Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8384858687888990919293...LastNext
Current Page: 88 of 123
Re: Stones tour plans 2023
Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 22, 2023 15:36

Please DO NOT use this thread for discussing the new album. This is the 2023 Tour thread, nothing else. Also, there is a separate Set List thread.

Bjornulf

Posted by: syrel ()
Date: February 22, 2023 16:35

DandelionPowderman

Does it? That's not the way I read Bjørnulf's post. «The tour is the boss» could mean that the album won't come out weeks or months before the tour, but round the time the tour starts.

Yeah, I think the way to think of it is:
originally - the album is ready, the tour will be scheduled for when the album can be released
now - the tour has to be delayed, so we will release the album nearer to the start of the tour.

They want the tour to generate more publicity for the album (albums don't have much of a shelf life these days). So in that sense, the album remains the boss, even though the tour governs the schedule (does that make it the secretary?).

syrel

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: February 22, 2023 16:52

The tour is the boss:

In 2005 it was like this:
Aug 21 : Tour start
Sep 6 : Release of ABB

So why not start the tour in August 2023 and release whenever they feel like it.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: February 22, 2023 16:54

syrel
DandelionPowderman

Does it? That's not the way I read Bjørnulf's post. «The tour is the boss» could mean that the album won't come out weeks or months before the tour, but round the time the tour starts.

Yeah, I think the way to think of it is:
originally - the album is ready, the tour will be scheduled for when the album can be released
now - the tour has to be delayed, so we will release the album nearer to the start of the tour.

They want the tour to generate more publicity for the album (albums don't have much of a shelf life these days). So in that sense, the album remains the boss, even though the tour governs the schedule (does that make it the secretary?).

syrel

Ahhh now that's an interesting way of looking at it, and I hadn't thought of that. That makes perfect sense actually!

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: February 22, 2023 16:54

schwonek
The tour is the boss:

In 2005 it was like this:
Aug 21 : Tour start
Sep 6 : Release of ABB

So why not start the tour in August 2023 and release whenever they feel like it.

Well because whenever they feel like it might be another 18 years, and we've already lost one crucial band member whilst waiting around......

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: February 22, 2023 18:02

VoodooLounge13
GerardHennessy
VoodooLounge13
Kurt
Wait...
First we were told that the new album is the boss.
Now we are told that the new tour is the boss ?!

The only thing for certain is that She's the Boss.

I was going to type the same thing! So now, it is all about the tour again, and the album is no longer the priority. Unreal. As someone said elsewhere, I may start losing faith that an actual album is going to materialize at all!!!

Said statement was probably from me. And 100% NOT said in rancour, bitterness or from a sense of entitlement. More as a kind of world weary 'same old, same old' statement. None of us should either expect or believe anything regarding a tour or an album until it is written in blood and the tickets or the album is actually held in our cold, dead hands.

As Rocky Dijon writes elsewhere in this forum, they are old men, we cannot expect or demand anything more from them. Let us get a sense of perspective about all of this...

I'm far from bitter or rancid, or feel entitled. I was looking forward to a new album FINALLY!!! Now, it seems as if it has taken a backseat yet AGAIN to another tour of the same ol' package of hits that has been tirelessly shipped across the US and Europe for the past 10-12 years. Hell, even by the end of the ABB I was growing tired of the setlist. Perhaps because I'd been to so many shows at that point. I'm content to never go see them again, honestly. I've seen them my lucky number 13x, and got 3 never before heard live songs in Nashville, 2021, and that had been my goal. Got to go out with my sons, even. The only reason I'd go again is those same 2 boys who so were completely blown away and welcoming the chance to share more of those memories together with them.

