Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526...LastNext
Current Page: 21 of 123
Re: Stones tour plans 2023
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 15, 2022 21:22

GeirGG
In my opinion the 60 tour was great for 2022, but will seem a bit daft in 2023. I think the rather cheap stage and not so good lights of this tour could be a signal that the «60» thing was just that - a one off. It would give them a chance to come up with something spectacular for the next tour. Also I don’t think they want to to do «60» til they drop/stop (hopefully lightyears from now) - that is just a bit uncool in my humble opinion.

Yes they should ditch the rather cheap stage, and brighten it up a bit more, and maybe come up with an entirely different name and new theme.
They could start where they finished by playing smaller venues as they did in Berlin (capacity apprx. 20,000)- arguably the best show of the summer, and no cheap stage in sight.
Or if stadiums are the only way to make it happen, a single massive screen ala Desert Trip would be much less distracting than the confusing chaotic eyesore of the red/orange/yellow design
And whether they keep the SIXTY theme or not, they could make it more celebratory by bringing in Bill and/or MT for a show as I previously mentioned, though that might be hoping for too much.
Whatever happens, it will be good to see them continuing on anywhere and in any way...hard to imagine the day when the Stones stop rolling...North America 2023 certainly has a nice ring to it...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-15 21:23 by Hairball.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: August 15, 2022 21:35

The stage they had at Waldbühne was really scaled down. Like, no frills at all. So is that better than the "Sixty" stage they had the rest of the way (except for Hyde Park, where they used the BST festival stage)?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-15 21:39 by Topi.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 15, 2022 21:38

The setup at Hyde Park seemed like a practical joke. They could have made full use of the screen but intended not to

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: August 15, 2022 21:40

Nikkei
The setup at Hyde Park seemed like a practical joke. They could have made full use of the screen but intended not to

They used the full screen for some songs.

Date: August 15, 2022 21:41

The Hyde Park stage still looked better to me than the "Sixty" stage did.

Yes, the "Sixty" stage design does look cheap and probably is cheap - after all, all they hauled around were the screens, the decorated frames and the catwalk, while the actual stage was just a standard festival stage rented out locally.

But there's a reason they saved on logistics costs. I don't think they'll change to a more expensive alternative for next year. Look for the "Sixty" stage to make a comeback.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-15 21:46 by Topi.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 15, 2022 21:42

I must admit I didn't watch all of it. It just looked so promising with the leafy background and then suddenly there is the red and yellow. Hmm

Date: August 15, 2022 21:43

Smaller venues...simplified stage...less is better imo.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 15, 2022 21:46

Hairball
GeirGG
In my opinion the 60 tour was great for 2022, but will seem a bit daft in 2023. I think the rather cheap stage and not so good lights of this tour could be a signal that the «60» thing was just that - a one off. It would give them a chance to come up with something spectacular for the next tour. Also I don’t think they want to to do «60» til they drop/stop (hopefully lightyears from now) - that is just a bit uncool in my humble opinion.

Yes they should ditch the rather cheap stage, and brighten it up a bit more, and maybe come up with an entirely different name and new theme.
They could start where they finished by playing smaller venues as they did in Berlin (capacity apprx. 20,000)- arguably the best show of the summer, and no cheap stage in sight.
Or if stadiums are the only way to make it happen, a single massive screen ala Desert Trip would be much less distracting than the confusing chaotic eyesore of the red/orange/yellow design
And whether they keep the SIXTY theme or not, they could make it more celebratory by bringing in Bill and/or MT for a show as I previously mentioned, though that might be hoping for too much.
Whatever happens, it will be good to see them continuing on anywhere and in any way...hard to imagine the day when the Stones stop rolling...North America 2023 certainly has a nice ring to it...

A much better alternative for 2023 than a 60 Tour theme would be to finish the studio album and use its title as tour name, by including five or six songs from it in the setlists.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-15 21:49 by Witness.

