Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Darryl's Era Double Album
Posted by: ManuelStones ()
Date: July 28, 2022 19:59

Hey guys, just for fun.
Many years ago I only appreciated their 60s and 70s catalogue.
Later on, I came about to appreciate all of their music.
Here it is a double album compilation from their work from 1994 onwards.
I left out many songs that I like a lot, and B&L was also left out.

Side One
1) It Won't Take Long
2) Love is Srrong
3) Out of Control
4) Street of Love
5) Thru and Thru
6) Rough Justice
7) You Got Me Rocking
8) Doom and Gloom
9) Rain Fall Down
10) Moon is Up

Side Two
1) One More Shot
2) Saint of Me
3) Stealing My Heart
4) You Don't Have To Mean It
5) Under The Radar
6) This Place is Empty
7) Anybody Seen My Baby
8) Blinded By Rainbows
9) Living in a Ghost Town
10) Like a Thief In The Night /How Can I Stop

All in all, I think it's a pretty solid compilation.
Opinions are welcome.

Re: Darryl's Era Double Album
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 28, 2022 20:04

With a few adjustments and editing/deleting, it might have been a winner as a single album made up of ten tracks.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 28, 2022 20:05

I didn't know Darryl had his own era but those are some good songs

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: July 28, 2022 20:09

ManuelStones

Side One
1) It Won't Take Long
2) Love is Srrong
3) Out of Control
4) Street of Love
5) Thru and Thru
6) Rough Justice
7) You Got Me Rocking
8) Doom and Gloom
9) Rain Fall Down
10) Moon is Up

Side Two
1) One More Shot
2) Saint of Me
3) Stealing My Heart
5) Under The Radar
6) This Place is Empty
7) Anybody Seen My Baby
8) Blinded By Rainbows

Opinions are welcome.

I wonder if this was a standalone band, would they be famous? I don't think it's really hit material, they'd be more like an underground band I guess, (if the post 1994 Stones were a band that started in 1994)

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: July 28, 2022 21:12

Nikkei

Darryl has been with the Stones longer than Bill was!

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 28, 2022 21:23

franzk
Nikkei

Bill was there for 32 years . Darryl 28 years .

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 28, 2022 21:27

I see it more in terms of who does what and Darryl is to me more like an accessory to the Chuck era if we need to name the era.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: July 28, 2022 22:26

TheGreek
franzk
Nikkei

Not really. The last thing Bill did with the Stones was Highwire/Sex Drive single recorded in January 1991. After he oficially quit in 1993 he said in an interview "I left two years ago but they didn't beleive me." His first show with The Stones was December 1962 so he was 28 years and 1 month. Darryl has already been 29 years since 1993.

Date: July 28, 2022 22:40

franzk
TheGreek
franzk
Nikkei

Not really. The last thing Bill did with the Stones was Highwire/Sex Drive single recorded in January 1991. After he oficially quit in 1993 he said in an interview "I left two years ago but they didn't beleive me." His first show with The Stones was December 1962 so he was 28 years and 1 month. Darryl has already been 29 years since 1993.

Bill has the advantage as far as actual work goes - in the studio as well as performing live.
Not sure the actual percentages, but I'm sure someone can break it down.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 28, 2022 23:46

Nikkei

I concur...great album! smileys with beer

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: July 29, 2022 00:48

In the last 29 years only 3 albums of originals...Not bad at all

Posted by: goingmad ()
Date: July 29, 2022 00:55

Great compilation! I just missed "laugh I nearly died"

Date: July 29, 2022 01:30

mailexile67

OK, and I know this doesn't make it much better, but each of those albums were double albums, longer than Exile.

So you can say 7 albums, (one a covers album) and a few scattered songs across some compilations - the 4 off Licks, 2 off Grrr and Living in a Ghost Town, in 29 years.

AND keep in mind we've also had a KR solo album, Mick Solo album, Mick soundtrack, and Mick's T.H.E. and Mick's GGG&England Lost, Ronnie Solo, & Superheavy.

You may not like all or any of it, but there's a bit there.

Date: July 29, 2022 01:55

lol.................

Date: July 29, 2022 01:58

goingmad
Great compilation! I just missed "laugh I nearly died"

Yes, should have easily replaced Streets of Love, but on the bright side there's no Sweet Neo Con or Infamy on the list.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-29 01:59 by Hairball.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 29, 2022 04:35

ManuelStones
Hey guys, just for fun.
Many years ago I only appreciated their 60s and 70s catalogue.
Later on, I came about to appreciate all of their music.

