Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Johnny Rotten on ageing rock stars
Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: July 24, 2022 05:02

crholmstrom
John took his money from the Pistols & invested heavily in Southern California real estate. He did quite well. His wife is also pretty well to do also. She's got Alzheimers & he's her caregiver. There's more to him than the public facade.
Thanks. A good reminder that you never know what challenges a public figure is struggling with in their private life. Sounds like Johnny is quite dedicated to
his wife and her care.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 24, 2022 06:21

swimtothemoon
crholmstrom
John took his money from the Pistols & invested heavily in Southern California real estate. He did quite well. His wife is also pretty well to do also. She's got Alzheimers & he's her caregiver. There's more to him than the public facade.
Thanks. A good reminder that you never know what challenges a public figure is struggling with in their private life. Sounds like Johnny is quite dedicated to
his wife and her care.

And as mentioned, he was on strong medication a while back causing him to look bloated. Shame on those who stoop low to make fun of his appearance while he was ill, and they should hope it never happens to them.
Thankfully he's overcome those health issues, and is back to his feisty self while being a dedicated husband after all these years to his wife who is struggling with Alzheimers.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 24, 2022 06:48

HHhaaaaa and this is coming from good ole U-turn Eric
who often posts distorted shots of The Glimmers for attention .....

ROCKMAN

Date: July 24, 2022 06:57

Never would post a pic of anyone who is suffering or dealing with illness - it's in complete bad taste.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 24, 2022 07:04

Rocky Dijon
Like Jerry Lewis before him, John bloated from medication he was prescribed. As the clip shows, he's got his health and weight under control. John went from punk to curmudgeon. He always has something to say and what he says is hardly damning. Mick has pouty lips and isn't a proper singer. True. John also notes he isn't a proper singer and just sounds envious that Mick's success is so overwhelming, but mainly he's just doing a "Johnny Rotten" and being an old curmudgeon for entertainment. You guys react as if he talked publicly about Mick having a tiny todger or disparaged him as Brenda or talked about him suffering from LV Syndrome or called his solo album "dogsh*t" or said he's not very good alone and should be kept on a short leash. On and on. In other words, John being a grump is hardly Keith for 30 years of endless media baiting at Mick's expense.

Brilliant takedown and thank you.

Date: July 24, 2022 07:10

HHhaaaaa and this is coming from good ole U-turn Eric
who often posts distorted shots of The Glimmers especially
Mick Jagger for attention .....

ROCKMAN

Date: July 24, 2022 07:15

Never would post a pic of anyone who is suffering or dealing with illness - it's in complete bad taste.
One word - karma.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 24, 2022 07:24

Let’s get real,The day Elvis died Mick Jagger became the King of Rock and Roll.
That’s how it is.

You can’t change it by posting some bullshit online, you can call him names and act like you’re somehow aligned with his belligerent guitar player, you can pretend some sugar pop 60s idol or angry politician posing as a rock singer doing stadiums are in his league, they’re not.

Nobody can touch that muthrfckr.some washed up little pissant who’s 15 minutes of fame was up 45 years ago even saying his name is laughable.

Date: July 24, 2022 07:37

One word - karma.

Well if ya so worried about aging
rock-stars ya should donate the proceeds
from your jumping castle that you posted not long back ..... HHHHaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: July 24, 2022 11:01

swimtothemoon
crholmstrom
his wife and her care.

Does that make him special? There are hundreds of millions of men taking care of their ill wives (or vise verse, etc.). There are, however, people that mentally can't live with the fact that those Rolling Stones are still succesfully rolling on with the spotlights on them all over the world. He is one of them. Sad, sad, sad.
I can, to some extend, understand that one shouldn't mock on sickness of people, but Rockman's photo tells me only one thing: the guy wants/needs the world to know he's still there and so the world can feel sorry for him as his clearly voluntairy appearence shows, else he wouldn't allow that picture to be published.

smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Date: July 24, 2022 11:59

Lurv Johnny's Pommie wit ....
Pretty sure he can take as good as he gives ...
Most Septic Tanks probably wouldnt get half it ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: July 24, 2022 12:10

treaclefingers
Rocky Dijon
Like Jerry Lewis before him, John bloated from medication he was prescribed. As the clip shows, he's got his health and weight under control. John went from punk to curmudgeon. He always has something to say and what he says is hardly damning. Mick has pouty lips and isn't a proper singer. True. John also notes he isn't a proper singer and just sounds envious that Mick's success is so overwhelming, but mainly he's just doing a "Johnny Rotten" and being an old curmudgeon for entertainment. You guys react as if he talked publicly about Mick having a tiny todger or disparaged him as Brenda or talked about him suffering from LV Syndrome or called his solo album "dogsh*t" or said he's not very good alone and should be kept on a short leash. On and on. In other words, John being a grump is hardly Keith for 30 years of endless media baiting at Mick's expense.

