Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112
Current Page: 12 of 12
Re: Paris France 23-July-2022 The Rolling Stones SIXTY Tour live show updates
Posted by: icke66 ()
Date: July 26, 2022 17:41

smileys with beer

Date: July 26, 2022 17:47

GerardHennessy
PaintMonkeyManBlack
You can say anything you like, but saying they don't play with passion is not an opinion. It's just wrong.

I beg to differ fellow-fan. There can never be one single, defined, universally agreed definition of what is right or wrong in music. There can certainly be as many different OPINIONS on that point as there are people in attendance at any concert. And beyond it too.

I get no pleasure, or sense of superiority from saying I thought the performance in Paris was average. I did not go to the expense of travelling quite some way, and pay what I did for tickets, to end up feeling rather disappointed. It is the fifth concert I went to on this tour. Not what you would expect from someone who simply wants to find fault, especially given the costs and effort involved.

If you feel differently, good luck to you. As a Stones fan I am genuinely thrilled you did not have the reaction I had. I waited for three days to post my views to ensure I was being as balanced and fair as I could be in what I wrote. But what I said, and what others have said in response, constitutes the honest, genuinely held, views of different people. All of whom heard what THEY heard. Enjoyed - or not - what THEY saw. And hold the views THEY now hold. And rightly so.

It's okay to find the performance average. That happens sometimes and is really due to personal experience. I don't agree as I thought Paris was the best of 19 I saw. But I also had gigs which I found underwelming when others thought it was the best ever. No problem at all and I respect your opinion. Sorry to hear it though as I hope everybody will be Happy.

However saying they don't play with passion (you didn't say this, I know) is just not right. You can like how they played, or not, but saying they didn't play with passion is... well... not sure what word I am searching.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: July 26, 2022 17:49

Topi
Just a question, GerardHennessy, which other shows did you see on this tour and how do you compare them / can you compare them, performance-wise?

A perfectly fair and valid question. The five comprised all three UK shows, plus Amsterdam and now Paris in Europe. My health does not really equip me to travel too far beyond the UK - hence Paris and Amsterdam.

Performance-wise I thought Hyde Park 2 was the best, followed by Anfield. I sensed greater energy in the band on each of those. But in truth there was not much in it. Overall i'm afraid the word that best summarised everything for me is underwhelming. Not awful, or poor, or bad or worthless. Just underwhelming and rather uninspiring.

Others will feel differently AND I TOTALLY RESPECT THAT FACT. In truth i'm pleased they do. I love The Stones too much to want them to subside into retirement. Or death. I want them go go out on a high.

The problem for me right now is I don't think they will go out on a high. I hope I'm wrong...

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: July 26, 2022 21:14

This talk of not playing with the same passion as 20 years ago etc, i'ts just ridiculas, Mick and Keith are 80 years old next year, please tell me how much more passion you want or expect from them at this age, watch keith play his solo set this tour and tell me doesnt have enough passion.

Come on keep it real, they are giving it everything thay got and more besides, i know it's just your opionion but it's being troll like in reality.

Paris was an excellent gig period.

This enough passion for you
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-26 21:30 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 26, 2022 21:53

GerardHennessy
Topi
Just a question, GerardHennessy, which other shows did you see on this tour and how do you compare them / can you compare them, performance-wise?

A perfectly fair and valid question. The five comprised all three UK shows, plus Amsterdam and now Paris in Europe. My health does not really equip me to travel too far beyond the UK - hence Paris and Amsterdam.

Performance-wise I thought Hyde Park 2 was the best, followed by Anfield. I sensed greater energy in the band on each of those. But in truth there was not much in it. Overall i'm afraid the word that best summarised everything for me is underwhelming. Not awful, or poor, or bad or worthless. Just underwhelming and rather uninspiring.

Others will feel differently AND I TOTALLY RESPECT THAT FACT. In truth i'm pleased they do. I love The Stones too much to want them to subside into retirement. Or death. I want them go go out on a high.