Side One
1) It Won't Take Long
2) Love is Srrong
3) Out of Control
4) Street of Love
5) Thru and Thru
6) Rough Justice
7) You Got Me Rocking
8) Doom and Gloom
9) Rain Fall Down
10) Moon is Up

Side Two
1) One More Shot
2) Saint of Me
3) Stealing My Heart
5) Under The Radar
6) This Place is Empty
7) Anybody Seen My Baby
8) Blinded By Rainbows

Opinions are welcome.

Wanna go Home in lieu of Moon is Up and press it up on vinyl please

Rod

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 29, 2022 05:14

treaclefingers
mailexile67

OK, and I know this doesn't make it much better, but each of those albums were double albums, longer than Exile.

So you can say 7 albums, (one a covers album) and a few scattered songs across some compilations - the 4 off Licks, 2 off Grrr and Living in a Ghost Town, in 29 years.

AND keep in mind we've also had a KR solo album, Mick Solo album, Mick soundtrack, and Mick's T.H.E. and Mick's GGG&England Lost, Ronnie Solo, & Superheavy.

It’s been 17 years since the last Rolling Stones album of originals. SEVENTEEN years despite a near on continuous drip feed of working on it, should be out next year, this year, I’m on the bass on a lot of tracks we’re working on, I’ve got several killer riffs, we’re in the studio now, mick and I are listening to stuff now that we laid down…etc etc etc, Honestly, I t’s pathetic and sad that the worlds greatest ever band can’t get a dozen new tracks done in SEVENTEEN years. They can disagree on musical direction, but to NOT be able to agree on twelve tracks?? Good god. The well has run dry and the worlds most expensive cruise ship band (to see) sails on…

Rod

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: July 29, 2022 05:56

treaclefingers
mailexile67

non album tracks in the era of darryl

the storm
jump on top of me
so young (sort of)
i'm gonna drive
anyway you look at it
don't stop
keys to your love
stealing my heart
losing my touch
hurricane
under the radar
don't wanna go home
watching the river flow
worried life blues (i count it)
doom and gloom
one more shot
living in a ghost town

17 tracks not a insignificant amount of non album studio tracks for a band to release in 28 years

and if you include the last bill tracks

fancy man blues
cook cook blues
wish i'd never met you
sex drive
highwire

22 tracks 33 years

you could probably get a good 10 to 12 track album out all these

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-29 06:02 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 29, 2022 09:33

I'm beginning to get it through my old, thick head that there's a whole new generation who grew up with the post-Wyman era. I can understand. I barely knew who Brian Jones was, and didn't know what he did, when I got to know the group better in the late 60s.

Obviously they don't know Bill, Brian, Mick Taylor, Nicky, Billy. They might know Bobby from fairly recent tours. But they have an entirely different perspective on the group. Although I consider their Post Wyman studio material to be inferior to their earlier work, some fans know it as their Stones era. They don't hear echoes to earlier work. They don't have Bill's bass playing to compare Darryl/Keith/Mick/Ron, or whoever is hanging around that night in the studio.

I saw a YouTube reaction video of these two college age guys going to their first Stones concert last year in Tampa. They were in awe that I thought the awe factor dimmed more than twenty years ago. But that's their Stones. That's who pays stupid money to see them. God bless 'em. And they still have the classic Stones to discover.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 29, 2022 11:11

24FPS
I'm beginning to get it through my old, thick head that there's a whole new generation who grew up with the post-Wyman era. I can understand. I barely knew who Brian Jones was, and didn't know what he did, when I got to know the group better in the late 60s.

Obviously they don't know Bill, Brian, Mick Taylor, Nicky, Billy. They might know Bobby from fairly recent tours. But they have an entirely different perspective on the group. Although I consider their Post Wyman studio material to be inferior to their earlier work, some fans know it as their Stones era. They don't hear echoes to earlier work. They don't have Bill's bass playing to compare Darryl/Keith/Mick/Ron, or whoever is hanging around that night in the studio.

I saw a YouTube reaction video of these two college age guys going to their first Stones concert last year in Tampa. They were in awe that I thought the awe factor dimmed more than twenty years ago. But that's their Stones. That's who pays stupid money to see them. God bless 'em. And they still have the classic Stones to discover.

