Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Is their logo the true long-term future of the $tones?
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 9, 2022 22:49

Irix
georgie48

For those who are in desperate need of seeing them perform, again, there are some many recordings, documentaries, etc. etc., after they have moved to the after life, that "vitual Stones" won't be needed.

Imagine a club-show where everything is real except the Stones themself. They would be virtual, but in life-size, in 3D and 360°.

Watching a concert at home on "DVD" is not the same as watching a live-show with others.

And the prices would be much less expensive, along with the possibility of many setlist changes from one show to the next- not just one song here or there.
Might not be as great as experiencing the real deal, but a variety of things that the current Stones have lost touch with could be brought back virtually...
They could even throw in a few mistakes from Keith and Ronnie here and there, and the occasional all around Stonesy sloppiness to make it as real as possible.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 9, 2022 23:00

Hairball

And the prices would be much less expensive

Not sure about that (due to the technical effort) - but agree with the rest about setlist-changes & making it as real as possible (incl. 'sloppiness').

Date: August 9, 2022 23:38

Irix
Hairball

And the prices would be much less expensive

Not sure about that (due to the technical effort) - but agree with the rest about setlist-changes & making it as real as possible (incl. 'sloppiness').

Well you're probably not going to be seeing $1500 VIP Pit tix!!!
Then again, anything's possible when it comes to money and the $TONE$...
Hope they include some Lucky Dips...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 10, 2022 03:00

Hairball
Irix
georgie48

For those who are in desperate need of seeing them perform, again, there are some many recordings, documentaries, etc. etc., after they have moved to the after life, that "vitual Stones" won't be needed.

Imagine a club-show where everything is real except the Stones themself. They would be virtual, but in life-size, in 3D and 360°.

Watching a concert at home on "DVD" is not the same as watching a live-show with others.

And the prices would be much less expensive, along with the possibility of many setlist changes from one show to the next- not just one song here or there.
Might not be as great as experiencing the real deal, but a variety of things that the current Stones have lost touch with could be brought back virtually...
They could even throw in a few mistakes from Keith and Ronnie here and there, and the occasional all around Stonesy sloppiness to make it as real as possible.

Could we include a virtual member of the crowd rushing the stage and have the virtual Keith swing his guitar at him?

Date: August 10, 2022 04:16

treaclefingers

Could we include a virtual member of the crowd rushing the stage and have the virtual Keith swing his guitar at him?

And as next a virtual Altamont? eye rolling smiley

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: August 10, 2022 07:43

I watched U23D in Sydney’s IMAX in 2008, having those special glasses (green-red) on. It could just as well have been at home on a home video screen. There is nothing like “a sharing feeling” with all the other viewers in the theatre. Also, there is no comparison with a real live U2 concert! (saw them in Amsterdam once). Frequently the band members changed in to artificial dolls. Almost creepy grinning smiley
In that same period they also showed Shine A Light in that same IMAX. No glasses needed. Still, no shared feeling, just watching a great concert like on your homescreen, only much larger. Difference, the black&white images were very blurry, blown up IMAX size.
I already feel sorry for those who may watch their favorite artist(s) as avatars or in whatever artificial shape. The chances of them feeling anything approaching the real thing are simply ZERO.

smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Date: August 10, 2022 11:25

georgie48

There is nothing like “a sharing feeling” with all the other viewers in the theatre.

Viewed in this way, there was also no “sharing feeling” with all the other spectators in Berlin Waldbühne (3-Aug-22) because people in the neighboring seats were strangers and not interested in each other.

3D green-red glasses are btw pretty low-tech (1970s TV) - there should be something better to depict it as real as possible. And strictly speaking tends in a movie the feeling approaching the real thing also against zero.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: August 10, 2022 12:18

I have no doubt at all that some version of a Virtual Stones Experience will be set up. For a commercially-savvy operation like Rolling Stones Inc. - or whatever it is called - it makes perfect sense. Indeed, for all we know, it may already be in hand, while Mick, Keith and Ronnie are available to contribute to it.

Views will vary enormously on its suitability, validity, relevance, appropriateness and so on. There will be impassioned discussions, arguments, debates, rows, probably anger and rancour too - which will be very sad.

