Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Ronnie 2022
Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: August 1, 2022 16:52

Lady Jayne
I don't understand enough about technique to comment on that aspect but we all know Ronnie has gone through a lot of health issues. At the very least he has a post operative reduced lung capacity, which will affect stamina but he has also suffered an aggressive form of cancer with a very poor statistical chance of long-term recovery. He is a recovering alcoholic and drug addict. He has suffered at least two close bereavements in the past couple of years. It's a miracle the man is standing, let alone playing. I wish him well.

So what you are hinting is that there is a moral obligation not to discuss Ronnie as a guitarist because he got the all clear from cancer almost two years ago and was a drunk 11 years ago.
If Ronnie is fit enough to run and jump all over the stage for two hours he can play the guitar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-01 16:56 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: August 1, 2022 16:59

keefriffhards
Lady Jayne
I don't understand enough about technique to comment on that aspect but we all know Ronnie has gone through a lot of health issues. At the very least he has a post operative reduced lung capacity, which will affect stamina but he has also suffered an aggressive form of cancer with a very poor statistical chance of long-term recovery. He is a recovering alcoholic and drug addict. He has suffered at least two close bereavements in the past couple of years. It's a miracle the man is standing, let alone playing. I wish him well.

So what you are hinting is that there is a moral obligation not to discuss Ronnie as a guitarist because he got the all clear from cancer almost two years ago and was a drunk 11 years ago.
If Ronnie is fit enough to run and jump all over the stage for two hours he can play the guitar.

I think everyone hears that Ronnie is declining and there are not that many arguments against it. I think Lady Jane explains very good the reasons why Ronnie plays like this.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: August 1, 2022 17:00

Another asinine thread from the self entitled peanut gallery. We know you think the tour sucked, Ronnie sucked, Keith sucked, no Charlie, No Bill Wyman, No Mick Taylor and No Brian Jones. Why are they even touring?

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: August 1, 2022 17:05

daspyknows
Another asinine thread from the self entitled peanut gallery. We know you think the tour sucked, Ronnie sucked, Keith sucked, no Charlie, No Bill Wyman, No Mick Taylor and No Brian Jones. Why are they even touring?

Where did you read that ?
We're talking about Ronnie's guitar playing, that's all. Your outrageousness is irrelevant.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: August 1, 2022 17:05

1fatum
StonedRambler
Leave the man alone, he had two chemos and probably still isn't back in the shape he was before. I'm sure he's giving his best every night (as all of them do), and nothing he plays is bad enough to mess up a show.
thumbs up

+1

Date: August 1, 2022 17:12

daspyknows

Completely wrong assumption, the tour has been magnificent.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: August 1, 2022 18:07

keefriffhards
daspyknows

It’s probably is but from what I read hear it’s the worst thing they heard. Read powerage78 above. Many on here love to put down this band in n this board.

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: August 1, 2022 18:17

FFS, give the man a break and be grateful he is still there on stage with Mick and Keith where he has been for nearly 50 years. What do you want, a note for note perfect session musician? And before Taylor1 jumps in here, the Mick Taylor ship has sailed.

Date: August 1, 2022 18:19

Personally I've enjoyed the tour very much, i came away from Hyde Park with mixed emotions, i got the impression Mick and Keith were giving it all they had, i came away thinking Ronnie isn't on the same path as Mick and Keith, whereas it's obvious they care about their legacy and if this turns out to be the last time they desperately want to finish on a high. I got the impression Ronnie is playing like he knows it doesn't matter if his invited back because maybe like he let slip in an interview he thinks this is his last tour out of choice. Read into that what you will, i just don't think he's taking pride in his work.
Instead of clowning about i wish he concentrated that energy into his playing.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 1, 2022 19:00

keefriffhards
Personally I've enjoyed the tour very much, i came away from Hyde Park with mixed emotions, i got the impression Mick and Keith were giving it all they had, i came away thinking Ronnie isn't on the same path as Mick and Keith, whereas it's obvious they care about their legacy and if this turns out to be the last time they desperately want to finish on a high. I got the impression Ronnie is playing like he knows it doesn't matter if his invited back because maybe like he let slip in an interview he thinks this is his last tour out of choice. Read into that what you will, i just don't think he's taking pride in his work.

