Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8283848586878889909192...LastNext
Current Page: 87 of 123
Re: Stones tour plans 2023
Posted by: Dan ()
Date: February 21, 2023 20:27

VoodooLounge13
As I just posted on the GNR thread, Guns n Roses just announced a world tour for this year, with US dates in the Fall including Fenway and Wrigley. If there is a shortage of crew available, I wonder how this will now impact the Stones' plans with GNR, Bruce, and many others on tour as well......

There are loads and loads of stadium tours this year, though most outside the classic rock sphere. Supply and labor issues are absolutely affecting touring. That said, it's also an industry that draws a lot of hopefuls so maybe I wouldn't really count on staffing being too much of an issue.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: February 21, 2023 21:35

bv
I don't understand why there are so many strange comments about new albums and tours here in the "Tour 2023" thread.

Fact is these are the Stones albums with Jagger/Richards songs over the past 30+ years. Every time they started touring in North America:

Steel Wheels (1989)
Voodoo Lounge (1994)
Bridges to Babylon (1997)
A Bigger Bang (2005)

Blue & Lonesome (2016) was a blues-covers album, proof of the fact that for every rule, there is an exception.

What happened in the 70's and 80's is not that interesting, it is now 50 or so years ago. Their main market is in North America, very simple.

Are you still saying there will be a new Stones album coming out in june, or is this also postponed?

Posted by: Haki ()
Date: February 21, 2023 21:51

Only based on the knowledge and informantion I have, The Stones has their own road crew that they take with them every tour that cover the necessary areas of the whole production. The biggest problem I can imagine they can encounter is a lack of crew to build the stage, but even that can be flown in from litteraly anywhere in the worldsmiling smiley

Hanna

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 21, 2023 21:54

I think the tour is the boss. An album may be released at any time. We have been waiting since 2005. I am sure we may wait a bit more. Still, they don't ask me what to do. I am sure they will find a way, and I am looking forward to both a new tour and a new album.

Bjornulf

Date: February 21, 2023 21:58

Haki
Only based on the knowledge and informantion I have, The Stones has their own road crew that they take with them every tour that cover the necessary areas of the whole production. The biggest problem I can imagine they can encounter is a lack of crew to build the stage, but even that can be flown in from litteraly anywhere in the worldsmiling smiley

Even the stages are far less complicated than they used to be. They pop up out of trucks, etc. No more building scaffolding for 3 days to hang the production.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 21, 2023 21:58

Topi
ProfessorWolf
it's usually still pretty warm in vancouver thru august

just saying mickwinking smiley

Roofed stadium.

retractable roof stadium

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: February 21, 2023 22:07

Did they reveal the new stage concept for their
2023 US TEST TOUR ?

grinning smiley

Posted by: Haki ()
Date: February 21, 2023 22:17

Dan
Haki

Even the stages are far less complicated than they used to be. They pop up out of trucks, etc. No more building scaffolding for 3 days to hang the production.

Exactly, though.. they do still take a few days to build depending on the size. I didn't find any info on the SIXTY stage, but here's an article on the No Filter stage. Pretty impressive!

[eu.jacksonville.com]

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: February 21, 2023 22:33

bv
I think the tour is the boss. An album may be released at any time. We have been waiting since 2005. I am sure we may wait a bit more. Still, they don't ask me what to do. I am sure they will find a way, and I am looking forward to both a new tour and a new album.

Hmmm! Aren't we all! Waiting I mean. And waiting. And waiting! On and on and on and on....

Meanwhile, none of us is getting any younger...

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: February 21, 2023 22:46

treaclefingers
Topi
ProfessorWolf
it's usually still pretty warm in vancouver thru august

just saying mickwinking smiley

Roofed stadium.

retractable roof stadium

Oh, that's right. But how many days a year can you keep it open in Vancouver? winking smiley

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: February 21, 2023 23:10

Wait...
First we were told that the new album is the boss.
Now we are told that the new tour is the boss ?!

The only thing for certain is that She's the Boss.

