Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Re: Ronnie 2022
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 2, 2022 02:28

WorriedAboutYou
Hmmm. I thought the ancient form of weaving made it impossible to distinguish who was playing what and the guitarists had each other's backs. Have we been misled?

Without Ronnie (and Chuck), Keith would probably be a shambles. And outside of the Stones, Keith would be lost without Waddy.
They all compliment each other, and have each other's backs. They're a team. They're a band. But in an odd twist, Ronnie seems to play better and is more focused outside of the Stones much of the time.
Going all the way back to the Faces and up to his various guest appearances and tribute shows (Jimmy Reed and Chuck Berry) - playing outside the Stones is where he tends to shines the brightest.

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: August 2, 2022 02:53

Yes, what a fantastic team they are, I feel Ronnie can make Keith shine brighter than Waddy. Steve seems to have kickstarted Keith to dominate the songs more. Lets not forget how much their families mean to them. The day we accept whatever they serve is the day they retire and we feel old, They've been doing so well in 2022 that there must be more in the barrel, congratulations.

Posted by: PatrickS77 ()
Date: August 2, 2022 04:22

Justin
Ronnie is playing wonderfully in my book this tour. A welcome change from that frantic stuff.

Yeah. I don't really know what these people are all on about. I saw the shows in Munich and Vienna and Ronnie was playing plenty:

[www.instagram.com]

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 2, 2022 08:01

PatrickS77
Justin
Ronnie is playing wonderfully in my book this tour. A welcome change from that frantic stuff.

Yeah. I don't really know what these people are all on about. I saw the shows in Munich and Vienna and Ronnie was playing plenty:

[www.instagram.com]

It’s all the people that don’t go to the concerts. The Stones YouTube watcher

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 2, 2022 09:01

More Hot Rocks
PatrickS77
Justin

[www.instagram.com]

Well, The Stones ‘YouTube watcher’ get to access expertly shot and sounding videos. We can just a performance objectively and rationally. Those in actual attendance have a judgment clouded by so, so many other factors. I, by the way, am an attendee and someone who enjoys the excellent videos we’re getting.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 2, 2022 10:04

Kick me like you've kicked before
I can't even feel the pain no more

................ Rocks Off - Jagger/Richards

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 2, 2022 10:27

Bless you, Ronnie. You made Blue and Lonesome the late triumph it was. Having some physical trouble after all you've been through? Bless you, after you held up Keith's end for the past decade while he slowly returned to form. I have my DVDs and CDs if I want to hear you, or any of them at their peak. You would have thought Charlie passing would have sobered us up to the reality that they're in the last quarter. Enjoy them while you can.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: August 2, 2022 10:39

All that matters is that people who are present at a concert are having a great time.
And that we had!

They are not playing for Youtube or whatever online thingamogog. They are playing for
the people who showed up to be part of the experience of joining in with The Greatest
Rock 'n Roll Band of the World.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: August 2, 2022 11:02

redkev
Can we just start a single thread where all hyper critical stuff can be posted in the one place so we just have one thread to avoid instead of sifting thru crap on most threads.

Honestly I wonder if some people actually like the Stones anymore. The guys are in their late 70s - we should be grateful we're getting the chance to see them at all. If you don't enjoy it just don't go to the concerts or watch the videos. You'll feel better and so will the majority of us who still enjoy and appreciate this wonderful band.

The same people who moan about their performances nowadays will be the biggest moaners when they finally call it a day.

Exactly, Ronnie sucks, Keith sucks they’re being carried by the backing band, Mick is worn out and tired, ok we get it so just stay home next time.
You’ll save money and we won’t have to listen to the complaints, everybody wins.

