Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7
Re: Keith in 2022
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 29, 2022 08:17

I reckon Mick just pretends ta be strugglin ....

you know same as how he does those pretend burps in interviews
or how he reckons he cant remember what album a certain song is from...

He's just pretends ta be old ta make us all feel better ...HHHHaaaaaa

Go Mick .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: July 29, 2022 09:04

Mick's 79 and getting over Covid.

I had it as a 54 y/o 3 months ago and it took me weeks before my energy levels recovered so let's cut him some slack.

Mick is awesome and it's great to see the band so clearly relishing every moment on stage. They're Happy.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 29, 2022 11:16

No problem with Mick who is still in exceptional shape. He has room to grow. This is not the case with Keith and Ronnie, physically of course, not to mention the fluctuating quality of their performance. What Mick does is still purely exceptional.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: July 29, 2022 11:50

ProfessorWolf
i think part of the issue your running into about your point with mick is the use of the word struggle

now i don't know if this is your intent or not but when i hear someone is struggling in the context of what mick does onstage i think seriously having trouble breathing, moving and singing

and from my point of view he's no where near that level of impairment onstage

now admittedly he has had some issues in lyon and he's been less animated and active onstage since then

and he may have some lingering issues from his bout with covid

hovever from my perspective these recent issues are not related to him struggling or pushing himself beyond his limits

but it's him knowing his limits and after nearly losing his voice in lyon and very likely losing it when he was ill

he simply knows his limits at any given time and is restraining himself and not exerting to much effort in his singing or physical movements

this is not struggling quite the the opposite he's being cautious for the last couple shows to make sure he won't end up struggling at the end

also yes he's slowed down physically since his mid 70's just look at a performance of midnight rambler from 2015 and then in 2022

that's to be expected he's only human and he's still performing at a physical level well beyond what a man his age is expected to or frankly should be able to

So you don't think i can use the word struggle when it comes to Micks voice for instance, we keep seeing him hardly singing and leaving it to backing singers, we see him request to skip songs or end them quicker. Don't get me wrong Mick is phenomenal for his age, no one comes close physically but i get the impression he's forcing himself to complete these shows where as Keith really is in every moment enjoying the whole experience, honestly i think Mick will call time on this now, i will be very surprised if we see the Stones tour again, Mick will stop while he's just about on top, he certainly isn't on top of his game towards the end of this tour.
Countless people have seen a dip in Micks performance this year, people have said he appears out of breath, he's lost a step or two, these are not my words, you have to admit he has slowed down since last year, watch him on Rambler he's just walking slowly, he was storming the hell out of it last year in comparison, i'm not being intimidated, i stick to what i say, Micks struggling to continue this sort of stadium show and i will bet he doesn't do a stadium tour again, so go and see them people because this is probably the last time they play to the masses, enjoy the last two shows and i hope Mick regains his second wind.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 29, 2022 12:00

again not looking to offend but you have to counter my impression that you're continually writing about one of them falling off the wagon and if it isn't one it's got to be the other

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: July 29, 2022 12:23

keefriffhards
ProfessorWolf
i think part of the issue your running into about your point with mick is the use of the word struggle

now i don't know if this is your intent or not but when i hear someone is struggling in the context of what mick does onstage i think seriously having trouble breathing, moving and singing

now admittedly he has had some issues in lyon and he's been less animated and active onstage since then

hovever from my perspective these recent issues are not related to him struggling or pushing himself beyond his limits

but it's him knowing his limits and after nearly losing his voice in lyon and very likely losing it when he was ill

he simply knows his limits at any given time and is restraining himself and not exerting to much effort in his singing or physical movements

this is not struggling quite the the opposite he's being cautious for the last couple shows to make sure he won't end up struggling at the end

also yes he's slowed down physically since his mid 70's just look at a performance of midnight rambler from 2015 and then in 2022

that's to be expected he's only human and he's still performing at a physical level well beyond what a man his age is expected to or frankly should be able to

So you don't think i can use the word struggle when it comes to Micks voice for instance, we keep seeing him hardly singing and leaving it to backing singers, we see him request to skip songs or end them quicker. Don't get me wrong Mick is phenomenal for his age, no one comes close physically but i get the impression he's forcing himself to complete these shows where as Keith really is in every moment enjoying the whole experience, honestly i think Mick will call time on this now, i will be very surprised if we see the Stones tour again, Mick will stop while he's just about on top, he certainly isn't on top of his game towards the end of this tour.
Countless people have seen a dip in Micks performance this year, people have said he appears out of breath, he's lost a step or two, these are not my words, you have to admit he has slowed down since last year, watch him on Rambler he's just walking slowly, he was storming the hell out of it last year in comparison, i'm not being intimidated, i stick to what i say, Micks struggling to continue this sort of stadium show and i will bet he doesn't do a stadium tour again, so go and see them people because this is probably the last time they play to the masses, enjoy the last two shows and i hope mick regains his second wind.