Date: February 22, 2023 00:12

Haki
Dan
Haki

Exactly, though.. they do still take a few days to build depending on the size. I didn't find any info on the SIXTY stage, but here's an article on the No Filter stage. Pretty impressive!

[eu.jacksonville.com]

Thanks! Which leads me back to wondering if they would using a more basic set like last year and have some sort of sharing agreement because I am not sure how they could turn over 2 stadium stages if it takes 3 days to build.

Until it turned up on Ticketmaster I found that part highly suspect.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: February 22, 2023 01:03

Kurt
Wait...

I was going to type the same thing! So now, it is all about the tour again, and the album is no longer the priority. Unreal. As someone said elsewhere, I may start losing faith that an actual album is going to materialize at all!!!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 22, 2023 01:16

When you get right down to it, if we cry and kick our feet like this, why do we bother going on at all? They're old men...nearly eighty years old. They must tour! They must give us the album! They must show proof they're healthy! You must show proof of insider knowledge! You must share non-circulating outtakes!

The entitled demands of the spoiled brats all over this forum is either distressing or incredibly entertaining. God help you if you ever encounter real tribulation in your life outside of what you listen to for entertainment.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: February 22, 2023 01:55

Right, two are turning 80 this year.
However, at the moment, the two oldest are still in their 70s, just to keep in mind.

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: February 22, 2023 02:10

Kurt
Wait...

Well, she got the pants on, so that should say something.

Date: February 22, 2023 02:20

Rocky Dijon
When you get right down to it, if we cry and kick our feet like this, why do we bother going on at all? They're old men...nearly eighty years old. They must tour! They must give us the album! They must show proof they're healthy! You must show proof of insider knowledge! You must share non-circulating outtakes!

The entitled demands of the spoiled brats all over this forum is either distressing or incredibly entertaining. God help you if you ever encounter real tribulation in your life outside of what you listen to for entertainment.

Hang on...are you saying we're collectively a little shallow?!

Date: February 22, 2023 02:34

treaclefingers

Nah, I'd say that, generally speaking, deep down we're really shallow.

Date: February 22, 2023 02:38

Rocky Dijon
treaclefingers

Nah, I'd say that, generally speaking, deep down we're really shallow.

It's good to be good at something...or something.

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: February 22, 2023 07:22

After all I'm so glad I was able to see them last year! The Sixty Tour was realy exciting and full of good vibrations and lots of energy.
I'm hoping the best but I'm not sure if this is going to happen again.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: February 22, 2023 11:29

Rocky Dijon

You know we’re just talking amongst ourselves here, right? This doesn’t get sent to Jaggers email.
You couldn’t be more wrong about the fans being “entitled” that seems to be a popular word people throw around these days.
I’m sure everyone here worked very hard for the money they’ve spent on the Rolling Stones, and I’m sure they’ve been through alot of really fckd up shit in their time.
So put a cork in the” god forbid you ever encounter real tribulation out side of what you listen to for entertainment crap,ok? This isn’t a group of teenagers you’re talking to.
Knock it off with the hissy fit,bitchy posts.

Date: February 22, 2023 11:45

lem motlow

You know we’re just talking amongst ourselves here, right? This doesn’t get sent to Jaggers email.

But maybe Jagger is one of us on here. You can guess who he is...

Anyway - I really like the test thing because it showed that things might get real soon(ish).

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 22, 2023 11:53

schwonek
lem motlow

But maybe Jagger is one of us on here. You can guess who he is...

Anyway - I really like the test thing because it showed that things might get real soon(ish).

I've guessed! Boy, why did I not spot this before?? grinning smiley

Date: February 22, 2023 12:32

Rocky Dijon

Spot on Mr Dijon. 100%. Nailed it sir!

Date: February 22, 2023 12:43

VoodooLounge13
Kurt
Wait...

I was going to type the same thing! So now, it is all about the tour again, and the album is no longer the priority. Unreal. As someone said elsewhere, I may start losing faith that an actual album is going to materialize at all!!!

