Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 123
Re: Stones tour plans 2023
Posted by: wickerman ()
Date: August 9, 2022 20:23

Would love an idea of Stones residency in NYC, LA or/and London. Hopefully playing arenas again.

I think due to logistics, covid uncertainty and time zone changes, they will switch to one-two time zones. So either a small-scale US tour, or Europe pt. 2.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 9, 2022 20:32

georgelicks
No tour in 2023 in Argentina, confirmed by the Argentinean promoter of the 95, 98, 2006 and 2016 shows:
[www.lanacion.com.ar]

Current offers for 2023:
- Asia/Australia
- 10 shows in New York

10 shows in NY seems like it would have the advantage considering there would be no travel from one show to the next,
Keith lives nearby, lots of studios if they wish to record some new material, etc., etc., etc. Similar to a Vegas residency, yet in New York...

Posted by: Dougratajczak87 ()
Date: August 9, 2022 21:52

Nikkei
Taylor couldn't cover for Ron. Ron is integral. I've watched Taylor solo on CYHMK at Glastonbury again and once you've gotten over the fact that it's him with the Stones you have to admit it's pretty dreadful. Ronnie certainly did it better this year.

Would politely suggest not basing on an opinion of a performer on one performance.

I'm sure we could all find terrible performances by all of the Stones and come to the same conclusion based on that sample size.

With all due respect to Ronnie, generally speaking, I find Taylor to be the better player between the two of them.

Here's a clip of Can't You Hear Me Knockin in Chicago 2013 where Taylor nails the performance.

[www.youtube.com]

On a different note, when they get to the point that Ronnie can't consistently play, then just maybe it would be best to call it a day.

I can remember for a long time, Ronnie used to carry the weight for Keith with Charlie and Ronnie offsetting Keith's performances (my opinion).

Don't see Keith and Mick being able to consistently carry the weight of the entire group with Steve Jordan on drums if Ronnie has challenges in the longer term.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-09 21:53 by Dougratajczak87.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: August 9, 2022 22:05

Dougratajczak87
Nikkei
Taylor couldn't cover for Ron. Ron is integral. I've watched Taylor solo on CYHMK at Glastonbury again and once you've gotten over the fact that it's him with the Stones you have to admit it's pretty dreadful. Ronnie certainly did it better this year.

Would politely suggest not basing on an opinion of a performer on one performance.

I'm sure we could all find terrible performances by all of the Stones and come to the same conclusion based on that sample size.

With all due respect to Ronnie, generally speaking, I find Taylor to be the better player between the two of them.

Here's a clip of Can't You Hear Me Knockin in Chicago 2013 where Taylor nails the performance.

[www.youtube.com]

On a different note, when they get to the point that Ronnie can't consistently play, then just maybe it would be best to call it a day.

I can remember for a long time, Ronnie used to carry the weight for Keith with Charlie and Ronnie offsetting Keith's performances (my opinion).

Don't see Keith and Mick being able to consistently carry the weight of the entire group with Steve Jordan on drums if Ronnie has challenges in the longer term.

Great post and i can't see how anyone could possibly argue with any of the points you raised.

Posted by: GeirGG ()
Date: August 9, 2022 22:30

I really hope they wont land on the 10 concerts in NYC. That does not sound exciting whatsoever, and I fear that would be the beginning of the end.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: August 9, 2022 22:33

GeirGG
I really hope they wont land on the 10 concerts in NYC. That does not sound exciting whatsoever, and I fear that would be the beginning of the end.

This sounds way exciting to me, like more setlist changes, video etc. (I don't necessarily have to go to any of these shows but really wanna go back to New York)

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 9, 2022 22:35

Ah but you know what I'm on about. Basically I never "judge" performances anyway. I meant to say that Ronnie performs integral functions that have nothing to do with his level of playing and Taylor is precisely on the opposite end there, he introduces some maximum awkwardness on the stage.

Date: August 9, 2022 22:37

georgelicks
No tour in 2023 in Argentina, confirmed by the Argentinean promoter of the 95, 98, 2006 and 2016 shows:
[www.lanacion.com.ar]

Current offers for 2023:
- Asia/Australia
- 10 shows in New York

Maybe they can release the new album and promote it in NYC

Posted by: RG ()
Date: August 9, 2022 23:18

Another Tour in USA? Number 3 in 4 years.. a little too much I gues.
I hope they’ll prefer their hometown London for 10 shows! O2 Arena would be nice.