The problem for me right now is I don't think they will go out on a high. I hope I'm wrong...

Keith might still be able to go out on a high, and Mick still might go out on a high - (both in the context of being nearly 80 years old which is quite impressive),
but as a band I think they already went out on a high in Miami, 2019 which was Charlies last show. Every show since his passing may have been fine and dandy, and there have been some nice moments indeed,
but it's not at the same high level as when the original engine was still running the ship. I saw two shows last year, and while Keith and Mick (and Ronnie) were still a sight and sound to behold, there was a massive void.
Steve is a great drummer and has proven to be an adequate substitute for Charlie, but clearly things can never be the same. I'd imagine of you ask Keith or Mick, they'd say their last truly greatest show was in Miami, 2019.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-26 21:56 by Hairball.

Date: July 27, 2022 02:47

keefriffhards
This talk of not playing with the same passion as 20 years ago etc, i'ts just ridiculas, Mick and Keith are 80 years old next year, please tell me how much more passion you want or expect from them at this age, watch keith play his solo set this tour and tell me doesnt have enough passion.

Come on keep it real, they are giving it everything thay got and more besides, i know it's just your opionion but it's being troll like in reality.

[www.youtube.com]

Mick and Keith are extraordinary individuals.To play two-hour concerts at roughly four day intervals in stadia all across Europe - and the US last year - is truly phenomenal. Especially so given their ages. And I never said they lacked passion. What I said was that the performances were uninspiring. Not bad, or poor, just uninspiring.

But as a paying customer I am entitled to my opinion. Right or wrong, I have a perfect right to hold it. And to express it with respect to those who hold a different view. Good people like yourself. Nevertheless I am disinclined to make allowances for a lessening of energy because of age. If the band go out on the road then they must expect to be judged by the standards that apply to ALL performers. That goes with the territory.

In the past year I have seen both John Mayall (89 and counting) and Hawkwind led by Dave Brock (80 and counting). Both performed to the same level as always. Both, incidentally, also featured vastly changed setlists from when I last saw them over three years ago. Had they performed uninspiringly, or with diminished intensity I should have said so without hesitation. If my money is good enough to accept in return for an admission ticket, then my opinion must be equally acceptable.

But the key point here is that YOU enjoyed the performances you have seen. I suspect many, many other people have too. Good luck to you all. At the end of the day, that is what it is all about. Pleasing the customers. Or most of them at any rate.

Keep on rocking my friend!

Date: July 27, 2022 10:12

GerardHennessy
keefriffhards

[www.youtube.com]

Mick and Keith are extraordinary individuals.To play two-hour concerts at roughly four day intervals in stadia all across Europe - and the US last year - is truly phenomenal. Especially so given their ages. And I never said they lacked passion. What I said was that the performances were uninspiring. Not bad, or poor, just uninspiring.

But as a paying customer I am entitled to my opinion. Right or wrong, I have a perfect right to hold it. And to express it with respect to those who hold a different view. Good people like yourself. Nevertheless I am disinclined to make allowances for a lessening of energy because of age. If the band go out on the road then they must expect to be judged by the standards that apply to ALL performers. That goes with the territory.

In the past year I have seen both John Mayall (89 and counting) and Hawkwind led by Dave Brock (80 and counting). Both performed to the same level as always. Both, incidentally, also featured vastly changed setlists from when I last saw them over three years ago. Had they performed uninspiringly, or with diminished intensity I should have said so without hesitation. If my money is good enough to accept in return for an admission ticket, then my opinion must be equally acceptable.

But the key point here is that YOU enjoyed the performances you have seen. I suspect many, many other people have too. Good luck to you all. At the end of the day, that is what it is all about. Pleasing the customers. Or most of them at any rate.

I know it wasn't you that said they are playing with no passion, i wasnt referring to you using troll like behaviour my friend, you give a thoughtfull honest account of how you see things and i appreciate that and understand what you are saying and obviously there is some truth in all that although i don't necessarily agree with it.

