Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...107108109110111112113114115116117...LastNext
Current Page: 112 of 123
Re: Stones tour plans 2023
Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: April 20, 2023 13:48

buffalo7478
With all the upfront investment in stage, video, effects, rehearsal, visas, entourage travel, legal work......and maybe most critical, sadly, insurance...an overseas 15-20 date tour has to be challenging. An illness or injury and a show or 2 or cancelled, or sales lagging (70,000 people in each of 30 US stadiums is not happening like in the 70s thru 1981. 42,000-45,000 more like it, if that) or premium ticket sales lag...and they lose loads of money. And the line 'the tour did not cover its cost but the new album is pushing 10 million sold' doesn't get to be used in consolation when record sales are so low and streaming revenue is likely very small compared to what their traditional record income was.

I hope they find their way to everywhere fans are and continue putting on great shows, but it is hard to not consider the business risk

I think you are right on the upfront costs and business risk. However they get a guarantee from each local promoter, so I'm sure they can make money irrespective of ticket sales. No doubt there is a need to help with publicity to boost sales, and maybe they get money above the guarantee if sales exceed a certain level. Then there is the merchandise margin and any sponsorship.

The real financial risk is when gigs need to move or get cancelled. Insurance won't cover anything like the full cost, and re-arranging must cost a lot of extra money - could wipe out the whole tour profit or more. I can't imagine the insurance premium, but for a tour with 15 gigs each guaranteeing $10M I'm guessing its $5M at least, maybe double or triple this.

A new album, even with high sales and downloads, won't make anything like the profit that the band would expect from a tour - its the same for all artists today. And before anyone moans about profiteering, think about doing a disrupted tour and losing $20M .... the profit can be a buffer to avoid a loss.

Date: April 20, 2023 22:54

I think this could be a great scenario

Tour announcement early Nov, tickets on sale mid-November
2 New singles December
Tour rehearlsals and 1 more single January
Tour start and New album early February

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-20 23:01 by DiegoGlimmerStones.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: April 20, 2023 23:44

DiegoGlimmerStones

2 New singles December

I reckon you would have a better chance of seeing Elvis walking naked out of a 7 Eleven than any of this happening……….. more realistically I would suggest a new album release in April 2024 followed by a US tour starting June 2024

Posted by: artedm ()
Date: April 21, 2023 00:53

with talk of the crew that goes into keeping a tour rolling
Trey Anastasio someone who has opened for the Rolling Stones just interviewed Phish's lead truck driver a man named Fred Rice who got his start on the Rolling Stones 1989 Steel Wheels tour which he describes as the start of the stadium spectacle. He talks about how he drove the steel for every third show in 1989 and did 6 other stones tours, but is now the lead driver for Phish.
[www.instagram.com]

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: April 21, 2023 03:05

thecitadel
buffalo7478
With all the upfront investment in stage, video, effects, rehearsal, visas, entourage travel, legal work......and maybe most critical, sadly, insurance...an overseas 15-20 date tour has to be challenging. An illness or injury and a show or 2 or cancelled, or sales lagging (70,000 people in each of 30 US stadiums is not happening like in the 70s thru 1981. 42,000-45,000 more like it, if that) or premium ticket sales lag...and they lose loads of money. And the line 'the tour did not cover its cost but the new album is pushing 10 million sold' doesn't get to be used in consolation when record sales are so low and streaming revenue is likely very small compared to what their traditional record income was.

I hope they find their way to everywhere fans are and continue putting on great shows, but it is hard to not consider the business risk

I think you are right on the upfront costs and business risk. However they get a guarantee from each local promoter, so I'm sure they can make money irrespective of ticket sales. No doubt there is a need to help with publicity to boost sales, and maybe they get money above the guarantee if sales exceed a certain level. Then there is the merchandise margin and any sponsorship.

The real financial risk is when gigs need to move or get cancelled. Insurance won't cover anything like the full cost, and re-arranging must cost a lot of extra money - could wipe out the whole tour profit or more. I can't imagine the insurance premium, but for a tour with 15 gigs each guaranteeing $10M I'm guessing its $5M at least, maybe double or triple this.

A new album, even with high sales and downloads, won't make anything like the profit that the band would expect from a tour - its the same for all artists today. And before anyone moans about profiteering, think about doing a disrupted tour and losing $20M .... the profit can be a buffer to avoid a loss.
If a promoter feels that the band will not sell enough tickets to cover their fees and his profit,they will not promote them,no matter how famous they are.....Its just business.......

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: April 21, 2023 03:21

DiegoGlimmerStones

2 New singles December

If they cannot schedule a tour in 4-6 months, imagining plans a year in advance is completely unrealistic.

The best scenario would be to release the album in the last part of the year and promote it with interviews and videos, the effort is minimal compared to a tour and it would keep them active, essential for people 75-80 years old.

Disappearing until next year would already be a science fiction scenario, nobody can predict anything.

Date: April 21, 2023 03:56

georgelicks
DiegoGlimmerStones

2 New singles December

If they cannot schedule a tour in 4-6 months, imagining plans a year in advance is completely unrealistic.

The best scenario would be to release the album in the last part of the year and promote it with interviews and videos, the effort is minimal compared to a tour and it would keep them active, essential for people 75-80 years old.

