Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 11 of 13
Re: Lyon France 19-July-2022 The Rolling Stones SIXTY Tour live show updates
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 20, 2022 15:52

rbk
LOL. The only time I ever saw a Stones show shortened for weather was Chicago '06 when the temperature was in the range of 7 degrees Celsius and Mick complained he "couldn't feel his feet."

Opening night in DC in '94 was likewise brutally hot with a healthy dose of humidity added to the mix. They played 27 songs however.

Yes, but that was 94. Twenty-eight years younger.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-20 15:53 by Green Lady.

Posted by: kkhoranstoned ()
Date: July 20, 2022 15:54

I always enjoy the supporting band being able to be highlighted
But you can always listen to the record..
Lots of Billy in 73 and 75

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 20, 2022 16:11

snoopy2
Nikkei
great observation by Alwyn Welch:

"Only Keith seemed to me to be immune to the heat – but then he loves the Caribbean, and is playing like a man possessed in the last few gigs – he probably just switched off his body’s heat sensors. "

True! Keith is playing great. I noticed this during the shows I attended in the U.S. last year, he was so engaged!

I'd already got a sense of this from the videos but I was struck by Keith's attitude last night, just so confident and to the point with his playing. No more hanging on by the skin of his teeth like in 2012 or putting on a show like Ronnie. Just the coolest cat taking a stroll on the stage of the best gig in the world, unreal!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: July 20, 2022 16:26

rbk
LOL. The only time I ever saw a Stones show shortened for weather was Chicago '06 when the temperature was in the range of 7 degrees Celsius and Mick complained he "couldn't feel his feet."

Opening night in DC in '94 was likewise brutally hot with a healthy dose of humidity added to the mix. They played 27 songs however.

They also shortened some shows in 07 due to the extreme heatwave. In Romania and Hungary there were heat records with temperatures over 40C. It's kind of ironic that the most extreme weather outdoor shows took place on the same tour within a span of 9 months between October 06 and July 07.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: July 20, 2022 16:47

Lots of fun last night at Groupama Stadium. One of the hotter shows I’ve ever attended. I must’ve sweated out 5 pounds. Can only imagine how the band felt afterwards. I’m guessing a mix of satisfaction over a solidly played show, and that they made it through the sauna like conditions.

Loved the song choices. Instead of a fan vote, they delivered both Dead Flowers and Angie. With inspired selections like these, I would be totally fine if they ditched the fan vote altogether. It was my first time seeing Out Of Time. Loved it, and thought they gave a great reading. A couple of songs (Paint It Black, for one)seemed a little less jammed out. Maybe they were trying to conserve their energy. I know I was. I saw ten people carried out after passing out from the heat from my spot dead center of the back of the gold pelouse section right in front of the end of the catwalk. I made sure to stay hydrated, and appreciated having a little space by the back of section spot in front of the GA Field barricade.

Thought the stadium security did an excellent job under tough conditions. Instead of focusing on an enforcement role, they were on top of the health risks, distributing water, and quickly getting to, assessing the condition of, and carrying out our fallen show comrades so they could receive quick attention.

I saw one older guy slumped over in the throes of overheating in one of the metal seats against the barrier. He was catatonic when they tried to ask him about his condition, so two of the security guys carried him out during Out Of Time. Amazingly he must have convinced them he was okay, because a half hour later, he was fully prone and passed out on the floor and he got carried out again. I was just glad when I saw his arm move, as it looked fairly critical. Hope he’s doing okay.

One weird thing with security was the lack of any sort of screening on the way in. No metal detectors or bag check. First big show I’ve been to in a long time where it’s been so wide open.

Thanks to Lyon and my wonderful hosts. I stayed about an hour’s drive out of town in St. Martin En Haut, in the foothills outside of town. It was 5-10 degrees cooler up there, which made for a nice place to come back to last night after the show. Really enjoyed seeing the French countryside, and sampling the legendary food and wine of the region. Some tasty unpasteurized craft beers too.

Merci pour l’experience de joie de vivre!

