Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: Keith in 2022
Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: July 29, 2022 18:57

MartinB
I thought this thread was about Keith in 2022?

Lol, me too! I’m thinking Keith may do some acoustic set house concerts next year if the band stops touring cuz he’s def raring to go

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: July 29, 2022 19:00

This topic smells the end of tour. No sense. Classical

See you in London july 2023, if everything's ok for US

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: July 29, 2022 19:01

Lady Jayne
keefriffhards
Lady Jayne
Some of this debate is ridiculous. I was at the UK shows and Mick was in good voice, very energetic and looked as if he was enjoying himself. Since then he's had Covid and I am astonished, given the extreme weather conditions at the time of the Lyons show, that they could perform at all. But to say he can't cope with the workload of a tour on the basis of cutting a song from the set list and some voice adjustments at a couple of shows is bizarre. Mick is and always has been the most professional of the Stones, and, frankly, much as I love Keith and Ronnie, it is Mick that keeps this show on the road and has done for decades. He's in his eightieth year - anything could happen and it can't go on forever, but instead of seeing doom and gloom with every missed note or set list gripe, I wish we could forgo the dismal predictions and enjoy them for what they are.

Well you are saying Mick is above criticism, we wouldn't have anything to say if we just said well they are old so we can't say anything other than praise upon praise. This place would drop off with virtually no posters if that were the case, we are passionate about all aspects of this band and the Stones are still in the game, still charging top dollar.

Most of us discussing are full on Stones nerds, we pick up on everything, if i was going to talk about professionalism and the limits that you can go to and giving it all for your paying customers it's worthy of a mention my experience with The Who, i've seen them a bunch of times. One time Pete did his windmill and put the tremolo bar through his right hand and he ran off stage not to return and the band played the last few songs without him.

Another time Roger lost his voice at Wembley and walked off stage not to return with a few songs left to sing and Pete took to the mic stand and sang them for him instead.

That was amazing i thought, i couldn't believe my eyes, it was an instant decision and they finished the gigs. Just saying that you don't necessarily have to drop songs when you don't feel 100%.

That's not what I'm saying at all. No one is above criticism and performers are going to get good, bad and indifferent reviews throughout their career. But it's one thing to say Mick's vocals weren't up to standard on any given night, in Germany or wherever or you are disappointed that a set list contained 18 and not 19 numbers, but quite another to catastrophise on the basis of inevitable fluctuations in vocal strength (or Keith having a little sit down half way through 2 hours) and say the Stones aren't up to stadium tours any more. That's patently nonsense. There have been some brilliant shows on this tour, not simply good for their ages, but really excellent, exemplified by great professional reviews in the media and from very experienced fans on here. At Liverpool and particularly in Hyde Park and saw and heard youngsters who were seeing them for the first time and were blown away.
Your Who illustrations are interesting but I'm not sure if you really believe its an option for an understudy to fill in for Mick on vocals and that would cause less disatisfaction with the paying public than hearing one less song (the majority of the crowd probably had no idea). I can't picture Keith taking over the vocals on Gimme Shelter to fill in for Mick, for a variety of reasons. He hasn't got the voice, he probably doesn't know the words, he can barely sing secondary chorus and play at the same time, he's not a front-man and never has been.

I agree with most of what you say, i think this tour has been outstanding, especially happy with Keith, i'm sorry but i just see Mick now as giving a super human effort to get through these 14 shows as opposed to being comfortable in their completion. I think it would be probably a good idea to finish stadium Rock before it finishes them. Obviously i want to see them continue, i've loved seeing this tour through youtube and the show i attended. I just don't want to see Mick over do it and go down with his heart disease, there is only so much an 80 year old heart can take, Mick has to cover too much stage at a stadium, he would be for more comfortable extending the longevity of this band in Arenas etc and the outdoor elements of stadiums do harm his voice.

Ps i think you will be surprised how well Keith sang Gimme Shelter with his solo band, different approach to Mick but cool as can be and well received.

Posted by: RaiseTheKnife ()
Date: July 29, 2022 19:08

Keith singing Gimme Shelter in the 90's was better and more authentic than any version with Mick since 2012 at least. Steve's drumming was much cooler back then also when he didn't play like he was afraid of stepping on someone's toes.

Date: July 29, 2022 19:20

RaiseTheKnife
Keith singing Gimme Shelter in the 90's was better and more authentic than any version with Mick since 2012 at least. Steve's drumming was much cooler back then also when he didn't play like he was afraid of stepping on someone's toes.

