Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930...LastNext
Current Page: 25 of 123
Re: Stones tour plans 2023
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 13, 2022 12:45

The thought of the typical Vegas style residency leaves me cold...

...but short "residencies" in large arena type venues could be a good move.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: September 13, 2022 13:00

Why should they play four shows with 20.000 people per concert if they can have a stadium show and play to the same 80.000 people all at once?

Date: September 13, 2022 13:56

Yes, that's the issue with it.

I've often wished in a strange way that their popularity had not been so enduring.

They could then have reverted to playing smaller venues with set lists tp please themselves and we keen fans.

Problem with that is, had their mass market popularity waned, they likely wouldn't have stayed together and we wouldn't now have them at all

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 13, 2022 13:58

StonedRambler
Why should they play four shows with 20.000 people per concert if they can have a stadium show and play to the same 80.000 people all at once?

The average stadium crowd is not 80,000 but more like 50,000 or below that. Just two of the shows during the USA 2021 Tour were more than 50,000 crowds.

There are many arena size venues with capacity 25,000 to 29,000 in USA, and elsewhere in the world. They are able to have higher ticket prices in arena shows, and running cost is much lower.

The stadium show in Stockholm 2021 had an average ticket price of $138, while the arena show in Berlin at Waldbühne had an average ticket price of $269, i.e. nearly twice as much.

The main reason why they play stadium shows is for reaching out to as many fans as possible. Still, the economy and the income is of course an important factor too.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 13, 2022 14:21

StonedRambler

They could be more independent of the weather conditions in an arena and could play shows beyond the summer - e.g. like NYC/NJ in December 2012 or Tokyo in February 1990.

Date: September 13, 2022 14:31

Irix
StonedRambler

They could be more independent of the weather conditions in an arena and could play shows beyond the summer - e.g. like NYC/NJ in December 2012 or Tokyo in February 1990.

Very true thumbs up

Posted by: JAF4JJF ()
Date: September 13, 2022 14:38

I saw an article from the UK a little over a month ago that there are plans for Australia! I would love that!

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 13, 2022 14:58

Irix
StonedRambler

A better option from the capacity/financial standpoint would be to play roofed stadiums (case in point: No Filter Europe 2017). 8 of the 14 shows they played that tour had a roof. And the tour extended well beyond the summer.

Date: September 13, 2022 16:31

bv
StonedRambler

The average stadium crowd is not 80,000 but more like 50,000 or below that. Just two of the shows during the USA 2021 Tour were more than 50,000 crowds.

There are many arena size venues with capacity 25,000 to 29,000 in USA, and elsewhere in the world. They are able to have higher ticket prices in arena shows, and running cost is much lower.

The stadium show in Stockholm 2021 had an average ticket price of $138, while the arena show in Berlin at Waldbühne had an average ticket price of $269, i.e. nearly twice as much.

The main reason why they play stadium shows is for reaching out to as many fans as possible. Still, the economy and the income is of course an important factor too.
I admit 80.000 was a bit of an exaggeration but you could still ask the same question and choose other numbers - why they should play a 25,000 arena if they could play a 50,000?

While the average ticket price in Berlin was in fact higher the prices of the ticket categories were almost identical to the top categories in Munich - only that Munich has some additional cheaper categories like GA, Silver Pit and the rear seats on top of that. So I would guess they still made a lot more money in Munich than in Berlin but I haven't seen any boxscores yet.

But logistics might be an important point indeed, especially in days like these where personal and material is expensive and also due to the inflation fewer people might be willing to spend their money on stadium concert tickets. I guess we'll see!

Posted by: RollstoDRSC ()
Date: September 13, 2022 23:15

For me this could only when they bring out their new album after 17 years!!!
I think we all have seen enough "Best of" tours with one or two new ones live.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: September 14, 2022 01:52

RollstoDRSC
For me this could only when they bring out their new album after 17 years!!!
I think we all have seen enough "Best of" tours with one or two new ones live.

Personally speaking I completely agree with your point. However I suspect you and I are very much in a minority. The fact is that, for many thousands of people, Stones concerts are EVENTS rather than purely musical occasions. I know many many people who have little interest in really LISTENING to music regularly. What they do is occasionally have music playing, almost incidentally, as a backdrop to their day. Maybe as they have a coffee, do various chores around their apartment, or when driving. Perfectly pleasant, but hardly something of real significance. Many people like that go to Stones concerts. They don't actively listen to The Stones music on a daily, or even weekly basis. If whatever station they listen to plays a Stones track they will hum along to it. And of course the tracks they will hear in this way are almost certainly warhorses. Then when The Stones come play in their area, those numbers are the ones they will want to hear in concert.

I intend no disrespect to anyone who listens to music in this way. And of course I intend no disrespect to anyone who attends The Stones greatest hits concerts. I'm simply trying to explain why the band can be said to have two almost totally separate fan bases. Those who like the big hits they hear on gold radio stations, while others of us who really immerse ourselves in the band, buy their albums, and explore their deep cuts, yearn for something a little less frequently performed.

Neither group of fans is superior to, or inferior to, the other. They are simply different to each other. And there is room for all of us in Stonesland.