However, at the same time, I have grown tired of the same ol, oh there's new music coming down the pike, when it's been 18 years and no real hint of anything happening anytime soon. While at the same time all of their peers keep churning out new records - Bruce, Macca, Neil, Dylan. We sit around here salivating like Pavlov Dogs waiting for any baited clickbait news to devour and bitch over in regards to setlists, show locations, length of shows, the rumored on again off again new album while time eclipses them and us. And I for one am so tired of the argument that a solo artist is not the same as getting a whole band together. Bruce uses the same damn band all the time, and it's been that way since the start. Every few years him and the E Street get back together and hammer out the songs. Yeah, OK him, Dylan, Neil, and Macca write most of the material and don't have the same limiting sandbox that Jagger/Richards impose on who can be a songwriter on record, but it's still setting aside times out of all of their band members' schedules to come and record a new album and then tour behind it - wow such a novel idea.

And now the rumor of Paul and Ringo on the new album, along with Andrew Watt producing. Watt's worked with both Paul and Dua Lipa, so her involvement also seems highly likely, so I'm of the mindset that whomever has stopped by the studio will most likely be on the album in some way shape or form. And with the number of guests, it does harken back to the old days, and if and when we do ever get a new album, I - like many of us here - will devour it insatiably and will probably listen to it longer'n the 6 months straight that I listened to ABB. But at this point, I'm inclined to think it will either be the most brilliant thing they've done in decades or the biggest pile of crap since the ER/U era. I really don't know. But like many here, I'm very anxious for new music - NEW music. Not nasally, over-enunciated vocals laid on top of 50 year old basic tracks. Criss Cross was the best damn thing they've released in decades. It's phenomenal. I listen to it all the time. How a song like that sat in the vaults for all these years, I'll never know! It's brilliant, a masterpiece.

I wish Jagger & Keef could bury the hatchet and really write like in the days of old. It ain't gonna happen. I wish Jagger would stop thinking so much and be so damned worried about trying to craft the perfect Stones song, because when he's not trying too much is when he writes some of his best stuff (Jump On Top of Me, Cook Cook Blues, Fancy Man Blues). Just let it flow. And sing naturally. Without whatever effects distract from B&L.

Concert-wise, the setlist needs an overhaul. I've said this before. The musical director has grown far too complacent. They've been schlepping the same basic list around for far too long now. I am glad that some songs have gotten a reprieve, but the catalog is so vast, and again, their peers blow them away from a song selection standpoint. Sometimes I wonder if they could handle the variations that many of us wish for them to do. And at the same time, all of us - well most of us - have no problem shelling out the $100's to go see the same basic show over and over and over and over again. There are about 3 song slots each night that really change at all. With a new album, we will get new songs, which I greatly welcome, but for Keef's spot, he'll play a new tune, and then it'll be either Happy or BTMMR, so any variation or chance of hearing CBS or T&T is out the door. For me, going to a Stones show these days is like going to a frat party. You know exactly what you're getting and it's just one big party. I enjoy it all as much as the next person, but if the fire is now gone from the Sympathy number, and the long devilish coats have been gone for awhile, BS is now not PC to be sung, the stages are getting simpler, the spectacle is getting less and less spectacular. And for someone who grew up with the band in the Post-Bill period and knows ONLY the spectacularness of the ginormous stages and all the special effects, that is what I want. That is what I shell out 100's and 100's and 100's of dollars to see. In a Stadium. That is what made this band my very favorite in the first place, and topple The Beatles out of that spot and so far down my list now, that I RARELY ever listen to them!!! Watching that bridge come out of the stage toward mid-field at Foxboro. The band OPENING with Satisfaction!!! A show filled with about 50% of songs I'd never heard before!!!! And I was hooked! I was blown away. And I can't be the only person who's felt that way. I think they underestimate how much some of their less popular songs are known and loved - OOT proved that last summer.

Now all that being said, No Security, with all of its simplicity, remains my very favorite tour - the minimalist of the stage, the construction-like zone of the intro and tape all over the place. No Satisfaction, the incredibly varied setlist. Sitting right behind the stage and having the whole band right there in front of me!?!?!?!?! Amazing!!!! Is that hypocritical? I think it's just me being a bit varied in my tastes is all.

