Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7
Re: Keith in 2022
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 28, 2022 20:07

guitarbastard
lets be honest: all keith adds to the liveshows nowadays is his persona, his charisma and that is very important of course. but when people say keith is playing great or better than ever - well thats just not true. he even makes terrible mistakes on songs he played a million times. he struggles to keep the rhythm and the leads like on sympathy are just awefull to listen to. but then again he is keith richards and when he playes those jumpping jack flash chords or any other riff its still one the best things to witness.

thumbs up

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: July 28, 2022 20:14

He still has a great presence on stage. When he seems to be having a good time and enjoying it, it increases my enjoyment, even if he is screwing up the odd chord or misses his intros. They won't be here forever, let's enjoy it while we can.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: July 28, 2022 20:28

Hairball
guitarbastard
lets be honest: all keith adds to the liveshows nowadays is his persona, his charisma and that is very important of course. but when people say keith is playing great or better than ever - well thats just not true. he even makes terrible mistakes on songs he played a million times. he struggles to keep the rhythm and the leads like on sympathy are just awefull to listen to. but then again he is keith richards and when he playes those jumpping jack flash chords or any other riff its still one the best things to witness.

thumbs up
Yes, it's more about charisma than his playing.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: July 28, 2022 20:44

More Hot Rocks
keefriffhards
guitarbastard

As i suspected this will turn into a lets kick Keith in the teeth thread for the haters.
You obviously haven't been watching Keith very closely this tour, he really is playing and moving very well, of course we can't expect Keith to play Sympathy like back in 89' 90, ' just as Mick can't perform like he did 33 years ago, it's impossible, but in the last two shows Keith has really done well on Sympathy plus he's holding the band together, driving the band and helping Ronnie along too.

I love how sympathetic Ronnie and Keith have always been towards each others playing, i actually think Keith has helped Ronnie to get back to a good standard this tour, you see him coaxing Ronnie along, i've really enjoyed this tour and i think the shows have been to a higher standard and possibly that's down to Keith.

Can I agree with both comments?

Yeah i see what you mean, in a way we are both right and like so often on iorr we are talking across each other winking smiley

Posted by: RG ()
Date: July 28, 2022 22:58

Only at the Amsterdam show Keith wasn’t Keith.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 28, 2022 23:01

RG

I've seen his CYHMK there so who was he then?

Date: July 28, 2022 23:08

Nikkei
RG

His playing was not bad, but he didn’t do any walks at the catwalk in Amsterdam. No interactions with the audience. For almost the whole show he stood next to Jordan. It looks like he was not feeling well. It just struck me that he was physically different from other shows.

Date: July 28, 2022 23:14

Yes the standing next to the drums thing can happen but I wouldn't read too much into that. It's probably just the grooviest there.

Date: July 28, 2022 23:23

RG
Nikkei
RG

His playing was not bad, but he didn’t do any walks at the catwalk in Amsterdam. No interactions with the audience. For almost the whole show he stood next to Jordan. It looks like he was not feeling well. It just struck me that he was physically different from other shows.

It was said that Keith was sick the morning of the Amsterdam show ? and that the gig was almost cancelled.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: July 28, 2022 23:24

Walking at the catwalk is just parafernalia.

Date: July 28, 2022 23:28

wat

Date: July 28, 2022 23:31

keefriffhards
RG
Nikkei
RG

It was said that Keith was sick the morning of the Amsterdam show ? and that the gig was almost cancelled.

Heard some of these rumours too.

Posted by: rollingloc ()
Date: July 28, 2022 23:39

guitarbastard

Great to read something objective!
When I read best show ever on that tour... Let's be serious! Keith is not the same since ABB tour and his accident!
It's still great to see them live, and we're lucky fans to have chosen that band!
I saw them in 1995 for the first time and until 2006-2007, i saw them 22 times and each time I took my dose of riffs and solos by keef! It was magic!

Mick is the master of the game now!

Date: July 29, 2022 00:13

rollingloc
guitarbastard

When I read best show ever on that tour... Let's be serious! Keith is not the same since ABB tour and his accident!
It's still great to see them live, and we're lucky fans to have chosen that band!
I saw them in 1995 for the first time and until 2006-2007, i saw them 22 times and each time I took my dose of riffs and solos by keef! It was magic!

Mick has very much been struggling this tour, Ronnie too, could have been receiving Immunotherapy treatment for all we know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-29 00:17 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: mmurphy0817 ()
Date: July 29, 2022 00:32

Huh??? Mick has been struggling this tour????