in lyon yes struggle may have applied a bit at the end

but what i've seen since points to him being paranoid about losing his voice and being cautious

and perhaps feeling his age a bit more so he's moving and dancing less onstage

i'm not convinced he's in some kind of crisis

but maybe your seeing something in mick the rest of us aren't

in which case you'll have some rightfully earned bragging rights in the future

well have to see

i expect them to be back on the road sometime after the holidays next year unless they say otherwise

and i promise you might intent is not to intimidate you at all

if i've come off like that i wholeheartedly apologize

Date: July 29, 2022 12:38

ProfessorWolf
keefriffhards
ProfessorWolf

Countless people have seen a dip in Micks performance this year, people have said he appears out of breath, he's lost a step or two, these are not my words, you have to admit he has slowed down since last year, watch him on Rambler he's just walking slowly, he was storming the hell out of it last year in comparison, i'm not being intimidated, i stick to what i say, Micks struggling to continue this sort of stadium show and i will bet he doesn't do a stadium tour again, so go and see them people because this is probably the last time they play to the masses, enjoy the last two shows and i hope mick regains his second wind.

but what i've seen since points to him being paranoid about losing his voice and being cautious

well have to see

i expect them to be back on the road sometime after the holidays next year unless they say otherwise

No you are not intimidating mate, far from it, but others chime in and gang up if Mick is mentioned in any other context other than he's perfect all the time.
People pay to see a full show, not an edited version because Micks not sure of his voice, Keith looked surprised to have GS cut completely the other day and then cut short in Germany.
I think Mick is an all or nothing man, and he will probably know himself it's like when the boxer goes to the well and it runs dry, he never knows which fight it will happen as he ages. Well Micks had a few warnings and i think he will call it a day if he thinks he can't give anything other than !00%. As you said yourself you think he's paranoid about loosing his voice, is that really enjoying himself onstage.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: July 29, 2022 13:05

keefriffhards
ProfessorWolf
keefriffhards
ProfessorWolf

well have to see

No you are not intimidating mate, far from it, but others chime in and gang up if Mick is mentioned in any other context other than he's perfect all the time.
People pay to see a full show, not an edited version because Micks not sure of his voice, Keith looked surprised to have GS cut completely the other day and then cut short in Germany.
I think Mick is an all or nothing man, and he will probably know himself it's like when the boxer goes to the well and it runs dry, he never knows which fight it will happen as he ages. Well Micks had a few warnings and i think he will call it a day if he thinks he can't give anything other than !00%. As you said yourself you think he's paranoid about loosing his voice, is that really enjoying himself onstage.

well he's been paranoid about losing his voice for decades (and not without good reason) but this tour with covid and the issues in lyon has obviously been more concerning to him then recent tours

i think your right though if he's not enjoying the experience and having trouble performing to his own personal standard he'll stop

but he's been adjusting that standard for himself for decades and i'm sure he'll do it again

maybe it'll be the end of massive stadium tours and instead they switch to playing shorter sets in theatres and arenas were he doesn't have to exert himself so much

i really do belevie mick will continue performing in someway onstage for the rest of his life with or without the stones

but

Date: July 29, 2022 13:34

Nikkei
again not looking to offend but you have to counter my impression that you're continually writing about one of them falling off the wagon and if it isn't one it's got to be the other

Not meaning to offend but you and others were saying Keith had dementia last year and long before that. Now can you see it wasn't that.

Ive been completely in support of Mick and Keith this whole tour.

This is my first negative mention of Mick, not a mention of drink one time because obviously Keith has been completely sober the whole time and it shows.

What pissed me off the other day was Mick cutting the show short because of his voice or whatever, if i was at that show i'd think well why can't Mick take a back seat and let the band play it with the backing singers, it's like saying if i'm not 100% you go without, why not let Keith play a 3rd song like before, did they cut shows short because Keith was under performing, no you just deliver as best you can and try to cover for him.

I got too much on to fend and prove on here today, i stick to what i say, i'm sure next time round the Stones are going to need to scale the workload down a bit, Arenas etc, maybe to a few festivals next year, a pay per view live event, Mick still has plenty to offer and lots of options left.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-29 13:51 by keefriffhards.