I grew up with this band - like so many here - and I think we are all entitled to our opinions about this and that. It's part of why this board exists in the first place. I don't think that makes any of us entitled to anything but our opinion. Just like Rocky Dijon is entitled to his opinion of Quit Yer Bitchin.

What each of us wants, and what we are going to get are two VERY different items that shall ne'r intertwine. Plain and Simple

Forgive me please if what I wrote read like a dig at others, especially yourself. That was never my intention.

In fact I find myself in almost complete agreement with what you have written here. The long wait is tedious, the static setlist is the same, the gradual- and understandable - diminishing nature of everything about the band is rather sad in truth.

My point was kind of written to myself as a reminder to not expect anything to change now. The fact is that there are many, many people - good luck to 'em - who will always be happy to go see a Stones concert that repeats almost exactly what was performed 2-3-4 years ago. Perhaps they never really listen to The Stones regularly and so are relatively unfamiliar with the warhorse-rich setlist that is now churned out on each tour? Perhaps they are simply happy to have a night out with friends? Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps...

For a man with the unerring commercial aptitude of Mick Jagger, it is a no-brainer to take the show on the road again, given the money it earns. Especially if little or no changes are required to the setlist, and a core block of say 30 songs is all that is required, from which any single performance will use 18-20 of them.

My main irritation is with myself. I keep hoping, foolishly, that things will change. That a few deep cuts appear on the set list. And not even especially deep either. Tracks like Waiting On A Friend, All Over Now, Little Red Rooster, One Hit To The Body, Harlem Shuffle. Some big hits there. Well known too.

But I doubt any will see the light of day anytime soon...

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: February 22, 2023 18:34

GerardHennessy
VoodooLounge13
GerardHennessy
VoodooLounge13
Kurt
Wait...
First we were told that the new album is the boss.
Now we are told that the new tour is the boss ?!

The only thing for certain is that She's the Boss.

I was going to type the same thing! So now, it is all about the tour again, and the album is no longer the priority. Unreal. As someone said elsewhere, I may start losing faith that an actual album is going to materialize at all!!!

Said statement was probably from me. And 100% NOT said in rancour, bitterness or from a sense of entitlement. More as a kind of world weary 'same old, same old' statement. None of us should either expect or believe anything regarding a tour or an album until it is written in blood and the tickets or the album is actually held in our cold, dead hands.

As Rocky Dijon writes elsewhere in this forum, they are old men, we cannot expect or demand anything more from them. Let us get a sense of perspective about all of this...

I'm far from bitter or rancid, or feel entitled. I was looking forward to a new album FINALLY!!! Now, it seems as if it has taken a backseat yet AGAIN to another tour of the same ol' package of hits that has been tirelessly shipped across the US and Europe for the past 10-12 years. Hell, even by the end of the ABB I was growing tired of the setlist. Perhaps because I'd been to so many shows at that point. I'm content to never go see them again, honestly. I've seen them my lucky number 13x, and got 3 never before heard live songs in Nashville, 2021, and that had been my goal. Got to go out with my sons, even. The only reason I'd go again is those same 2 boys who so were completely blown away and welcoming the chance to share more of those memories together with them.

However, at the same time, I have grown tired of the same ol, oh there's new music coming down the pike, when it's been 18 years and no real hint of anything happening anytime soon. While at the same time all of their peers keep churning out new records - Bruce, Macca, Neil, Dylan. We sit around here salivating like Pavlov Dogs waiting for any baited clickbait news to devour and bitch over in regards to setlists, show locations, length of shows, the rumored on again off again new album while time eclipses them and us. And I for one am so tired of the argument that a solo artist is not the same as getting a whole band together. Bruce uses the same damn band all the time, and it's been that way since the start. Every few years him and the E Street get back together and hammer out the songs. Yeah, OK him, Dylan, Neil, and Macca write most of the material and don't have the same limiting sandbox that Jagger/Richards impose on who can be a songwriter on record, but it's still setting aside times out of all of their band members' schedules to come and record a new album and then tour behind it - wow such a novel idea.