Posted by: 06230 ()
Date: August 10, 2022 01:13

As joyce Smyth said " when they finally step off the stage for the last time we will all know we shall never see anything like that ever again "
The eternal RS question is where & when that step is.

As I stated in Another thread.

There is only one person who posts on this club of ours who knows..maybe. and guess what, he ain't telling.. yet. Ha.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: August 10, 2022 01:45

GeirGG

whatever they do next will be the beginning of the end simply because of there age

that being said i like hairball's idea and think it could be a better path forward for them to continue touring into there 80's

but i would say 7 or 8 shows in one city over a one month period of time and then another 7 or 8 in anther city then they all go home

rinse and repeat next year

and they don't just need to do stadium shows they could resurrect the idea from the licks tour of stadium, theatre, arena shows in each
city with different types of setlists for each type of venue

instead of just playing one venue in one city they'd be playing multiple venues in one city

sorta of a "tour" of the city but with much less of that annoying traveling

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: August 10, 2022 01:55

ProfessorWolf
GeirGG

whatever they do next will be the beginning of the end simply because of there age

that being said i like hairball's idea and think it could be a better path forward for them to continue touring into there 80's

but i would say 7 or 8 shows in one city over a one month period of time and then another 7 or 8 in anther city then they all go home

rinse and repeat next year

and they don't just need to do stadium shows they could resurrect the idea from the licks tour of stadium, theatre, arena shows in each
city with different types of setlists for each type of venue

instead of just playing one venue in one city they'd be playing multiple venues in one city

sorta of a "tour" of the city but with much less of that annoying traveling

3x MSG
2x Prudential
3x Barclays
2 x Metlife

Sounds good to me! Seems like they have been underplaying that market for awhile.

Keith can just go home between gigs.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 10, 2022 02:15

Uncredited and somewhat sloppy translation of the La Nacion article posted by georgelicks:

Reasons why the Rolling Stones won’t come to Argentina in March

[nationworldnews.com]

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 10, 2022 02:28

Dan
GeirGG

3x MSG
2x Prudential
3x Barclays
2 x Metlife

Sounds good to me! Seems like they have been underplaying that market for awhile.

There's also the brand new UBS Arena on Long Island.

Posted by: angieburden ()
Date: August 10, 2022 02:59

As long as they throw Las Vegas in there as well

Date: August 10, 2022 08:25

bye bye johnny
Dan
GeirGG

3x MSG
2x Prudential
3x Barclays
2 x Metlife

There's also the brand new UBS Arena on Long Island.

And of course there's also the Beacon Theater...as either a warmup show, or a grand finale...

Date: August 10, 2022 08:53

Dougratajczak87
Nikkei

[www.youtube.com]

great recording. love it.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: August 10, 2022 10:13

Hairball
georgelicks
[www.lanacion.com.ar]

Current offers for 2023:
- Asia/Australia
- 10 shows in New York

10 shows in NY seems like it would have the advantage considering there would be no travel from one show to the next,
Keith lives nearby, lots of studios if they wish to record some new material, etc., etc., etc. Similar to a Vegas residency, yet in New York...

the promoter said: "But they have nothing, no plans. However, if there were, South America would be the group’s next destination. One is possible Japan and Oceania and the other is to return to the United States to do ten shows in New York."
– so there's nothing to go crazy about. It'‚ just a very vage possibility that they'll do a couple of shows in New York. I mean there's always that possibility but it's nothing but speculation.

Date: August 10, 2022 10:24

Yep, nobody knows with 100% certainty....it's all speculation at this point...they're still unwinding from the recent shows....then family time, rest, relaxation, Christmas, etc., etc., etc....only time will tell...

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: August 10, 2022 12:23

keefriffhards
Dougratajczak87
Nikkei

[www.youtube.com]

Great post and i can't see how anyone could possibly argue with any of the points you raised.

Totally agree good people. Agree 100% with you both. Erudite, balanced, totally fair to all concerned, and sensitively expressed.

Thank you.