Sorry mate but my version has Keiths guitar higher in the mix, much better haha
Click on link below
[www.youtube.com]

Date: July 29, 2022 19:34

AntoineParis

So us plus london? More europe dates?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 29, 2022 23:46

I suspect the only real possibility for 2023 is Europe Part 2 in keeping with the model they've followed since 2017.

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: July 29, 2022 23:47

"us" aka we
i don't mean USA...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 30, 2022 00:34

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 06230 ()
Date: July 30, 2022 00:38

RisingStone
hockenheim95
RisingStone
Whale
RisingStone
Well, it’s not always the case I have to say.

At HP2, he was off, more or less, for instance.
And he also disappeared for a while during miss you

Exactly. I pointed it out on the HP2 thread.

He disappears for Miss You at mainly every show! In Paris he was backstage until the "walking central park" part. It's a rest for him! he deserves it!

Even so, I felt his non-existence during MY at HP2 exceptionally long.
Are you all for real or just high school punks who have never left mummy daddy money? WTF are saying you really silly young morons. ? Quote. This is the greatness . For God's sake just enjoy cause this could be it. Stop being so shameful.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: July 30, 2022 01:59

RaiseTheKnife

not to bad here in 2015 with some friends

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: July 30, 2022 02:47

High school punks, carry the news!
Silly young morons, I want to hear you!

Date: July 30, 2022 02:54

AntoineParis

Sounds like you have some insider information — is it the long-rumored RAH?smiling smiley

On the other hand, you posted this on the RAH gig thread [on March 20]:

AntoineParis
A gig between hyde park gigs ? Sure

RAH ? Sure no, another place in London

This London gig (wherever it may have been) didn’t materialize, obviously, after allsad smiley

[iorr.org]

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: July 30, 2022 03:15

keefriffhards
Lady Jayne
Some of this debate is ridiculous. I was at the UK shows and Mick was in good voice, very energetic and looked as if he was enjoying himself. Since then he's had Covid and I am astonished, given the extreme weather conditions at the time of the Lyons show, that they could perform at all. But to say he can't cope with the workload of a tour on the basis of cutting a song from the set list and some voice adjustments at a couple of shows is bizarre. Mick is and always has been the most professional of the Stones, and, frankly, much as I love Keith and Ronnie, it is Mick that keeps this show on the road and has done for decades. He's in his eightieth year - anything could happen and it can't go on forever, but instead of seeing doom and gloom with every missed note or set list gripe, I wish we could forgo the dismal predictions and enjoy them for what they are.

Well you are saying Mick is above criticism, we wouldn't have anything to say if we just said well they are old so we can't say anything other than praise upon praise. This place would drop off with virtually no posters if that were the case, we are passionate about all aspects of this band and the Stones are still in the game, still charging top dollar.

Most of us discussing are full on Stones nerds, we pick up on everything, if i was going to talk about professionalism and the limits that you can go to and giving it all for your paying customers it's worthy of a mention my experience with The Who, i've seen them a bunch of times. One time Pete did his windmill and put the tremolo bar through his right hand and he ran off stage not to return and the band played the last few songs without him.

Another time Roger lost his voice at Wembley and walked off stage not to return with a few songs left to sing and Pete took to the mic stand and sang them for him instead.

That was amazing i thought, i couldn't believe my eyes, it was an instant decision and they finished the gigs. Just saying that you don't necessarily have to drop songs when you don't feel 100%.

are you talking about the incident at the tacoma dome in 89

and then rodger finished the show with hey joe and born on the bayou

my mom was at this show and remembers this well

i've wonder what the stones would have done if keith broke his hand or something in the middle of a show in 89

Posted by: 06230 ()
Date: July 30, 2022 03:16

RisingStone
High school punks, carry the news!
Silly young morons, I want to hear you!
And I live by the river. London calling.

And do know what they said...some of it was true

Date: July 30, 2022 03:43

And after all this, won't you give me a smile?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 30, 2022 06:57

keefriffhards
Lady Jayne

That is The Who.

You don't know what Mick's 100% is compared to anyone else. Mick has probably done plenty of shows feeling 50%. Didn't realize the performance health of an artist was quantifiable to a percentage.

Michael Jordan was Michael Jordan. No one else since has done what he did period.

Just saying you just compared a maple tree to a space ship.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 30, 2022 10:21

Mick is not the problem I repeat. He is a total professional. If the live future of the Stones is questioned tomorrow, it will be about Keith and Ronnie.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: July 30, 2022 10:46

Yes that was the show ProfessorWolf , thanks for posting. Pete returned the favor at Wenbley Arena when Roger walked off stage frustrated with his voice, Roger didn't return , no one could find him so Pete sang the last few songs, the crown loved it everyone went home happy.