Posted by: BeastyBurdeny ()
Date: September 14, 2022 01:58

JAF4JJF
I saw an article from the UK a little over a month ago that there are plans for Australia! I would love that!

Is DailyMail a credible news source?

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: September 14, 2022 02:25

bv
StonedRambler

Hi BV, I don't think there are any 25-29k seat arenas in the US. Largest arena for NHL is United Centre Chicago which holds 22000 for hockey. Majority of all NHL/NBA arenas hold 18-21k and then less for concerts unless you're doing in the round like Roger Waters current tour.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: September 14, 2022 03:39

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-09-14 03:39 by colonial.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: September 14, 2022 17:01

BeastyBurdeny
JAF4JJF

No! It most certainly is not. Any reference to bands like The Stones will be 3rd/4th hand at best. I'd go further and say that seeing such a story in the Daily Mail is almost a guarantee it will NOT happen...

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: September 14, 2022 17:34

Irix
StonedRambler

To set the record straight, Tokyo Dome where the Stones played ten shows in February 1990, is an indoor stadium of a capacity of 50,000, more or less, not an arena.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Date: September 14, 2022 18:01

BeastyBurdeny
JAF4JJF

There is a reason why they call it «The Daily Fail» winking smiley

Date: September 14, 2022 22:43

DandelionPowderman
BeastyBurdeny
JAF4JJF

that's what I figured, after looking at their site. Fore some reason people are running with that article here and on Shidoobee as though it's the gospel truth.

Date: September 15, 2022 07:22

BeastyBurdeny
DandelionPowderman

that's what I figured, after looking at their site. Fore some reason people are running with that article here and on Shidoobee as though it's the gospel truth.

Are they really?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-09-15 07:24 by Topi.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 15, 2022 14:56

They could tour big cities every year in large markets like USA and Europe. Still, high on the list now would still be Australia and NZ, also Japan.

Bjornulf

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: September 15, 2022 18:59

They could touring "only" these three countries with 14 gigs...Six gigs in Japan and eight in Aussie/NZ or so.
I think that we'll have an Australasian Tour in Feb./March next year.

Posted by: welshphil ()
Date: September 15, 2022 20:42

If the Daily Mail says there's a tour of Australia next year . Then there won't be , So looks like Europe 2 ,South Anerica or USA in that order ..

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: September 15, 2022 21:18

StonedRambler

Hardcore fans can only buy 1 ticket for a 80.000 people show,
while lots of those fans will by 4 tickets for all 4 shows.
I guess in the end they may sell tickets easier.

Date: September 16, 2022 00:04

welshphil
If the Daily Mail says there's a tour of Australia next year . Then there won't be , So looks like Europe 2 ,South Anerica or USA in that order ..

Didn't the big South American tour promoter, responsible for bringing the Stones to South America previously, say SA isn't happening next year?

I feel like all the info/rumours for next year are spiralling in circles spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: September 16, 2022 09:35

falo01
StonedRambler

In that equation, you also have to take into account the band's guaranteed fee, rumored to be well north of 5 million US per show by now. They obviously would require that fee per show, not over four shows.

The guarantee is definitely a major reason they're generally booked to larger venues. If you're the promoter, how do you set ticket prices for an arena show in order to meet the guarantee - and still make a buck yourself? Bruce Springsteen's 2023 US arena prices give you an idea - but for the Stones it would be more. (Springsteen's fee per show is rumored to be 4 million dollars)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-09-16 09:39 by Topi.

Date: September 16, 2022 10:40

Topi
falo01
StonedRambler

In that equation, you also have to take into account the band's guaranteed fee, rumored to be well north of 5 million US per show by now. They obviously would require that fee per show, not over four shows.

The guarantee is definitely a major reason they're generally booked to larger venues. If you're the promoter, how do you set ticket prices for an arena show in order to meet the guarantee - and still make a buck yourself? Bruce Springsteen's 2023 US arena prices give you an idea - but for the Stones it would be more. (Springsteen's fee per show is rumored to be 4 million dollars)
Good point Topi! So I guess their fee is the same for stadium shows and arena shows?

Date: September 16, 2022 10:42

I don't see a reason why it shouldn't be. Obviously I have no way of knowing. But it's not likely they're giving any kinds of "arena discounts". winking smiley

I guess they have basically priced themselves out of arenas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-09-16 11:05 by Topi.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: September 16, 2022 11:20

Just following the discussion there have been exceptions. Glastonbury for example I believe I read somewhere was a much reduced fee as they wanted to do it. And I guess the marketing of Havana or Rio (or Beacon Theatre or Fonda) also took into account the movie and additonal album sales. So I don't think 5 million is set in stone (excuse the pun)

Date: September 16, 2022 12:00

Yes, of course it's a matter of negotiation.

If you look at Havana and Rio, they had a sponsor who paid for those shows and as you pointed out, they also put them out as (or part of) an official release.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 16, 2022 12:10

exhpart

So I don't think 5 million is set in stone (excuse the pun)

Especially with the sharp rise in energy costs and the high inflation - people would probably no longer pay the high (or even higher) ticket prices.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930...LastNext
Current Page: 25 of 123

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1768
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home