Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Johnny Rotten on ageing rock stars
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 25, 2022 08:22

Keef's shovelin' on Luxury El Mocambo
could get the lame ta rise up and walk ... ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 25, 2022 09:34

lem motlow
Let’s get real,The day Elvis died Mick Jagger became the King of Rock and Roll.
That’s how it is.

Oh really.

Says who? Oh right - you say that.

Whatever.

I get your fandom et al but The Rolling Stones themselves don't give a shit what you think.

Date: July 25, 2022 10:15

who said Lem can think ????? ..... HHHHHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: July 25, 2022 10:38

GasLightStreet
lem motlow
That’s how it is.

Oh really.

Whatever.

I get your fandom et al but The Rolling Stones themselves don't give a shit what you think.
I think that too. Who else who can keep up with Mick Jagger, performing so well for 60 years? It's like there's almost no other choice if you want to chose a new king of rock n roll.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 25, 2022 17:13

JUKEBOX JURY, 1979...Johnny Rotten & Joan Collins.

Freakin' classic:

[www.youtube.com]

Johnny is hilarious, post-pistols integrating (not well) with 'normal' people.

Posted by: Tumlin73 ()
Date: July 25, 2022 18:42

django
Tumlin73
Didn’t I read somewhere that Jagger/Stones offered to help Sid vicious when he was on drugs or it could have been something to do with a court case?

[www.nme.com]

Thanks. thumbs up

Date: July 25, 2022 19:41

StonedRambler
treaclefingers
StonedRambler
Rocky Dijon
This place cracks me up. No, Mick isn't a proper singer. He approaches singing mostly like a blues man. He talks his way through most songs. Am I knocking him? Of course not. That's what he wants to be just like Keith doesn't try to be Clapton. Mick's the greatest front man of all time and an amazing songwriter and very underrated musician. Likewise, Keith is nowhere near being in the same class with truly masterful guitarists. He's still my favorite for his feel and for the riff he brings out so effortlessly. The Stones are the greatest band not because they're a bunch of virtuosos, but because somehow, despite all of their shortcomings, they produced deceptively simple music that hooked you on first listen and were then absolutely compelling performers to witness in concert.

Why act as if you're in danger of losing your #1 fan badge if you don't defend poor Mick from Johnny Rotten saying something silly about him? John's opinion, even if true, doesn't diminish Mick's accomplishments or somehow make his records or concerts less enjoyable. Good God, if Tiger Beat was still publishing Beatles vs. Stones articles, there'd be fist fights on the playground from some of you. "Don't pick on my Mick! Only Keith can do that!"

I love some of the things you wrote but that "isn't a proper singer" triggers me still. Sorry! "He approaches singing mostly like a blues man" - and exactly that makes him a proper rock n roll singer. If he would approach singing like an opera singer or a musical singer then he would not be a proper rock n roll singer! The way Mick sings he definitely is.

I really couldn't imagine a better rock n roll singer than Mick Jagger. His voice is not beautiful (in a convention way), it sounds nasty and gritty. And that the most proper rock n roll voice I can imagine.

So yes, he IS a proper singer (for rock n roll - for other styles of music surely not)

Even Mick wouldn't take umbrage to that comment. He's no Freddie Mercury or David Bowie, or Robert Plant or even Paul McCartney. But the character of the voice is what makes the music, along with the music performances which are of course not always virtuoso either. But character of all of these players has kept us captivated and why it is almost impossible to replicate.
If David Bowie is a better singer that Mick Jagger - I think that is REALLY up for debate. I don't think so, although I really like David's style. Freddie Mercury - sure he is technically, but that is no real rock n roll voice. Could you imagine something like Satisfaction or Paint it Black sung by Freddy Mercury? That vibrato would surely be totally over the top for the style the Stones have. No, Mick is a proper rock n roll singer. He's THE rock'n'roll singer. Range is not necessarily what makes a rock'n'rll singer, it's feel (on the other hand, from all of those old singers Mick is one of the few who kept his range) and a distinct character that is hard to define. Mick's voice can cut through a wall of guitars like no other. But it seems we actually have more or less the same opinion, so let's not argue over a few word.
Anyway, Mick is a proper rock n roll singer grinning smiley

LOL...you just spent a paragraph arguing with me, and then said we agree and 'so let's not argue over it'!

(Though I agree, that basically we agree. I'm talking about vocals from a more technical perspective. Most people aren't going to say 'that Mick Jagger, beautiful voice, what a singer!'. But he's the best singer for the Stones, and the probably the most charismatic voice in R'n'R.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 26, 2022 01:29

Rockman

While occasionally prickly, Lemuel Motlow is the heir to Jack Daniel's and is believed to have gotten away with murder. The man can think. Mind you, for years I thought his real name was Melvin Woltom.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 26, 2022 08:11

Rockman

Just give up you pathetic cretin, the constant inane comments add nothing to a conversation.
I could go on but any life that includes over 47,000 comments on a rock bands message board has got to be punishment enough.