Said statement was probably from me. And 100% NOT said in rancour, bitterness or from a sense of entitlement. More as a kind of world weary 'same old, same old' statement. None of us should either expect or believe anything regarding a tour or an album until it is written in blood and the tickets or the album is actually held in our cold, dead hands.

As Rocky Dijon writes elsewhere in this forum, they are old men, we cannot expect or demand anything more from them. Let us get a sense of perspective about all of this...

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: February 22, 2023 15:18

GerardHennessy
VoodooLounge13
Kurt
Wait...

Said statement was probably from me. And 100% NOT said in rancour, bitterness or from a sense of entitlement. More as a kind of world weary 'same old, same old' statement. None of us should either expect or believe anything regarding a tour or an album until it is written in blood and the tickets or the album is actually held in our cold, dead hands.

As Rocky Dijon writes elsewhere in this forum, they are old men, we cannot expect or demand anything more from them. Let us get a sense of perspective about all of this...

I'm far from bitter or rancid, or feel entitled. I was looking forward to a new album FINALLY!!! Now, it seems as if it has taken a backseat yet AGAIN to another tour of the same ol' package of hits that has been tirelessly shipped across the US and Europe for the past 10-12 years. Hell, even by the end of the ABB I was growing tired of the setlist. Perhaps because I'd been to so many shows at that point. I'm content to never go see them again, honestly. I've seen them my lucky number 13x, and got 3 never before heard live songs in Nashville, 2021, and that had been my goal. Got to go out with my sons, even. The only reason I'd go again is those same 2 boys who so were completely blown away and welcoming the chance to share more of those memories together with them.

However, at the same time, I have grown tired of the same ol, oh there's new music coming down the pike, when it's been 18 years and no real hint of anything happening anytime soon. While at the same time all of their peers keep churning out new records - Bruce, Macca, Neil, Dylan. We sit around here salivating like Pavlov Dogs waiting for any baited clickbait news to devour and bitch over in regards to setlists, show locations, length of shows, the rumored on again off again new album while time eclipses them and us. And I for one am so tired of the argument that a solo artist is not the same as getting a whole band together. Bruce uses the same damn band all the time, and it's been that way since the start. Every few years him and the E Street get back together and hammer out the songs. Yeah, OK him, Dylan, Neil, and Macca write most of the material and don't have the same limiting sandbox that Jagger/Richards impose on who can be a songwriter on record, but it's still setting aside times out of all of their band members' schedules to come and record a new album and then tour behind it - wow such a novel idea.

And now the rumor of Paul and Ringo on the new album, along with Andrew Watt producing. Watt's worked with both Paul and Dua Lipa, so her involvement also seems highly likely, so I'm of the mindset that whomever has stopped by the studio will most likely be on the album in some way shape or form. And with the number of guests, it does harken back to the old days, and if and when we do ever get a new album, I - like many of us here - will devour it insatiably and will probably listen to it longer'n the 6 months straight that I listened to ABB. But at this point, I'm inclined to think it will either be the most brilliant thing they've done in decades or the biggest pile of crap since the ER/U era. I really don't know. But like many here, I'm very anxious for new music - NEW music. Not nasally, over-enunciated vocals laid on top of 50 year old basic tracks. Criss Cross was the best damn thing they've released in decades. It's phenomenal. I listen to it all the time. How a song like that sat in the vaults for all these years, I'll never know! It's brilliant, a masterpiece.

I wish Jagger & Keef could bury the hatchet and really write like in the days of old. It ain't gonna happen. I wish Jagger would stop thinking so much and be so damned worried about trying to craft the perfect Stones song, because when he's not trying too much is when he writes some of his best stuff (Jump On Top of Me, Cook Cook Blues, Fancy Man Blues). Just let it flow. And sing naturally. Without whatever effects distract from B&L.