And now the rumor of Paul and Ringo on the new album, along with Andrew Watt producing. Watt's worked with both Paul and Dua Lipa, so her involvement also seems highly likely, so I'm of the mindset that whomever has stopped by the studio will most likely be on the album in some way shape or form. And with the number of guests, it does harken back to the old days, and if and when we do ever get a new album, I - like many of us here - will devour it insatiably and will probably listen to it longer'n the 6 months straight that I listened to ABB. But at this point, I'm inclined to think it will either be the most brilliant thing they've done in decades or the biggest pile of crap since the ER/U era. I really don't know. But like many here, I'm very anxious for new music - NEW music. Not nasally, over-enunciated vocals laid on top of 50 year old basic tracks. Criss Cross was the best damn thing they've released in decades. It's phenomenal. I listen to it all the time. How a song like that sat in the vaults for all these years, I'll never know! It's brilliant, a masterpiece.

I wish Jagger & Keef could bury the hatchet and really write like in the days of old. It ain't gonna happen. I wish Jagger would stop thinking so much and be so damned worried about trying to craft the perfect Stones song, because when he's not trying too much is when he writes some of his best stuff (Jump On Top of Me, Cook Cook Blues, Fancy Man Blues). Just let it flow. And sing naturally. Without whatever effects distract from B&L.

Concert-wise, the setlist needs an overhaul. I've said this before. The musical director has grown far too complacent. They've been schlepping the same basic list around for far too long now. I am glad that some songs have gotten a reprieve, but the catalog is so vast, and again, their peers blow them away from a song selection standpoint. Sometimes I wonder if they could handle the variations that many of us wish for them to do. And at the same time, all of us - well most of us - have no problem shelling out the $100's to go see the same basic show over and over and over and over again. There are about 3 song slots each night that really change at all. With a new album, we will get new songs, which I greatly welcome, but for Keef's spot, he'll play a new tune, and then it'll be either Happy or BTMMR, so any variation or chance of hearing CBS or T&T is out the door. For me, going to a Stones show these days is like going to a frat party. You know exactly what you're getting and it's just one big party. I enjoy it all as much as the next person, but if the fire is now gone from the Sympathy number, and the long devilish coats have been gone for awhile, BS is now not PC to be sung, the stages are getting simpler, the spectacle is getting less and less spectacular. And for someone who grew up with the band in the Post-Bill period and knows ONLY the spectacularness of the ginormous stages and all the special effects, that is what I want. That is what I shell out 100's and 100's and 100's of dollars to see. In a Stadium. That is what made this band my very favorite in the first place, and topple The Beatles out of that spot and so far down my list now, that I RARELY ever listen to them!!! Watching that bridge come out of the stage toward mid-field at Foxboro. The band OPENING with Satisfaction!!! A show filled with about 50% of songs I'd never heard before!!!! And I was hooked! I was blown away. And I can't be the only person who's felt that way. I think they underestimate how much some of their less popular songs are known and loved - OOT proved that last summer.

Now all that being said, No Security, with all of its simplicity, remains my very favorite tour - the minimalist of the stage, the construction-like zone of the intro and tape all over the place. No Satisfaction, the incredibly varied setlist. Sitting right behind the stage and having the whole band right there in front of me!?!?!?!?! Amazing!!!! Is that hypocritical? I think it's just me being a bit varied in my tastes is all.

I grew up with this band - like so many here - and I think we are all entitled to our opinions about this and that. It's part of why this board exists in the first place. I don't think that makes any of us entitled to anything but our opinion. Just like Rocky Dijon is entitled to his opinion of Quit Yer Bitchin.

What each of us wants, and what we are going to get are two VERY different items that shall ne'r intertwine. Plain and Simple

Forgive me please if what I wrote read like a dig at others, especially yourself. That was never my intention.