Based on the posts here, other than Lyon and maybe last night, most everyone has said he is doing really well.

Date: July 29, 2022 00:39

No Mick, no Stones.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: July 29, 2022 00:57

keefriffhards
rollingloc
guitarbastard

Mick has very much been struggling this tour, Ronnie too, could have been receiving Immunotherapy treatment for all we know.

huhconfused smiley

i mean maybe in lyon but come on

Date: July 29, 2022 00:58

ProfessorWolf
keefriffhards
rollingloc
guitarbastard

huhconfused smiley

Seriously WTF is he talking about....

Date: July 29, 2022 00:58

mmurphy0817
Huh??? Mick has been struggling this tour????

Based on the posts here, other than Lyon and maybe last night, most everyone has said he is doing really well.

On the surface of it he does seem to be doing ok, but then you watch again and sometimes he's hardly singing letting the backing singers cover for him, then you notice he has slowed down a fair bit from other tours, also getting out of breath more, i think it's catching up with him now i'm sorry to say.
We get 18 songs ?? that's for a reason, Mick is the reason.

Date: July 29, 2022 01:02

Hairball
ProfessorWolf
keefriffhards
rollingloc
guitarbastard

huhconfused smiley

Why protest so strongly when only today you yourself said you thought Mick hasn't recovered from covid.

Date: July 29, 2022 01:06

keefriffhards
Hairball
ProfessorWolf
keefriffhards
rollingloc
guitarbastard

huhconfused smiley

Why protest so strongly when only today you yourself said you thought Mick hasn't recovered from covid.

You said "Mick has very much been struggling this tour" insinuating every show.
You also claim Ronnie is a weak link in the same breath.
Don't be an idiot.

Date: July 29, 2022 01:11

Hairball
keefriffhards
Hairball
ProfessorWolf
keefriffhards
rollingloc
guitarbastard

huhconfused smiley

You said "Mick has very much been struggling this tour" insinuating every show.
You also claim Ronnie is a weak link in the same breath.
Don't be an idiot.

Why the insults, Mick has been on and off in my opinion, these are your words.

I'd think his bout with Covid hasn't helped his energy supply, and has probably played a part in his running out of steam.. While he evidently "recovered" relatively quickly from the virus,
there's sometimes lingering effects and symptoms - especially with a 78 year old person (now 79). He was fine throughout all of last years shows, but then again he didn't catch Covid.

Date: July 29, 2022 01:23

Mick didn't catch Covid until after liverpool, and was 100% fine until then. He bounced back and was great until Lyon. He then bounced back in Paris at 100%, but then ran out of steam in Gelsenkirchen.
Yet you clearly are insinuating he's been struggling the entire tour. Also, my post was in reply to maumau and BowieStone in another thread, and to put it all back in to proper context:

BowieStone
maumau
looking now at some clips, was Mick alright last night? he looks very tired on some

Yes. I noticed it straight away.
He seemed tired, but made his way through the show like the pro he is.
He moved and danced much less than previous shows. But less doesn’t mean worse. His talking to the audience felt obliged… normally he seems to enjoy that.
It feels like he miscalculated his energy for the tour and has run a little bit out of steam. Pretty sure that’s why we got 18 songs yesterday.
Still… the man is a pro and that’s what he/we can always rely on.

I wasn't just blowing hot air like you seem to always be doing.
And now you're speculating on Ronnie's recovery as a reason for him being weak:

"Ronnie too, could have been receiving Immunotherapy treatment for all we know".

Are you a Doctor?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-29 01:25 by Hairball.

Date: July 29, 2022 01:31

Hairball
Mick didn't catch Covid until after liverpool, and was 100% fine until then. He bounced back and was great until Lyon. He then bounced back in Paris at 100%, but then ran out of steam in Gelsenkirchen.
Yet you clearly are insinuating he's been struggling the entire tour. Also, my post was in reply to maumau and BowieStone in another thread, and to put it all back in to proper context:

BowieStone
maumau
looking now at some clips, was Mick alright last night? he looks very tired on some

He moved and danced much less than previous shows. But less doesn’t mean worse. His talking to the audience felt obliged… normally he seems to enjoy that.
It feels like he miscalculated his energy for the tour and has run a little bit out of steam. Pretty sure that’s why we got 18 songs yesterday.