Definitely agree that the Stones are expected to deliver at their ages when they charge so much to see them, and i think they do, they stand up to comparrison going back 10 years now, especially keith.

Of course at almost 80 the next tour should drop a couple tracks from the set list like Miss You or Gemmi Shelter ( if it's with Sasha ) and that will enable them to have the energy needed to sustain the intensity of the dilivery for this music. But in saying that they would be required to charge 30% less to see them and that would be fair, i think a 17 song show would be acceptable if it was presented with energy and passion.
Personaly although Mick and Keith could continue, i get the feeling this is the last time, i think it's why Keith is determined to bow out in such a commited way, he really is giving everything he has to give, another reason this is probably the last time is due to Ronnie, although playing better in the last two shows he has clearly been struggling, he just isnt playing very well and i could be wrong but i can't see him being able to do it phyically next year. Hope i'm wrong though.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 27, 2022 11:34

They kept going without Charlie, I doubt they would stop if Ronnie couldn't make it. Think Waddy !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: July 27, 2022 11:43

gotdablouse
They kept going without Charlie, I doubt they would stop if Ronnie couldn't make it. Think Waddy !

That’ll never happen. That’ll be the X-Pensive Winos feat. Mick Jagger. Mick will never allow that to happen.

Completely wrong to even debate it.
Ronnie is still there and was good previous shows. Looked somewhat bleak and absent in Amsterdam, but give him a break… He’s 75 and battled cancer and other demons.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-27 12:30 by BowieStone.

Posted by: no satisfaction ()
Date: July 27, 2022 11:48

Sympathy : video: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-27 12:28 by no satisfaction.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 27, 2022 12:23

They will do it without Ronnie if like Charlie he tells them to continue. Mick and Keith love to play and want to stay active and in the spotlight.Leaving the place is unbearable for them.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: no satisfaction ()
Date: July 27, 2022 12:28

Tumbling Dice : video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: July 27, 2022 12:33

BowieStone

Completely wrong to even debate it.
Exactly. Just because he slows down a bit (which is totally fine for someone at his age) that is no reason to speculate about his health or even discuss possible successors. That's just dead wrong.

Date: July 27, 2022 13:06

keefriffhards
GerardHennessy
keefriffhards

[www.youtube.com]

I know it wasn't you that said they are playing with no passion, i wasnt referring to you using troll like behaviour my friend, you give a thoughtfull honest account of how you see things and i appreciate that and understand what you are saying and obviously there is some truth in all that although i don't necessarily agree with it.

Definitely agree that the Stones are expected to deliver at their ages when they charge so much to see them, and i think they do, they stand up to comparrison going back 10 years now, especially keith.

Of course at almost 80 the next tour should drop a couple tracks from the set list like Miss You or Gemmi Shelter ( if it's with Sasha ) and that will enable them to have the energy needed to sustain the intensity of the dilivery for this music. But in saying that they would be required to charge 30% less to see them and that would be fair, i think a 17 song show would be acceptable if it was presented with energy and passion.
Personaly although Mick and Keith could continue, i get the feeling this is the last time, i think it's why Keith is determined to bow out in such a commited way, he really is giving everything he has to give, another reason this is probably the last time is due to Ronnie, although playing better in the last two shows he has clearly been struggling, he just isnt playing very well and i could be wrong but i can't see him being able to do it phyically next year. Hope i'm wrong though.

Thank you for your very gracious and insightful reply. To be honest I think that, as fellow Stones fans, our views overlap far more than they differ. The fact that there is still debate, discussion, and constructive disagreement occasionally about The Stones is all great. As the legendary actress Mae West said sometime in the 1940's. 'There is only one thing worse than being talked about, and that is NOT being talked about'. Thank God people are still writing about, agreeing about, disagreeing about, and happily arguing about, The Stones.

It has been like that for 58 of my 71 years on this earth. I hope it goes on for another few years yet. In whatever way works best for the band themselves, and also their legend.