Lyon France 19-July-2022 The Rolling Stones SIXTY Tour
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 20, 2022 17:54

Richard Mouillaud

Date: July 20, 2022 17:55

Richard Mouillaud

Date: July 20, 2022 17:56

Richard Mouillaud

Date: July 20, 2022 17:57

Richard Mouillaud

Date: July 20, 2022 18:01

Richard Mouillaud

Date: July 20, 2022 19:49

Keith dresses so cool this tour. Mick not so much ino

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: July 20, 2022 20:17

Keith looks like some high-roller card shark you’d run into in some all night Vegas lizard lounge. Mick looks like he’s an Ice Follies extra, or some Euro-Vision wannabewinking smiley

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: July 20, 2022 20:19

Javadave

Thought the stadium security did an excellent job under tough conditions. Instead of focusing on an enforcement role, they were on top of the health risks, distributing water, and quickly getting to, assessing the condition of, and carrying out our fallen show comrades so they could receive quick attention.

That's lovely to hear. Can't praise them enough.

Javadave

One weird thing with security was the lack of any sort of screening on the way in. No metal detectors or bag check. First big show I’ve been to in a long time where it’s been so wide open.

Can't speak for the whole of Brussels, but it was the same there, were I got in.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 20, 2022 20:25

falo01

Can't speak for the whole of Brussels, but it was the same there, were I got in.

Same for me in Munich: got in w/o security-screening - must have been the postponed doors open due to the heavy rain.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 20, 2022 21:05

Dean Goodman gives more details on Mick's struggles:

"...the band scrapped “Gimme Shelter” after he started losing his voice. Of course we don’t know
if his issues are heatwave-related or something else,and whether he will be OK for Paris on Saturday.".

"It’s a real shame because Mick had been singing much better than in Vienna. A pretty good show now becomes pretty historic with the absence of “Gimme Shelter,”'

"Bernard did more singing on “Jumpin’ Jack Flash” than Mick did, and at the end Mick could be seen speaking animatedly with Keith who shrugged
in agreement as they left the stage for the encore. Correctly this time, I assumed it would be a one-song deal and that “Gimme Shelter” would be shelved".

Full review: Lyon

Only four more to go in what has become a series of shows with many ups and downs, and twists and turns along the way.
Hope Mick is feeling better, and fully recovers for Paris and the final stretch of the last few shows. thumbs up

Posted by: StonesSmeth99 ()
Date: July 20, 2022 21:25

Hairball
Dean Goodman gives more details on Mick's struggles:

"...the band scrapped “Gimme Shelter” after he started losing his voice. Of course we don’t know
if his issues are heatwave-related or something else,and whether he will be OK for Paris on Saturday.".

"It’s a real shame because Mick had been singing much better than in Vienna. A pretty good show now becomes pretty historic with the absence of “Gimme Shelter,”'

"Bernard did more singing on “Jumpin’ Jack Flash” than Mick did, and at the end Mick could be seen speaking animatedly with Keith who shrugged
in agreement as they left the stage for the encore. Correctly this time, I assumed it would be a one-song deal and that “Gimme Shelter” would be shelved".

Full review: Lyon

Only four more to go in what has become a series of shows with many ups and downs, and twists and turns along the way.
Hope Mick is feeling better, and fully recovers for Paris and the final stretch of the last few shows. thumbs up

At no point did Mick lose his voice, he just knew what needed to be done to ensure the next show goes ahead, the Parisians (and a significant number of Americans and South Americans, moving on up from Lyon 90 minutes away) get further satisfaction, and £millions are secured from the show for the band and company. #DecisionMaking

Satisfaction was absolutely fine at the end. Agree with the reviewers that Mick's singing was very good for the most part. Mick'n'Keith have made this #mini-tour memorable and wholly worthwhile.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 20, 2022 21:28

from Matt Lee's video, Keith carrying the weight, anticipating mick on the rails on TD, very tight on HTW, a great YGTS, perfect

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 20, 2022 21:54

maumau
from Matt Lee's video, Keith carrying the weight, anticipating mick on the rails on TD, very tight on HTW, a great YGTS, perfect

thumbs up

When one of them falters or struggles, there's always the other one to fill the void; they make a great team in more ways than one.
In this case, seems Mick needed the support of his teammates (same with *Vegas '16)- especially towards the end of the show when it was decided to drop Gimme Shelter.