Date: August 15, 2022 21:54

I hear ya on that one, Hairball. I never really cared about all those big stage designs that much, to be honest. Well, No Filter with the four big screens obviously looked great. But you guys remember the Licks stage? Nothing super fancy, but it did the job. (But hey, I try to get close enough so the stage design doesn't matter! winking smiley)

Now, smaller venues would definitely be great, just not sure how the economics are gonna work with that.

But if I had to bet, I'd say this year's stage will be back. Purely for budgetary reasons.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-15 22:01 by Topi.

Date: August 15, 2022 22:00

Witness
Hairball
GeirGG

A much better alternative for 2023 than a 60 Tour theme would be to finish the studio album and use its title as tour name, by including five or six songs from it in the setlists.

Of course Witness, but similar to hoping that Bill and/or MT could be included for a show, that might be asking for too much - WAY too much.
In fact a new studio album seems almost an impossibility at this point, but miracles can happen...never say never...keep the faith...fingers crossed.
A new album + a new tour + a new theme + five or six new songs in the setlist = a recipe for absolute greatness.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: August 16, 2022 01:19

Room1009
RisingStone
I have noticed one thing. The Rolling Stones played the Tokyo Dome 29 times between 1990 and 2014, which has made it the dome they played more often than its cousins anywhere else in the world.

Being picky I know, but I count 28 x Dome plus x 1 x Budokan.

1990 x10
1995 x7
1998 x4
2003 x3 (includes Budokan)
2006 x2
2014 x3

Please tell me what I got wrong, I like my data set to be correct!

Oops. You are right. I stand corrected.

Still their performances at the Tokyo Dome beat the other domes in numbers, I assumewinking smiley

Posted by: calipachangero ()
Date: August 16, 2022 11:13

They should use the giant screen U2 used in 2017 for the Joshua Tree tour. Or one similar, but that stage and screen must be somewhere in storage I guess?

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: August 16, 2022 18:48

calipachangero
They should use the giant screen U2 used in 2017 for the Joshua Tree tour. Or one similar, but that stage and screen must be somewhere in storage I guess?

Now these screens are not one huge screen but small panels connected together. They can be as large or small as they want. If one goes bad they replace it.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: August 16, 2022 19:38

calipachangero

Just put the 4 No Filter screens together to a giant wall. I had a good seat at Gelsenkirchen and the side screens were way too small. The middle screen was bigger but I could only See half of it lower Bowl on the height of the mixing desk.

The Filter screens were even impressive from the back of the stadium.

Posted by: satisfaction2 ()
Date: August 16, 2022 20:42

Topi
The stage they had at Waldbühne was really scaled down. Like, no frills at all. So is that better than the "Sixty" stage they had the rest of the way (except for Hyde Park, where they used the BST festival stage)?

The stage at Waldbühne Berlin was no Stones stage. It was the Waldbühne stage.

Date: August 16, 2022 21:31

Yes - in fact, the Stones did not have a stage of their own at any of the shows this year. The base stage was provided locally.

Where applicable, the Stones only brought the frames/decorations, the screens and the catwalk etc.

Similar arrangement to 2014.

The actual stage was used by other acts at the same venue, as was the case in Milan, Vienna and Paris at least. (Thanks to erikjjf for pointing that out earlier!)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-16 21:40 by Topi.

Date: August 19, 2022 01:47

bv
georgelicks
River Plate Stadium in Buenos Aires is there ready for 3-4 shows next year, or as soon as they can come up with a plan, probably including Sao Paulo, Mexico City and a few ones in USA.

They can sell out 5 or more shows in Argentina in a day, the demand is very high, Coldplay sold out 10 shows in record time, Harry Styles 3 shows in a single day, the problem is the 3 days off between shows, they can't book the River Plate stadium during two weeks for 3-4 shows only.

It is all a matter of price. And time. Coldplay do 10 shows in 15 days in Buenos Aires. The Rolling Stones pay for the venue, 16-20 days for four shows, the ticket prices will be higher, but they will do four shows or so at River Plate whenever the rest of that part of a tour could be ready.

The main challenge is the fact that the entire world want to have The Rolling Stones coming to do shows, but they do not play that many shows per year these days.