Posted by: GeirGG ()
Date: August 10, 2022 12:40

I do not believe in this «tour of a city» idea. That just seems a mess to be honest. Unnecessary complicated from every angle. What I meant is that if they stop, it might be hard to start up again (hm…pun). Some might find the idea of a sort of residency thrilling, but I don’t. More like a sort of geriatric solution. I love to travel and see The Stones. The idea of going to for example Australia for the first time, and see that country whilst following them is a thrilling idea. I like to go to different venues and experience different things. Of course if the only option to see them is to stay in one place only, then so be it. But it does not excite me. At all.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 10, 2022 14:19

GeirGG
I do not believe in this «tour of a city» idea. That just seems a mess to be honest. Unnecessary complicated from every angle. What I meant is that if they stop, it might be hard to start up again (hm…pun). Some might find the idea of a sort of residency thrilling, but I don’t. More like a sort of geriatric solution. I love to travel and see The Stones. The idea of going to for example Australia for the first time, and see that country whilst following them is a thrilling idea. I like to go to different venues and experience different things. Of course if the only option to see them is to stay in one place only, then so be it. But it does not excite me. At all.

The other argument against a residency is that wherever they decide to "reside" will place them permanently out of reach for that percentage of their live audience who are unable to afford international travel and hotels on top of whatever eye-watering price they ask for the tickets. This is not to disparage the wonderful international travelling community of Stones fans, but they are a minority at any show, and the nice thing about touring is the ongoing hope that this time round the band might be coming to your town, or at least your country. I hope that they postpone that option for as long as possible (though some of the more fanciful intercontinental schedules posted here are obviously too much like hard work for a band at their time of life).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-10 14:21 by Green Lady.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: August 10, 2022 14:21

I would think arena prices would be insane nowadays . Careful what you wish for.

Sc uk

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 10, 2022 15:42

GerardHennessy
keefriffhards
Dougratajczak87
Nikkei

[www.youtube.com]

Totally agree good people. Agree 100% with you both. Erudite, balanced, totally fair to all concerned, and sensitively expressed.

Thank you.

hope you didn't call me erudite did you

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: August 10, 2022 16:01

This YouTube [youtu.be]
Of CYHMK? Of 2013 shows to me that even the much heralded Mick Taylor is not getting close to his own solo on the original version. I don’t say it’s bad, it isn’t bad, but not close, So I don’t share te opinion of Dougratajczak87 that he nailed it.smiling smiley

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: August 10, 2022 16:57

Green Lady great comments there and so delicately put!

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: August 10, 2022 17:39

straycatuk
I would think arena prices would be insane nowadays . Careful what you wish for.

Sc uk

Exactly. Look at what Bruce Springsteen is charging for arenas. The Stones would be a lot more.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: August 10, 2022 18:26

Topi
straycatuk

Sc uk

Exactly. Look at what Bruce Springsteen is charging for arenas. The Stones would be a lot more.

I don't see any reason why they couldn't do Madison Square Garden (20000) when they were able to do Berlin Waldbühne (22000, ticket prices 192-560 Euros)

Posted by: cwalters ()
Date: August 10, 2022 18:53

slewan
Topi
straycatuk

Sc uk

I don't see any reason why they couldn't do Madison Square Garden (20000) when they were able to do Berlin Waldbühne (22000, ticket prices 192-560 Euros)

MSG might seat that many for a Bruce Springsteen concert where every single seat in the stands is filled plus the floor, but take a look at the box office data for the 50 & Counting Tour. Typically arenas are about 13-15k in attendance. Nowhere near 20k.

50 & Counting

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-10 18:54 by cwalters.

Posted by: jmd ()
Date: August 10, 2022 19:28

I could imagine MSG offering some combination of x nights at MSG NYC and x nights at the MSG Sphere in Las Vegas for a couple of “residencies” exclusive to them. I’m guessing after spending $2B for the Sphere they’d see some crazy guarantee for the Stones to headline that place as a start-up cost. (Depends, of course, on what kind of deal they’ve offered U2, I guess…)

Could also see AEG countering with same type of setup in LA, Vegas and London at their arenas in those cities (Crypto fka Staples in LA, T-Mobile in Vegas, O2 in London).

Of course, any “residency” involving the Stones would need to adapt to their performance schedule with several days in between shows. Maybe play just Friday or Saturday nights for several weeks? Work in a one-off date between shows in other markets? Or?

Fun to speculate…who knows what will happen…

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 123

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1968
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home