From Francois Galaup:

"Some trouble with Mick’s voice beginning with Sympathy where Mick in second half seem to talk instead of singing.
18 songs and only 2 hours with no Gimme shelter and that’s a shame".

Yet from most accounts it was mostly a good show, and with You Got the Silver, Happy, and Midnight Rambler being played (along with many other great tunes), how could it not be!
Looking forward to following along with Paris and the remaining few shows, and hoping Mick bounces back at 100% for the final stretch - pretty sure he will!

Posted by: voodoodrew ()
Date: July 20, 2022 22:26

Really like the version of tumbling dice from this show. Steve’s drumming brings back just a hint of the early 70s groove.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: July 20, 2022 22:38

My favorite Stones from way back. I keep getting amazed as they play this every night. Were Micks assistants reading here, this board, that we all love this throwback? Just might be. This puts me back into a time machine when I was young and stupid and even innocent.
My comment is more synth marimbas and more prominent. I believe Bill Wyman (actually it was Brian Jones) gets the marimbas credit on the original recording

[en.wikipedia.org])
"Out of Time" is a song by the Rolling Stones, first released on their 1966 album Aftermath (UK version). The most commercially successful version of the song was by Chris Farlowe, an English solo artist. Farlowe's single, produced by Mick Jagger, peaked at number one in the UK Singles Chart on 28 July 1966 and stayed at the top for one week.[1] A shorter alternative mix of the Rolling Stones' recording was released in the US in 1967 on the album Flowers. A third version featuring Jagger's lead vocal and the orchestration and backing vocals from Farlowe's cover version (plus a new female backing vocal) was released on the 1975 rarities album Metamorphosis and as a single.

The song was never performed live by the Stones until June 2022.[2]

Date: July 20, 2022 22:44

and Midnight Rambler being played like this

hope mick is doing good

Date: July 20, 2022 22:54

can't forget the amsterdam reviewer thta said Keith was finished

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-20 23:00 by maumau.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: July 20, 2022 22:55

I was at the show and LUV’d it! Just great. As to the great dropped GS discussion - is it ‘possible’ maybe Sasha didn’t have Shelter in her? She did miss a show, right? Something to ponder. It ‘does’ require the vocal gymnastics of the show, and at the end of 2 hours in that heat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-20 22:58 by DEmerson.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: July 20, 2022 23:09

maumau

hope mick is doing good

But hey, they played Happy!

Posted by: bluenote ()
Date: July 20, 2022 23:10

I am really getting nervous reading messages like 'Mick lost his voice' as I am so much looking forward to the Gelsenkirchen gig next week! You saved my rest a bit winking smiley

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: July 20, 2022 23:37

Topi - thanks for the Rambler link. It’s always a highlight - pity this video’s sound gets messed up during Ronnie’s blazing ending solo. Make no mistake - they were cooking last night. Of course the sound comes back at the end.

Date: July 20, 2022 23:37

bluenote
I am really getting nervous reading messages like 'Mick lost his voice' as I am so much looking forward to the Gelsenkirchen gig next week! You saved my rest a bit winking smiley
Yeah and worried for paris… hope all will be well.

Posted by: bluenote ()
Date: July 20, 2022 23:42

After being in the Amsterdam stadium when they came on stage telling us it was cancelled, I can't really rest before the gig is over grinning smiley

Date: July 21, 2022 00:16

Topi
maumau

hope mick is doing good

But hey, they played Happy!

?

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: July 21, 2022 00:43

Maybe it's already posted somewhere: I was suprised by the crowd singing the Satisfaction riff - during the show and after. Who did it start, the fans from South America (ha, you know how in works...)?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 11 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1960
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home