Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Bill Wyman Why I left The Rolling Stones
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 25, 2022 21:19

MisterDDDD
Gone from the band now more than half its existence.

Wanted to leave while they were "on top"..
Fair to say he miscalculated.. but I could see either side of that debate.

In Bill's position or point of view they were on top - the biggest ever in his career. What happened after is moot because he wanted nothing to do with it, as he said in whatever book it is, the one about all the releases, the tours just got bigger and bigger.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 25, 2022 21:30

More Hot Rocks
Taylor1
MisterDDDD
Taylor1
MisterDDDD

Not really half their existence if you define it by creativity.While he was in the band like 23 studio albums, since he left 3 including one which is one of their worst

Yes, it really is (over) half their existence..

If you define it by the definition winking smiley
Well, half of their existence mostly doing an oldies live show without Bill

Like Voodoo Lounge, Bridges Yo Babylon? Those weren’t oldies shows by far. They promoted the new albums Your wrong. Even the bigger bang tour had new tunes and deep cuts.

Agreed. The "Vegas" Stones moniker may be appropriate, defining these huge shows with a massive number of additional players/singers, but they were by no means 'oldies'. That definitely changed come the 50 and Counting tour and everything that followed. I recall being happy that they were even together after the Keith book debacle.

So I think since that time you could say they've been a bit of an 'oldies' act, but A. they're old, and B. they're damn good at it.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 25, 2022 22:42

Voodoo Lounge and Bridges are two of my favorite albums, and those tours were good, with some really good deep cuts, but that was like almost a quarter of a century ago. A Bigger Bang along with Dirty Work are their two worse albums. All I meant to say was Bill may have only been there for their first half, but it included like almost 90 percent of their music, over 90 percent of their best music, and their best live tours. So Bill was there when it mattered as part of the best rhythm section in rock

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: July 25, 2022 23:10

Taylor1
Voodoo Lounge and Bridges are two of my favorite albums, and those tours were good, with some really good deep cuts, but that was like almost a quarter of a century ago. A Bigger Bang along with Dirty Work are their two worse albums. All I meant to say was Bill may have only been there for their first half, but it included like almost 90 percent of their music, over 90 percent of their best music, and their best live tours. So Bill was there when it mattered as part of the best rhythm section in rock

You really are wishy washy all the time. One post you say this and the next breath you say that.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: July 26, 2022 01:15

MisterDDDD

If Bill wanted to leave, while they were still on top, meaning from a creativity point of view, I would say that he left two albums too late.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: July 26, 2022 01:53

treaclefingers
DGA35
treaclefingers
floodonthepage
snoopy2
Enjoyed this, decent questions and straightforward answers.. He def did go out on top, everything the remaining members play was written with Bill. His was the Stones that grabbed me, moved me, changed me.. I enjoy still getting to hear them play, but often trying to catch a glimpse of what was.. Of course the playful energy of Keith now is def heartwarming

I agree with this. If I'm being honest with myself, the more that time has passed... of the 22 shows I've seen only 1 was with Wyman and that is the one I've been chasing ever since. And now I can't even chase anymore without Charlie...but there's so much to listen to and so much I've been given by these guys that I want for nothing.

Ha, I only saw two shows with Bill, both in 89. But he's still in 'the band' that I remember. They'll always be a 5 piece band for me; not a 4 piece, or 3 piece.

But we're fortunate to still be able to enjoy some form of the band, and the music 60+ years on whatever the lineup.

Hey Treacle, I'm assuming the 2 BC Place shows?

You are correct sir!

