Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
When did Mick start announcing so many of the songs?
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 4, 2022 21:33

I've never understood why Mick feels the need to announce what song they're getting ready to play. It takes away from the rush in the crowd when they start playing a song and recognize it after a few chords. The Stones don't need to tell an audience. I'm referring specifically to a video I just saw of them doing 'Out of Time' in Berlin. Mick tells them it's an old song they've enjoyed doing. He could have just gone into it, but he announced what song it was. It was obvious the crowd knew the song from the jump. It would have been much cooler to let them realize it on their own.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-05 20:37 by 24FPS.

Re: When did Mick start announcing every song?
Date: August 4, 2022 21:41

He does only on a few

Posted by: KeVvV2011 ()
Date: August 4, 2022 21:47

PaintMonkeyManBlack
He does only on a few
Yeah, exactly. Usually, if he says anything, it's something vague like "I think it's from Exile on Main Street" when introducing Rocks Off yesterday, or "we haven't done this song on this tour" when introducing Fool To Cry.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: August 4, 2022 22:36

Every song? Keith announces most of His songs but Mick? Maybe 2 or three songs per show mainly in the first part and only non-warhorses. He did that already in the 60s and 70s mainly with new songs.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 5, 2022 06:38

Don't let the facts get in the way of a new thing to bitch about.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: August 5, 2022 06:43

24FPS
I've never understood why Mick feels the need to announce what song they're getting ready to play. It takes away from the rush in the crowd when they start playing a song and recognize it after a few chords. The Stones don't need to tell an audience. I'm referring specifically to a video I just saw of them doing 'Out of Time' in Berlin. Mick tells them it's an old song they've enjoyed doing. He could have just gone into it, but he announced what song it was. It was obvious the crowd knew the song from the jump. It would have been much cooler to let them realize it on their own.

Oh. So how about changing your thread title then?

eye rolling smiley

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: August 5, 2022 12:38

Mick is a control freak, maybe he wants to make sure that Keith accidentally starts the wrong song smiling smiley

Date: August 5, 2022 12:40

<When did Mick start announcing every song?>

He didn't.

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: August 5, 2022 17:47

Yeah, I always thought that was a bit annoying, but he has done it plenty of times in the past. If I remember doesn't Charlie introduce a song on Got Live if you Want it? I always thought it was funny when Mick said we are going to do honky tonk women now, at Hyde Park 69. I think it is more or less a leftover from a bygone era.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 5, 2022 20:38

Justin
24FPS

Oh. So how about changing your thread title then?

eye rolling smiley

Happy?

Re: When did Mick start announcing so many of the songs?
Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 5, 2022 21:05

I guess he's never been or heard a Stones show live. Is doesn't happen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-05 23:01 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 5, 2022 22:07

The earliest I've heard is from 64 when Mick says: And now, as Brian changes his guitar, we'd like to do a very articulate version of If You Need Me.
Charlie would introduce Little Red Rooster (as well as the Bo Diddley number I'm Alright!) back in the day.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: August 6, 2022 03:41

He started doing it when Charlie stopped (see 5:15!):

[www.youtube.com]

—————

Never get tired of that old video…. Charlie speaks and Brian sings. So much fun to see.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-06 03:43 by HalfNanker.

Date: August 6, 2022 05:40

More Hot Rocks
I guess he's never been or heard a Stones show live. Is doesn't happen.

He is one to complain about high prices though, so I wonder if there may be a correlation?!

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: August 6, 2022 09:37

The OP is not wrong , I saw the Stones for years when they just played the songs and I’m not sure they gave a shit if you knew them or not.
This was especially true on the 78 tour when they played anywhere from 4 to 6 songs off their new album.
I get people knocking him for noticing something that seems a bit trivial but I noticed it too,it’s as if they lost a bit of arrogance there.
I believe the English call these things “a Storm in a teacup” but nonetheless a good point.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: August 6, 2022 09:46

ribbelchips
Mick is a control freak, maybe he wants to make sure that Keith accidentally starts the wrong song smiling smiley

Don’t they use the prompters?

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: August 6, 2022 10:42

He only announces the more obscure songs. I never in my life heard him say "alright, this one's called Jumping Jack Flash!"
In fact 90 percent of the setlist is unannounced.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: August 6, 2022 11:07

StonedRambler
He only announces the more obscure songs. I never in my life heard him say "alright, this one's called Jumping Jack Flash!"

Understood, but the point is he announced the name of any of the songs when in years past they just played them and if you didn’t know it too bad.
It is a part of the more fan friendly attitude the band has taken, Mick speaking the native language, mentioning local traditions etc
Are we mentally unbalanced for noticing such small things? Pretty much yes.