……0h man…..please stop

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: August 1, 2022 19:12

keefriffhards

How many shows did you attend? If you had one data point and you didn't like Ronnie's performance it is like Tom Brady or LeBron James having a bad game. It happens. Should they quit after the one bad game? No.....

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: August 1, 2022 19:21

keefriffhards
I find Ronnie's performances this year disappointing, i also find it fascinating that others really enjoy Ronnie's new approach to playing and soloing.
There have been previous other tours where if Keith had a particularly bad night new threads would pop up for a discussion about his performances. Would be interesting to get some kind of clarity or perspective on Ronnie's playing, i must admit i'm a lousy guitar player so i'm not qualified to understand what Ronnie is doing, some call it art, some say he's playing great, some of us are not so sure about any of that. I just want to understand how my truth to my ears is so different to others.

O FGS !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: August 1, 2022 19:24

Perfect in soloing, rhythm, feeling and ensemble play: [youtu.be]. 2019

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: August 1, 2022 19:38

I understand that we are all free to express en our opinions. But this thread is totally disrespectful. We are mixing performance skills with serious health problems of a person that i don't think he agrees to share his personal and intimal issues with some fans that think they have the right and authority to overanalyze everything.
As a Rolling Stones fan, some times i feel miserable because of this Kind of things

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 1, 2022 19:52

More Hot Rocks
keefriffhards

……0h man…..please stop

If I may be permitted to jump in and echo that request. My parents are the same age as the Stones. They watch TV. I'm taking them out for lunch today, it's a big deal. If you can't accept their age and what they're doing right now is nothing short of a miracle, given all that's transpired last year and in the last few years, you're beyond help and shouldn't torture yourself on this board.

Date: August 1, 2022 20:40

Just expect half decent solo's for my £300 ticket, not much to ask.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 1, 2022 20:44

treaclefingers
More Hot Rocks
keefriffhards

……0h man…..please stop

If I may be permitted to jump in and echo that request. My parents are the same age as the Stones. They watch TV. I'm taking them out for lunch today, it's a big deal. If you can't accept their age and what they're doing right now is nothing short of a miracle, given all that's transpired last year and in the last few years, you're beyond help and shouldn't torture yourself on this board.

I'm talking about Keithriffhards comments. Thats why it was quoted. Just like the response of two other people to this same post. Geeez dude Please read next time.

Date: August 1, 2022 20:46

keefriffhards

They're not trained monkeys. I would suggest that if you don't know what you're buying, that's not on them, it's on you. Caveat Emptor.

Had another thought too...what would you pay then for a less than half decent guitar solo?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-01 20:47 by treaclefingers.

Date: August 1, 2022 21:05

treaclefingers
keefriffhards

They're not trained monkeys. I would suggest that if you don't know what you're buying, that's not on them, it's on you. Caveat Emptor.

Had another thought too...what would you pay then for a less than half decent guitar solo?

Ronnie has been so reliably good with his solos since 2002 i defiantly expected better.

What would i pay ? I'd go again and pay the same because Keith raised his game, had both of them been lousy i would have probably made it my last Stones show.

As a note of interest i was so disappointed with Keith in Cardiff 2007 that i didn't see a Stones show until 2013, i think we all felt Keith was past it after his cranial surgery but he came back eventually.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-01 21:14 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: August 1, 2022 22:06

I’d say ever since after A Bigger Bang, Ronnie’s been holding up his side of their guitars pretty well, and covering up often for our hero Keith’s reduced ability. Of course he’s had off days but I generally give him high marks for effort and pushing up the joy of each show (which is not to say the others don’t of course!).