"Ronnie too, could have been receiving Immunotherapy treatment for all we know".

Are you a Doctor?

I have a close friend who has had sclc so i know what might be going on, most would agree Ronnie has been weak ( although i'm happy to say he's been much better the last two shows ) and most would agree Mick appears to be running out of steam and has lost a step or two this tour, your words not mine.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: July 29, 2022 01:34

keefriffhards
Hairball

BowieStone
maumau

Are you a Doctor?

I have a close friend who has had sclc so i know what might be going on, most would agree Ronnie has been weak ( although i'm happy to say he's been much better the last two shows ) and most would agree Mick appears to be running out of steam and has lost a step or two this tour, your words not mine.

Were you actually at any of the shows or are your opinions coming from being a Youtuber? I caught 4 shows and didn't see any issues with Mick. Keith seemed subdued in Amsterdam but word is he had a stomach bug. Tour damn impressive especially considering their age.

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: July 29, 2022 01:36

I think Mick has been struggling this tour, not so much in terms of giving a bad performance, but it definitely has been a challenge for him to perform these shows.

He probably lost his voice before the cancelled Amsterdam show, and during soundcheck he realised it was impossible to put on a great show and had to cancel last minute. (Maybe he also had covid).

In Lyon he was struggling towards the end of the show but managed to recover until Paris.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-29 01:39 by EasterMan.

Date: July 29, 2022 01:44

keefriffhards
...most would agree Mick appears to be running out of steam and has lost a step or two this tour, your words not mine.

No, my words were in relation only to the Lyon and Gelsenkirchen shows, and in reply to maumau and BowieStone who were talking specifically about Gelsenkirchen .
Nowhere have I ever said Mick "has lost a step or two this tour", but clearly that's what you continue to say, ie. Mick and Ronnie are weak and struggling, while Keith is the greatest he's ever been.

But back on topic, I'd say guitarbastard made the most truthful valid post in this thread.

guitarbastard
lets be honest: all keith adds to the liveshows nowadays is his persona, his charisma and that is very important of course. but when people say keith is playing great or better than ever - well thats just not true. he even makes terrible mistakes on songs he played a million times. he struggles to keep the rhythm and the leads like on sympathy are just awefull to listen to. but then again he is keith richards and when he playes those jumpping jack flash chords or any other riff its still one the best things to witness..

Sad but true, but as mentioned it will always be a thrill to see Keith play some of his greatest riffs - especially when he plays them correctly.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-29 01:47 by Hairball.

Date: July 29, 2022 01:48

EasterMan
I think Mick has been struggling this tour, not so much in terms of giving a bad performance, but it definitely has been a challenge for him to perform these shows.

He probably lost his voice before the cancelled Amsterdam show, and during soundcheck he realised it was impossible to put on a great show and had to cancel last minute. (Maybe he also had covid).

In Lyon he was struggling towards the end of the show but managed to recover until Paris.

That's how i see it, it's been a great tour and the Stones are real troupers but you get the feeling it's been a struggle for Mick and Ronnie, i saw that with my own eyes at Hyde Park 2, i came away happy but at the same time felt sad that this could be the last time. There just comes a point in time when it's too problematic
Micks voice seems to be vulnerable even when he's performing at the top of his game, this is something that has been plaguing him for a decade now, probably the reason we only get one and a half shows a week on average throughout these tours.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 29, 2022 04:07

Jesus.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: July 29, 2022 04:52

i think part of the issue your running into about your point with mick is the use of the word struggle

now i don't know if this is your intent or not but when i hear someone is struggling in the context of what mick does onstage i think seriously having trouble breathing, moving and singing

and from my point of view he's no where near that level of impairment onstage

now admittedly he has had some issues in lyon and he's been less animated and active onstage since then

and he may have some lingering issues from his bout with covid

hovever from my perspective these recent issues are not related to him struggling or pushing himself beyond his limits

but it's him knowing his limits and after nearly losing his voice in lyon and very likely losing it when he was ill

he simply knows his limits at any given time and is restraining himself and not exerting to much effort in his singing or physical movements

this is not struggling quite the the opposite he's being cautious for the last couple shows to make sure he won't end up struggling at the end

also yes he's slowed down physically since his mid 70's just look at a performance of midnight rambler from 2015 and then in 2022

that's to be expected he's only human and he's still performing at a physical level well beyond what a man his age is expected to or frankly should be able to

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1905
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home