

I saw one of them, I think it was Rob, in a nightclub in Maui one time...I think he had 3 girls around him. I went to the washroom and thought that when I returned I'd say a few words in German to him.

He left though...dang!

Date: August 8, 2022 07:22

Hairball
Lady Jayne
Hairball
Lady Jayne
24FPS

True enough Lady Jayne, it does seem he's very guarded and controlled in most interviews, though there have been a few where he opens up quite a bit to the past (I recall a nice one in a Rolling Stone magazine)
But then there's the fact there's been no memoir...yet...hopefully there will be some day as it would be nice to read his history from his own perspective, and in his own words...

But along with singing all the oldies and what might go through his mind, I wonder what he thinks when he's going through all the past recordings searching for yet another "lost gem"...
Scraping the bottom of the barrels in the basement when he's all alone...living in the past....wondering and soul searching...maybe thinking to himself "I recall when I wrote this on a cold and lonely night"...
Or maybe thinking "wow this is great...we were all young and having fun...why didn't we ever finish and release this"!!! Surely he must drift back/reminisce once in a while...at least privately and in his own mind...

I'll bet you some of those songs he digs up are a mystery to him. We're talking 50 years for some of them. They recorded so many songs I'm sure he can't remember them all. There seemed to have been a lot of confusion around 'Scarlet' as to exactly what happened. There was a lot going on, a lot of travel, a lot of drugs. He don't see the time flashin' by.

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: August 8, 2022 11:37

bv

Wow, time flies. That means that the Stones are already playing longer without Bill than wíth him..

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1958
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home