In fact I find myself in almost complete agreement with what you have written here. The long wait is tedious, the static setlist is the same, the gradual- and understandable - diminishing nature of everything about the band is rather sad in truth.

My point was kind of written to myself as a reminder to not expect anything to change now. The fact is that there are many, many people - good luck to 'em - who will always be happy to go see a Stones concert that repeats almost exactly what was performed 2-3-4 years ago. Perhaps they never really listen to The Stones regularly and so are relatively unfamiliar with the warhorse-rich setlist that is now churned out on each tour? Perhaps they are simply happy to have a night out with friends? Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps...

For a man with the unerring commercial aptitude of Mick Jagger, it is a no-brainer to take the show on the road again, given the money it earns. Especially if little or no changes are required to the setlist, and a core block of say 30 songs is all that is required, from which any single performance will use 18-20 of them.

My main irritation is with myself. I keep hoping, foolishly, that things will change. That a few deep cuts appear on the set list. And not even especially deep either. Tracks like Waiting On A Friend, All Over Now, Little Red Rooster, One Hit To The Body, Harlem Shuffle. Some big hits there. Well known too.

But I doubt any will see the light of day anytime soon...

Being hopeful is never foolish.
As fans, we have every right to question and doubt the decisions being made these days. We also have every right to be skeptical. Of course we are lucky to have them still alive.
But we are also very unlucky that some of them are dead.

Follow the money. Money, money, money, money. That is basically all we ever hear now and I, for one, am tired and disgusted. Yell at me, berate me, disagree with me...whatever. I have an opinion.

And for the few of you that act all high and mighty around here, take your hidden sources and your sanctimonious attitudes and shove them you know where.

I love The Rolling Stones but I do not blindly love THE STONES.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 22, 2023 19:31

Great posts Kurt, GerardHennessy, and VoodooLounge13. thumbs up

Posted by: hymenlips ()
Date: February 22, 2023 20:03

Just spoke with Chicago contact. Concert still listed as postponed but doesn't look good because of conflicts with the Bears.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: February 22, 2023 20:18

Doesn't surprise me about Chicago, plus the last time they played Soldier in the Fall they all looked miserable. Easily worst Stones show I've seen by a mile. Was really looking forward to another Summer Stones show at Soldier but....you can't always get what you want.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: February 22, 2023 20:45

Venue availability will pose a problem for sure. This isn't 2021. A lot more tours out there.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: February 22, 2023 20:58

Can we at least all agree that the Tour, and new album, have to be called Test?

Date: February 22, 2023 21:14

Test would be an upgrade from Grrrrr!

Date: February 22, 2023 22:20

I think the tour will be " 60 and still rolling"

SomeTorontoGirl

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: February 23, 2023 00:01

Denver
Kansas City
Chicago
Cleveland
Boston
NYC
Philadelphia
Miami
Birmingham (or Raleigh, but come on Birmingham!)
Houston
Phoenix
San Fran/Oakland

My guesses (not in order) should a tour eventually come off.. As much as I know Birmingham won't be a stop, I also wouldn't be surprised if it was, and I'd be somewhat psyched)

Posted by: BeastyBurdeny ()
Date: February 23, 2023 00:29

snoopy2
Denver
Kansas City
Chicago
Cleveland
Boston
NYC
Philadelphia
Miami
Houston
Phoenix
San Fran/Oakland

My guesses (not in order) should a tour eventually come off.. As much as I know Birmingham won't be a stop, I also wouldn't be surprised if it was, and I'd be somewhat psyched)

Think there will be a Canadian show in there, considering Edmonton and Van were on the summer list.

Posted by: BFR ()
Date: February 23, 2023 00:46

snoopy2
As much as I know Birmingham won't be a stop, I also wouldn't be surprised if it was, and I'd be somewhat psyched)

I would love to see them play in B'ham. Legacy Arena only holds ~19,000 for a concert. Legion Field does not host concerts anymore. Protective Life Stadium holds 47,000 and would be the most likely venue if The Stones roll through here.