Harry styles is 28 years old. Chris Martin of Coldplay is 45. Mick is 79. Keith is 78. The Stones did 100+ shows per year 20-30 years ago, not anymore.

It is exactly the problem raised by the producer who brought the Stones to Argentina in 1995, 1998, 2006 and 2016. They can sell out 5 shows in the first days of sales (as has already happened), but in a recent interview producer Daniel Grinbank commented on the difficulty of reserving the stadium for so many days since it must be used for football matches. He also commented that there are no plans to bring them to Argentina or Brazil in 2023. So there will be NO shows in South America, at least in the first half of the year (who knows in the second half...).

In recent years they have been doing 1 tour per year. So don't expect anything for October this year, and don't expect a tour of two legs for 2023. So within the possibilities I expect:

1- "Europe 2" (as they did in 2017 and 2018), completing cities that they did not visit this year, such as Barcelona, Rome, Frankfurt, Marseille, plus some repeated classics like Paris or London, plus some "not so common" like Oslo/Helsinki, Lisbon?, Budapest/Prague, etc.

2- Australia

pd: In any case, I do not lose hope of receiving the band again in the stonest country in the world in October / November 2023
smiling smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-19 01:52 by StonesBuenosAires.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 19, 2022 12:18

Interesting that the anniversary tour stage was designed specifically for Europe in the summertime. I don't believe we'll see it again .. whether we see a new one is yet to be determined, but it does help explain the minimalist aspects of the sixty stage design.

"W*: What are the most important elements of the stage design for the Sixty tour?

MN: When tours like this [go to] other parts of the world [other than Europe], quite early on in the performance, night has fallen and the stage becomes an opportunity for lighting designers to make something of it.

But when you’re touring in Europe in summer, in most cases it doesn’t get dark until 10.30 at night, so the show needs to have a physical form that works in daylight. I don’t always do material that is so viscerally central to the look of the stage, but on this occasion, I got asked whether I could contribute to the look of that daylight form, because it had to be a big static printed piece of art.

This great big piece of art has to be – excuse the rock ’n’ roll language – a bit f uc k off. You want something that says you have arrived at a Rolling Stone stage. Because we’re working in a world now where branding moves, whereas it didn’t 33 years ago. You must consider all of the social media components; when you’re designing a mark, you’re also thinking about how it can be eye candy, how it can attract somebody’s attention in the top corner of the screen. So it’s the same idea as it was 33 years ago, but it’s done using the media of the moment, for the medium of the moment.
[www.wallpaper.com]

Date: August 19, 2022 12:25

MisterDDDD
Interesting that the anniversary tour stage was designed specifically for Europe in the summertime. I don't believe we'll see it again .. whether we see a new one is yet to be determined, but it does help explain the minimalist aspects of the sixty stage design.

"W*: What are the most important elements of the stage design for the Sixty tour?

MN: When tours like this [go to] other parts of the world [other than Europe], quite early on in the performance, night has fallen and the stage becomes an opportunity for lighting designers to make something of it.

But when you’re touring in Europe in summer, in most cases it doesn’t get dark until 10.30 at night, so the show needs to have a physical form that works in daylight. I don’t always do material that is so viscerally central to the look of the stage, but on this occasion, I got asked whether I could contribute to the look of that daylight form, because it had to be a big static printed piece of art.

This great big piece of art has to be – excuse the rock ’n’ roll language – a bit f uc k off. You want something that says you have arrived at a Rolling Stone stage. Because we’re working in a world now where branding moves, whereas it didn’t 33 years ago. You must consider all of the social media components; when you’re designing a mark, you’re also thinking about how it can be eye candy, how it can attract somebody’s attention in the top corner of the screen. So it’s the same idea as it was 33 years ago, but it’s done using the media of the moment, for the medium of the moment.
[www.wallpaper.com]

They show pictures of the No Filter stage and call it the Sixy stage grinning smiley

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 19, 2022 12:38

Some folks I think yearn for the "shock and awe" of the fire breathing cobras and cathedral like architecture of the 90's stadium stages.