How did The Stones sound in BC Place?
I’ve seen 6-8 gigs in BC place and the sound depending on where you are can be poor.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 26, 2022 02:50

Cooltoplady
Taylor1

You really are wishy washy all the time. One post you say this and the next breath you say that.
Thats funny,or maybe not

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-26 02:54 by Taylor1.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 26, 2022 03:01

Paddy
treaclefingers
DGA35
treaclefingers
floodonthepage
snoopy2
Enjoyed this, decent questions and straightforward answers.. He def did go out on top, everything the remaining members play was written with Bill. His was the Stones that grabbed me, moved me, changed me.. I enjoy still getting to hear them play, but often trying to catch a glimpse of what was.. Of course the playful energy of Keith now is def heartwarming

I agree with this. If I'm being honest with myself, the more that time has passed... of the 22 shows I've seen only 1 was with Wyman and that is the one I've been chasing ever since. And now I can't even chase anymore without Charlie...but there's so much to listen to and so much I've been given by these guys that I want for nothing.

Ha, I only saw two shows with Bill, both in 89. But he's still in 'the band' that I remember. They'll always be a 5 piece band for me; not a 4 piece, or 3 piece.

But we're fortunate to still be able to enjoy some form of the band, and the music 60+ years on whatever the lineup.

You are correct sir!

I’ve seen 6-8 gigs in BC place and the sound depending on where you are can be poor.

Yes, definitely depends on where you're sitting. The 6 Stones shows I've seen were all good, but then I had good seats. AC/DC in 2015 was terrible, I was in the upper bowl and lots of echo, couldn't tell what Brian was saying between songs. Conversely, Paul McCartney 2019 I was in the upper bowl and sound was decent.

Date: July 26, 2022 03:26

DGA35
Paddy
treaclefingers
DGA35
treaclefingers
floodonthepage
snoopy2

You are correct sir!

Yes, definitely depends on where you're sitting. The 6 Stones shows I've seen were all good, but then I had good seats. AC/DC in 2015 was terrible, I was in the upper bowl and lots of echo, couldn't tell what Brian was saying between songs. Conversely, Paul McCartney 2019 I was in the upper bowl and sound was decent.

I had a floor ticket for that AC/DC gig in 2015 and the sound was poor,I was in the rafters in 2009 for them and they sounded better! McCartneys gig there in 2012 sounded great, I didn’t go last time around, he played Rogers in between those gigs and I was at that. The BC place sound is a cruel mistress it seems.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: July 26, 2022 03:34

MisterDDDD

With the exception of the 97 tour, everything after 1990 was downhill. He was there for the best years, best albums, best tours and best of times.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 26, 2022 03:43

The Sicilian
MisterDDDD

With the exception of the 97 tour, everything after 1990 was downhill. He was there for the best years, best albums, best tours and best of times.

I would agree, except switch out '99 for '97.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 26, 2022 05:18

The Sicilian
MisterDDDD

You are so clueless. Too bad.

Posted by: bertrichards ()
Date: July 26, 2022 07:57

The Rolling Stones never ever did a downhill tour.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 26, 2022 09:02

The Sicilian
MisterDDDD

Everything but the $$.

I agree with Charlie.. and also trust his take on it.
"Shame he left just before the money got really good" (paraphrasing)

Bill seems fine with it, not much choice, but if even Charlie calls it a shame, then that's not exactly going out on top. At least that's my read.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: July 26, 2022 10:14

bertrichards
The Rolling Stones never ever did a downhill tour.

Phew! That's a relief. For one minute there I thought I'd missed the t-shirt for my collection.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: July 26, 2022 14:39

We all know the creativity by Jagger/Richards and how Keith was the musical propulsion/drive on stage.

BUT charlie and bill were the track on which stones sound worked.

I know many of you will differ but I think that no charlie no bill means no stones sound. That does not mean they presently do not sound good...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-26 14:42 by emotionalbarbecue.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 27, 2022 00:06

Paddy
DGA35
Paddy
treaclefingers
DGA35
treaclefingers
floodonthepage
snoopy2

You are correct sir!

I had a floor ticket for that AC/DC gig in 2015 and the sound was poor,I was in the rafters in 2009 for them and they sounded better! McCartneys gig there in 2012 sounded great, I didn’t go last time around, he played Rogers in between those gigs and I was at that. The BC place sound is a cruel mistress it seems.