Personally I would hate it. So will others. But there will be many many more who will love it and argue strongly in its favour. Good for them. It's a big world, and a world changed out of all recognition to the one The Stones exploded into in 1962-63. The band have created a wonderful body of work, and irrespective of the views of traditionally-minded musical purists like myself, The Stones have every right to utilise that body of work in whatever way they wish. And if I don't like it, and find myself annoyed by it, I DON'T HAVE TO ENGAGE WITH IT. I can go back and listen to my vast haul of Stones bootlegs and imagine, in my purist way, that I'm back again at one of the gigs on the Still Life tour in 1981.

Because if Rolling Stones Inc. don't set up some type of virtual experience SOMEONE ELSE WILL, and do so in a tacky, shoddy way, that does scant justice, either musically, technically, FINANCIALLY, or experientially to The Stones legacy.

And that would be awful!

Date: August 10, 2022 12:48

Irix
georgie48

There is nothing like “a sharing feeling” with all the other viewers in the theatre.

Viewed in this way, there was also no “sharing feeling” with all the other spectators in Berlin Waldbühne (3-Aug-22) because people in the neighboring seats were strangers and not interested in each other.

3D green-red glasses are btw pretty low-tech (1970s TV) - there should be something better to depict it as real as possible. And strictly speaking tends in a movie the feeling approaching the real thing also against zero.

Maybe particular kinds of people go to live concerts and isolate themselves from all the others, but myself and many, many others really share the concert experience with eachother. Exchanging smiles, chats in between songs, but already before the show starts, talking to strangers (who happen to share a same passion) , making new contacts, etc. It's quite amazing to learn from other fans' live, background, history as a Rolling Stones fan, etc. Sometimes exchanging eye contact with the artist(s) (and the Stones are on the top of the list in that repect!)
That is what I call the true live experience.
I know technology is improving all the time, I grew up with technology myself, but still today I find it pretty stupid to see people "walking around" with those huge 3D glasses. For sure it will be fun on an individual basis (I tried it once and that was enough for me) and many will grow up with all those changes, but I find it another way of increasing mass control.

cool smiley

Date: August 10, 2022 13:50

georgie48

Maybe particular kinds of people go to live concerts and isolate themselves from all the others, but myself and many, many others really share the concert experience with eachother.

I know that from Cologne and Düsseldorf, it's similar to the Netherlands. In e.g. Hamburg or Berlin there's a different mentality and people are more reserved.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 10, 2022 16:45

Posted by: PatrickS77 ()
Date: August 10, 2022 17:36

NilsHolgersson
I think with ABBA its different because they havent performed as a group in over 40 years and generations of people havent had the chance to see them. So a 'hologram' show is as close to a real concert as fans can get. Now with the Stones they've been performing longer than anyone can remember, and everybody has the chance to see them every 5 years or so. So who needs a hologram show when the real thing is still around? You're not going to get Mick saying funny things in your language about current events or Keith messing up or throwing out a brilliant solo you didnt expect

Exactly. It's ridiculous to even entertain/compare that thought.

Date: August 11, 2022 14:39

PatrickS77
NilsHolgersson
I think with ABBA its different because they havent performed as a group in over 40 years and generations of people havent had the chance to see them. So a 'hologram' show is as close to a real concert as fans can get. Now with the Stones they've been performing longer than anyone can remember, and everybody has the chance to see them every 5 years or so. So who needs a hologram show when the real thing is still around? You're not going to get Mick saying funny things in your language about current events or Keith messing up or throwing out a brilliant solo you didnt expect

I would love you to be right about everything you say. But, unfortunately, I'm not convinced. Why? There are a couple of reasons I believe. Firstly, how long more will they be around? The most optimistic estimate would surely be no more than about five years. Even that is highly unlikely. So someone, somewhere in the Stones business operation will think 'Okay, we may not have the real thing any longer, but, hey, a virtual concert is a good financial fallback option...' And, painful though it is for those who love the music, the hard fact is that The Rolling Stones have become a huge financial/business operation where commercial organisations that most of us never heard of have a financial stake in the band and a voice in the various decision-making processes.

Secondly, even if the band themselves, or their business associates, are not enthusiastic, they may well feel it necessary to do so simply to block off any pale pirate imitations that will, almost certainly, begin to emerge. Their thinking being 'well at least if WE do it, we will do a quality job'

The Stones are too popular, too iconic and too successful for people to NOT want to keep them 'alive' (I use the world very loosely) somehow. Even if a Virtual Stones would be anathema to purists like myself and to other good people who post on this site.

It's the world we live in!

Date: August 11, 2022 14:47

PatrickS77
NilsHolgersson

And needless to say I would ever be tempted to visit any such facility myself...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-11 14:50 by GerardHennessy.