Rock On my friend. May the sunshine never bore the daylights out of you (to misquote Rocks Off, my favourite ever Stones track)

Posted by: Roc ()
Date: July 27, 2022 13:10

no satisfaction
Sympathy : video: [www.youtube.com]

incredible bass sound
never heard of such a thing in a long time

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: July 27, 2022 13:32

The bass sound was very good in Paris overall.

Date: July 27, 2022 15:39

GerardHennessy
keefriffhards
GerardHennessy
keefriffhards

[www.youtube.com]

Thank you for your very gracious and insightful reply. To be honest I think that, as fellow Stones fans, our views overlap far more than they differ. The fact that there is still debate, discussion, and constructive disagreement occasionally about The Stones is all great. As the legendary actress Mae West said sometime in the 1940's. 'There is only one thing worse than being talked about, and that is NOT being talked about'. Thank God people are still writing about, agreeing about, disagreeing about, and happily arguing about, The Stones.

It has been like that for 58 of my 71 years on this earth. I hope it goes on for another few years yet. In whatever way works best for the band themselves, and also their legend.

Rock On my friend. May the sunshine never bore the daylights out of you (to misquote Rocks Off, my favourite ever Stones track)

Haha me too, always thought Rocks Off and Sway should have been Warhorses, Rocks Off is the perfoct classic timeless rock track, i just think Mick is uncomfortable with the tempos, similar with Sway and that might be the reason we don't see these well revieved songs very often live, you rock on too mate, take care.

You remind me very much of my old friend Mike Kiley that used to post here, you have a certain gift in how you express your thoughts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-27 15:50 by keefriffhards.

Date: July 28, 2022 02:19

mattleeuk
I don't always watch my videos back but I just watched Jumping Jack Flash from Paris and I was rather pleased with it! 99% focusing on the main action, smooth transitions, some nice tight shots so you feel like you are right there etc...

Jumping Jack Flash - Paris

I upload full songs every show so if you haven't subscribed (for free) please do so and you can get notifications when I put up new songs. Everyones positive response makes the videos really enjoyable to do. Thank you

Thanks Matt for making this a fantastic tour for people that can't make the shows, you really are a trouper and you get so close to them picking up interactions and moments no one else captures. Enjoy the last two shows mate smileys with beer

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: July 29, 2022 01:49

could someone with access please download and post stacy's video from facebook

or at least a link that i can download it from

Stacy

trying to make a complete show multi cam but could really use this to fill in a ton of gaps

Date: July 30, 2022 05:04

anyone?

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: July 30, 2022 09:46

Topi

The sound quality of the whole concert in Paris was outstanding.

Open field, no wind, mild temperature, everything was perfect, a concert for the ages.

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: July 30, 2022 14:08

keefriffhards
mattleeuk
I don't always watch my videos back but I just watched Jumping Jack Flash from Paris and I was rather pleased with it! 99% focusing on the main action, smooth transitions, some nice tight shots so you feel like you are right there etc...

Jumping Jack Flash - Paris

I upload full songs every show so if you haven't subscribed (for free) please do so and you can get notifications when I put up new songs. Everyones positive response makes the videos really enjoyable to do. Thank you

Thanks Matt for making this a fantastic tour for people that can't make the shows, you really are a trouper and you get so close to them picking up interactions and moments no one else captures. Enjoy the last two shows mate smileys with beer

Thank you… it’s satisfying when you mail a great video with minimal mistakes. Collectively Gelsenkirchen are my best ones yet (except Hollywood), the front right of Ronnie’s pit was much further back giving me a much more central view and meaning I still had Mick from the front most of the time and lots more of Steve in shot too. Some venues you can’t even see Steve from the front! Berlin will be the mega ones… much lower stage.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: July 30, 2022 14:21

marquess
Topi

The sound quality of the whole concert in Paris was outstanding.

Open field, no wind, mild temperature, everything was perfect, a concert for the ages.