What is obvious is the genuine pleasure they (and we) share when they are on stage. Nothing beats that IMHO.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 1, 2022 22:09

keefriffhards

As a note of interest i was so disappointed with Keith in Cardiff 2007 that i didn't see a Stones show until 2013, i think we all felt Keith was past it after his cranial surgery but he came back eventually.

Hmm I was so enchanted by Keith in Hamburg 2007 that I jumped at the opportunity to see a show in 2013 In the meantime both of us didn't see any shows for whatever reason

Date: August 1, 2022 22:19

Nikkei
keefriffhards

Hmm I was so enchanted by Keith in Hamburg 2007 that I jumped at the opportunity to see a show in 2013 In the meantime both of us didn't see any shows for whatever reason

Cardiff was August 2006 not 2007, yeah we had a lot of lost years between 2007 to 2012, Keith had retired according to Steve Jordan.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: August 1, 2022 23:42

keefriffhards
Nikkei
keefriffhards

Cardiff was August 2006 not 2007, yeah we had a lot of lost years between 2007 to 2012, Keith had retired according to Steve Jordan.

Maybe because there haven't been any shows between 2007 and 2012?

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: August 1, 2022 23:51

Ronnie is playing wonderfully in my book this tour. A welcome change from that frantic stuff.

Date: August 1, 2022 23:53

hockenheim95
keefriffhards
Nikkei
keefriffhards

Maybe because there haven't been any shows between 2007 and 2012?

That's what i said, all the lost years in between 2007 and 2012, Keith had retired said Jordan who gradually coaxed Keith back into making music , they just jammed and recorded a few tracks over odd weekends, the result was Crosseyed Heart years later because Keith found it hard to find a release date as the Stones continued to tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-01 23:56 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: August 2, 2022 00:08

Hmmm. I thought the ancient form of weaving made it impossible to distinguish who was playing what and the guitarists had each other's backs. Have we been misled?

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: August 2, 2022 01:32

keefriffhards
daspyknows

Exactly!

Posted by: redkev ()
Date: August 2, 2022 01:56

Can we just start a single thread where all hyper critical stuff can be posted in the one place so we just have one thread to avoid instead of sifting thru crap on most threads.

Honestly I wonder if some people actually like the Stones anymore. The guys are in their late 70s - we should be grateful we're getting the chance to see them at all. If you don't enjoy it just don't go to the concerts or watch the videos. You'll feel better and so will the majority of us who still enjoy and appreciate this wonderful band.

The same people who moan about their performances nowadays will be the biggest moaners when they finally call it a day.

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: August 2, 2022 02:11

Ronnie and Keith are my heroes, but why would I not tell you how I feel about their performances on IORR ? Down the pub people wouldnt give a damn or even know what I was going on about. If you cant take the criticism, then it must be because its hitting a truth for you.

I will blame the leadership for not delegating the solo tasks to the appropriate finishers or asking the players to change their approach where it obviously is inadequate. This problem has been lingering for decades. Let the players do what they can do well and let others take the tasks they are no longer able to handle. Not for old time(r)s sake, but to feel good about the result.

Date: August 2, 2022 02:12

keefriffhards
treaclefingers
keefriffhards

Ronnie has been so reliably good with his solos since 2002 i defiantly expected better.

What would i pay ? I'd go again and pay the same because Keith raised his game, had both of them been lousy i would have probably made it my last Stones show.

A lot of us were in that boat, though mainly because there weren't any tours to speak of by the band per se.

I understand what you're saying but keeping it in context, they're almost 80 - well the members that are still alive and in the band - and performing at a remarkably high level. It is 100% a nostalgia act now, but the best one going.

As someone opined early, once they do stop the new whine will be, "BUT THEY CAN STILL WALK WITHOUT A WALKER...WHY AREN'T THEY TOURING?!".

If you can afford it and it still moves you...see'em while you can.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1906
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home