Date: August 11, 2022 15:05

There're a lot of Stones-Tribute-Bands. They have demand even when the original Stones are on Tour. So if (some) people wanna see Tribute-Bands, then a virtual show could work as well - especially when the original Stones aren't anymore because human life is finite.

Posted by: jana ()
Date: August 11, 2022 15:24

Paddy
tomcat2006
There seem to be a lot of (younger) people who wear Stones gear without seemingly even being aware who the band are - hard though it is to believe. (And sacrilege too ;-)

Do you think there'll ever come a time when they (or their descendants) make more cash from monetising the famous lapping tongue on clothes and other merchandise than from music and streaming sales?

Somewhere in the early 2000s people started wearing band shirts without any interest in the band. Ramones & Stones shirts seemed amongst the 2 most popular ones. I agree it’s sacrilege!

A sacrilege… and an easy promo too, I guess. cool smiley

*It’s good to be here. It’s good to be anywhere!*

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: August 11, 2022 16:19

Paddy
tomcat2006
There seem to be a lot of (younger) people who wear Stones gear without seemingly even being aware who the band are - hard though it is to believe. (And sacrilege too ;-)

Do you think there'll ever come a time when they (or their descendants) make more cash from monetising the famous lapping tongue on clothes and other merchandise than from music and streaming sales?

Somewhere in the early 2000s people started wearing band shirts without any interest in the band. Ramones & Stones shirts seemed amongst the 2 most popular ones. I agree it’s sacrilege!

+ AC/DC

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: August 11, 2022 17:35

powerage78
Paddy
tomcat2006

+ AC/DC

Very very true. Painful as it is for those of us who worship The Stones and who will forever hold the flame in our hearts, the hard reality is that to many they have been reduced to a cool logo, a strapline ('the greatest rock'n'roll band in the world') and 5-6 songs in heavy rotation on Classic Rock Radio or in commercials.

I flip-flop between being pleased that SOMETHING of the band remains alive, while being horrified by how sixty years of music has been boiled down to a kind of paper-maché model of what they once were. But, ultimately, the creators of the Rolling Stones band, brand and back-catalogue have every right to cash in on what they have given us all!

Date: August 11, 2022 18:16

GerardHennessy
PatrickS77
NilsHolgersson

I would love you to be right about everything you say. But, unfortunately, I'm not convinced. Why? There are a couple of reasons I believe. Firstly, how long more will they be around? The most optimistic estimate would surely be no more than about five years. Even that is highly unlikely. So someone, somewhere in the Stones business operation will think 'Okay, we may not have the real thing any longer, but, hey, a virtual concert is a good financial fallback option...' And, painful though it is for those who love the music, the hard fact is that The Rolling Stones have become a huge financial/business operation where commercial organisations that most of us never heard of have a financial stake in the band and a voice in the various decision-making processes.

Secondly, even if the band themselves, or their business associates, are not enthusiastic, they may well feel it necessary to do so simply to block off any pale pirate imitations that will, almost certainly, begin to emerge. Their thinking being 'well at least if WE do it, we will do a quality job'

The Stones are too popular, too iconic and too successful for people to NOT want to keep them 'alive' (I use the world very loosely) somehow. Even if a Virtual Stones would be anathema to purists like myself and to other good people who post on this site.

It's the world we live in!

I'm (sadly) have to agree with you here. Yes, "the times they are a changing" ... always.
I happen to be a pretty extrovert person and usually tend to approach/speak to people wearing Stones stuff (mostly T-shirts) and, if I happen not to wear Stones-outfit I show them the logo on my mobiel phone. And yes, I run into, mostly young, people who don't know the origin of the logo, even in countries where you don't expect people to know about the Rolling Stones. And then I tell them (with as much passion as I can) about that world famous rock 'n' roll band that has travelled the world for 60 years already. Usually I manage to create curiosity and interest, so that way I hopefully add to the legacy of the Stones and the true meaning of the logo.

smileys with beer

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 12, 2022 01:26

Hairball

Mini people have mini ideas.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-12 01:27 by Doxa.

Date: August 12, 2022 01:39

Little old "Mini Doxa" is on another drunken rampage having crawled out from under his rock....

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 12, 2022 01:46

Hairball
Little old "Mini Doxa" is on another drunken rampage having crawled out from under his rock....

Mini people have mini ideas.

- Doxa

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1910
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home