Date: February 23, 2023 00:49

BeastyBurdeny
snoopy2
Denver
Kansas City
Chicago
Cleveland
Boston
NYC
Philadelphia
Miami
Houston
Phoenix
San Fran/Oakland

Think there will be a Canadian show in there, considering Edmonton and Van were on the summer list.

Yes! I was just mentioning my 12 U.S. guesses (rumor was 12 US plus 2 Canadien wasn't it?)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-23 00:53 by snoopy2.

Date: February 23, 2023 00:51

BFR
snoopy2
As much as I know Birmingham won't be a stop, I also wouldn't be surprised if it was, and I'd be somewhat psyched)

I would love to see them play in B'ham. Legacy Arena only holds ~19,000 for a concert. Legion Field does not host concerts anymore. Protective Life Stadium holds 47,000 and would be the most likely venue if The Stones roll through here.

Good to know! I drive down from Shoals area for B'ham day trips but have yet to see a show there

Date: February 23, 2023 01:41

Put em in Bryant Denny!! RTR!

Posted by: swaff ()
Date: February 23, 2023 02:10

Just saw a thread with the Stones album and "TOUR" with McCartney and Ringo?

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: February 23, 2023 03:01

BeastyBurdeny
snoopy2
Denver
Kansas City
Chicago
Cleveland
Boston
NYC
Philadelphia
Miami
Houston
Phoenix
San Fran/Oakland

I didn’t know Vancouver was on summer list.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 23, 2023 05:14

San Diego
Buffalo
Cleveland
Vancouver
And Louisville

Those are the cities that did not get make up dates in 2021 after the tour was canceled in 2020
It looks like Cleveland and Vancouver will have shows. Rumor on this board is that Buffalo is not. That would leave Louisville and San Diego, which might be included this time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-23 05:16 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: February 23, 2023 07:45

SomeTorontoGirl

Somebody was way ahead of you on FB:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-23 07:47 by Topi.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: February 23, 2023 12:38

Rocky Dijon
lem motlow
You know we’re just talking amongst ourselves here, right? This doesn’t get sent to Jaggers email.
You couldn’t be more wrong about the fans being “entitled” that seems to be a popular word people throw around these days.
I’m sure everyone here worked very hard for the money they’ve spent on the Rolling Stones, and I’m sure they’ve been through alot of really fckd up shit in their time.
So put a cork in the” god forbid you ever encounter real tribulation out side of what you listen to for entertainment crap,ok? This isn’t a group of teenagers you’re talking to.
Knock it off with the hissy fit,bitchy posts.

Thanks for sending me to bed without my supper, Dad. I needed that. You and your tough love. You're the best.

If I were your “dad” your existence would amount to a paid in full receipt from an abortion clinic.
From what I’ve seen here, money well spent.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: February 23, 2023 13:00

lem motlow
Rocky Dijon
lem motlow

Knock it off

Thanks for sending me to bed without my supper, Dad.

If I were your “dad” your existence would amount to a paid in full receipt from an abortion clinic.

Could you guys exchanges numbers and move the conversation elsewhere? Much appreciated.smileys with beer

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: February 23, 2023 13:14

Sorry, no

This is what we do between tours.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 23, 2023 14:52

ChatGPT and other AI quotes are all bla bla bla i.e. spam, and will be deleted here on IORR. If you want to discuss AI, then feel to start an Off Topic thread about it.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-23 14:53 by bv.

Posted by: BFR ()
Date: February 23, 2023 17:17

TumblinDice76
Put em in Bryant Denny!! RTR!

RTR! smileys with beer

Saban won't risk the grass during the season, not even for The Stones winking smiley

Posted by: Ram ()
Date: February 23, 2023 17:23

As an alumni, this would be an absolute dream. Plus Nick loves Gimme Shelter. RTR

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8384858687888990919293...LastNext
Current Page: 88 of 123

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1738
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home