Disappearing until next year would already be a science fiction scenario, nobody can predict anything.

Right, hopefully there will be an update or interview soon. We'll see. Patience is the word thumbs up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-21 03:58 by DiegoGlimmerStones.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 21, 2023 04:17

john lomax
DiegoGlimmerStones

2 New singles December

I reckon you would have a better chance of seeing Elvis walking naked out of a 7 Eleven than any of this happening……….. more realistically I would suggest a new album release in April 2024 followed by a US tour starting June 2024

So you think they'll sit on a fully completed album, that we are all fully aware is complete, for a complete year?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 21, 2023 06:57

thecitadel
buffalo7478

I don't know for a fact but this seems reasonable: in one show the Stones make more money than any album sales from a new album being released lately. Where as in 1975, 1978 and 1981, they made way more than record sales as it was - but the mentality was not what it is today.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: April 21, 2023 10:42

bv
Never change a winning team.
Matt Clifford is part of the band.
I don't understand why there is a need to complain about the band at all,
at a time where we should be happy to have them on tour still.

Matt Clifford is currently touring with Iggy Pop , yesterday in LA ;

[www.instagram.com]

Start of a great new short chapter!! ;

[www.instagram.com]

Posted by: welshphil ()
Date: April 21, 2023 11:37

My prediction. Tour to start beginning of May. Òpening date being the New Orleans Jazz Festival.

Date: April 21, 2023 11:43

Lien
bv

[www.instagram.com]

[www.instagram.com]

wow anyone more info?

Seeing Iggy in July. Hope to see Matt there.

Does he do the 'Ladies and Gentleman' thing? Loved that discussion here haha

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: April 21, 2023 12:06

welshphil
My prediction. Tour to start beginning of May. Òpening date being the New Orleans Jazz Festival.

Huh?

Date: April 21, 2023 12:06

PaintMonkeyManBlack
Lien
bv

[www.instagram.com]

[www.instagram.com]

wow anyone more info?

He does the barking on I wanna be your dog ..

Date: April 21, 2023 12:44

Lien
PaintMonkeyManBlack
Lien
bv

[www.instagram.com]

[www.instagram.com]

wow anyone more info?

He does the barking on I wanna be your dog ..
hahaha!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 21, 2023 14:50

Lien
bv

[www.instagram.com]

[www.instagram.com]

Interesting. Also interesting that Matt is somehow persona non grata among certain purist Rolling Stones fan circles, but he seems to alright for Iggy Pop to work with.

- Doxa

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 21, 2023 15:20

On a related note, Andrew Watt produced Iggy's album and was touring with him.

And yes, I realize this means someone will claim Iggy is guesting on the new Stones album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-21 15:21 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 21, 2023 15:29

treaclefingers
john lomax
DiegoGlimmerStones

2 New singles December

So you think they'll sit on a fully completed album, that we are all fully aware is complete, for a complete year?

2015 anyone??

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 21, 2023 15:38

Rocky Dijon

And yes, I realize this means someone will claim Iggy is guesting on the new Stones album.

Yep. Now only the question remains if Iggy is cool enough, or will the album be, once again, doomed by this colloboration.

- Doxa

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: April 21, 2023 15:41

Rocky Dijon

That "someone" will claim just about anything! winking smiley

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: April 21, 2023 16:32

No way! Matt is a member of The Losers?!
Going to see Iggy next weekend in Las Vegas...can't wait!
Happy Birthday IGGY! 76 TODAY.

Date: April 23, 2023 05:45

Rockman
Thanks ....
kinda private stuff though aint it ....

Dont think thats Chuck Leavell though ....

Just noticed this. It's not Chuck, it's Ronnie's father-in-law. Agreed that it sucks to have "candid" photos of people's vacation time published.

Date: April 23, 2023 09:26

Kurt
No way! Matt is a member of The Losers?!
Going to see Iggy next weekend in Las Vegas...can't wait!
Happy Birthday IGGY! 76 TODAY.

Happy Belated Birthday Iggy smileys with beer

Date: April 23, 2023 12:31

Rocky Dijon
Rockman
Thanks ....

Just noticed this. It's not Chuck, it's Ronnie's father-in-law. Agreed that it sucks to have "candid" photos of people's vacation time published.

Agree , but that's not Sally's father , it's the same person ( Lain Parham ?) in this pictures from the Teenage cancer trust charity event [www.instagram.com]

Date: April 24, 2023 00:06

Odd, I thought Iain Parham was the guy in the photo with the glasses.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 24, 2023 00:08

HHHmmmm the plot thickens ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 24, 2023 02:39

Rocky Dijon
Rockman
Thanks ....

Without getting into details, Rose Lane Leavell isn't well at all.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: April 24, 2023 23:21

Very sad news, Elmo...
All the best to her and Chuck.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 24, 2023 23:40

Topi
welshphil

Huh?

i was going to say the same thing.

Posted by: welshphil ()
Date: April 25, 2023 03:38

More Hot Rocks
Topi
welshphil

Huh?

i was going to say the same thing.
I did mean May next year..

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...107108109110111112113114115116117...LastNext
Current Page: 112 of 123

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1801
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home