Date: August 6, 2022 11:24

lem motlow
StonedRambler

Understood, but the point is he announced the name of any of the songs when in years past they just played them and if you didn’t know it too bad.
It is a part of the more fan friendly attitude the band has taken, Mick speaking the native language, mentioning local traditions etc

That's not true. He did announce some songs all the time. From every Tour announcements come now up in my ear. In Hyde Park 69 He announced many new songs including "Gimme a little Drink" and "Honky Tonk Women". At altamont "Brown Sugar". In 1973 "This one's called Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo"and "This one's called @#$%&". Kennwort 76 "Let's Spend The Night Together, Let's Spend The Night Together". In 1981 "we're gonna do one from last year this one's called Let me Go, Baby please Let me Go" and "we're gonna do Songs er never recorded before and the first one's by Eddie Cochran called Twenty Flight Rock". In 1989/90 "This one's called Sad Sad Sad One Two One Two Three Four" and "Between a Rock and A Hard Place", Almost hear you sigh and Factory Girl. More examples are Shine a Light, Live with me, Dead Flowers, Rip this Joint, respectable and the Spider and the fly from Paradiso 95. From El Mocambo Luxury, Melody, Hand of Fate, Around and Around and maybe more.

I could go on with this list forever. He always introduced new or rare Songs. Nothing has changed Here.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-06 11:38 by hockenheim95.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: August 6, 2022 12:19

It's just something to do.

And obviously Mick does it on songs where he feels it would help the audience to prime them before it starts.

It's very consistent with Mick's personality to do this. He's humble enough to treat these songs not as holier than thou gold medals and assume the audience knows every song they've recorded. That's not in his his or the band's personality. It's a very Charlie thing to do, in fact, to introduce a song. It's polite and proper when the time is right.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 6, 2022 13:20

hockenheim95
"This one's called @#$%&". Kennwort 76 "Let's Spend The Night Together, Let's Spend The Night Together"

careful now, don't type out your kennwort by accident

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: August 6, 2022 14:11

ribbelchips
thumbs up

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 6, 2022 15:32

HalfNanker
He started doing it when Charlie stopped (see 5:15!):

[www.youtube.com]

—————

Never get tired of that old video…. Charlie speaks and Brian sings. So much fun to see.

Charlie sings a bit too, if you look carefully (not that you can hear him)

Date: August 6, 2022 17:20

hockenheim95
lem motlow
StonedRambler

That's not true. He did announce some songs all the time. From every Tour announcements come now up in my ear. In Hyde Park 69 He announced many new songs including "Gimme a little Drink" and "Honky Tonk Women". At altamont "Brown Sugar". In 1973 "This one's called Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo"and "This one's called @#$%&". Kennwort 76 "Let's Spend The Night Together, Let's Spend The Night Together". In 1981 "we're gonna do one from last year this one's called Let me Go, Baby please Let me Go" and "we're gonna do Songs er never recorded before and the first one's by Eddie Cochran called Twenty Flight Rock". In 1989/90 "This one's called Sad Sad Sad One Two One Two Three Four" and "Between a Rock and A Hard Place", Almost hear you sigh and Factory Girl. More examples are Shine a Light, Live with me, Dead Flowers, Rip this Joint, respectable and the Spider and the fly from Paradiso 95. From El Mocambo Luxury, Melody, Hand of Fate, Around and Around and maybe more.

I could go on with this list forever. He always introduced new or rare Songs. Nothing has changed Here.

He even had to ask Bill What album the song was on. smoking smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 6, 2022 21:53

The only time it might be appropriate to announce a tune is when it's a new one such as Living in a Ghost Town aka "our lockdown song", or an obscure cover tune.
But considering Ghost Town is the only relatively new tune they play (and it isn't even really new anymore), aside from it Mick shouldn't feel the need to announce any of the others.
He could just say "This next one's an oldie but goodie most of you will remember" if he feels the need to announce a tune, and leave it at that.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: August 6, 2022 22:44

Hairball
The only time it might be appropriate to announce a tune is when it's a new one such as Living in a Ghost Town aka "our lockdown song", or an obscure cover tune.
But considering Ghost Town is the only relatively new tune they play (and it isn't even really new anymore), aside from it Mick shouldn't feel the need to announce any of the others.
He could just say "This next one's an oldie but goodie most of you will remember" if he feels the need to announce a tune, and leave it at that.

Bad boy Mick, for doing something Hairball says is inappropriate.
House nanny Hairball will not allow this outrage in the future.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 6, 2022 22:46

ribbelchips

He is not. He is just being a pro like he always is. And its all about putting on a good show. It has nothing to to with controlling everything.

Date: August 7, 2022 01:46

Nikkei
hockenheim95
"This one's called @#$%&". Kennwort 76 "Let's Spend The Night Together, Let's Spend The Night Together"

careful now, don't type out your kennwort by accident

I think you don't know much about IORR censorship

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 8, 2022 07:38

I was at this show.

Dismal crowd - the reason they didn't come back to New Orleans until 2019.

Go to 45:14 and have a listen. Heartbreaker is apparently from BLACK AND BLUE.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: August 8, 2022 10:13

Mick is terrible when it comes to which album the songs are on and whether they have played them live before. In Hamburg in 2017, he said they'd never done "Dancing With Mr. D" live.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1444
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home