Gaslightstreet, i have no idea what you are trying to say mate,i just thought it was an interesting story about The Who, i was blown away but the Stones will always be the greatest for me, have a nice day.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-30 10:51 by keefriffhards.

Date: July 30, 2022 11:18

[www.youtube.com]
When i watch this With Babi Floyd and Sarah Dash on backing vocals it comes home to me why the Wino's were so good, the song slowly builds to a crescendo of passion and power, i think this is how the song was intended to be delivered live when KEITH WROTE IT, it kind of gets showbiz cheesy and lost when Mick and Sasha perform it, it deviates from the guitars where it should shine, i'm not even sure a solo spot on GS works properly when you compare it to how Keith worked it when he sang it, it's pure genius.

Posted by: Virgin Priest ()
Date: July 30, 2022 11:22

I started this topic in praise of Keith.

And then... such a meandering thread. Analyzing their level of performance. What a foolish discussion!!

The Stones are almost 80. Still performing with amazing quality and energy.

We should be glad, to have them still around. Period.

Have a nice day and best wishes from Cologne!

Priest

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 30, 2022 11:26

Virgin Priest

And then... such a meandering thread. Analyzing their level of performance. What a foolish discussion!!

Priest

You got to see the positive which is Keith is doing a solid run of shows so we had to find something else to bitch about

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: July 30, 2022 11:29

keefriffhards
[www.youtube.com]
When i watch this With Babi Floyd and Sarah Dash on backing vocals it comes home to me why the Wino's were so good, the song slowly builds to a crescendo of passion and power, i think this is how the song was intended to be delivered live when KEITH WROTE IT, it kind of gets showbiz cheesy and lost when Mick and Sasha perform it, it deviates from the guitars where it should shine, i'm not even sure a solo spot on GS works properly when you compare it to how Keith worked it when he sang it, it's pure genius.

It is an interesting alternative interpretation and you are right I was surprised to watch it, so thanks to you and ProfessorWolf and RaiseTheKnife for the clips.

Date: July 30, 2022 11:38

The threatening and oppressive aspect of GImme Shelter and the plaintive one of Can't you hear me knocking have disappeared live today

Date: July 30, 2022 11:45

Lady Jayne
keefriffhards
[www.youtube.com]

It is an interesting alternative interpretation and you are right I was surprised to watch it, so thanks to you and ProfessorWolf and RaiseTheKnife for the clips.

I had a similar surprise from Mick, someone posted Micks solo performance of Gimme Shelter on his Australian tour, it absolutely blew me away, i had no idea he even did that tour and how huge it was, i've played the clip about 50 times now , amazing, it was the invention of the GS we see performed today.
[www.youtube.com]

Date: July 30, 2022 11:59

Virgin Priest

Priest

I feel your pain dude, last year Keith started the first half of the tour in great form, he took a dive towards the end of the tour and the haters came out of the woodwork. But i had more confidence the mood would stay positive when you started this thread, but the haters came out even though Keith has gone from strength to strength this year. I've never understood the Mick and Keith camps, i love them both as artists and performers, although as people i think Mick is more guarded so it makes him harder to love if you know what i mean, just never understood the Keith haters, they never honestly say what they hate about him, perhaps they don't know themselves.
Ok i've said far too much on this thread, sorry guys, back to Keith.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 30, 2022 12:12

RaiseTheKnife

Didn't Mick do similar 'forget the singing and the melody, and let's talk it thru and pose dramatically' version in some of his solo gigs back in the 80's, when his voice was shot.

I hear similar 'authentic' interpretations in karaoke bars.

- Doxa

Posted by: erad ()
Date: July 30, 2022 12:59

ProfessorWolf
keefriffhards
Lady Jayne

are you talking about the incident at the tacoma dome in 89

and then rodger finished the show with hey joe and born on the bayou

my mom was at this show and remembers this well

i've wonder what the stones would have done if keith broke his hand or something in the middle of a show in 89

Who's that on lead?

Date: July 30, 2022 14:22

The strength of the Winos Gimme Shelter version is that Waddy plays over and over again without ever stopping, what a power and groove.
The intermittent playing of Keith and Ronnie today detracts from the song, it floats like so many other songs.

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: July 30, 2022 15:33

Problem with both Gimme Shelter and Sympathy for the devil.They cant play them anymore.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1882
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home