Concert-wise, the setlist needs an overhaul. I've said this before. The musical director has grown far too complacent. They've been schlepping the same basic list around for far too long now. I am glad that some songs have gotten a reprieve, but the catalog is so vast, and again, their peers blow them away from a song selection standpoint. Sometimes I wonder if they could handle the variations that many of us wish for them to do. And at the same time, all of us - well most of us - have no problem shelling out the $100's to go see the same basic show over and over and over and over again. There are about 3 song slots each night that really change at all. With a new album, we will get new songs, which I greatly welcome, but for Keef's spot, he'll play a new tune, and then it'll be either Happy or BTMMR, so any variation or chance of hearing CBS or T&T is out the door. For me, going to a Stones show these days is like going to a frat party. You know exactly what you're getting and it's just one big party. I enjoy it all as much as the next person, but if the fire is now gone from the Sympathy number, and the long devilish coats have been gone for awhile, BS is now not PC to be sung, the stages are getting simpler, the spectacle is getting less and less spectacular. And for someone who grew up with the band in the Post-Bill period and knows ONLY the spectacularness of the ginormous stages and all the special effects, that is what I want. That is what I shell out 100's and 100's and 100's of dollars to see. In a Stadium. That is what made this band my very favorite in the first place, and topple The Beatles out of that spot and so far down my list now, that I RARELY ever listen to them!!! Watching that bridge come out of the stage toward mid-field at Foxboro. The band OPENING with Satisfaction!!! A show filled with about 50% of songs I'd never heard before!!!! And I was hooked! I was blown away. And I can't be the only person who's felt that way. I think they underestimate how much some of their less popular songs are known and loved - OOT proved that last summer.

Now all that being said, No Security, with all of its simplicity, remains my very favorite tour - the minimalist of the stage, the construction-like zone of the intro and tape all over the place. No Satisfaction, the incredibly varied setlist. Sitting right behind the stage and having the whole band right there in front of me!?!?!?!?! Amazing!!!! Is that hypocritical? I think it's just me being a bit varied in my tastes is all.

I grew up with this band - like so many here - and I think we are all entitled to our opinions about this and that. It's part of why this board exists in the first place. I don't think that makes any of us entitled to anything but our opinion. Just like Rocky Dijon is entitled to his opinion of Quit Yer Bitchin.

What each of us wants, and what we are going to get are two VERY different items that shall ne'r intertwine. Plain and Simple

Date: February 22, 2023 15:28

VoodooLounge13
Concert-wise, the setlist needs an overhaul. They've been schlepping the same basic list around for far too long now.

I was at the Waldbühne concert - their latest gig. I was there with my son and my mother. Both like the Stones but are not a massive fan like I am. I was thrilled about All Down The Line, Rocks Off, Fool To Cry - they didnt know those songs at all. They wanted to listen to the big hits (basic list) as do most of the concert goers that see them the first time. We have to face that.
So I am hoping for a tour packed with hits and a few gems here and there. They will rock - I have no doubt! I always feel very entertained - also by Miss You, Tumbling Dice and so on.

Date: February 22, 2023 15:30

lem motlow
You couldn’t be more wrong about the fans being “entitled” that seems to be a popular word people throw around these days.
I’m sure everyone here worked very hard for the money they’ve spent on the Rolling Stones, and I’m sure they’ve been through alot of really fckd up shit in their time.
So put a cork in the” god forbid you ever encounter real tribulation out side of what you listen to for entertainment crap,ok? This isn’t a group of teenagers you’re talking to.
Knock it off with the hissy fit,bitchy posts.

Thanks for sending me to bed without my supper, Dad. I needed that. You and your tough love. You're the best.

Date: February 22, 2023 15:32

angee
Right, two are turning 80 this year.
However, at the moment, the two oldest are still in their 70s, just to keep in mind.

That makes a massive difference of course!!!

Date: February 22, 2023 15:32

<Now, it seems as if it has taken a backseat yet AGAIN to another tour of the same ol' package of hits that has been tirelessly shipped across the US and Europe for the past 10-12 years>

Does it? That's not the way I read Bjørnulf's post. «The tour is the boss» could mean that the album won't come out weeks or months before the tour, but round the time the tour starts.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8283848586878889909192...LastNext
Current Page: 87 of 123

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1399
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home