Agreed, I was aurprised how good it sounded out there.

Date: July 30, 2022 21:50

ProfessorWolf
anyone?

Hey ProfessorWolf, thx for your work on the multicam!! Just downloaded the videos, she recorded 4 parts

Enjoy! smileys with beer

[we.tl]

Date: July 31, 2022 00:35

DiegoGlimmerStones
ProfessorWolf
anyone?

Hey ProfessorWolf, thx for your work on the multicam!! Just downloaded the videos, she recorded 4 parts

Enjoy! smileys with beer

[we.tl]

thank you

i'll get to work on this right after i finish my matrix for amsterdam

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-31 00:36 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: July 31, 2022 04:50

GerardHennessy has posted numerous comments here, and quite a few of them since the announcement of Steve Jordan replacing Charlie Watts as the dummer for the US tour last year are overly negative about the current state of The Rolling Stones as a group and their decision of “keep going”, even before the passing of Charlie. And just six months ago he made a strong statement that he would not attend any upcoming shows of the Stones 60th anniversary. Yet once the SIXTY Tour started, Gerard went out of his way to see five — FIVE — shows, i.e. Liverpool, Hyde Park 1 & 2, Amsterdam and Paris. In this regard alone, I find it hard to resist the morbid temptation to call him a liar. If you feel the Stones nowadays not worth seeing, keep your word and stay home. No excuse accepted.

On many of his comments, he over and over again emphasizes “balanced”, “objective”, “fair”, “honest”, “genuine”, “respect”, “different view” etc. However, the more accumulated these sweet-sounding words are, the hollower they become eventually. As a result, the tone of his narratives ends up giving an impression, “passive-aggressive”. After all, where is honesty when the man who firmly refuses to see the Stones live goes all the way to catch as many as five shows? To quote the Pixies’ song title, he is a “debaser”.

[N.B. Below is a quote of GerardHennessy’s dismissing the Stones 2020’s coupled with condescension to the fans “that will flock to their next tour” (which is exactly what he did).]

GerardHennessy
Re: Tour 2022 rumors - The Rolling Stones
Date: January 27, 2022 15:28

Always a strong possibility given the 60th anniversary milestone.

For me, sadly, I shall not be attending any of these events. My personal experience is that The Stones have ceased to be relevant in any way other than as a nostalgia-fest. Having seen them several time over the last ten years I now realise I just attended pretty-much the same event over and over. A warhorse rich set-list, an almost unchanging run through the same 18-20 numbers, and a sense that everything was geared to recreating what happened when they performed forty years ago.

I stress that what I am expressing here is very much a personal view. I am not criticising anyone, least of all the band, for sustaining the current approach to performances. It is a free world, and there is certainly an appetite for what The Stones do. Good luck to them, and to the fans that that will flock to their next tour, stock up on merchandise, and sing along to Start Me Up, Honky Tonk Women, Jumpin' Jack Flash and Satisfaction.

So why do I feel as I do? I guess it is because I grew up worshipping a band that really were at the cutting edge of rock music. Glamorous, dangerous, edgy, unafraid to challenge the dinosaurs of the music business. Parents hated them. The establishment were terrified of them. Politicians, churches, old-fashioned pop singers lined up to criticise and condemn them. Now these very same socio-economic, religious and political groupings form the vanguard of their fan base. Oh dear!

Fifty three years ago I spent almost my entire wage packet on Let It Bleed. I brought it home, and devoured it for weeks on end. It was dark. It was disturbing. It was debauched. It was dangerous. And, gratifyingly, it horrified my parents. But it made me feel like The Stones were doing things with music that related to the challenges I faced, the hopes I held, and the ambitions I harboured. It felt RELEVANT. Little did I know then that there would come a time when it would all become processed, packaged, photo-shopped and pumped out like an old-tyme music hall singalong.

Sing-a-Longa Stones! Heaven help us all!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112
Current Page: 12 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2057
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home