Date: July 29, 2022 14:05

Mick has never been the Stones' weak point, on the contrary, he is the symbol of longevity and stage presence. Keith and Ronnie on the contrary are the weak points, unpredictable and too often well below the level of Mick always professional and involved.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 29, 2022 14:17

well said powerage78.

The fact that these guys are out there still performing is a miracle. Not sure how much longer the show will go on....enjoy what's left...I loved the Tampa show last fall....Ghost Town and the Some Girls set was poignant.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: July 29, 2022 15:13

keefriffhards
Micks struggling to continue this sort of stadium show and i will bet he doesn't do a stadium tour again, so go and see them people because this is probably the last time they play to the masses

We will seeā€¦

Date: July 29, 2022 15:57

keefriffhards
Nikkei

Not meaning to offend but you and others were saying Keith had dementia last year and long before that. Now can you see it wasn't that.

I have never said that Keith or anyone in the band suffered from dementia. You don't get off the hook with me that easily just because I happened to say something critical before that I'm sure had to have been something else.

Date: July 29, 2022 16:39

jeez this topic.....

Date: July 29, 2022 16:40

Nikkei
keefriffhards
Nikkei

I have never said that Keith or anyone in the band suffered from dementia. You don't get off the hook with me that easily just because I happened to say something critical before that I'm sure had to have been something else.

Yes you did Pal, you was saying Keith's problems were not drink or weed, you said he was showing early stages of senility
You remarked his beanie hat was filthy and made a big deal about it saying someone should not have let him go on stage like that as if he wasn't in a mental state himself to know.
You know i'm telling the truth, lots of posters here have been saying it for years that Keith was suffering from dementia and connective issues. Don't think you can wriggle out of this one Nikkei.

Date: July 29, 2022 16:43

keefriffhards
Nikkei
keefriffhards
Nikkei

Yes you did Pal, you was saying Keith's problems were not drink or weed, you said he was showing early stages of senility
You remarked his beanie hat was filthy and made a big deal about it saying someone should not have let him go on stage like that as if he wasn't in a mental state himself to know.
You know i'm telling the truth, lots of posters here have been saying it for years that Keith was suffering from dementia and connective issues. Don't think you can wriggle out of this one Nikkei.

Yes the thing about the beanie this one time puzzles me to this day but I don't see that as a medical condition. Just wondered how that could possibly happen when he clearly has four or five of them

Date: July 29, 2022 16:56

Nikkei
keefriffhards
Nikkei
keefriffhards
Nikkei

Yes the thing about the beanie this one time puzzles me to this day but I don't see that as a medical condition. Just wondered how that could possibly happen when he clearly has four or five of them

Not to worry, you insinuated then, you didn't say it in so many words but others have, it is what it is, Keith has proved he is healthy and in good mental shape, he's over his addictions, we are all happy about that, it's all good.

Date: July 29, 2022 17:04

You know what I worried about there was mostly their staff. Same as in Hamburg 2017. I'd like to think there's not an intimidated atmosphere backstage

Date: July 29, 2022 17:30

Nikkei
You know what I worried about there was mostly their staff. Same as in Hamburg 2017. I'd like to think there's not an intimidated atmosphere backstage

Can you elaborate please Nikkei.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: July 29, 2022 17:30

Some of this debate is ridiculous. I was at the UK shows and Mick was in good voice, very energetic and looked as if he was enjoying himself. Since then he's had Covid and I am astonished, given the extreme weather conditions at the time of the Lyons show, that they could perform at all. But to say he can't cope with the workload of a tour on the basis of cutting a song from the set list and some voice adjustments at a couple of shows is bizarre. Mick is and always has been the most professional of the Stones, and, frankly, much as I love Keith and Ronnie, it is Mick that keeps this show on the road and has done for decades. He's in his eightieth year - anything could happen and it can't go on forever, but instead of seeing doom and gloom with every missed note or set list gripe, I wish we could forgo the dismal predictions and enjoy them for what they are.

Date: July 29, 2022 17:37

keefriffhards
Nikkei

Can you elaborate please Nikkei.

I hope their crew having directly to do with them feel free to speak up. I've tended to make dumb mistakes when I felt intimidated by the presence of my boss.

Date: July 29, 2022 17:39

Hope your alright Nikkei cause from what I am reading I am worried about you.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 29, 2022 17:45

I look forward to the inevitable elder abuse threads yet to come.

This is IORR. I recall a series of posts where people were trying to decide if it was a shadow from lighting or if Keith wet himself during one of his lead vocal turns.