Brilliant takedown and thank you.
"Isn't a proper singer"
That's the biggest bullsh*t I read today. Mick is the most proper Rock'n'Roll singer a Rock'n'Roll singer can be. Sure he's no Pavarotti but do you think a Pavorotti or an musical singer (if that's what you think a "proper" singer is) would fit into a rock n roll band? Or what do you think is a proper singer?
Go and listen to some Musical or Opera if that's where you find a "proper" singer. As for Rock'n'roll I couldn't imagine any better singer than Mick Jagger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-24 12:13 by StonedRambler.

Date: July 24, 2022 12:16

Hairball
swimtothemoon
crholmstrom
his wife and her care.

And as mentioned, he was on strong medication a while back causing him to look bloated. Shame on those who stoop low to make fun of his appearance while he was ill, and they should hope it never happens to them.
Thankfully he's overcome those health issues, and is back to his feisty self while being a dedicated husband after all these years to his wife who is struggling with Alzheimers.
Of course that's not cool and everything, but because he has issues in his own life he's trying to talk down lther people? Well if that gives him some comfort he can do it. But it doesn't show of any good personality

Date: July 24, 2022 12:35

Pat Boone he'd be a proper rocknroll singer wouldnt he ????????

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 24, 2022 13:31

Tongue and cheek, everybody. It's Johnny - don't make a hen out of a feather. I'm sure Jagger wouldn't care - he would only return the favor in a similar fashion.

Date: July 24, 2022 13:39

Yep ....

ROCKMAN

Date: July 24, 2022 13:40

Rockman
Pat Boone he'd be a proper rocknroll singer wouldnt he ????????
ROFL grinning smiley

Date: July 24, 2022 16:38

Stoneage
Tongue and cheek, everybody. It's Johnny - don't make a hen out of a feather. I'm sure Jagger wouldn't care - he would only return the favor in a similar fashion.

The fact that this isn't obvious to everyone is puzzling.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 24, 2022 17:34

That was a great interview! Good to see John's in good spirits again. I like his humor, accent, working class palness and whatever. Always make me laugh. Saw some time ago a punk history series. His wit, common sense and take on the times was freshing among all that nostalgia hype by other talking heads.

What goes for a comment about Mick, those two English gentlemen have a secret love affair between them, and I am sure Mick would laugh his arse off like I do. Of course, like from the day first when Rotten made his break through it was Mick he was compared to, the world biggest English rock star and an original 'bad boy' being both a measurement and a contrast in many ways. The Pistols funnily both followed the example and route shown by the Stones, but also refusing/not being able to take the aristocratic rock star status. Like John shouting out loud then 'we don' t want to end up like the Stones'. And Mick's still there at the very top... I am pretty sure John sees and loves the irony that that dude is still so succesfull, and him, well..

- Doxa

EDIT: to know something about Mick's secret personal relationship to the Pistols, I advice to read the NME article that is linked in this thread. Even Lydon didn't know for years that Mick had helped Sid Vicious.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-24 23:37 by Doxa.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 24, 2022 23:10

This place cracks me up. No, Mick isn't a proper singer. He approaches singing mostly like a blues man. He talks his way through most songs. Am I knocking him? Of course not. That's what he wants to be just like Keith doesn't try to be Clapton. Mick's the greatest front man of all time and an amazing songwriter and very underrated musician. Likewise, Keith is nowhere near being in the same class with truly masterful guitarists. He's still my favorite for his feel and for the riff he brings out so effortlessly. The Stones are the greatest band not because they're a bunch of virtuosos, but because somehow, despite all of their shortcomings, they produced deceptively simple music that hooked you on first listen and were then absolutely compelling performers to witness in concert.

Why act as if you're in danger of losing your #1 fan badge if you don't defend poor Mick from Johnny Rotten saying something silly about him? John's opinion, even if true, doesn't diminish Mick's accomplishments or somehow make his records or concerts less enjoyable. Good God, if Tiger Beat was still publishing Beatles vs. Stones articles, there'd be fist fights on the playground from some of you. "Don't pick on my Mick! Only Keith can do that!"

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 24, 2022 23:35

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-24 23:36 by Doxa.

Date: July 25, 2022 00:36

This place cracks me up.

Good ta see IORR is still gettin' ya Rocky .... HHHHaaaaa

Stay Safe ole buddy ..

ROCKMAN

Date: July 25, 2022 01:05

Rocky Dijon
This place cracks me up. No, Mick isn't a proper singer. He approaches singing mostly like a blues man. He talks his way through most songs. Am I knocking him? Of course not. That's what he wants to be just like Keith doesn't try to be Clapton. Mick's the greatest front man of all time and an amazing songwriter and very underrated musician. Likewise, Keith is nowhere near being in the same class with truly masterful guitarists. He's still my favorite for his feel and for the riff he brings out so effortlessly. The Stones are the greatest band not because they're a bunch of virtuosos, but because somehow, despite all of their shortcomings, they produced deceptively simple music that hooked you on first listen and were then absolutely compelling performers to witness in concert.

Why act as if you're in danger of losing your #1 fan badge if you don't defend poor Mick from Johnny Rotten saying something silly about him? John's opinion, even if true, doesn't diminish Mick's accomplishments or somehow make his records or concerts less enjoyable. Good God, if Tiger Beat was still publishing Beatles vs. Stones articles, there'd be fist fights on the playground from some of you. "Don't pick on my Mick! Only Keith can do that!"