I would imagine that most younger attendees at Stones show are very familiar with the Brian-era. It is, after all, the most revered period. There may be the odd few, of course, but I haven’t heard too many rave about A Bigger Bang, for instance, being ‘their’ album. The average younger – and very casual – fan might not know Bill Wyman as, well, he was the bassist, in the background. He’s not Mick Jagger or Keith Richards.

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: July 29, 2022 12:05

ProfessorWolf
treaclefingers
mailexile67

non album tracks in the era of darryl

the storm
jump on top of me
so young (sort of)
i'm gonna drive
anyway you look at it
don't stop
keys to your love
stealing my heart
losing my touch
hurricane
under the radar
don't wanna go home
watching the river flow
worried life blues (i count it)
doom and gloom
one more shot
living in a ghost town

17 tracks not a insignificant amount of non album studio tracks for a band to release in 28 years

and if you include the last bill tracks

fancy man blues
cook cook blues
wish i'd never met you
sex drive
highwire

22 tracks 33 years

you could probably get a good 10 to 12 track album out all these

You can also add to this post-1994 list, the two studio tracks that the Stones recorded with The Chieftains in 1995 (Rocky Road To Dublin) and with B.B. King in 1997 (Paying The Cost To Be The Boss). Not to mention the various archived tracks that Mick applied new vocals to (and new overdubbed instruments by the rest of the band) on the special deluxe editions of EOMS, GHS, SG and TY (if we really want to get picky).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-29 12:18 by sf37.

Date: July 29, 2022 12:53

Big Al
24FPS

I would imagine that most younger attendees at Stones show are very familiar with the Brian-era. It is, after all, the most revered period. There may be the odd few, of course, but I haven’t heard too many rave about A Bigger Bang, for instance, being ‘their’ album. The average younger – and very casual – fan might not know Bill Wyman as, well, he was the bassist, in the background. He’s not Mick Jagger or Keith Richards.

i was born the day the sex drive single was released march 4, 1991

and i know and love all of there music from all eras

but i'm not insane i know the big 4 are better then voodoo lounge

however i still find something to love in all there albums and still have perspective about good versus the the awe inspiring jaw droppingly magnificent greatness of exile on main street

and i've read dozens and dozens of books about them seen all the documentaries and watched all the concert films

so very well know who bill is and everybody else

and i think your onto something about us of different generations all having OUR stones

but wear does that leave fans my age i didn't really get into them until 2009 think about were they were as a band at that time and how that would shape me as a fan

and i unashamedly love a bigger banggrinning smiley

Date: July 29, 2022 12:54

In 1912 Einstein left Prague because was appointed professor of theoretical physics at the Zurich Polytechnic. He teached there for 2 years .

Mr Polombo Butterfly teached there for 45 years.

So Polombo contribution to science has clearly surpassed Einstein´s.

Date: July 29, 2022 13:10

emotionalbarbecue
In 1912 Einstein left Prague because was appointed professor of theoretical physics at the Zurich Polytechnic. He teached there for 2 years .

Mr Polombo Butterfly teached there for 45 years.

So Polombo contribution to science has clearly surpassed Einstein´s.

huhconfused smiley

alright...

so maybe we can find someway to incorporate albert einstein into this thread

could he play bass?winking smiley

Date: July 29, 2022 13:17

ProfessorWolf
Big Al
24FPS

however i still find something to love in all there albums and still have perspective about good versus the the awe inspiring jaw droppingly magnificent greatness of exile on main street

and i've read dozens and dozens of books about them seen all the documentaries and watched all the concert films

and i think your onto something about us of different generations all having OUR stones

but wear does that leave fans my age i didn't really get into them until 2009 think about were they were as a band at that time and how that would shape me as a fan

I was born in 1983, so Undercover was the soon-to-be-released album. In fact, it was unleashed on the day I turned two-months’ old.

I totally get where you’re coming from: it’s certainly the case with ‘older’ Stones fans, that there’s an attachment to the era that was ‘current’ when their fandom started. I’d often wonder why so many cite, say, Some Girls as their favourite. It’d baffle me that some would favour it over the ‘Big Four’ for instance, or, all those Decca singles. Of course, we know understand that they were sixteen when Miss You was initially aired and they have a throbbing nostalgia for all things 1978. However, you and I are both millennials, so we, unfortunately, missed out on those ‘glory day’ records. That’s why, I do believe post-golden period Stones fans don’t quite have the nostalgia for, say, a Voodoo Lounge, Bridges to Babylon, etc. Yet, thanks to Forty Licks and a wider exposure, there’s a love for the classics: Paint it, Black, (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction, and Gimme Shelter.