Make that two murders Rocky.

Date: July 26, 2022 08:28

47000 is that all .... imagine what itd be if i could type

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: July 26, 2022 09:48

Rockman
47000 is that all .... imagine what itd be if i could type

forget that imagine what you could do if you could speak!grinning smiley

Date: July 26, 2022 09:52

lem motlow
Rockman

Just give up you pathetic cretin, the constant inane comments add nothing to a conversation.
I could go on but any life that includes over 47,000 comments on a rock bands message board has got to be punishment enough.

Make that two murders Rocky.

well i just checked i'm proudly over 2100 in a little over a year

so maybe you could make it three murders

Date: July 26, 2022 09:53

...... yeah its been a tuff life
but good at drawing symbols in sand .....

ROCKMAN

Date: July 26, 2022 10:05

Rockman
...... yeah its been a tuff life
but good at drawing symbols in sand .....

you have hands to draw symbols with!

you lucky bastard

Date: July 26, 2022 10:26

..... i can do X with eyes closed

ROCKMAN

Date: July 26, 2022 10:36

if a illiterate mute man who's had a hard life but still has the use of both of his hand so he can draw symbols in the sand to communicate

wants to do extasy with his eyes closed

who am i to judge

Date: July 26, 2022 15:04

Am I the only one who likes Lem? Come on, he's fun and smart. What's not to like?

Mind you with only 7100 posts to my name, I'm not feeling as depressed as I was before. Thanks for that.

By the way, I believe Bjornulf lost a lot of our posts in the crash. God knows how many Terry really has.

Date: July 26, 2022 21:13

Rocky Dijon
Am I the only one who likes Lem? Come on, he's fun and smart. What's not to like?

Mind you with only 7100 posts to my name, I'm not feeling as depressed as I was before. Thanks for that.

By the way, I believe Bjornulf lost a lot of our posts in the crash. God knows how many Terry really has.

Terry Rocks Man!

Posted by: redkev ()
Date: July 26, 2022 22:05

Two arseholes brown tonging each other.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 26, 2022 22:32

StonedRambler
GasLightStreet
lem motlow
That’s how it is.

Oh really.

Whatever.

I think that too. Who else who can keep up with Mick Jagger, performing so well for 60 years? It's like there's almost no other choice if you want to chose a new king of rock n roll.

They didn't label themselves TGRNRBITW. I can't imagine Mick thinking such a thing, the king of rock'n'roll, yet alone just because Elvis died.

For a fan to think such a thing, wonderful, but there's no award or trophy for such silliness. Even Bono understands how silly it is - 'we're applying for being' etc.

Mick or Keith said whenever, maybe for that night we are.

It's not about who can keep up with Mick Jagger. Mick doesn't set any kind of level. No one else is Mick Jagger so the title is abundantly redundant.

Date: July 26, 2022 22:35

redkev

If you're going to be offensive, at least spell tonguing properly. Is nothing sacred?

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: July 26, 2022 22:37

Lol your right GaslightStreet... don't really think anyone gives a shit about what you think either.

Date: July 26, 2022 23:12

YEAH Lem is funny and smart ...
but like many great writers a lil sensitive ......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: redkev ()
Date: July 26, 2022 23:31

Rocky Dijon
redkev

If you're going to be offensive, at least spell tonguing properly. Is nothing sacred?

The truth should never be considered offensive - even by the spelling police.

Date: July 26, 2022 23:47

Maybe it was not a misspelt ?

definition of Tonging?
tonging (uncountable) The action of seizing, grabbing, holding, or manipulating a given object with tongs.

Date: July 27, 2022 00:01

umakmehrd
Maybe it was not a misspelt ?

definition of Tonging?
tonging (uncountable) The action of seizing, grabbing, holding, or manipulating a given object with tongs.

I'm gonna give those burgers a good tonging tonight on the bbq.

Date: July 27, 2022 00:13

lol

Date: July 27, 2022 00:14

u gonna use brown tongs?

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: July 27, 2022 00:58

Maybe it’s just me, but reading through this thread made me think about how I hear music. Jagger is the best stones vocalist and rotten the best pistols vocalist. I take bands as a package sound, obviously they’re broken down into their parts, but it’s the overall noise of a band that pulls me in. Comparing singers in rock bands is like looking for poets in rock music. There’s actual real professionally trained singers if I wanted to hear “a singer” and there’s lots of actual writers out there if I want to read poetry. Bands are mostly made up of amateur and self taught musicians. It’s the overall sound an vibe they put out that makes them sound unique, and you can’t really teach someone to sound unique.

Date: July 27, 2022 06:33

redkev
The truth should never be considered offensive - even by the spelling police.

The truth can be offensive, but should never be censored. Mind you, the tong vs tongue debate could have some life here given the band logo.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1723
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home