Re: Keith was bad, Keith was great! Ronnie was bad, Ronnie was great! Mick was bad, Mick was great!
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 2, 2022 13:52

ROCKMAN

Re: Keith was bad, Keith was great! Ronnie was bad, Ronnie was great! Mick was bad, Mick was great!
Posted by: slewan ()
Date: August 2, 2022 13:57

If I was Jagger I'd make sure to have Mick Taylor back onboard for a couple of songs so that he can take Ronnie's place or even replace him if necessary

Date: August 2, 2022 14:00

Big Al
More Hot Rocks
PatrickS77
Justin

[www.instagram.com]

Well, The Stones ‘YouTube watcher’ get to access expertly shot and sounding videos. We can just a performance objectively and rationally. Those in actual attendance have a judgment clouded by so, so many other factors. I, by the way, am an attendee and someone who enjoys the excellent videos we’re getting.

While the quality of the videos is usually good, the sound is rather bad. If you want to judge the quality of the music listen to high quality audio recordings!

Date: August 2, 2022 14:20

Some of the bitter, repetitive, sour-faced moaning, crowing and level of oersonal insult directed at Ron and Keith on this thread absolutely proves what Mike Tyson had to say about people on social media - "It made y’all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it."

To quote Mark E Smith, You don't deserve rock n roll.

Date: August 2, 2022 14:30

MadMetaphoricalMax
Some of the bitter, repetitive, sour-faced moaning, crowing and level of oersonal insult directed at Ron and Keith on this thread absolutely proves what Mike Tyson had to say about people on social media - "It made y’all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it."

To quote Mark E Smith, You don't deserve rock n roll.

true, but I wouldn't have any kind of problem to say to Ronnie that playing is sometimes really bad

Date: August 2, 2022 16:36

[/quote]
True, but I wouldn't have any kind of problem to say to Ronnie that playing is sometimes really bad[/quote]

Ron Wood, guitarist with the RS. Of which, without him, there would be no more of.
(edit) "I wouldn't have any kind of problem to say to (anyone) that some posts submitted on this well run site are sometimes really bad". Opinions. Perspective. Personal lives. Just get over it, or give up. Newsflash ..... Its not your band, its called entertainment.
Mick and Keith happy ? I guess so, says it all. Be nice ffs, fan or not, god bless Ronnie Wood

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: August 2, 2022 19:45

Yesss we should be thankful for and at least respectful to Ronnie. He very well be the reason the Stones are still here. After all he also gave us the best solo records of any Stone . Making a concert unforgettable for the fans is more than playing all solos perfectly. From the four shows I saw this tour, I can say he is fully committed to making the band‘s performance memorable. Saying otherwise is just rude and making baseless assumptions. Some people on here think they are psychiatrists and think they know when someone is committed and when not.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: August 2, 2022 21:00

[iorr.org]

Photo by Hendrik Mulder
Wonderful, magnificent and triumphant Ronnie!

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: August 2, 2022 23:14

treaclefingers
keefriffhards
treaclefingers
keefriffhards
Just expect half decent solo's for my £300 ticket, not much to ask.

They're not trained monkeys. I would suggest that if you don't know what you're buying, that's not on them, it's on you. Caveat Emptor.

Had another thought too...what would you pay then for a less than half decent guitar solo?

Ronnie has been so reliably good with his solos since 2002 i defiantly expected better.

What would i pay ? I'd go again and pay the same because Keith raised his game, had both of them been lousy i would have probably made it my last Stones show.

As a note of interest i was so disappointed with Keith in Cardiff 2007 that i didn't see a Stones show until 2013, i think we all felt Keith was past it after his cranial surgery but he came back eventually.

A lot of us were in that boat, though mainly because there weren't any tours to speak of by the band per se.

I understand what you're saying but keeping it in context, they're almost 80 - well the members that are still alive and in the band - and performing at a remarkably high level. It is 100% a nostalgia act now, but the best one going.

As someone opined early, once they do stop the new whine will be, "BUT THEY CAN STILL WALK WITHOUT A WALKER...WHY AREN'T THEY TOURING?!".

If you can afford it and it still moves you...see'em while you can.

That puts it in perceptive treacle, they are touring against the odds, they are still with us, bless them for continuing against all the odds.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 2, 2022 23:24

MonkeyMan2000
Yesss we should be thankful for and at least respectful to Ronnie. He very well be the reason the Stones are still here. After all he also gave us the best solo records of any Stone . Making a concert unforgettable for the fans is more than playing all solos perfectly. From the four shows I saw this tour, I can say he is fully committed to making the band‘s performance memorable. Saying otherwise is just rude and making baseless assumptions. Some people on here think they are psychiatrists and think they know when someone is committed and when not.