Date: July 29, 2022 17:48

PaintMonkeyManBlack
Hope your alright Nikkei cause from what I am reading I am worried about you.

Thanks I am feeling reasonably well. Again I believe many of the staff worked with them for years or even decades but imagine having your first day on the job and then the job is doing the make-up for Keith? That must be a bit daunting

Date: July 29, 2022 17:53

Lady Jayne
Some of this debate is ridiculous. I was at the UK shows and Mick was in good voice, very energetic and looked as if he was enjoying himself. Since then he's had Covid and I am astonished, given the extreme weather conditions at the time of the Lyons show, that they could perform at all. But to say he can't cope with the workload of a tour on the basis of cutting a song from the set list and some voice adjustments at a couple of shows is bizarre. Mick is and always has been the most professional of the Stones, and, frankly, much as I love Keith and Ronnie, it is Mick that keeps this show on the road and has done for decades. He's in his eightieth year - anything could happen and it can't go on forever, but instead of seeing doom and gloom with every missed note or set list gripe, I wish we could forgo the dismal predictions and enjoy them for what they are.

Well you are saying Mick is above criticism, we wouldn't have anything to say if we just said well they are old so we can't say anything other than praise upon praise. This place would drop off with virtually no posters if that were the case, we are passionate about all aspects of this band and the Stones are still in the game, still charging top dollar.

Most of us discussing are full on Stones nerds, we pick up on everything, if i was going to talk about professionalism and the limits that you can go to and giving it all for your paying customers it's worthy of a mention my experience with The Who, i've seen them a bunch of times. One time Pete did his windmill and put the tremolo bar through his right hand and he ran off stage not to return and the band played the last few songs without him.

Another time Roger lost his voice at Wembley and walked off stage not to return with a few songs left to sing and Pete took to the mic stand and sang them for him instead.

That was amazing i thought, i couldn't believe my eyes, it was an instant decision and they finished the gigs. Just saying that you don't necessarily have to drop songs when you don't feel 100%.

Date: July 29, 2022 17:55

Yeah but you could also make the case that doing the windmill is unprofessional guitar playing.

Date: July 29, 2022 17:58

Nikkei
Yeah but you could also make the case that doing the windmill is unprofessional guitar playing.

grinning smiley

Date: July 29, 2022 18:24

no worse than Ronnie and his I raise my arm grinning smiley

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: July 29, 2022 18:24

keefriffhards
Lady Jayne

Well you are saying Mick is above criticism, we wouldn't have anything to say if we just said well they are old so we can't say anything other than praise upon praise. This place would drop off with virtually no posters if that were the case, we are passionate about all aspects of this band and the Stones are still in the game, still charging top dollar.

Most of us discussing are full on Stones nerds, we pick up on everything, if i was going to talk about professionalism and the limits that you can go to and giving it all for your paying customers it's worthy of a mention my experience with The Who, i've seen them a bunch of times. One time Pete did his windmill and put the tremolo bar through his right hand and he ran off stage not to return and the band played the last few songs without him.

Another time Roger lost his voice at Wembley and walked off stage not to return with a few songs left to sing and Pete took to the mic stand and sang them for him instead.

That was amazing i thought, i couldn't believe my eyes, it was an instant decision and they finished the gigs. Just saying that you don't necessarily have to drop songs when you don't feel 100%.

That's not what I'm saying at all. No one is above criticism and performers are going to get good, bad and indifferent reviews throughout their career. But it's one thing to say Mick's vocals weren't up to standard on any given night, in Germany or wherever or you are disappointed that a set list contained 18 and not 19 numbers, but quite another to catastrophise on the basis of inevitable fluctuations in vocal strength (or Keith having a little sit down half way through 2 hours) and say the Stones aren't up to stadium tours any more. That's patently nonsense. There have been some brilliant shows on this tour, not simply good for their ages, but really excellent, exemplified by great professional reviews in the media and from very experienced fans on here. At Liverpool and particularly in Hyde Park and saw and heard youngsters who were seeing them for the first time and were blown away.
Your Who illustrations are interesting but I'm not sure if you really believe its an option for an understudy to fill in for Mick on vocals and that would cause less disatisfaction with the paying public than hearing one less song (the majority of the crowd probably had no idea). I can't picture Keith taking over the vocals on Gimme Shelter to fill in for Mick, for a variety of reasons. He hasn't got the voice, he probably doesn't know the words, he can barely sing secondary chorus and play at the same time, he's not a front-man and never has been.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: July 29, 2022 18:33

I thought this thread was about Keith in 2022?

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1801
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home