I saw AC/DC I think it was both those gigs too. 09 I was on the floor, 13th row right beside the catwalk with Angus swinging his thinning mane getting sweat all over everyone. I think that was '09. What was the one before that? Great seats in the lower bowl for the next one, I believe 2015.

For me sound has always been pretty good...saw Prince I think at his last show at BC Place, upper bowl right at the back. I really cheaped out. FABULOUS concert, my mistake to not pay up.

Posted by: PalaisRoyale ()
Date: July 27, 2022 00:29

Bill left two tours too early. Should have bowed out after Babylon.

Date: July 27, 2022 01:05

treaclefingers
Paddy
DGA35
Paddy
treaclefingers
DGA35
treaclefingers
floodonthepage
snoopy2

You are correct sir!

I saw AC/DC I think it was both those gigs too. 09 I was on the floor, 13th row right beside the catwalk with Angus swinging his thinning mane getting sweat all over everyone. I think that was '09. What was the one before that? Great seats in the lower bowl for the next one, I believe 2015.

For me sound has always been pretty good...saw Prince I think at his last show at BC Place, upper bowl right at the back. I really cheaped out. FABULOUS concert, my mistake to not pay up.

Not sure when Acca Dacca’s previous Vancouver concert was, I saw them in Milton Keynes in 2003, I think, and that was the last time I’d seen them before the 2009 tour, I caught them 3 times on that tour BC place being the last of the 3 so I bought a rafters ticket out of shame...

I think at this point I’ve seen Ac/Dc almost as much as the stones!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 27, 2022 02:04

emotionalbarbecue

I know many of you will differ but I think that no charlie no bill means no stones sound. That does not mean they presently do not sound good...

I think many would agree actually with this.

Sure they presently sound good, but is good good enough? Maybe to some it is, but for many they're just OK and were much better with Bill and Charlie.
It's like replacing two original hubcaps on a Rolls Royce with generic secondhand hubcaps- sure the replacements are good, but they're certainly not quite as good as the originals.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 27, 2022 04:10

GasLightStreet
MisterDDDD

In Bill's position or point of view they were on top - the biggest ever in his career. What happened after is moot because he wanted nothing to do with it, as he said in whatever book it is, the one about all the releases, the tours just got bigger and bigger.

he also said at the time that by 1990 he had developed a fear of flying (he travelled by land to most of the shows in Europe that summer). To be fair, he's pretty much stuck to that ever since. I think he might have flown to North America once for a tour with the Rhythm Kings in 2001 (all the shows were in the western half of US & Canada presumably to arranged in a way where the band could travel by bus.

there's no way he could have stayed with the Stones if he wasn't prepared to spend more than 90 minutes on a plane on a regular basis.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 27, 2022 04:23

Paddy
treaclefingers
Paddy
DGA35
Paddy
treaclefingers
DGA35
treaclefingers
floodonthepage
snoopy2

You are correct sir!

Not sure when Acca Dacca’s previous Vancouver concert was

BALLBREAKER tour, February 8 and 9, 1996.

Date: July 27, 2022 04:32

Thanks GLS! I saw them in Dublin on that tour indoors, same place the Stones played in 03.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 27, 2022 06:21

Hey Gaslight, AC/DC did 2 shows at the Pacific Coliseum in 2003ish on the Stiff Upper Lip tour. I actually didn't go to these but saw the 2 Ballbreaker shows and 3 Razors Edge shows as well as 83 and 88.

Didn't want to hijack the Wyman thread with all the AC/DC talk! Hoping they announce a tour soon!

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: July 27, 2022 10:37

MisterDDDD
The Sicilian
MisterDDDD

Everything but the $$.

I agree with Charlie.. and also trust his take on it.
"Shame he left just before the money got really good" (paraphrasing)

Bill seems fine with it, not much choice, but if even Charlie calls it a shame, then that's not exactly going out on top. At least that's my read.

Well, not quite. I can't remember where I heard or read it, but supposedly Bill was asked by the band before VL and BTB tours to rejoin. So he obviously had the choice, but declined and consciously said "no" to all the money.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-27 10:39 by retired_dog.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2337
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home