Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Sittin' On A Fence
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 20, 2022 17:48

Just came across this. A duo called Twice As Much. No idea if it has shown up here before. As I listened I was wondering who they reminded me of and it hit me - this is the Simon and Garfunkel stylization of this song, music and vocals, at least IMHO.

[www.youtube.com]

Re: Sittin' On A Fence
Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: July 20, 2022 18:14

One of the first songs they wrote together right?

Date: July 20, 2022 18:15

Maybe they could perform it live on the SIXTY tour sometime.. like they dusted off Out of Time..

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 20, 2022 18:19

Produced by Jimmy Page, I think. The Twice As Much recording, that is.

Date: July 20, 2022 18:36

Big Al
Produced by Jimmy Page, I think. The Twice As Much recording, that is.

I stand corrected. According to Wikipedia, Andrew Loog Oldham was their producer and manager. They were on his Immediate label. I’m guessing Page is contributing some of the acoustic work, as the recording does appear on some of his 60’s sessions compilations.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: July 20, 2022 20:50

Perfect song for premiere at Gelsenkirchen next week.I've been hoping for years that they would play this beautiful song live.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 20, 2022 22:51

NilsHolgersson

No, the directors cut of Charlie Is My Darling shows Mick and Keith working on the song lyrics/guitar so that was Ireland tour Sept 65.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 20, 2022 22:59

Who are we kidding? Neither Stones guitarist has the finger dexterity to pull off Sittin' On A Fence in 2022.

Date: July 20, 2022 23:09

DGA35
NilsHolgersson

No, the directors cut of Charlie Is My Darling shows Mick and Keith working on the song lyrics/guitar so that was Ireland tour Sept 65.

Hmm okay. In Crossfire Hurricane and My Life as a Rolling Stone the footage is used when Mick talks about them trying to write a song in the early days, so that got me confused.

Date: July 20, 2022 23:10

24FPS
Who are we kidding? Neither Stones guitarist has the finger dexterity to pull off Sittin' On A Fence in 2022.

They wouldn’t be able too, I agree. If they did, it’s be with huge help from Chuck, like they have on, say, Angie.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 20, 2022 23:18

As as I remember they did more Stones songs...........

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 20, 2022 23:26

So get off the fence now .. you're creasing your butt

....................... Mixed Emotions - Jagger/Richards

ROCKMAN

Date: July 21, 2022 00:54

Big Al
24FPS

They wouldn’t be able too, I agree. If they did, it’s be with huge help from Chuck, like they have on, say, Angie.

Is Chuck 'helping' more than Nicky did on Angie?

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 21, 2022 03:38

I never even knew that they wrote this for another band

Date: July 21, 2022 08:50

DandelionPowderman
Big Al
24FPS

Is Chuck 'helping' more than Nicky did on Angie?

It just seems that Chuck is more dominant during the intro now than on previous tours. Ronnie and Keith’s guitar-work during the intro seems a little timid, now. Their playing on it was wonderful in the mid-90’s, but less so, today.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: July 21, 2022 08:58

..... if this song had been on "Aftermath" in place of "take it or leave it"...?..!

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: July 21, 2022 10:03

jp.M
..... if this song had been on "Aftermath" in place of "take it or leave it"...?..!

It is a very beautiful song. It was a little bit hidden over the years and was first released on the American "Flowers"-Album in 1967. In Europe first on a compilation, "Through the Past, darkly" in 1969.

Posted by: walkingthedog ()
Date: July 21, 2022 10:24

RobertJohnson
jp.M

It is a very beautiful song. It was a little bit hidden over the years and was first released on the American "Flowers"-Album in 1967. In Europe first on a compilation, "Through the Past, darkly" in 1969.

In most of Europe the "Flowers" album was released as a Decca export edition.Not in th UK though. These Decca export records are quite valuable. The Twice As Much single came out more than a year before Flowers.

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: July 21, 2022 15:06

NilsHolgersson
Maybe they could perform it live on the SIXTY tour sometime.. like they dusted off Out of Time..

Yes! This is one of their best songs of 67. I'm trying to do a version but it's pretty hard to play the Brian Jones part when you have to play the basic/rhythm part as well. My version is a bit country like...
I always wished, they play Out Of Tine and finaly they did.
So I'm sittin' on a fence...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1711
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home