Keith had a good one, Talk Is Cheap. (Although it's less than Stones music). Bill had a good one recently. He's also the only one to have a hit single. Mick's had a spotty single here and there. Charlie had some charming jaz albums. Although I appreciate Ronnie, I'd say his solo albums add up to the least.

Posted by: Bob C. ()
Date: August 2, 2022 23:28

Thank you so much for posting this thread. I have not read all the post, but I totally agree with your initial point. A long time ago Keith said they wanted to see where this would go; it is new and uncharted territory for a rock and roll band. For better or worse the stones have showed me many things, including how to grow old. Keep on rocking guys. And most of all thanks for all the music and shows.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: August 2, 2022 23:56

24FPS
MonkeyMan2000

Keith had a good one, Talk Is Cheap. (Although it's less than Stones music). Bill had a good one recently. He's also the only one to have a hit single. Mick's had a spotty single here and there. Charlie had some charming jaz albums. Although I appreciate Ronnie, I'd say his solo albums add up to the least.

Well, of course this is a matter of taste. And I don‘t want to turn this thread into a discussion about solo records. Mick‘s solo output is nothing special. Charlie‘s jazz playing is nothing special and his Big Band sound is not much more than what a late night tv band could pull off. Keith‘s records are great but I enjoy Ronnie‘s music on another level. He‘s genuine. Doesn‘t want to convey an image. In my view he is always FULLY committed to whatever music he does. That‘s why I posted my view. I can‘t let the accusation that he doesn‘t care about the Stones‘ legacy go uncommented…

Date: August 3, 2022 03:56

MonkeyMan2000
24FPS
MonkeyMan2000

Well, of course this is a matter of taste. And I don‘t want to turn this thread into a discussion about solo records. Mick‘s solo output is nothing special. Charlie‘s jazz playing is nothing special and his Big Band sound is not much more than what a late night tv band could pull off. Keith‘s records are great but I enjoy Ronnie‘s music on another level. He‘s genuine. Doesn‘t want to convey an image. In my view he is always FULLY committed to whatever music he does. That‘s why I posted my view. I can‘t let the accusation that he doesn‘t care about the Stones‘ legacy go uncommented…

I Feel like Playing is one of the best solo albums from any Stone and it never gets a mention, as you say it's genuine and unpretentious like most of Ronnie's solo albums, now his art work, that's another conversation winking smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 3, 2022 06:06

slewan
If I was Jagger I'd make sure to have Mick Taylor back onboard for a couple of songs so that he can take Ronnie's place or even replace him if necessary

Taylor got his chance to do whatever. It didn't work. So, you know, Ronnie.

Ronnie's ego has never gotten in the way.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: August 3, 2022 09:24

GasLightStreet
slewan

Absolutely. Anyone that thinks if something happens to Ronnie that Taylor is going to step in and save the day is dreaming.
I hate saying this because I love Mick Taylor but he just doesn’t fit in the Stones anymore.
I wanted Mick to succeed so badly, I kept saying to myself “ just hang back, be Mick Taylor” I wanted to see the three guitar attack work so much but he just kept ambling out to center stage endlessly riffing on these leads that went nowhere.
I really think if he would’ve stood back by Chuck and the singers and blended in he’d still be there.
I was up front and close enough to see the look on Keiths face and I knew, it’s over.Keith has two smiles and they mean opposite things.

Date: August 3, 2022 10:38

lem motlow
GasLightStreet
slewan

Absolutely. Anyone that thinks if something happens to Ronnie that Taylor is going to step in and save the day is dreaming.
I hate saying this because I love Mick Taylor but he just doesn’t fit in the Stones anymore.
I wanted Mick to succeed so badly, I kept saying to myself “ just hang back, be Mick Taylor” I wanted to see the three guitar attack work so much but he just kept ambling out to center stage endlessly riffing on these leads that went nowhere.
I really think if he would’ve stood back by Chuck and the singers and blended in he’d still be there.
I was up front and close enough to see the look on Keiths face and I knew, it’s over.Keith has two smiles and they mean opposite things.