I love some of the things you wrote but that "isn't a proper singer" triggers me still. Sorry! "He approaches singing mostly like a blues man" - and exactly that makes him a proper rock n roll singer. If he would approach singing like an opera singer or a musical singer then he would not be a proper rock n roll singer! The way Mick sings he definitely is.

I really couldn't imagine a better rock n roll singer than Mick Jagger. His voice is not beautiful (in a convention way), it sounds nasty and gritty. And that the most proper rock n roll voice I can imagine.

So yes, he IS a proper singer (for rock n roll - for other styles of music surely not)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-25 01:05 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: July 25, 2022 01:28

Surprising, how much people here take Johnny Rotten/Lydon seriously. Yes, he is and always has been a great performer (like Jagger). Without him, the Pistols would have been a tight but boring pub-band. He did even greater stuff with PIL.
But he has fallen in the "punk" trap: this desperate need to be "controversial", to be "provocative", all this nonsense about being "working class" (admittedly he comes from there, but so do Elton John, Ringo Star and Bill Wyman, and you wouldn't call them working class now, would you?) and voting Trump for whatever moronic reason and starting an argument about everything, behaving like a 16 year old trying to shock his parents. A bit sad.
In some ways, Rotten and Jagger have a lot of common, but whereas Jagger comes from a place of true love for music, with Rotten, his need to be "a nasty bugger" seems to be bigger than his love for music (which undoubtely he has too). Pathetic. A pity.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: July 25, 2022 02:11

Nothing he says can be taken seriously.
Butter?

Date: July 25, 2022 04:13

StonedRambler
Rocky Dijon

I love some of the things you wrote but that "isn't a proper singer" triggers me still. Sorry! "He approaches singing mostly like a blues man" - and exactly that makes him a proper rock n roll singer. If he would approach singing like an opera singer or a musical singer then he would not be a proper rock n roll singer! The way Mick sings he definitely is.

I really couldn't imagine a better rock n roll singer than Mick Jagger. His voice is not beautiful (in a convention way), it sounds nasty and gritty. And that the most proper rock n roll voice I can imagine.

So yes, he IS a proper singer (for rock n roll - for other styles of music surely not)

Even Mick wouldn't take umbrage to that comment. He's no Freddie Mercury or David Bowie, or Robert Plant or even Paul McCartney. But the character of the voice is what makes the music, along with the music performances which are of course not always virtuoso either. But character of all of these players has kept us captivated and why it is almost impossible to replicate.

Date: July 25, 2022 06:39

This place cracks me up.

Good ta see IORR is still gettin' ya Rocky .... HHHHaaaaa

Stay Safe ole buddy ..

ROCKMAN

Date: July 25, 2022 07:51

treaclefingers
StonedRambler
Rocky Dijon

Even Mick wouldn't take umbrage to that comment. He's no Freddie Mercury or David Bowie, or Robert Plant or even Paul McCartney. But the character of the voice is what makes the music, along with the music performances which are of course not always virtuoso either. But character of all of these players has kept us captivated and why it is almost impossible to replicate.
If David Bowie is a better singer that Mick Jagger - I think that is REALLY up for debate. I don't think so, although I really like David's style. Freddie Mercury - sure he is technically, but that is no real rock n roll voice. Could you imagine something like Satisfaction or Paint it Black sung by Freddy Mercury? That vibrato would surely be totally over the top for the style the Stones have. No, Mick is a proper rock n roll singer. He's THE rock'n'roll singer. Range is not necessarily what makes a rock'n'rll singer, it's feel (on the other hand, from all of those old singers Mick is one of the few who kept his range) and a distinct character that is hard to define. Mick's voice can cut through a wall of guitars like no other. But it seems we actually have more or less the same opinion, so let's not argue over a few word.
Anyway, Mick is a proper rock n roll singer grinning smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-25 08:10 by StonedRambler.

Date: July 25, 2022 08:09

Keith is nowhere near being in the same class with
truly masterful guitarists. He's still my favorite for his
feel and for the riff he brings out so effortlessly.

Same 'ere Rocky .... line up 'em all dem so called
guitar heroes zzzzzzz but its always Keef who staggers me .....

ROCKMAN

Date: July 25, 2022 08:13

Rockman
Keith is nowhere near being in the same class with
truly masterful guitarists. He's still my favorite for his
feel and for the riff he brings out so effortlessly.

Same 'ere Rocky .... line up 'em all dem so called
guitar heroes zzzzzzz but its always Keef who staggers me .....
The thing is: Although Keith plays so minimalistic and simple, I've never in my life seen one guitarist who could properly replicate him. With Claptop or Page or Brian May I've seen people who replicated them extremely well.

The same with Charlie: I've never heard even one drummer who could play like Charlie Watts. Not even Steve Jordan can do it which is totally fine and it's good he doesn't even try to rrally imitate him. on the other hand there are quite a few Bonham imitators (including his Son) who do it really well.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-25 08:16 by StonedRambler.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1249
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home