Date: July 29, 2022 13:41

Big Al
ProfessorWolf
Big Al
24FPS

I was born in 1983, so Undercover was the soon-to-be-released album. In fact, it was unleashed on the day I turned two-months’ old.

I totally get where you’re coming from: it’s certainly the case with ‘older’ Stones fans, that there’s an attachment to the era that was ‘current’ when their fandom started. I’d often wonder why so many cite, say, Some Girls as their favourite. It’d baffle me that some would favour it over the ‘Big Four’ for instance, or, all those Decca singles. Of course, we know understand that they were sixteen when Miss You was initially aired and they have a throbbing nostalgia for all things 1978. However, you and I are both millennials, so we, unfortunately, missed out on those ‘glory day’ records. That’s why, I do believe post-golden period Stones fans don’t quite have the nostalgia for, say, a Voodoo Lounge, Bridges to Babylon, etc. Yet, thanks to Forty Licks and a wider exposure, there’s a love for the classics: Paint it, Black, (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction, and Gimme Shelter.

right you can't have nostalgia for something and a time you never conciously experienced

but that can be a good thing it allows you to be more open and excepting of there later work

i feel sort of bad for people who got to experience exile or some girls or the jones era first hand and now have to listen to and judge everything that came after by that criteria not just by the quality of the music but by the impossible things to replicate like the how it made them feel and what it meant to them at that time

voodoolounge13 has spoken about this before about how much he loves voodoo lounge and what it means to him not just because of the quality of the music but because as an adolescent it spoke to him in a way that nothing after or before it ever could again because its his stones and his stones album

sorry if i'm rambling incoherently but i hope i got my point across

Date: July 29, 2022 18:55

ProfessorWolf
Big Al
ProfessorWolf
Big Al
24FPS

I totally get where you’re coming from: it’s certainly the case with ‘older’ Stones fans, that there’s an attachment to the era that was ‘current’ when their fandom started. I’d often wonder why so many cite, say, Some Girls as their favourite. It’d baffle me that some would favour it over the ‘Big Four’ for instance, or, all those Decca singles. Of course, we know understand that they were sixteen when Miss You was initially aired and they have a throbbing nostalgia for all things 1978. However, you and I are both millennials, so we, unfortunately, missed out on those ‘glory day’ records. That’s why, I do believe post-golden period Stones fans don’t quite have the nostalgia for, say,

right you can't have nostalgia for something and a time you never conciously experienced

but that can be a good thing it allows you to be more open and excepting of there later work

i feel sort of bad for people who got to experience exile or some girls or the jones era first hand and now have to listen to and judge everything that came after by that criteria not just by the quality of the music but by the impossible things to replicate like the how it made them feel and what it meant to them at that time

voodoolounge13 has spoken about this before about how much he loves voodoo lounge and what it means to him not just because of the quality of the music but because as an adolescent it spoke to him in a way that nothing after or before it ever could again because its his stones and his stones album

sorry if i'm rambling incoherently but i hope i got my point across

Of course you’re not rambling. It’s another fine post thumbs up

You and I may not be able to be nostalgic over the times that came before our existence, but we can love and appreciate all that great music equally as much! Which we do, of course!

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 29, 2022 21:15

24FPS

you don't lack presumption, wonder what you might discover

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 29, 2022 21:22

that thief in the night or how can I stop or thru and thru might shadow many tracks on goats or iorr or even buttons

Date: July 31, 2022 15:45

bitusa2012
treaclefingers
mailexile67

It’s been 17 years since the last Rolling Stones album of originals. SEVENTEEN years despite a near on continuous drip feed of working on it, should be out next year, this year, I’m on the bass on a lot of tracks we’re working on, I’ve got several killer riffs, we’re in the studio now, mick and I are listening to stuff now that we laid down…etc etc etc, Honestly, I t’s pathetic and sad that the worlds greatest ever band can’t get a dozen new tracks done in SEVENTEEN years. They can disagree on musical direction, but to NOT be able to agree on twelve tracks?? Good god. The well has run dry and the worlds most expensive cruise ship band (to see) sails on…

I don't think anyone's going to argue that isn't sad, however just pointing out there has been a significant amount of material during that time, and I didn't even mention the box set extra tracks of which Some Girls deluxe really could stand out as easily as a separate album on it's own.

The sad part is that they don't seem to be able to create effectively together any longer, but that hasn't mean they haven't compensated with an awful lot of content despite that fact.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1878
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home