Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT RIP Vin Scully
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 3, 2022 12:53

The voice of the Brooklyn & LA Dodgers for 67 years. He was a fantastic storyteller. I'm not a fan of the team but I would tune in games just to listen to him.

[www.espn.com]

Re: OT RIP Vin Scully
Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: August 3, 2022 14:04

Not a Dodgers fan either, but he was the best I ever heard. That voice! So smooth and soothing.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 3, 2022 14:06

Even though he retired back in 2016, I still imagine hearing his voice announcing Dodgers games whenever watching them to this day. Having grown up in the SoCal area myself, Vin Scully and L.A. Lakers announcer Chick Hearn (who passed away 20 yrs. ago) meant as much to the sports scene as all the legendary athletes themselves. And even well beyond the local area, they were both respected and admired all across the country for their style, class, and all around knowledge of the game. Listening to either announce games on the radio was as good as hearing them announce televized games - they painted pictures with their words alone that were as vivid as being there watching in person. It's a sad day for sports fans especially in the SoCal/L.A. area, and everyone is bleeding Dodger blue, but Vin lived a very good life for 94 years. I heard on the news earlier that the motto for the Dodgers this year will be "Win for Vin" - expect another World Series championship in his memory.

"We have lost an icon.His voice will always be heard and etched in all of our minds forever." - Dodger President Stan Kasten

RIP VIN, and GO DODGER BLUE!

Date: August 3, 2022 15:37

Hairball
Even though he retired back in 2016, I still imagine hearing his voice announcing Dodgers games whenever watching them to this day. Having grown up in the SoCal area myself, Vin Scully and L.A. Lakers announcer Chick Hearn (who passed away 20 yrs. ago) meant as much to the sports scene as all the legendary athletes themselves. And even well beyond the local area, they were both respected and admired all across the country for their style, class, and all around knowledge of the game. Listening to either announce games on the radio was as good as hearing them announce televized games - they painted pictures with their words alone that were as vivid as being there watching in person. It's a sad day for sports fans especially in the SoCal/L.A. area, and everyone is bleeding Dodger blue, but Vin lived a very good life for 94 years. I heard on the news earlier that the motto for the Dodgers this year will be "Win for Vin" - expect another World Series championship in his memory.

"We have lost an icon.His voice will always be heard and etched in all of our minds forever." - Dodger President Stan Kasten

RIP VIN, and GO DODGER BLUE!

I would be perfectly happy to have the Mariners play the Dodgers in the World Series. Where we part ways would be who wins the series. GO Ms! winking smiley

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: August 3, 2022 19:47

That guy and that voice are what radio baseball (especially) is all about. Taking you to another place entirely through the use of language. A real loss.

T@3

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: August 3, 2022 20:07

I grew up in East LA listening to Vin call the games, on my transistor radio as I lay in bed at night. He was the best, and a true gentleman, humble and gracious. He could paint word pictures like nobody else.
RIP Vin Scully. Thanks for 67 years of enjoyment.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: August 3, 2022 21:48

He called Larsen's World Series perfect game. Luckily I'm related to Don Larsen and have a signed picture (by him and Yogi Berra) of the famous bear hug after the final out.

Date: August 3, 2022 22:21

NashvilleBlues
He called Larsen's World Series perfect game. Luckily I'm related to Don Larsen and have a signed picture (by him and Yogi Berra) of the famous bear hug after the final out.

Nice!

Posted by: stones1969 ()
Date: August 4, 2022 23:42

Yes, he was one of a kind who will never be replaced. He also did football games many years ago, the last game he called was the 1981 NFC Championship Game between the Cowboys and 49ers when Dwight Clark made 'The Catch'.

Posted by: tommyturbo76 ()
Date: August 5, 2022 04:57

stones1969
Yes, he was one of a kind who will never be replaced. He also did football games many years ago, the last game he called was the 1981 NFC Championship Game between the Cowboys and 49ers when Dwight Clark made 'The Catch'.

I was there. With a (10-pound) portable TV with earphone so I could watch/hear Vin. Well, not for the catch of course because the stadium was shaking...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2190
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home