You don't need them so much today partly because the quality and size of the big screens is now so much enhanced.

They can be the focus of the stage set up, rather than the peripheral add ons.

Surely nice big clear images are the most helpful thing for stadium conert goers?

Date: August 19, 2022 13:00

Spud
Some folks I think yearn for the "shock and awe" of the fire breathing cobras and cathedral like architecture of the 90's stadium stages.

You don't need them so much today partly because the quality and size of the big screens is now so much enhanced.

They can be the focus of the stage set up, rather than the peripheral add ons.

Surely nice big clear images are the most helpful thing for stadium conert goers?

And exactly this was missing for the Sixty stage. The big screen in the middle could only be seen by 30% of the crowd and the side screens were very small.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 19, 2022 13:13

I take your point...that's not good.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 19, 2022 13:13

hockenheim95

They show pictures of the No Filter stage and call it the Sixy stage grinning smiley

Messed up on the lead photo caption, but they do show several of their stage designs including the Sixty stage.

[www.wallpaper.com]

Date: August 19, 2022 14:27

MisterDDDD
hockenheim95

Messed up on the lead photo caption, but they do show several of their stage designs including the Sixty stage.

[www.wallpaper.com]

Not only there. 4 pictures are labelled as Sixty Stage and 3 of them are the No Filter Stage.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 19, 2022 21:06

It should be about the music first. Which is why I still have a soft spot for No Security. An arena tour with few frills, and crime scene black and yellow tape.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: August 19, 2022 21:23

Topi
Yes - in fact, the Stones did not have a stage of their own at any of the shows this year. The base stage was provided locally.

Where applicable, the Stones only brought the frames/decorations, the screens and the catwalk etc.

Similar arrangement to 2014.

The actual stage was used by other acts at the same venue, as was the case in Milan, Vienna and Paris at least. (Thanks to erikjjf for pointing that out earlier!)

Wait, you mean to tell me they don't have 10 airplane hangars somewhere with all their stages?

This is actually very common in stadium touring now. Megapromoters have their own infrastructure and will often book multiple events the same time period to cut down on costs.

Stadium stages are a lot less complicated than they used to. They basically pop up out of trucks without spending 3 days building a scaffolding set.

The No Filter stage looked custom built but I am sure a lot of the material is already being reused elsewhere.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: August 20, 2022 02:39

Does anyone know if the Stones organization kept the tongue pit stage?

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: August 20, 2022 06:29

Nikkei
I must admit I didn't watch all of it. It just looked so promising with the leafy background and then suddenly there is the red and yellow. Hmm

The Hyde Park stage is owned by the venue and used by every act during the summer, since 2013. Different groups make different amount of use of it - Pearl Jam, for instance, who never have screens behind them normally, did turn it on for a few songs, to pretty dramatic effect. But it’s not brought in by the bands. Funnily, it’s the same stage/screen/fake plastic tree that the Stones played in front of in 2013.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 20, 2022 08:15

Not that it's because it's their point in their career but all the speak going on about a band "doing their part" regarding climate change etc...

Come on.

What did Mick say in 2005 about the stage?

2022 is not then, I get that, and the way things work this year is just that.

They can certainly afford having whatever stage they want. They opt not to.

Shall they continue... especially if there's some kind of announcement about the tour NOT being an announcement....

You follow.

2023 will be it.

With the biggest stage ever. At least for the Stones.

Posted by: satisfaction2 ()
Date: August 20, 2022 10:10

tommycharles
Nikkei

The Hyde Park stage is owned by the venue and used by every act during the summer, since 2013. Different groups make different amount of use of it - Pearl Jam, for instance, who never have screens behind them normally, did turn it on for a few songs, to pretty dramatic effect. But it’s not brought in by the bands. Funnily, it’s the same stage/screen/fake plastic tree that the Stones played in front of in 2013.

Same in Berlin. Stage must be used by every band. Only the catwalk was brought by the Stones.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526...LastNext
Current Page: 21 of 123

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1890
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home