That's a very insightful post, never thought about it from that point of view, MT did seem to be showing off a bit, almost to the point of humiliating Ronnie and Keith. Taylor was a shock, his personality and body language was like seeing a different man onstage to what i expected, all of a sudden the showman.
Perhaps he saw it as his job to deliver something spectacular and he did as far as the audiences were concerned, in hindsight he blew it.

I always looked at it from another angle, was Jagger bringing Taylor along as insurance in case Ronnie messed up, in hindsight again we know Ronnie certainly didn't mess up, in fact he never messed up again and Taylor was never needed again.

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: August 3, 2022 13:05

Great stuff from Lem, I don't think MT humiliated anyone but himself with his showman style. I'd like to believe if he was given a full role and not just 2 songs per night that he would have settled down with Chuck and the backing crew in a way that was more laid back and suitable. Letting him have a sniff at the TD or YCAGWYW solos would have been fitting too. Appearing on Satisfaction, oh c'mon. Leadership issues again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-03 13:07 by skytrench.

Date: August 3, 2022 14:01

skytrench
Great stuff from Lem, I don't think MT humiliated anyone but himself with his showman style. I'd like to believe if he was given a full role and not just 2 songs per night that he would have settled down with Chuck and the backing crew in a way that was more laid back and suitable. Letting him have a sniff at the TD or YCAGWYW solos would have been fitting too. Appearing on Satisfaction, oh c'mon. Leadership issues again.

I think you are right, he should have been able to play on a few more songs that suited him behind Ronnie and Keith to help out, Taylor had an impossible job really, to come out cold each night and enter the Lions den, i enjoyed all his performances and he took Rambler to greater heights, i just felt for him though when he came out at the end to Satisfaction and wasn't given an opportunity to play a solo or anything, then he started joining in Satisfaction with an acoustic guitar, i always feel for the guy for some reason, he knows he messed up leaving the band, how many years of regret does he have, he couldn't have known they would continue like they did, he probably thought they would burn out in a couple years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-03 14:05 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 3, 2022 14:28

Keith deeply enjoyed the return of Mick Taylor in 2012/13, to the point of publicly pondering the thought of keeping him back in the band.

From 2015:

"I wanted to see if it would blossom into something else, like a three-guitar band. I realised that was just a hope, an idea. The Stones are a two-guitar band, and I know that, really.
But Midnight Rambler over the last year or so has been amazing. He's a lot looser than he was the first time around".

Date: August 3, 2022 14:39

Hairball
Keith deeply enjoyed the return of Mick Taylor in 2012/13, to the point of publicly pondering the thought of keeping him back in the band.

From 2015:

"I wanted to see if it would blossom into something else, like a three-guitar band. I realised that was just a hope, an idea. The Stones are a two-guitar band, and I know that, really.
But Midnight Rambler over the last year or so has been amazing. He's a lot looser than he was the first time around".

Thanks for that, i had no idea what Keith was really thinking, Ronnie definatly liked Taylor being around him ouside of the Stones they got friendly as did Keith in the said interview you quoted.

That leaves me thinking was it Jagger who wasn't so keen, did MJ think there was too much emphasis on the guitars with Taylor steeling his thunder, you can clearly see Jagger gesture to Ronnie and Keith a few times to cut the song short when Taylor was building a lengthily solo, i think MJ got a bit bored with the maracas winking smiley

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: August 3, 2022 15:51

Big Al
More Hot Rocks
PatrickS77
Justin

[www.instagram.com]

Expertly shot and great sounding phones videos? Come on man, you are seeing where the person is pointing the phone at and don't get me started on the sound. Sure, being there is clouded by the experience whether good or bad but watching Mick on a YouTube video listening to poor (IMHO) sounding phone audio doesn't tell me anything how Ronnie is actually playing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1838
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home